Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for your information. It's different from what I thought. You wrote down some examples using different variations, and I find it little hard for me to come up with a program on my own.

It would be great if you could come up with a program for me and newbies that can benefit from this since this program is different weekly with bodyparts/speed change ups.

I'd be happy to give you additional information about myself if that would help you write up a more solid program.

And again thank you for all your help!

Pete
    Pete,

Here is the template from the 'Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy' program:

PHASE 1

Week 1:
    Monday – Chest / Triceps / Shoulders
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat
    Focus (Front or Back), Deadlift
    Accessory (SLDL or Deficit)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – *Strongman (Volume)
    Sunday - Rest

Week 2:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Deadlift
    Focus (Rack Pull, Standard),
    Squat Accessory (Front, Box)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – **Strongman (Speed)
    Sunday - Rest

Week 3
    Monday – Chest / Back
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Speed –
    Power Cleans, Jump Squats, Power or
    Hang Snatch
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Biceps / Triceps / Shoulders
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – ***Strongman (Power)
    Sunday - Rest

Week 4
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat
    Focus (Front or Back), Deadlift
    Accessory (SLDL or Deficit)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – *Strongman (Volume)
    Sunday - Rest

PHASE 2

Repeat training sessions from weeks one, two, and three.

Week 5 = Week 1 Workout
    Week 6 = Week 2 Workout
    Week 7 = Week 3 Workout
    Week 8 (DELOAD)

Active recovery activities can be performed such as stretching, walking, swimming, or cycling. Make sure to get plenty of rest and consume an ample amount of protein.

A Word on Progression

As with any program, the goal is to make progressive increases from week to week by increasing volume, weight, reps, or decreasing the time in which the workout is completed. One effective way to make progress is a dual-progression program alternating between volume objectives and power objectives from week to week and constantly aiming to break previous PRs.

For example, an athlete with a 350 lb 1RM incline press might do 225-250 lbs for max reps one week (aiming for 15+) and then try to improve his 3 RM the following week (315+ lbs). This approach will provide further balance of strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning, which is a theme of this program.

Gym Training Information:

Here is what I would recommend for a typical gym training session:

Gym Training Workout:
    - Warmup (Low Intensity) 4-8 Sets
    - Primary Movement (Heavy / High Intensity) 1-3 Sets
    - Superset [Primary/Accessory] (Moderate-High Intensity) 2 Sets
    - Accessory Work [1-3 exercises] 5-10 Sets

Primary Movements:

Chest / Shoulders / Triceps:
    - Incline Barbell Press
    - Incline Dumbbell Press
    - Close Grip Bench Press
    - Dumbbell Bench Press
    - Decline Barbell Press

Lower Body:
    - Front Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Squat
    - Deadlift Variations (rack pull, etc.)

Back / Biceps:
    - Chins or Weighted Chins
    - Dumbbell Rows
    - Barbell Rows

Secondary Movements:

Chest / Shoulders / Triceps:
    - Standing Military Press
    - Weighted Dips
    - Overhead BB Extensions (Triceps)
    - Seated DB Military Press
    - Flyes

Lower Body:
    - Squat & Squat Variations
    - Deadlift Variations
    - Cleans
    - Walking or Standing Lunges
    - Weighted Step-Up's
    - High rep machine work.

Back/Biceps:
    - Hammer Strength Machines
    - V-Bar Pulldowns or Rows
    - High Pulls
    - Underhand BB Rows
    - Hammer Curls
    - Barbell Curls
    - Dumbbell Curls
    - Preacher Curls

Specific workouts would depend on that specific individual's background and goals.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Tom,

Finally reached my goal of 115lb for BB curls but i find that the weight places a lot of pressure on my wrists. Could this be because of lack of fore-arm development?
    Heavy barbell curls can be tough on your wrists. I would try placing your hands a little bit farther apart, or just go with an EZ-curl bar instead.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Trepkos -

I actually apply similar principals in my training from time to time; mixing in variety with intensity and rep ranges. It seems to work well in that the 'power' set will help you to build strength but the 'volume' set provides you with enough overall stimulus for optimal hypertrophy.

Your muscle strain sounds like it might be your serratus? Is it still bothering you? Did you have any bruising or swelling?

Hope your training is going well.
    No bruising or swelling, I took two weeks off from Chest day, and took a easier approach to dips beginning with bench dips, then to bodyweight dips, and now to 45lb weighted dips to see how they felt on my chest. The last workout with 45lb weighted dips felt fine, I even benched 135lbs to see how that felt on my chest and though I still noticed just a slight agitation in that area, it was obvious that it had evidently healed quite a bit.

Only problem is, this does mess up my progression routine a little bit since I do like to keep all my exercises deloading at the same time. 3 weeks on, 1 week deload, which works well with all my progression routines for bb rows, overhead press, squats and deadlifts. I'll probably just focus the next few weeks on slowly building my chest back up instead of jumping into week 2 of the 8/5/3 progression routine with fairly heavy weights. I'lll probably be back at the point of lifting heavier on chest after the next deload.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Tom,

So I've been doing 3 sets of 5 reps for deadlifts the last 6 months or so and that brought my deadlift from 225 x 5 to 335 x 5. However, the last couple of workouts I haven't been able to progress. I think I need to change my reps/sets scheme.

Do you have any advice on what to change the reps/sets to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I need to worry about doing special exercises for my "weak points" because my whole body is weak haha.

This is what my current routine looks like below:

Monday- Bench + assistance

Wed-Squats + assistance

Fri-Military Press + assistance

Monday-Deadlifts + assistance

Wed- Bench + assistance

etc..

Currently as assistance for deadlifts I do leg press, glute ham raises, and weighted ab work. On squat days for assistance I do romanian deadlifts, lunges, and weighted ab work.

