Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the fast response! I typically train 3 days a week, and I just cycle through the days (squat, bench, deadlift, press). I try to train on non-consecutive days, but sometimes I'll do 2 days in a row if I need to. I also do Jiu-Jitsu 2 - 3 days a week for 1 hr. each class, so I try to get everything in there.

About the diet, I wasn't sure if dietary changes were needed. My old version of this program had me doing this:

Squat day: Squat - 5/3/1, hack squat/bulgarian split squat superset - 3 x 10, abs
    Bench day: Bench - 5/3/1, DB overhead press/pullups/BB row superset - 4 x 10 (or less if heavier weights were used), random tricep isolation lift
    Deadlift day: Deadlift - 5/3/1, front squat - 4 x 10, SLDL's or RDL's - 3 x 10, abs
    OH Press day: OH Press - 5/3/1, CGBP/Clean and press - 4 x 10/4 x 5, BB curls/DB curls - 3 x 10

Basically, I think the intensity and volume is roughly the same as it was before, maybe even less now. I'm not sure if I need to change my diet, but I dunno?

Thanks again!
    I agree that weight training 3X/week and martial arts 2-3X/week works out well. This should allow for proper recovery and give you a good balance of strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning.

The reason that I asked about dietary changes is that a lot of people 'clean up' their diet when starting a hypertrophy program and sometimes that puts you in a calorie deficit which can impact recovery capabilities.

Everything looks good with what you have planned, keep me posted on how it works for you.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Nah, I'm gotta eat more if anything....that's where I slack (but I guess that's why I stay so lean all the time). Thanks for the advice and info!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Knee straps...at what point or certain weight should you start using them?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Knee straps...at what point or certain weight should you start using them?
    Do you mean knee wraps or knee sleeves?

Knee wraps are not something that I would consider necessary unless you plan to compete in powerlifting or are an advanced bodybuilder looking for something to help you to 'overload' your legs. Before using wraps I would make sure that you have a strong base and very good technique. Increased weight lifted means increased risk and could also impact your recovery.

If you are talking about knee sleeves then they can be beneficial for any trainee since they simply help to provide moderate compression and keep your joints warm (injury prevention).

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Yeah, i meant sleeves!

Question:

Would it be sufficient to do deadlift and squat once very other week and still make good progress?

Like: Week1 Squat - Week 2 Deadlift - Week 3 Squat - Week 4 Deadlift ..

Because i tried switching up my routine today and i did deadlift on back day as first exercise..and basicly the rest of my routine was ****ed cuz i was somewhat out of strength..

Edit: I'm mostly doing dubmbell exercises for my arms and chest to even out imbalances, but i feel the need to add at least one "heavy" exercise for tri's and bi's, i was thinking (weighted) dips and straight bar curls or something. Now i was wondering would this make my imbalances even worse or will they keep evening out because of the dumbell work?
    Last edited by Shemz; 06-15-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Hey Tom, I'm looking for a nice 450lb tire routine, something to leave me winded. I also have access to atlas stones, as well as a sledge hammer. I'm getting a keg and sandbag soon too. Can you write up something, perhaps a circuit I could do? I am however limited to distance, it's in my back yard, I'd say 25 yards long? I want to train with the tire and stones on my days off work and away from conventional lifting, which would be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I appreciate it so much man.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Yeah, i meant sleeves!

Question:

Would it be sufficient to do deadlift and squat once very other week and still make good progress?

Like: Week1 Squat - Week 2 Deadlift - Week 3 Squat - Week 4 Deadlift ..

Because i tried switching up my routine today and i did deadlift on back day as first exercise..and basicly the rest of my routine was ****ed cuz i was somewhat out of strength..

Edit: I'm mostly doing dubmbell exercises for my arms and chest to even out imbalances, but i feel the need to add at least one "heavy" exercise for tri's and bi's, i was thinking (weighted) dips and straight bar curls or something. Now i was wondering would this make my imbalances even worse or will they keep evening out because of the dumbell work?
    If you are interested I would be happy to help you to select a pair of knee sleeves.

With regard to your squat/deadlift protocol I believe that would be very effective and I have personally used a similar template in the past with good results.

When you talk about imbalances are you referring to size or strength imbalances?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Hey Tom, I'm looking for a nice 450lb tire routine, something to leave me winded. I also have access to atlas stones, as well as a sledge hammer. I'm getting a keg and sandbag soon too. Can you write up something, perhaps a circuit I could do? I am however limited to distance, it's in my back yard, I'd say 25 yards long? I want to train with the tire and stones on my days off work and away from conventional lifting, which would be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I appreciate it so much man.
    Mark,

What does the rest of your schedule (gym training) look like?