I don't think diet is an issue. I'm eating 300 grams of protein a day and around 4000 calories a day. My weight has been the same for the last couple of months (around 185-190 at 5'8").

I'm currently not trying to gain any weight because I think I need to get stronger at my current weight before I try to bulk more.

My other best lifts that would be relevant to deadlifts are box squat 280x7, weighted chins 55x7, and db rows 100 x 12

Below is a video of me deadlifting. This was 335 x 5 (but the video cut short).

Do you see anything in my form that needs to be changed?

Video

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks alot for all your help!
    Last edited by punkguitarist; 03-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.

hey Tom

I was wondering if increases in poundage lifted/reps performed is necessary for muscle gains. Even if someone is lifting to failure and slowly gaining weight each week, if their lifts aren't going up, does that mean that they aren't gaining any muscle mass at all and the weight they are gaining is coming purely from fat?

Like if I can only do 6 reps of X weight for dumbbell curls and have been stuck on that x poundage/ 6 reps but still going to failure and gaining weight each week, are my efforts at muscle building all in vain?

Or if my strength stays the same, but I lift to failure each week and consistently gain weight, will muscle growth happen?
    Last edited by snikez; 03-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    For 5/3/1 I do:
    Day 1
    OH Press 5/3/1
    French Press
    Push Jerk
    DB Rows with a 2 inch thick DB

Day 2
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Deadlift Assistance (not sure what yet)
    GMs
    Side Bends w/ 2 inch thick DB
    Grippers-light repitition work

Day 3
    off

Day 4
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Bench Press w/ 3 sec pause at bottom
    Barbell Rows w/ supinated grip
    Push Press

Day 5
    Squats 5/3/1
    ATG Squats (no belt, no wraps) with pause at bottom
    Grippers - ME work
    Rolling Thunder - ME work
    Sumo Deadlift

I have:
    CoC Grippers: Sport, Guide, Trainer, #1 and #2 (I'm about a half-inch from closing the #1, its about 10 years old and I think its a little harder than the listed weight b/c I have no problem with the Trainer for higher reps,its new)
    Hardy Handshake
    Rolling Thunder Handle
    2 inch thick DB handles

My goal for grip is mostly to be able to close the #2 eventually and to get a Rolling Thunder deadlift of 150lbs+ (I've gotten triples with 100lbs lately).

My log has some grip training it as well. I'm open to pretty much anything.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Matt
    Matt,

To set up an effective program you would first want to determine what type of grip strength you want to work. There are a few different types of grip strength, and not much (if any) carryover between them. Having strong wrists is also important and can sometimes impact your grip.

Types Of Grip Strength:
    • Crushing grip strength: Giving a firm handshake is an example of crushing strength.
    • Supporting grip strength: Being able to exert crushing strength on an object and sustain it for a period of time. For example, heavy deadlifts would require strong supporting strength.
    • Pinch grip strength: Grasping and lifting an object placed between your thumb and fingers is an example of pinch gripping strength. This type of grip strength relies very heavily on the strength of the thumb. An example would be pinching plates together (smooth side out) and lifting them off the ground).

Assuming that you want to have balanced grip strength I would recommend direct grip training 2X per week and splitting your workouts into 'Crusing/Pinch' and 'Supporting'. Some of your regular training such as fat bar rows, deadlifts, or chins will also work your grip.

The way that I would structure grip training into your program would be something like this:

Matt's 5/3/1 With Grip:
    Day 1 - OH Press Focus
    Day 2 - Deadlift Focus, Supporting Grip
    Day 3 - Rest
    Day 4 - Bench Press Focus
    Day 5 - Squat Focus, Pinch / Crushing Grip

*For your accessory work I would move DB rows from Day 1 to Day 2.

Specific Workouts:
    I would train to failure on grip exercises. Generally for holds you want to be in the 30-60 second range, and for repetitions on pinch grip or grippers you can stick with the 2-15 rep range. Chalk is helpful, and make sure to shave down your calluses if you are doing a lot of grip work so that you do not tear them.

Supporting Grip:
    - Weighted Hangs (revolving bar is more challenging)
    - Dumbbell Holds or Farmers Walk
    - Barbell Holds or Shrugs

Pinch / Crushing Grip:
    - Grippers
    - Rolling Thunder
    - Plate Pinches

Hope this helps, please let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss with regard to your program / diet / etc.

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    So far I am down 12 pounds and 2 inches off my waist line. I went back to just hitting the weights 3 times a week ( push/pull/legs ) and trying to improve my work capacity. I think that you are right too that when I do add in the conditioning day just keep it at complexes, GPP etc..

One question I do have is do you think I should add in the conditioning day now or wait? Im at the gym 4 days a week anyway ( 3 weight lifting days, and a 4th hiit & core day ) and I have been considering it, just starting simple and easy and working my way up to harder workouts as conditioning improves.
    My recommendation would be to slowly work in the conditioning. Any drastic changes to your program could present you with recovery problems. I usually suggest starting out with one 20 minute session and then progressing from there.

Here is an example of how you can 'ramp up' the conditioning work:

Week 1 - Add one 20 minute conditioning session.
    Week 2 - Extend the conditioning session to 30 minutes.
    Week 3 - Drop the conditioning session back to 20 minutes and add a second 20 minute session.
    Week 4 - Increase both conditioning sessions to 25 minutes.
    Week 5 - Increase both conditioning sessions to 30 minutes.
    Week 6 - Decrease sessions to 20 minutes and add an additional session (total of three).

With (3) weight training days and an HITT/Core day you should do well with three 20-30 minute conditioning sessions.

Wannabebig Member

Hello

Hello Tom,

My name is Dustin Reed and Im 18 years old and have been training to compete in strongman comps(first show is actually in two weeks Central Georgia Novice Light weight) and have been trying to come up with a good routine as I have never really focused on strength training other than oly lifting. But I was wandering if you would please look over this routine for me. I am actually using a template you wrote that focuses on pressing as I am a weak presser. Just wandering if there is anything in your opinion I should change rep, sets, or whatever just want to grow.

Monday: Technique Pressing Day
    Standing Military Press: 5x5(strict)
    Wide Pulldowns: 4x8
    DB Rows: 5x5
    BB Curl: 4x8

Tuesday: Heavy Squat/ DE Lower Body
    Close Squats: 6x3
    Power Clean: 5x3
    Glute Raise: 4x10
    Weighted Abs: 4x10

Thursday: Heavy Press and Triceps
    Standing Military Press: 5x3
    DB Push Press: 5x3(focus on speed)
    Rope Press: 6x6

Saturday: Moving Events
    Farmers Walk
    Rock Carry
    Yoke
    Stones

I will switch my technique and heavy press days between a log and a fat bar once I am able to obtain them just taking longer than I like. Also every week the assitance exercises will be changed as well but, will work same muscle (ie.. glute ham alt with RDL).

My stats are:
    5'7 with shoes lol.
    210-215lbs
    Squat:300lbs
    Deadlift:405lbs strapless
    Push Press:230lbs
    Strict Press:155 for 3 or 4 reps.

Thank you so much for your time.

Ok,

This might sound funny or clichι or however you wanna name it..but my right arm is bigger than my left, basicly my whole right side is bigger than my leg, it's somewhere between unnoticable and noticable or however you write that? the right side just looks a little "thicker" not much, but you can see it. i know it's common and i stopped giving a damn about it a while ago, i mean i still try to get it even but meh doesn't really seem to work at least not for the thickness part.

now where the problem lies is that my left arm was really making good progress on getting to the same level as my right strenght-wise, unfortunatly strenght doesn't bring along thickness, anyways, today it felt like my left arm went all the way back to zero..i mean i got to the point where my right arm could do about 3 reps or something more than my left today i felt like my right could do 10 reps more or something..my left arm just felt weaker than usual..and i can't really remember doing anything special this week..i don't care about the thickness if it comes it comes if it doesn't oh well..but i'd like for them to be on the same level strenght wise..

now i've always tried to focus more on dumbell exercises or exercises where i can use one arm at a time and it went great..till now..i've recently started PRRS training and i was wondering if it could have anything to do with that program? if you don't know what it is you can read it here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6398381
    i highly doubt it's from jacking off or anything cuz that hasn't influenced me in the past either ha..

so basicly..yeah i was wondering if it could be the program..or maybe i've added one or two compound movements where my right arm takes more weight than my left so i'll check my program out later i'm just curious
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Tom what are your thoughts on using a trap bar to deadlift instead of a barbell

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    No problem man.

I'm not really afraid of getting injuries, because i'm not "hurting" myself; i just don't really feel it in my upper back, so maybe i should incorporate rack pulls as well..

Well, recently i stumbled across an article about PRRS training and i'm currently building a template around it; i've just finished "constructing" my power week; still need to figure out what i'm going to do the other two weeks; but currently my split is: chest/biceps - back/triceps - legs/shoulders/lower back. so 3 day split.
    Along with Rack Pulls you may also want to try some olympic lifting variations to target your Upper Back; in many cases they are much more effective than standard deadlifts if you are simply looking for Back development.

Here are a few options:
    • Snatch Grip Deadlifts
    • High Pulls
    • Clean Pulls
    • Pulls from Blocks
    • Hang Cleans

If you would like to give it a try I would just start off with light weight and higher volume then see how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Tom,

I wanted to start implementing some strongman stuff into my Westside routine. Would the best way to do this be to use the strongman stuffas conditioning 2-3 times a week? Or should I implement it into the Westside routine? Thanks.
    Another gentleman recently asked about this and here was my response:

"My recommendation would be to focus on one, to split into phases, or to spread out your template.

If you are going to include intense strongman training then I would break out your Westside workouts over the course of 10-14 days instead of (7) days. This will allow for greater recovery and enable you to perform the events day without it having a negative impact on your gym training, or vice versa.

The other option would be to alternate between PL-focus and SM-focus for smaller cycles (4-6 weeks) and then deload and switch focus. While focusing on PL you can still train SM events but would train them for 'technique only'. While focusing on SM you would still do PL movements but would follow more of a 'maintenance' program and probably stay at or under 85%."

In your case it sounds like you would like to continue with powerlifting and perhaps just add some strongman training for GPP/Conditioning - which would be fine. There are a couple of options and it really depends on the availability of equipment and your schedule. If you have the equipment at home or readily availalbe then I would recommend hitting 2-3 sessions per week with implements but doing very low volume and intensity. The other option would be to just have a 'Strongman Day' where you hit 3-4 events (low intensity).

Let me know if you have any specific objectives with regard to your training and I can come up with something more detailed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Tom if you could give me a more detailed Routine for arms that would be great. Thanks for the reply man you are very informative and i would like to thank you for putting your time in to help people you dont even know.

I personally like the 5 day split if it could possibly be put into a 5 day routine it would be great if not its all good but ya thanks in advance
    Here is my original post:

"If you wanted to focus on arms I would train them early in the week and would likely increase frequency to twice per week for that bodypart while moderating the volume/intensity of the workouts. You can split the workouts into 'high intensity' or 'volume'.

Another way to optimize your goals would be to follow a 'maintenance program' for other body parts, esentially saving your intensity for the arm training sessions and making sure that other upper body training does not push you into overtraining.

There are some routines that combine both intensity and volume such as GVT. I made fantastic gains the first time that I followed this protocol for 3-4 weeks (arms only) and for the rest of my body I just did typical 'bodybuilder' workouts with moderate weights and standard rep/set schemes.