I would like to have that information before writing up a custom program since I do not want to incorporate anything that could have a negative impact on your recovery or gym workouts.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 06-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom,

I sent you a PM on another site and you directed me towards this thread. I read the entire thread in the past two days and learned a lot. I've found a program that I like but have made a few adjustments and have a few questions. First I will give you some info about me:

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 177.2lbs (I was at 188 2 months ago but my upper back injury really got to me. Lately I've been just maintaining my lifts while cutting as I'm finishing up my physical therapy)
    Bodyfat %: Estimated around 14%
    Training Experience: Off and on for a few years but for the last 6+ months I've been steady. I just moved back from college a few days ago and have my diet 100% in check. I ran Rippetoe's SS for around 4 months and then a modified 5x5. For a year I've had some upper back problems and am just finishing up physical therapy for it.
    Goals: Hypertrophy first and strength a close second. I'd eventually like to compete in bodybuilding and maybe even powerlifting.

Current Lifts:
    Squat - 245 x 5
    Bench - 205 x 5
    Deadlift - 255 x 5
    Row - 165 x 5

Concerns: With SS I felt that squatting 3x per week was a little excessive but I am worried that a 4-5 day split with only squatting say once per week may not be enough (or yield strength gains as fast as 2+ times a week).

I'm worried that at my stage hitting one body part per week is not enough. I'm also not sure if that I need to hit each body part as much as I would in a 5 day split at my current stage. You are far more experienced than I am so I am hoping that you will tell me what you think is best. If you think a 3 day a week program is going to be the most effective then that's what I'll do. I would actually like to get in the gym more than 3 days a week but only if that will be beneficial to me.

With SS and the modified 5x5 program I was on, my upper back and shoulders were neglected and that's why my injury occurred. It's not anything serious thankfully though. Here is the program that I'm the most interested in, but am willing to do something else if you think this isn't the most effective for me at this point:

Training Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms
    Saturday: Shoulders
    Sunday: Rest

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 5 reps
    - Chins: (3) sets / goal of 30 total chins
    - Chest Supported Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - BB Bench: (3) sets, 5 reps
    - Incline DB Bench Press: (2) sets, 8 reps - alternating with
    - Decline DB Bench Press: (2) sets, 8 reps
    - Decline Flys: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5 reps
    - Standing Reverse Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    - Calf Raises (3) sets of 10-25 reps alternating between seated and standing (on leg press)

Biceps / Triceps:
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - EZ Bar Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Hammer Curls (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Pushdowns (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Concentration Curls (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Rope Pushdowns (1) set of 50 reps

- Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets

Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - DB Lateral Raises (2) sets of 8-10 reps, drop sets optional
    - Cable Upright Rows (2) sets of 10-12 reps
    - Reverse DB Flys (1) set of 15 reps
    - Neutral Grip Machine Shoulder Press (1) Cluster set of 25+ reps
    - Face Pulls (2) sets of 10-12 reps
    On the original routine you have in rotator cuff work with the face pulls but I'm not quite sure what that is. Can you give me some examples? Also, what do you think of the modifications that I've made?

On another note I'm interested in what budget knee sleeves you recommend.

I realize that this is a lengthy post and would really appreciate some advice.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I am now bulking and did the first two days of the original split you posted (back and chest) and really liked how the workouts went.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 06-15-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Thursday-Bench and Upper body
    Friday-Cardio
    Saturday-Squat and legs
    Sunday-Cardio/abs
    Monday-Deadlift/cardio
    Tuesday-Cardio in the form of stones and tire flipping
    Wednesday-Off or light cardio

I bench, squat and deadlift + accessory work on those days, all the time. On cardio/off days I'll do complexes, treadmill or eliptical work. I upped my cardio a lot, have to lose the weight and not worry so awful much about strength. Tuesday would likely be my tire day.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    If you are interested I would be happy to help you to select a pair of knee sleeves.

With regard to your squat/deadlift protocol I believe that would be very effective and I have personally used a similar template in the past with good results.

When you talk about imbalances are you referring to size or strength imbalances?
    Yeah I would love some help with that because i don't really know what brands are good etc.. It's just cuz i was squatting recently and at the sixth rep or something as i was going up i couldn't hold it and went straight back down thank God i had a spotter haha, but i'd like to prevent myself from injuries so..

Ok, because i feel that if i deadlifted or squatted i won't have all my strength back to do one or the other a day or two later..might also be that i need a deload week lol kinda lost track of how many weeks i've been training.

Well, i think both..size difference is noticable it's not ALOT, but it's there..strenght wise, well, if i'm dumbell benchpressing for example i can push the weights up with both arms simontaneously but my spotter said that the form of my right and left arm is different..so i think strenght wise there are imbalances as well, i also notice this when i'm doing isolation like overhead tricep extensions..i could 'easily' squeeze out 3-4 more reps on my right than on my left..i always end my set when my right arm reaches the max. nr of reps my left can do tho..

I think it's kinda due to my shoulders..i think my right one is developed more hence i can keep better form on the benchpresses hence my one tricep gets better stimulation than the other?

People say it goes away as you grow so i kinda stopped focussing on it, but i also feel that i could be growing alot faster (cuz i do feel that i have above average genetics i'm easily gaining on people in my gym, even the owner and he's a former amateur bodybuilder) so i'd like to include more compound work..i'm afraid tho that if i start adding dips etc i might make the imbalances even greater (strenght and size wise)..

Any advice?