A lot of times simply adding in some shock principals and prioritizing a bodypart is enough to spark great gains without having to go to drastic measures. One thing to keep in mind is that your biceps/triceps are smaller muscle groups and so the gains will not be as drastic as a program that focused on chest/back/legs.

Please let me know if you would like to set up a detailed program and I would be happy to put something together for you."

Here is a template that implements the methods discussed above:

PigOut's Arm Building Program:
    Monday: Arms (Primary)
    Tuesday: Rest / Recovery
    Wednesday: Chest / Back
    Thursday: Lower Body
    Friday: Shoulders & Arms (Secondary)
    Saturday: Rest / Cardio
    Sunday: Rest / Cardio

Specific Workouts:

Monday - Arms (Primary)
    - Close Grip Bench Press, 3 sets
    - Alternating DB Curls, 3 sets
    - Overhead Extension / Dips (Superset), 3 sets
    - Hammer Curls / Preacher Curls (Superset), 2 sets
    - Pushdowns (Giant Set), 1 sets
    - Machine Curls (Giant Set), 1 set

Wednesday - Chest & Back
    - DB Bench Press, 3 sets
    - Chins (Weighted), 3 sets
    - Incline BB Press, 2 sets
    - DB Rows, 2 sets
    - Machine Press / Decline Flye (Superset), 2 sets
    - Close Grip Pulldown / Medium Grip Low Pulley Row (Superset), 2 sets

Thursday - Lower Body
    - Squats, 4 sets
    - SLDL, 4 sets
    - Leg Press (Giant Set), 1-2 sets
    - Leg Extension / Leg Curl (Superset), 1-2 sets

Friday - Shoulders & Arms
    - Seated DB Miitary Press, 3 sets
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset, 2 sets
    - Rear Delt, 2 sets
    - Machine Military Press (Giant Set), 1 set
    - Barbell Curls, 2 sets
    - Bench Dips, 2 sets
    - Rope Pushdown (facing away) / Rope Curl Superset, 2 sets

The rep range will depend on the exercise but I would generally stay between 5-12 reps on everything. You should find a balance between challenging weights and perfect form. Since your objective is to gain size you want to train with high intensity but also stay very focused and make sure that you are utilizing the target muscle group for each exercise.

If you wanted to spark some quick growth I would try a GVT protocol for 1-2 weeks and then jump into a program like this (train Arms on your normal day and simply do GVT for barbell curls and a compound triceps movement on that day, no additional work).

Hope this helps, please let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss.

This helps immensly Tom idk how you do it but you always seem to get a great program down thanks

So Tom what you're saying is do the GVT on the primary arm day just a compund movement for both bicep and tricep. Then just follow the rest of the program? Even the secondary arm day?

Banned
    Tom,

apparently one of the strongman competitions i'm doing over the next month has a firetruck pull as a final event. I'll be in the novice LW (200 and under) division and am expected to pull it 30ft for time.

Just wondering if you can provide advice for this or if I'm even capable of pulling the damn thing.
    -CM

Hi Tom,

What sort of training do you do for strong man events and how could I incorporate those into a 40 minute GPP session?

I'm looking for something fun for my friends and I that would take place outdoors, build a bit of muscle and help my cardio which sucks at the moment. Would doing a short strong man training session each week be a good idea for those goals?

Thanks,

Clover

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Tom,

I’ve just finished my winter bulk, but I’d like to see if you would tweak it in any way to allow me to gain hypertrophy for the big 3. I’ve been doing squat, bench, incline bench, and deadlifts for the past three years as part of the Bill Starr 5x5 program where your first set is at roughly 55% of rep max, and your fifth set is roughly 95% of your rep max. I’ve been modifying the routine each year.

As part of my modifications this year, I’ve added some extra exercises that I do in addition to the program and do two sets of 8-10 reps, and when I can do both sets of 10 reps, then next time I up the weight and do sets of 8. Once I get to 10, I up the weight again. I’ve plateaued early in for most of the exercises. I do one set of each of the exercises, then I do forearm/wrists curls (tie a weight to a rope on a stick and roll it up) for two sets, one with palms down, and one with palms up. Then I do the second set of stuff, and finish off with the body weight exercise for maximum reps. This past winter season, from the middle of September – end of March I did this:

Monday – focus: chest, quads, hamstring, biceps
    Bench press, 5 sets of 7 (doing sets of 7 instead of 5)
    Squat, 5 sets of 7
    Barbell curl, 2 x 8-10
    Quads machine, 2 x 8-10
    Chest machine, 2 x 8-10
    Hamstring machine, 2 x 8-10
    Row cable pull, 2 x 8-10
    Forearm/wrist rolls, 1 x palms down, 1 x palms up
    Chin-ups perfect form, max reps

Wednesday – focus: shoulders, deadlift, back, calves
    Incline bench press, 4 sets of 7
    Squat (intensity ramps up to 70%), 4 sets of 7
    Deadlift, 4 sets of 5 (I didn’t modify this to 7)
    Dumbbell shoulder flys, 2 x 8-10
    Lateral pulldown, 2 x 8-10
    Dumbbell 3 directional calves, 1 set of 8 slow and 8 quick per angle
    Pull-ups perform form, max reps

Friday – focus: chest, quads, triceps
    Bench press; 4 sets of 7, 5th set is of 5, 6th set is of 10
    Squat; 4 sets of 7, 5th set is of 5, 6th set is of 10
    2-handed dumbbell hammer curls, 2 x 8-10
    Seated 2-arm tricep, 2 x 8-10
    Lawnmowers, 2 x 8-10
    Seated single arm tricep, 2 x 8-10
    Quads machine, 2 x 8-10
    Dips, max reps

Whenever there’s a holiday Monday, like Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Victoria Day, or when a holiday falls on Wednesday or Friday and interrupts my workout routine, I don’t move on to the next week in the program, but I workout on Tue and Thu and do different exercises, and when I do do bench and squat, I do less sets and reps, but more weight. In other words, I lift for power.

At this present moment, I’ve changed gears from bulking to cutting as I’m training for a 10KM run, orienteering sprint, rowing, tug of war, and other events that we have in our Corporate Challenge event at the end of May.

From Shelby’s article, he states that if you’re at 14% body fat, you need to cut for 14 weeks. I am at 14% body fat according to a hydrostatic test that I had done a couple months ago (24% on my digital scale), so I’m going to eat clean and do cardio with weights for maintenance for the next 14 weeks.

I’ll be going on vacation over the summer, and I am looking forward to going back to the gym for hypertrophy.

I'll ask a question about my current cut in a few days or so. It's in regards to maintaining muscle mass while on a cut, or gaining muscle on the two lifting days I'm doing during the week, and losing body fat on four cardio days in that week, so that week over week my body composition has more muscle and less fat.

Thanks,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    No bruising or swelling, I took two weeks off from Chest day, and took a easier approach to dips beginning with bench dips, then to bodyweight dips, and now to 45lb weighted dips to see how they felt on my chest. The last workout with 45lb weighted dips felt fine, I even benched 135lbs to see how that felt on my chest and though I still noticed just a slight agitation in that area, it was obvious that it had evidently healed quite a bit.

Only problem is, this does mess up my progression routine a little bit since I do like to keep all my exercises deloading at the same time. 3 weeks on, 1 week deload, which works well with all my progression routines for bb rows, overhead press, squats and deadlifts. I'll probably just focus the next few weeks on slowly building my chest back up instead of jumping into week 2 of the 8/5/3 progression routine with fairly heavy weights. I'lll probably be back at the point of lifting heavier on chest after the next deload.
    Sorry for the delayed response.

How is your chest feeling now? Make sure to stretch frequently and try to pump blood into the injured muscle with light band work.

If you are stalling with your progression you may want to change things up and alternate between 'Heavy' weeks and 'Volume/Speed' weeks, usually going 4-6 weeks and then taking a 'Deload'. Making constant progression is one of the most challenging things in strength/physique enhancement, and in many cases you will have to try a number of different templates and programs before you find what works the best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by punkguitarist View Post
    Hi Tom,

So I've been doing 3 sets of 5 reps for deadlifts the last 6 months or so and that brought my deadlift from 225 x 5 to 335 x 5. However, the last couple of workouts I haven't been able to progress. I think I need to change my reps/sets scheme.

Do you have any advice on what to change the reps/sets to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I need to worry about doing special exercises for my "weak points" because my whole body is weak haha.

This is what my current routine looks like below:

Monday- Bench + assistance

Wed-Squats + assistance

Fri-Military Press + assistance

Monday-Deadlifts + assistance

Wed- Bench + assistance

etc..

Currently as assistance for deadlifts I do leg press, glute ham raises, and weighted ab work. On squat days for assistance I do romanian deadlifts, lunges, and weighted ab work.

I don't think diet is an issue. I'm eating 300 grams of protein a day and around 4000 calories a day. My weight has been the same for the last couple of months (around 185-190 at 5'8").

I'm currently not trying to gain any weight because I think I need to get stronger at my current weight before I try to bulk more.

My other best lifts that would be relevant to deadlifts are box squat 280x7, weighted chins 55x7, and db rows 100 x 12

Below is a video of me deadlifting. This was 335 x 5 (but the video cut short).

Do you see anything in my form that needs to be changed?

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks alot for all your help!
    Great work on your progress so far, 110 lbs on your 5RM is huge!

I do agree that once you reach a certain level you do need to change up the rep scheme. A lot of people really like the 5/3/1 program. You esentially work up to a heavy (sub-max) 5 rep set one week, 3-rep set the following, and then a single on the third week. The fourth week is a de-load (light) and you repeat the program from there with slightly heavier weights. There is more information about the program earlier in this thread if you are interested.

Another option would be a 3x3 program or a sub-max short rest single/double program. Both of which work very well for a lot of people. It is tough to perform high repetitions on the deadlift because it is very taxing on your CNS and in many cases once you are tired you will use poor form which leaves you susceptable for injury.

For accessory work I would recommend possibly adding in some box squats or deficit deadlifts, but your current program is not bad. Another option to consider would be to do your squat accessory work on your deadlift day and vice versa, since you are deadlifting and squatting (4) days apart you should not have any recovery problems and this will allow you to move some heavier weights on the accessory lifts.

Do you have any other videos of you deadlifting? I would want to see more than one set before making any recommendations on form/technique.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to go into more specifics with the progression scheme or accessory work.

Wannabebig Member
    Great work on your progress so far, 110 lbs on your 5RM is huge!

I do agree that once you reach a certain level you do need to change up the rep scheme. A lot of people really like the 5/3/1 program. You esentially work up to a heavy (sub-max) 5 rep set one week, 3-rep set the following, and then a single on the third week. The fourth week is a de-load (light) and you repeat the program from there with slightly heavier weights. There is more information about the program earlier in this thread if you are interested.

Another option would be a 3x3 program or a sub-max short rest single/double program. Both of which work very well for a lot of people. It is tough to perform high repetitions on the deadlift because it is very taxing on your CNS and in many cases once you are tired you will use poor form which leaves you susceptable for injury.

For accessory work I would recommend possibly adding in some box squats or deficit deadlifts, but your current program is not bad. Another option to consider would be to do your squat accessory work on your deadlift day and vice versa, since you are deadlifting and squatting (4) days apart you should not have any recovery problems and this will allow you to move some heavier weights on the accessory lifts.

Do you have any other videos of you deadlifting? I would want to see more than one set before making any recommendations on form/technique.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to go into more specifics with the progression scheme or accessory work.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do 3x3 for now and keep milking linear progression for as long as I can and then switch to 5/3/1

Is 3x3 enough volume for deadlifting once every 10 days? Or should I do one back off set of 8-12 reps after my 3x3?