Banned

Question about how to incorporate strongman into my powerlfiting training

I'm competing in my first strongman competition, NAS Utah's Strongest Man on July 24, 2010. The events are not fully defined yet but theres going to be an overhead press medley, a deadlift medley, deadlift hold for time, atlas stones, ( maybe one other event, I can't remember ). I will be competing in the masters division ( I'm 44 years old ). To give you an example of where I am with my strongman training, last night ( the first time I did strongman since last November ) I did 550 pound yoke walk for 50 feet pretty easily. I flipped the 800 pound tire 3 times but was really not happy with my technique. I farmer walked 305 pounds in each hand for 25 feet. I just worked technique on the log press, so I'm not sure what my max is, but I'm guessing it's about 230 pounds ( cleaning it is harder than pressing it for me ).

Anyway, I'm trying to more effectively incorporate strongman events training into my program. In the past I just alternated it in on my max effort squat/deadlift session, ie one week ME squats, next week ME deads, next week strongman events. That worked well last summer, because I felt that I needed to be focusing on building my base strength levels with the powerlifting. Now, I don't necessarily feel that way, although of course I'm still striving to get stronger, but I think I'm now strong enough to focus more on strongman, which was always my longer term goal anyway.

Up until yesterday, my training template was basically like this:

Monday: ME squats/deads alternate by week
    Wednesday: DE bench
    Thursday: DE squat/deads alternate by week
    Saturday: ME bench

But now I'm treading new ground and really don't know how to add in the strongman. My new routine has some constraints.
    The strongman group that I train with trains on tuesday night ( I train with Russ Anderson, if you know who he is ).
    I'd want to keep my ME benching on saturday morning ( because of the group I train with ).
    I still want a strong powerlifting focus. I don't want to completely abandon the training that got me to this point, I still want to do powerlifting competitions ( like maybe 1 or 2 a year ).

I was thinking maybe something like this:

Tuesday: Strongman events
    Wednesday: DE Bench with overhead pressing accessory work
    Thursday: Some sort of heavy squatting and deadlifting, but probably not working up to a max single like I was doing previously on monday night
    Saturday: ME bench with overhead pressing accessory work

Any advice would be appreciated.

My responses are in red.

Quote Originally Posted by lessonlearned View Post
    Hey Tom,

I sent you a PM on another site and you directed me towards this thread. I read the entire thread in the past two days and learned a lot. I've found a program that I like but have made a few adjustments and have a few questions. First I will give you some info about me:

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 177.2lbs (I was at 188 2 months ago but my upper back injury really got to me. Lately I've been just maintaining my lifts while cutting as I'm finishing up my physical therapy)
    Bodyfat %: Estimated around 14%
    Training Experience: Off and on for a few years but for the last 6+ months I've been steady. I just moved back from college a few days ago and have my diet 100% in check. I ran Rippetoe's SS for around 4 months and then a modified 5x5. For a year I've had some upper back problems and am just finishing up physical therapy for it.
    Goals: Hypertrophy first and strength a close second. I'd eventually like to compete in bodybuilding and maybe even powerlifting.

Current Lifts:
    Squat - 245 x 5
    Bench - 205 x 5
    Deadlift - 255 x 5
    Row - 165 x 5

Thank you for reading through the thread and providing a thorough background on yourself.

Concerns: With SS I felt that squatting 3x per week was a little excessive but I am worried that a 4-5 day split with only squatting say once per week may not be enough (or yield strength gains as fast as 2+ times a week).

Starting Strength can be a good program for an absolute beginer, but is not something that I would recommend for any experienced individual. With your current strength levels recovery becomes a factor and training your lower body 1-2 days per week will yield the best results. There are a couple of options in terms of how the template is set up. For strength I would probably go with an ME/DE (Westside) split, but for hypertrophy purposes I would go with a quad-dominant / hamstring-dominant split.

I'm worried that at my stage hitting one body part per week is not enough. I'm also not sure if that I need to hit each body part as much as I would in a 5 day split at my current stage. You are far more experienced than I am so I am hoping that you will tell me what you think is best. If you think a 3 day a week program is going to be the most effective then that's what I'll do. I would actually like to get in the gym more than 3 days a week but only if that will be beneficial to me.

For maximum hypertrophy I do not believe that three days per week will provide enough volume, but you could do very well with a 4-day split. What I would recommend is an upper/lower rotation alternating between pushing and pulling workouts:

Monday: Upper / Pressing (Chest-Shoulder-Triceps)
    Tuesday: Lower/ Pulling (Deadlift-Hamstrings)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Optional - Cardio / Abs / Accessory Work
    Friday: Upper / Pulling (Back-Biceps)
    Saturday: Lower / Pressing (Squats-Quads)

or

Monday: Lower/ Pulling (Deadlift-Hamstrings)
    Tuesday: Upper / Pressing (Chest-Shoulder-Triceps)
    Thursday: Lower / Pressing (Squats-Quads)
    Friday: Upper / Pulling (Back-Biceps)
    Saturday: Optional - Cardio / Abs / Accessory Work

With SS and the modified 5x5 program I was on, my upper back and shoulders were neglected and that's why my injury occurred. It's not anything serious thankfully though. Here is the program that I'm the most interested in, but am willing to do something else if you think this isn't the most effective for me at this point:

The 4/5 day split that you posted could be a good option for you, and the template listed above is another alternative. One thing that a lot of people who write/recommend programs do not take into account is that the program has to be something that the trainee will want to follow. If I suggest that you follow a template that you do not enjoy then chances are that you will not stick with it, and surely will not approach the program with the same amount of enthusiasm that you would another program.