Here's vids of another two sets of my deadlift. Again the video cuts short (camera sucks it only takes 30 sec vids)

Video

Video

Any suggestions of things I can improve on?

Thanks
    Last edited by punkguitarist; 04-17-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Tom, Here is an update.

I've been on a cut diet while stacking Ephedrine and Caffeine for a around two to three weeks now.

I began to eat much cleaner and cut my caloric intake by 10%, this decreased my weight from 207lbs to 1998lbs I went to get a bod pod body composition test last Thursday. It stated that I was 19.7% bf at 198lbs with 40lbs of fat mass and 160lbs of lean body mass. I am planning on going <10% by this summer while retaining if not even increasing in strength along the way.

Here is a copy of my routine if you could overview it, it is similar to the original that you made for me with a few changes thrown in over time.

Workout Routine

Sundays - Rest
    Mondays - Back
    Tuesdays - Chest
    Wednesdays - Rest
    Thursdays - Legs
    Fridays - Arms
    Saturdays - Shoulders
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Back
    - Wide Grip Pullups(3 Sets Of 8-10)

- BB Rows(8/5/3 Progression Routine)
    (Week 1 - 4x8, Week 2 - 4x5, Week 3 - 1x10,1x8,1x5,1x3, Week 4 - 3x10(Deload))

- DB Rows(3 Sets Of 8-10)

-Close-Grip Underhand Pulldowns(2 Sets Of 8-10)
    (Week 1 - Power(Fast Reps, Heavy Weight), Week 2 - Tension(Slow reps, lighter weights), Week 3 - Power/Tension, Week 4 - Deload)

- Close-Grip Seated Rows(2 Sets Of 8-10)
    (Week 1 - Power(Fast Reps, Heavy Weight), Week 2 - Tension(Slow reps, lighter weights), Week 3 - Power/Tension, Week 4 - Deload)

- Good Mornings(2 Sets Of 10)
    Chest
    - Flat Barbell Bench(8/5/3 Progression Routine)

- Declined Dumbbell Press(2 Sets Of 8-10 reps)

- Inclined Dumbbell Press(3 Sets Of 8-10 reps)

- DB Flies(2 Sets Of 10 reps)

- Hammer Strength Chest Press Machine(1 Cluster Set Of 25)
    Legs
    - Squats(5/3/1 Progression Routine)

- Deadlifts(5/3/1 Progression Routine)

- Leg Press(2 Sets Of 8-10 Reps)

- Dumbbell Lunges(2 Sets Of 5-8 Reps)

Superset: Leg Curls/Leg Extensions(2 Sets Of 15)

- Seated Calve Raises(1 Set Until Failure)

Arms
    - Weighted Dips(3 Sets Of 8-10)

- BB Curls/Cheat Curls(3 Sets Of 8-10)

- Super Set: Seated Single-Arm Tricep Extension/DB Kickbacks(1 Set Of 10)

- Hammer Curls(2 Sets Of 8-10)

- V-Bar Pushdowns(2 Sets Of 10)

- Preacher-Curl DB(2 Sets Of 10)

- Rope Extensions(1 Cluster Set Of 50)

- Preacher Curl Machine(1 Cluster Set Of 50)
    Shoulders
    - DB Shoulder Press(8/5/3 Progression Routine)

- DB Lateral Raises(2 Sets Of 10)

- Cable Upright Rows(2 Sets Of 10)

- Rear Delt Machine Flies(1 Set Of 15)

- Smith Machine Military Press(1 Cluster Set Of 25)

- DB Shrugs(2 Sets Of 12)

- BB Shrugs(2 Sets Of 8-10)

- Face Pulls(3-5 Sets Of 10)

The workout cycles in the following manner.
    Week 1 = Week 2 of previous cycle.(Usually 10lbs or so lower than last cycle's heaviest)
    Week 2 = Week 3 of previous cycle.(Usually the heaviest week)
    Week 3 = Usually 10lbs or a plate heavier than the previous week cycle's Week 3 or heaviest week.
    Week 4 = Deload Week, 50% of previous week's heaviest.

The different 5/3/1, and 8/5/3 progression routines also follow by this 4-week cycling method.
    To aid in bodyfat loss, I will be doing 3x-5x a week LISS cardio such as 30 minute runs at a 10 minute per mile pace. I will also go on a keto diet, which will be high in protein and fat and low on carbs. In addition to that I will be stacking Ephedrine, Caffeine, and Yohimbe.

Here are my current PR's

Compound Exercise PR’s:

- Wide Grip Pullups – 3x8-10(35lbs weighted)
    - BB Rows
    4x8(165lbs)
    4x5(185lbs)
    4x10,8,5,3(135,165,185,225)
    - DB Rows – 3x8(125lbs)
    - Flat Bench
    1x8(205), 1x5(215lbs), 1x3(225lbs)
    - DB Decline Press – 2x8-10(85lbs)
    - Inclined DB Press – 3x8-10(70lbs)
    - Squats
    3x5(235lbs), 3x3(265), 5/3/1(245lbs, 275lbs, 300lbs)
    - Deadlifts
    3x5(285lbs), 3x3(315lbs, 5/3/1(300lbs. 335lbs, 405lbs)
    - Leg Press – 2x8-10(6x Plates, 7x Plates)
    - DB Lunges – 2x5(75lbs)
    - Dips – 3x8-10(90lbs)
    - BB Curls – 3x8-10(115lbs)
    - DB Military Press
    4x8(50lbs), 4x5(55lbs), 10/8/5/3(45lbs,50lbs,55lbs,60lbs)
    - BB Shrugs – 2x8(315lbs)