Both templates are effective in terms of providing hypertrophy and balanced training, so I will leave the decision up to you. I also would be happy to customize either program or piece them together into one if you are looking for something in-between.

On the original routine you have in rotator cuff work with the face pulls but I'm not quite sure what that is. Can you give me some examples? Also, what do you think of the modifications that I've made?

Face pulls are an exercise where you stand facing a high pulley and perform a motion similar to an upright row - but instead of rowing from the bottom you are rowing from the high pulley and bringing the bar to your forward. This exercise helps to strengthen the muscles that stabilize your shoulder joint which in turn can help to prevent injury.

Another common movement used for strengthening rotator cuffs is external rotations. You should be able to find information on this movement with a quick google or Youtube search.

Also, a great way to warm up your shoulders is to take a medicine ball (or even basketball/soccer ball) and pass it around your body (behind your back). Change directions a few times and do this for about 2-3 minutes to warm up your shoulder prior to training.

On another note I'm interested in what budget knee sleeves you recommend.

A good pair of knee sleeves is going to run you $35-40 including shipping. Would that be within your price range?

I realize that this is a lengthy post and would really appreciate some advice.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I am now bulking and did the first two days of the original split you posted (back and chest) and really liked how the workouts went.

Monday-Deadlift/cardio
    Tuesday-Cardio in the form of stones and tire flipping
    Wednesday-Off or light cardio
    Thursday-Bench and Upper body
    Friday-Cardio
    Saturday-Squat and legs
    Sunday-Cardio/abs

I bench, squat and deadlift + accessory work on those days, all the time. On cardio/off days I'll do complexes, treadmill or eliptical work. I upped my cardio a lot, have to lose the weight and not worry so awful much about strength. Tuesday would likely be my tire day.
    Mark,

Here is what I would do in terms of a template:

Mark!'s Power/Conditioning Program:
    Monday: Deadlift / Cardio
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Strongman Conditioning
    Thursday: Bench / Upper Body
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Squat / Legs
    Sunday: Cardio / Abs

**You could do your strongman conditioning day on Tuesday but I would rather do the events work the day before an upper body session (minimal impact) rather than the day after a heavy lower body workout (recovery becomes a factor).

For the specific workouts with the tire/stone there are a few options:

Tire/Stone Shuttle:
    Set up the tire and stone about 15 feet apart. Flip the tire for run rep and then run to the stone and load the stone for one rep; run back to the tire and flip it for one rep and continue to repeat the protocol for a set number of reptitions or period of time. I would usually keep something like this to around 10 reps or 60 seconds.

Tire Flip / Stone Carry Medley:
    Instead of loading the stone you will lap it and then carry it for a set distance. Set up the stone at one end of the yard and the tire at the other, about 50-60 feet apart. Carry the stone down to the tire and then drop it and immediately start flipping the tire (back to the other side of the yard). If this is challenging then you can shorten the distance for speed runs (work your way up) or keep the distance long and only perform 1-2 sets. For any strongman event I do not recommend going for more than 75-90 seconds. You should also rest at least three minutes between sets when doing medleys.

Stone Shouldering:
    Instead of just loading the stone you will pick it up from the ground and try to bring it to your shoulder. You can alternate between shoulders if you would like, and usually a set will be anywhere from 3-8 reps depending on the weight of the stone.

Tire Flip for Reps:
    There are a few different ways to approach this challenge. You can perform as many one-motion reps as possible (without resting the tire on your knee); or you can perform as many reps as possible in a given period of time (usually 45-60 seconds).

I am not a huge fan of sledgehammer work, but anything to keep your heart rate up is good. If you would like you can finish off your workout with some sledge hammer striking. Most people who do sledge work usually perform a set number of repetitions while swinging from different angles. An example of this would be performing 20 swings; 5 from the left low, 5 from the left over the top, 5 from the right low, 5 from the right over the top.

For your strongman day I would keep the workout to around 30 minutes to start, and then you can build up from there if you feel like that is not enough.

Hope this helps; let me know once you have the keg/sandbag and we can come up with some good ways to incorporate them into your training.

Tom,
    Many thanks for this. It's going to be a huge help in my training. I'm going incorporate some of this, if not all of it, in to my work at home until I can get all my weights and bars in my garage. You rock bro!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    Hey Tom, do you have any suggestions for how I can setup a 4 day dead/squat only routine on m/t/th/f? I need a break from oh press and bench. I am starting to have problems with my left rotator and plan to do only band related other than the mentioned primary lifts and assistance for de / sq ..... anything that you can think of that would help would really be appreciated... I just want to let my left should heal but continue to progress my other lifts

Really.... if you have a suggestion as to how I should integrate a shoulder rehab that would be amazing... as I really have no idea if what I'm doing is sufficient
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Yeah I would love some help with that because i don't really know what brands are good etc.. It's just cuz i was squatting recently and at the sixth rep or something as i was going up i couldn't hold it and went straight back down thank God i had a spotter haha, but i'd like to prevent myself from injuries so..

Ok, because i feel that if i deadlifted or squatted i won't have all my strength back to do one or the other a day or two later..might also be that i need a deload week lol kinda lost track of how many weeks i've been training.

Well, i think both..size difference is noticable it's not ALOT, but it's there..strenght wise, well, if i'm dumbell benchpressing for example i can push the weights up with both arms simontaneously but my spotter said that the form of my right and left arm is different..so i think strenght wise there are imbalances as well, i also notice this when i'm doing isolation like overhead tricep extensions..i could 'easily' squeeze out 3-4 more reps on my right than on my left..i always end my set when my right arm reaches the max. nr of reps my left can do tho..

I think it's kinda due to my shoulders..i think my right one is developed more hence i can keep better form on the benchpresses hence my one tricep gets better stimulation than the other?

People say it goes away as you grow so i kinda stopped focussing on it, but i also feel that i could be growing alot faster (cuz i do feel that i have above average genetics i'm easily gaining on people in my gym, even the owner and he's a former amateur bodybuilder) so i'd like to include more compound work..i'm afraid tho that if i start adding dips etc i might make the imbalances even greater (strenght and size wise)..

Any advice?
    For knee sleeves there are a couple of good options, but I would say that the best all-around are the Tommy Kono sleeves. You can find them for under $40/pair and they are 5mm thick neopene. PM me if you need links on where to purchase them; I have discount codes for two of the major retailers who sell these sleeves.

I recently read from one of the EliteFTS athletes that Jim Wendler is also doing a squat/deadlift weekly rotation and has made good gains with the protocol.

With regard to your imbalances I do not think that compound exercises would make them any worse as long as you make sue to keep good form (no uneven lockouts, twisting/turning, etc.). I would recommend that you continue to work on flexibility and the imbalances should correct themselves or become less noticeable over time.

Keep me posted on your training.

For knee sleeves there are a couple of good options, but I would say that the best all-around are the Tommy Kono sleeves. You can find them for under $40/pair and they are 5mm thick neopene. PM me if you need links on where to purchase them; I have discount codes for two of the major retailers who sell these sleeves.

I recently read from one of the EliteFTS athletes that Jim Wendler is also doing a squat/deadlift weekly rotation and has made good gains with the protocol.

With regard to your imbalances I do not think that compound exercises would make them any worse as long as you make sue to keep good form (no uneven lockouts, twisting/turning, etc.). I would recommend that you continue to work on flexibility and the imbalances should correct themselves or become less noticeable over time.

Keep me posted on your training.
    Hey,

Thanks for the information, i would really appreciate it if you could give me some links. No need to waste your discount codes on me.

Well, if it's good for Jim it's good for me haha

Ok, i'll try out some dips etc and as soon as i feel like one arm is pushing more than the other i'll end my set. Right now i'm trying out a new workout, what i do is 3 weeks of heavy training 5-8 reps followed by two weeks of volume 15-20 reps..turned out i'm not used to do much volume or i just need to work on my grip cuz on some exercises my wrists are killing me

I'm also considering starting to take protein supplements, up untill now it was all food, and i'm already growing rather fast, but i feel that extra protein would speed it up even more. cuz as i grow bigger i feel that my food intake alone is not good enough anymore. i'll have to ask one of my mates or the gym owner how exactly those shakes work (how many scoops, how many times a day etc..) i should really start a journal

i'm like the only guy in my gym with a piece of a paper and a pen to keep track of my weight progress

EDIT;

Tiny question i just came up with: how important is leg stretching?

When i do haning knee raises all is well, but if i want to do hanging leg raises well it's seems that my legs make it more difficult cause i can't seem to extend them very well..now i decided to try and see how flexible i am in my legs and put my foot on the table and i can just reach my ankle but my hams are killing me..

So i suppose i need to stretch more? i figured this would maybe also help in deadlifting and squatting?

The main question is tho, do i stretch daily (like when i wake up or something) and for how long etc..

Thank you for great advice as always!
    Last edited by Shemz; 06-22-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I'm competing in my first strongman competition, NAS Utah's Strongest Man on July 24, 2010. The events are not fully defined yet but theres going to be an overhead press medley, a deadlift medley, deadlift hold for time, atlas stones, ( maybe one other event, I can't remember ). I will be competing in the masters division ( I'm 44 years old ). To give you an example of where I am with my strongman training, last night ( the first time I did strongman since last November ) I did 550 pound yoke walk for 50 feet pretty easily. I flipped the 800 pound tire 3 times but was really not happy with my technique. I farmer walked 305 pounds in each hand for 25 feet. I just worked technique on the log press, so I'm not sure what my max is, but I'm guessing it's about 230 pounds ( cleaning it is harder than pressing it for me ).