Compound Exercises Goal PR’s

- Wide Grip Pullups – 3x8-10(45lbs weighted)
    - BB Rows
    4x8(185lbs)
    4x5(205lbs)
    4x10,8,5,3(165,185,205,245)
    - DB Rows – 3x12(125lbs)
    - Flat Bench
    1x8(225), 1x5(245lbs), 1x3(255lbs)
    - DB Decline Press – 2x8-10(100lbs)
    - Inclined DB Press – 3x8-10(80lbs)
    - Squats
    3x5(285lbs), 3x3(315), 5/3/1(300lbs, 335lbs, 355lbs)
    - Deadlifts
    3x5(355lbs), 3x3(405lbs), 5/3/1(355lbs. 415lbs, 505lbs)
    - Leg Press – 2x8-10(9x Plates)
    - DB Lunges – 2x5(95lbs)
    - Dips – 3x8-10(135lbs)
    - BB Curls – 3x8-10(135lbs)
    - DB Military Press
    4x8(60lbs), 4x5(70lbs), 10/8/5/3(55lbs,65lbs,75lbs,85lbs)
    - BB Shrugs – 2x8(315lbs)

Isolation Exercise PR’s:

- Close Grip Underhand Pulldowns – 2x8-10(16)
    - Seated Row Close Grip – 2x8-10(14)
    - BB Good Mornings – 2x10(135lbs)
    - DB Flies – 2x10(45lbs)
    - Machine Chest Press(1 Cluster Set Of 25) – 180lbs
    - Seated Tricep DB Extension – Single-Arm – 1x10(55lbs)
    - DB Kickbacks – 1x10(65lbs)
    - Hammer Curls – 2x8(75lbs)
    - V-Bar Pushdown Cable – 2x10(15)
    - Preacher Curl DB’s – 2x10(45lbs)
    - Rope Extensions – 1 Cluster Set Of 50(10)
    - Preacher Curl Machine – 1 Cluster Set Of 50(90)
    - DB Lateral Raises – 2x10(50lbs)
    - Cable Upright Rows – 2x10(13)
    - Rear Delt Machine Flies – 1x15(155lbs)
    - Smith Machine Press – 1 Cluster Set Of 25(125lbs)

Exercises Not Included:
    - Leg Extensions/Leg Curls/DB Shrugs/Face Pulls/Close Grip Bench Press(Coming soon)
    Some problem areas would be my chest which I will be starting off very light on the beginning of this 8/5/3 cycle. I will also be adding in close grip bench press in place of the kickbacks and tricep extensions and see how it feels. Pictures will be coming soon.

I am hoping to reach 180lbs with fairly low bodyfat %.

Wannabebig Member
    Taking a slightly different approach then what I immediate planned to do.

I have quite the ephedrine/caffeine/yohimbine stack and will now be straight clean-dieting. Instead of doing a traditional cut diet as planned I have decided to just focus on meeting the BMR of a person that is 220lbs 8% bf which is my goal weight. This actually already places me a good bit less than my original bulking diet which was close to 4.2k calories a day; and now 3.7k calories a day.

My diet focuses on using a meal replacement shake in the morning, and a whey protein shake before and after my workout. The main meals consist of a high protein and carbohydrate diet focusing on more eating more complex carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread and few fat, the second meal is fairly high protein and more fibrous carbohydrates such a fruit and vegetables with little to no fat. The last meal actually is fairly high protein and high fat.

This is going to coupled with EFA pills, MV's, and between a gallon and a gallon and a half of water consumption each day. To add on to this, I will also start running daily for 30mins to improve my heart rate and cardio endurance. Also thinking of taking a new approach to some of my exercises to try and not only ensure a steady and safe progression but to also focus on working out the muscles rather than just trying to move some weight.

Classifying different lifts to priority of increasing in weight.

1st Priority - BB Rows, Flat BB Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, DB Military Press, BB Curls, Close-Grip Bench Press,
    All of the above exercises are on progression routines varying from 5/3/1 to 8/5/3.

2nd Priority - Pullups, DB Rows, Declined DB Press, Inclined DB Press, Leg Press, Hammer Curls, Weighted Dips, Preacher Curl DB's, BB Shrugs, Smith Machine Overhead Press.
    The above exercises mainly stay steady for the entire 3 weeks, deloading on the 4th week, then increasing for the next 3 weeks if comfortable, or they follow the progression routine where the second week they match the third week of the previous cycle and then increase upon the past PR on the third week before deloading on the fourth week.

3rd Priority - Close-Grip Pulldown, Seated Rows, DB Flies, Hammer Strength Chest Press DB Lunges, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Rope Extensions, Preacher Curl Machine, Rear Delt Flies Machine, DB Shrugs,, Upright Rows, Lateral Raises.
    These exercises are more focused on strength endurance or developing more tension on the muscle and a better pump usually at the end of the workout and they dont have a specific guideline to moving up in weight.. Some even following the power/tension protocol such as the back exercises and and the upright rows and lateral raises.

Some other interesting changes, I am going to take a new approach to arms day, instead of cheat curling 115lbs and 75lb hammer curls, I have noticed that despite a good increase in strength on both exercises, my biceps seem to be lacking a bit still, so I decided to focus more-so on the form and contraction to make sure that I am using the exercise to directly work the muscles and to just ego-move a ton of weight. These are the only two exercises I find my ego tends to control on arms day, weighted dips I use great form while going heavy and preacher db curls I focus on the contraction despite going fairly heavy. I will also experience with different grips, I find that wide-grip on the EZ bar is much tougher so it may mean that there is an area there that is weak and needs some focused work. Hammer curls, I want to focus on the contraction instead of swinging the weights up, this may mean a drop in weight but I'm willing to do so and work my way up at a slower pace instead of incorporating more and more swinging to increase progression more quickly. There are also different ways to spice up the exercise such as instead of alternating, I could do both arms in one movement or even alternate between alternating and both arms in the middle of a set.