Anyway, I'm trying to more effectively incorporate strongman events training into my program. In the past I just alternated it in on my max effort squat/deadlift session, ie one week ME squats, next week ME deads, next week strongman events. That worked well last summer, because I felt that I needed to be focusing on building my base strength levels with the powerlifting. Now, I don't necessarily feel that way, although of course I'm still striving to get stronger, but I think I'm now strong enough to focus more on strongman, which was always my longer term goal anyway.

Up until yesterday, my training template was basically like this:

Monday: ME squats/deads alternate by week
    Wednesday: DE bench
    Thursday: DE squat/deads alternate by week
    Saturday: ME bench

But now I'm treading new ground and really don't know how to add in the strongman. My new routine has some constraints.
    The strongman group that I train with trains on tuesday night ( I train with Russ Anderson, if you know who he is ).
    I'd want to keep my ME benching on saturday morning ( because of the group I train with ).
    I still want a strong powerlifting focus. I don't want to completely abandon the training that got me to this point, I still want to do powerlifting competitions ( like maybe 1 or 2 a year ).

I was thinking maybe something like this:

Tuesday: Strongman events
    Wednesday: DE Bench with overhead pressing accessory work
    Thursday: Some sort of heavy squatting and deadlifting, but probably not working up to a max single like I was doing previously on monday night
    Saturday: ME bench with overhead pressing accessory work

Any advice would be appreciated.
    There are three different ways to approach training for dual objectives:
    • Option 1 / Train for each objective independently and alternate after a given period of time.
    • Option 2 / Train for both objectives simultaneously with very conservative goals.
    • Option 3 / Train for both objectives simultaneously but adjust your training for one specific objective, alternating throughout the year (combination of the first two methods).

Based on your goals I would say that Option 3 would be the best for you. This will allow you to continue to train with the Bench Press Team on Saturdays and the Strongman Group on Tuesdays, while shifting your focus throughout the year to 'peak' for specific meets or events.

Since you have about 4 weeks to prepare for your strongman contest the focus now should be to become proficient with those specific events and to make sure that you show up to the contest healthy and ready to push for PR's. This is especially relevant in the Master's Class where a lot of the competitors will have nagging injuries from years of heavy training.

Here are the events for your contest:

1.) Side handle car hold for time, No straps allowed
    2.) Press Medley – Kettlebell (LW-100#/HW- 120#), Axle (LW-260#. HW-300#); Block (LW-220#/ HW-280#); 12” Log (LW-300#/HW-330#); 75 second time limit. Athletes can start in any order
    3.) Deadlift Medley Straps allowed 75 sec. Time Limit; Frame (LW-700#/HW- 800#); Barbell (LW-600#/HW-700#); Axle DL (LW-500#/HW-600#); side handle car DL (pull away); Athletes can do the 1st three implements in any order.
    4.) Tire Flip/Truck Push Medley 90 secs; (LW-700#/HW-800#) 50’ tire flip followed by pushing the truck for 80’ (Chevy 2500 (both classes)
    5.) Atlas Stone Load 60secs; 5 stones both classes (LW-stones will weigh 250#-360# loaded to 54”platform; HW- Stones will weigh 300#-400# loaded to 54” platform)

Usually the HW Masters will use the LW open weights.

There will be a fair amount of technique in the press medley and stones but the other events will be fairly straightforward. Conditioning will be a factor in the medley and obviously grip strength is important for the car hold but it sounds like that is an area that you have focused a good amount of training in the past.

What I would focus on in your strongman workouts are any implements from the press medley that you are not comfortable with, the tire flip, and the stones. Grip work and deadlifting can be done in the gym anytime. You should cut out any unnecessary ME/DE powerlifting workouts for the next four weeks since they will have a negative impact on your strongman training and could present some recovery problems leading up to the contest.

Here is what I would do for the next 3-4 weeks, taking at least (5) days off before the actual contest (light training or cardio is OK).

BigTallOx's Strongman Prep:
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Strongman Events
    Thursday: Heavy Lower (Deadlift, Front Squats, etc.)
    Saturday: Heavy Bench Training
    Sunday: Accessory Lower & Conditioning, Grip Training

After the strongman competition you can change the program a bit and go with something like this:

BigTallOx's Powerlifting Prep:
    Wednesday: DE Bench
    Thursday: ME Lower (Squat/Deadlift Rotation)
    Saturday: ME Bench
    Sunday: DE Lower (Whichever movement you didn’t train on Thursday)

Are there any events above that you need any help preparing for? I have competed on some of Van’s equipment before at the 2008 North American Strongman Nationals

Banned
    Thanks for your reply.

There are three different ways to approach training for dual objectives:
    • Option 1 / Train for each objective independently and alternate after a given period of time.
    • Option 2 / Train for both objectives simultaneously with very conservative goals.
    • Option 3 / Train for both objectives simultaneously but adjust your training for one specific objective, alternating throughout the year (combination of the first two methods).