Another thing I have looked into has been a way to assess my strength on close-grip pulldowns and seated rows as these exercises tend to vary in strength from week to week. Before each exercise I will do a 1-rep test to sorta estimate my ability to do that weight in which ever rep-range instead of overestimating my strength that day end up focusing more-so on moving that amount of weight instead of working out that muscle by moving that amount of weight. Close-grip bench press seems to work nicely except for some issues concerning my wrists, but one thing I have though of doing was supersetting skullcrushers and close-grip bench press. The only issue with this would be the fact that I can close-grip bench press much more than I can skullcrush, but I may try this one for size.

Also I have sent you some pictures for your advice in your PM box.
    Last edited by Trepkos01; 04-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Hi Tom,

I'm resurrecting this thread back to life! I posted a thread in the general bodybuilding section here, and I was hoping you would respond, but I figured I'd just post here in this thread. Anyway, I've been following the 5/3/1 for about 10 months now, and making good strength and size gains. I do plan on continuing with the program for the main 4 lifts, but I wanted to test out some bodypart split stuff for the assistance work. I have always treated this program as a 'powerbuilding' program - a good mix of strength, and bodybuilding work. I'm now looking to see what happens if I start hammering each individual muscle group as my assistance work:

Here's my plan (the "/" is for supersets):

Squat day - legs

Squat: 5/3/1
    front squat: 5 sets in a ramping fashion
    Either hack squats or bulgarian split squats: 3 x 10
    abs

Bench day - chest and biceps

Bench: 5/3/1
    DB incline press: 5 sets in a ramping fashion
    DB flies/pushups: 3 x 10
    BB curls/DB curls: 3 x 10

Deadlift - Back

Deadlift: 5/3/1
    Pullups or chinups: 5 sets either weighted or unweighted for higher reps
    BB rows/cable rows: 3 x 10
    abs

OH Press - shoulders and triceps

OH Press: 5/3/1
    DB Press: 5 sets ramping fashion
    Lateral raises/front raises: 3 x 10
    Close grip bench/dips: 3 x 10

It's been over 5 years since I've trained bodyparts. I've been doing movement based training all this time, and have always done either full body or an upper/lower split of some sort.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'm resurrecting this thread back to life! I posted a thread in the general bodybuilding section here, and I was hoping you would respond, but I figured I'd just post here in this thread. Anyway, I've been following the 5/3/1 for about 10 months now, and making good strength and size gains. I do plan on continuing with the program for the main 4 lifts, but I wanted to test out some bodypart split stuff for the assistance work. I have always treated this program as a 'powerbuilding' program - a good mix of strength, and bodybuilding work. I'm now looking to see what happens if I start hammering each individual muscle group as my assistance work:

Here's my plan (the "/" is for supersets):

Squat day - legs

Squat: 5/3/1
    front squat: 5 sets in a ramping fashion
    Either hack squats or bulgarian split squats: 3 x 10
    abs

Bench day - chest and biceps

Bench: 5/3/1
    DB incline press: 5 sets in a ramping fashion
    DB flies/pushups: 3 x 10
    BB curls/DB curls: 3 x 10

Deadlift - Back

Deadlift: 5/3/1
    Pullups or chinups: 5 sets either weighted or unweighted for higher reps
    BB rows/cable rows: 3 x 10
    abs

OH Press - shoulders and triceps

OH Press: 5/3/1
    DB Press: 5 sets ramping fashion
    Lateral raises/front raises: 3 x 10
    Close grip bench/dips: 3 x 10

It's been over 5 years since I've trained bodyparts. I've been doing movement based training all this time, and have always done either full body or an upper/lower split of some sort.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!
    Thank you for bringing back this thread, I enjoy the Q&A although it can be a bit hard to keep up with at times.

I believe that you could do very well with a program like the one that you described, and the only thing that would need to be determined would be the frequency.

Are you looking to train each muscle group once per week? Depending on recovery abilities and strength levels you could go with anything from a 6-day to a 10-day rotation. Usually 4-days per week is manageable and a lot of people will just do a 7-day split so that the same workout always falls on the same day of the week, but sometimes variation is a good thing.

Will you be making any dietary changes along with the new training program?

Thank you for bringing back this thread, I enjoy the Q&A although it can be a bit hard to keep up with at times.

I believe that you could do very well with a program like the one that you described, and the only thing that would need to be determined would be the frequency.

Are you looking to train each muscle group once per week? Depending on recovery abilities and strength levels you could go with anything from a 6-day to a 10-day rotation. Usually 4-days per week is manageable and a lot of people will just do a 7-day split so that the same workout always falls on the same day of the week, but sometimes variation is a good thing.

Will you be making any dietary changes along with the new training program?
    Hey, thanks for the fast response! I typically train 3 days a week, and I just cycle through the days (squat, bench, deadlift, press). I try to train on non-consecutive days, but sometimes I'll do 2 days in a row if I need to.

I also do Jiu-Jitsu 2 - 3 days a week for 1 hr. each class, so I try to get everything in there.

About the diet, I wasn't sure if dietary changes were needed. My old version of this program had me doing this:

Squat day

Squat - 5/3/1
    hack squat/bulgarian split squat superset - 3 x 10
    abs

Bench day

Bench - 5/3/1
    DB overhead press/pullups/BB row superset - 4 x 10 (or less if heavier weights were used)
    random tricep isolation lift

Deadlift day

Deadlift - 5/3/1
    front squat - 4 x 10
    SLDL's or RDL's - 3 x 10
    abs

OH Press day

OH Press - 5/3/1
    CGBP/Clean and press - 4 x 10/4 x 5
    BB curls/DB curls - 3 x 10

Basically, I think the intensity and volume is roughly the same as it was before, maybe even less now. I'm not sure if I need to change my diet, but I dunno?

Thanks again!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!