Based on your goals I would say that Option 3 would be the best for you. This will allow you to continue to train with the Bench Press Team on Saturdays and the Strongman Group on Tuesdays, while shifting your focus throughout the year to 'peak' for specific meets or events.

(snip)

Here is what I would do for the next 3-4 weeks, taking at least (5) days off before the actual contest (light training or cardio is OK).

BigTallOx's Strongman Prep:
    Thursday: Heavy Lower (Deadlift, Front Squats, etc.)
    Saturday: Heavy Bench Training
    Sunday: Accessory Lower & Conditioning, Grip Training

After the strongman competition you can change the program a bit and go with something like this:

BigTallOx's Powerlifting Prep:
    Wednesday: DE Bench
    Thursday: ME Lower (Squat/Deadlift Rotation)
    Saturday: ME Bench
    Sunday: DE Lower (Whichever movement you didn’t train on Thursday)
    That makes sense.

Since you have about 4 weeks to prepare for your strongman contest the focus now should be to become proficient with those specific events and to make sure that you show up to the contest healthy and ready to push for PR's. This is especially relevant in the Master's Class where a lot of the competitors will have nagging injuries from years of heavy training.

Here are the events for your contest:

1.) Side handle car hold for time, No straps allowed
    2.) Press Medley – Kettlebell (LW-100#/HW- 120#), Axle (LW-260#. HW-300#); Block (LW-220#/ HW-280#); 12” Log (LW-300#/HW-330#); 75 second time limit. Athletes can start in any order
    3.) Deadlift Medley Straps allowed 75 sec. Time Limit; Frame (LW-700#/HW- 800#); Barbell (LW-600#/HW-700#); Axle DL (LW-500#/HW-600#); side handle car DL (pull away); Athletes can do the 1st three implements in any order.
    4.) Tire Flip/Truck Push Medley 90 secs; (LW-700#/HW-800#) 50’ tire flip followed by pushing the truck for 80’ (Chevy 2500 (both classes)
    5.) Atlas Stone Load 60secs; 5 stones both classes (LW-stones will weigh 250#-360# loaded to 54”platform; HW- Stones will weigh 300#-400# loaded to 54” platform)

Usually the HW Masters will use the LW open weights.
    Actually I'm thinking about doing the competition over in Colorado on July 17th. They have a novice division and I'm thinking it will be a more positive first competition, since I'm not sure I'm ready for all of the above yet ( ie I can't log press 300 pounds yet ).

You should cut out any unnecessary ME/DE powerlifting workouts for the next four weeks since they will have a negative impact on your strongman training and could present some recovery problems leading up to the contest.
    That's what I was wondering. Honestly, it's not going to be easy to not squat and pull heavy, but I guess it's only for 4 weeks.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 06-22-2010 at 03:04 PM.

House Lannister
    Hey Tom,

Great thread here, I have a few questions.

1. What do you think is the overall best movement for quad development? I know you mentioned standing lunges and front squats previously, but what do you think is the BEST? Also, what do you think is the best set/rep range for hypertrophy for legs?

2.Also, what is the program you used the most to gain the majority of your strength/size?

3. One more. What do you think is the best rowing movement for back development. Currently I am using barbell rows from the floor, but I don't feel the movement as much in my mid/upper back as I do in my lower back, hams, and glutes. I've been working on form as of late, but I still don't feel the movement as much as I do with t-bar/DB rows. Any suggestions, ideas?

Mr. Bigorexia
    Hello Tom,
    Asked you for a custom routine on a separate forum and you referred me to write something up here. Ill try to provide as much as I can to help you create something tuned to my needs. I can’t reiterate enough how appreciative I am that you provide this service. The routine that got me interested the most was this particular one you posted:

Training Template:

I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    After hearing my goals and past experiences, if you think something else will be better than by all means make something else up. My only real gripe with this routine is DEADLIFTS and SQUATS. I just came back from the cyropractor and she said i need to lay off this for a while; i had poor deadlift form which injured my lower back and since then squats kinda irritate it and deadlifts are the WORST for me. eventually ill get the OK for both those important compound movements but not for a while. I’m clear for everything else. Heres my personal information:

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 190lbs
    Bodyfat %: Estimated around 16-17%
    Training Experience: been weight training for 5 years. Learned most and made most accomplishments when I learned that compound movements are what count. I spent many years in the gym doing what I saw everyone else doing, isolation only. When I started Bill Stars 5x5 program (which I just finished last week; I am deloading this week) I achieved many personal goals. After a whopping 18 weeks on the program, however, I am tired, fatigued, and unenthusiastic about my workouts, and the gains are slowing.
    Goals: my goal would be to compete in bodybuilding in a few years. I favor size over strength and want to gain mass. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy*Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy*Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy
    Misc: I am about to also start taking mixed martial art lessons (once or twice a week). Don’t know how this will interfere with anything if at all. I have weak core strength so I’m hoping MMA can help fix that. MY JOB ALSO DICTATES THAT I MUST BE BIGGER FOR INTIMIDATION FACTOR. I JUST GOT MY SECURITY LISENCE AND WHATS HOLDING ME BACK FROM BEING HIRED TO BAR BOUNCE IS MY LACK OF SIZE (i capitalized only to emphasize how important it is, even to my financial situation, to be bigger lol).
    Current Lifts:
    I will post a picture of my latest training schedule which will give you an idea of where I’m at. Anything I highlighted yellow is what I have performed. You will notice the deadlifts came to drastic stop. This was after my cyro ruled them out for me; at least for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Junkboxer; 06-27-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Hey Tom, do you have any suggestions for how I can setup a 4 day dead/squat only routine on m/t/th/f? I need a break from oh press and bench. I am starting to have problems with my left rotator and plan to do only band related other than the mentioned primary lifts and assistance for de / sq ..... anything that you can think of that would help would really be appreciated... I just want to let my left should heal but continue to progress my other lifts

Really.... if you have a suggestion as to how I should integrate a shoulder rehab that would be amazing... as I really have no idea if what I'm doing is sufficient
    Training lower body (4) times per week could be quite a challenge, so I would recommend taking one of those days and using it for conditioning (cardiovascular training, sled drag, plyometrics, etc.).

F=MA's 4 Day Lower Body Split:
    Monday: ME Squat
    Tuesday: Conditioning / Core
    Thursday: ME Deadlift
    Friday: DE & Accessory Training (Speed Box Squats w/ Bands, GM's etc.)
    Saturday: Rest

You may want to use something like a 5/3/1 template for your ME days, which will help to moderate the intensity and allow for recovery. Let me know if you would like for me to write out specific workout templates for you.

What type of shoulder injury did you sustain? Have you seen a Doctor or Physical Therapist?

In terms of your rehabilitation I believe that it is very important to improve and maintain flexibility. It is also important to warm up properly and to strengthen stabilizer muscles. Do you ever do face pulls? What type of upper body warm-up do you typically perform?

Thanks for the information, i would really appreciate it if you could give me some links. No need to waste your discount codes on me.

I'm also considering starting to take protein supplements, up untill now it was all food, and i'm already growing rather fast, but i feel that extra protein would speed it up even more. cuz as i grow bigger i feel that my food intake alone is not good enough anymore. i'll have to ask one of my mates or the gym owner how exactly those shakes work (how many scoops, how many times a day etc..) i should really start a journal

i'm like the only guy in my gym with a piece of a paper and a pen to keep track of my weight progress

EDIT;

Tiny question i just came up with: how important is leg stretching?

When i do haning knee raises all is well, but if i want to do hanging leg raises well it's seems that my legs make it more difficult cause i can't seem to extend them very well..now i decided to try and see how flexible i am in my legs and put my foot on the table and i can just reach my ankle but my hams are killing me..

So i suppose i need to stretch more? i figured this would maybe also help in deadlifting and squatting?

The main question is tho, do i stretch daily (like when i wake up or something) and for how long etc..

Thank you for great advice as always!
    I will PM you the links and discount codes, they are just general discount codes and can be used by anyone.

Protein supplements they can be used to help you meet your daily dietary objectives, which can help with recovery and muscle/strength building. Usually I will drink 2-3 shakes per day and each shake ranges from 35-75 grams of protein. You may only need 1-2 shakes per day with each one being 25-50 grams of protein.

In terms of a specific shake I would recommend looking at a protein blend (whey/egg/casein) since that will be the most versatile. The company that sponsors this site (and allows me to run this Q&A) offers a great protein blend product called Nitrean, it was picked by Men's Health as the #1 protein shake in 2008 and 2009. You can read more about it here: AtLarge Nutrition Nitrean Protein.

Flexibility and stretching is very important for injury prevention. This is not my area of expertise but in the past I have had good results when I stretch frequently (4-5 days per week).

Keeping a training log is a great way to track your progress and stay motivated, let me know if you start one here and I will try to check in once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Actually I'm thinking about doing the competition over in Colorado on July 17th. They have a novice division and I'm thinking it will be a more positive first competition, since I'm not sure I'm ready for all of the above yet ( ie I can't log press 300 pounds yet ).

That's what I was wondering. Honestly, it's not going to be easy to not squat and pull heavy, but I guess it's only for 4 weeks.
    If the contest is local to you then I would not necessarily look for alternatives just because one of the events is going to be challenging. The HW Master's Log National Record is right around 300 lbs so there is no shame in not being able to press at that level yet. It is the last implement of the press medley so you will still be able to get points for the event as long as you can press at least one of the other implements.

Competing in a novice division is an option but if you are competing in the Master's then chances are that you will only be up against 1-2 other individuals regardless. There is a good chance that you would then qualify for Master's Nationals, which cannot be done in the Novice division (to my knowledge). You do not want to set yourself up to fail which is why I would stick to Master's, but I would not necessarily look to enter a Novice division since you have do have fairly extensive experience with gym training and strongman implements.

With regard to changing your training for four weeks, if anything your power lifts may be stronger from the event work and a short break. Most strongmen have fairly impressive squat and deadlift numbers just from doing heavy event work.

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with for either contest.