Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom,
    I've just recently started reading your posts and training logs and it looks great and it's very interesting! I have looked at your Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) log and your 3-DAy split post and those seem pretty promising. I'm really interested in getting bigger, stronger, and faster (who doesn't?) for football and I was wondering if you could suggest or write me a good program.

Here are some of my infos:
    -I wanna get bigger, stronger, and faster for football
    -Training for about four years, two seriously
    -Previously, I used the 5x5 program and had great results
    -Weight 200 lbs
    -Height 6'2
    -Bench: 275
    -Squat: 405
    -Deadlift: 385 (injured my back previously so I couldn't do much)
    -Currently, I'm more focused on getting gaining some mass
    -I play defensive end

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Training lower body (4) times per week could be quite a challenge, so I would recommend taking one of those days and using it for conditioning (cardiovascular training, sled drag, plyometrics, etc.).

F=MA's 4 Day Lower Body Split:
    Monday: ME Squat
    Tuesday: Conditioning / Core
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: ME Deadlift
    Friday: DE & Accessory Training (Speed Box Squats w/ Bands, GM's etc.)
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

You may want to use something like a 5/3/1 template for your ME days, which will help to moderate the intensity and allow for recovery. Let me know if you would like for me to write out specific workout templates for you.

What type of shoulder injury did you sustain? Have you seen a Doctor or Physical Therapist?

In terms of your rehabilitation I believe that it is very important to improve and maintain flexibility. It is also important to warm up properly and to strengthen stabilizer muscles. Do you ever do face pulls? What type of upper body warm-up do you typically perform?
    thanks tom. its just building up from no time off. i was cutting for a long time.. like 7 months. finally finished and started trying to increase weights with increased cals and im just having shoulder aggravation. its just from true overtraining i think and i need a legit break. i also picked 5/3/1 for my lower days, i wasnt sure how to structure the days though, thank you. what kind of resistance is appropriate for DE days? also, is the ME day just dead and squat or would you mix in some other leg work?

havent seen a doctor or PT.. dont need to spend the $$ for them to tell me to rest it and rehab it.

my plan is just to do light band rotator work including face pulls, internal, external rotation.. thats pretty much all for like 2 weeks. what would you suggest in addition to that? as far as flexibility also? my lower body is very very flexible but i admittedly neglect my upper body as far as stretching goes
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-27-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Tom, got a question for ya. I'm currently doing Jim's 5/3/1 program 4 days a week and doing great and very happy with it, i do sled pulling/truck pushing after my workouts too for conditioning. but I'm worried a bit because in august I'm going under the knife and having surgery on my ankle. i have osteoarthritis in my right ankle. it doesn't really bother me except for first thing in the morning and running long distance. either way I'm not gonna be able to squat or dead-lift or any standing for the most part for at least a month is what the doctor is telling me. what can i do so i don't lose my gains after the surgery?

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...e-these-shakes

could you check this out please?

EDIT:

1) I've been reading a bit about post workout nutrition and you should take in around 40-100g of sugar after the workout to get the protein etc to the muscles? Now since this shake doesn't have any sugar in it, i was wondering if it would be ok to add a spoon or 2 of sugar to my post-workout shake? Or would i be better of eating a banana after my workout and then drink my shake or are both good?

2) Can you build a wide and thick back without chin-ups and t-bar rows?

On the other hand, i've been thinking, the only "isolation" exercise i do for back is one arm dumbell rows, all the rest is two arm exercises, so i suppose chin ups wouldn't make my imbalances worse than they already are since the other exercises don't seem to do that aswell..i suppose i just have to keep an eye on my form.

If i'd do dips and chin ups, but besides that keep my bi's/tri's exercises to mostly one arm movements i should be able to keep in some balance i suppose?

Sorry for all my questions..and thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. I suppose i'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to training.
    Last edited by Shemz; 06-29-2010 at 06:06 AM.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Hi Tom,

Just wondering if you got my PM? Regarding elbow sleeves? Were you able to get in any contact with any australian strongmen or powerlifters? I cant get any decent knee and elbow sleeves in australia.. Though my parents will be in Los Angeles in a couple of days, spose u dont know any stores which sell wraps etc? I've googled but didnt find much at all.. Would be handy if they could bring some decent ones back to save shipping!

However i did find these vulkan elbow supports ( store located in aus ) but they are elastic.. Not too sure if they would be any good for weightlifting though..

http://www.physiosupplies.com.au/aca...w_Support.html

Im probably leaning towards Vulkan or Tommy konos the neophene ones... But theres bugger all located in australia.

Thanks for your help tom.. Appreciated!

Benno

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    thanks tom. its just building up from no time off. i was cutting for a long time.. like 7 months. finally finished and started trying to increase weights with increased cals and im just having shoulder aggravation. its just from true overtraining i think and i need a legit break. i also picked 5/3/1 for my lower days, i wasnt sure how to structure the days though, thank you. what kind of resistance is appropriate for DE days? also, is the ME day just dead and squat or would you mix in some other leg work?

havent seen a doctor or PT.. dont need to spend the $$ for them to tell me to rest it and rehab it.

my plan is just to do light band rotator work including face pulls, internal, external rotation.. thats pretty much all for like 2 weeks. what would you suggest in addition to that? as far as flexibility also? my lower body is very very flexible but i admittedly neglect my upper body as far as stretching goes
    tom.. after having worked the bands and rested this week.. ive been trying to focus on the source of the prob and I think its a anterior/posterior delt imbalance. i feel like my rotator is probably fine.... and being that my anterior is literally 4x the size of the posterior and i think that imbalance is causing the tweaked feeling. does that sound plausible? my major question is how to handle shoulder work while adding in more rear delt work. any suggestions? any suggestions, if possible, please, would be awesome.... pic attached for your viewing reference

Last edited by f=ma; 07-01-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Wannabebig New Member

Thank yofor the forum Q & A

My laptop has been down and things have been busy at work. I will be out of town for the next two days but plan to purchase a new computer on Monday and will reply to everyone's posts as soon as possible.

Have a great holiday weekend!
    my email addy was closed all of the sudden on thurs whiule i was at work ,
    i left my local cable comp in jan . i didnt know after 130 days my email and addy book was deleted,

so i lost everything that way. took my about 30 mins to get here ,

THANK POSTS TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be posting my bio and a bunch of pics to my home gym

I'd love a basic routine from you with all the equipment i have / made

hope yuo had a great 4th with family and loved ones

peaceeeeeeeee

Mark in CT.

Wannabebig New Member

full body vs split

5'11, 193lb
    I can bench 6x225, deadlift 4x315, squat 8x315....i have been doing splits since the beginning of time. I want to gain mass/strength...i'm about to go on an activate extreme + x factor stack...is it worth trying a solid full body or upper/lower split with this stack even if its my first time? for my goals + supp + never having done a full body oriented workout...any thoughts?

if you feel strongly about either, or both for that matter and theres a routine you think would be best for me, please post it
    ( 5'11, 195, want to gain mass and get stronger...i have an almost natural 8 pack so i'm not worried about my inabiltiy to get those back...thats not a concern for me at this point...)

thanks in advance tom

Tom,

Back in January you gave me the following 4x a week workout....It was monday - dlifts, pull ups, t-bar, superset pull ins/pulldowns, dbell row... tues - bench, dbell bench, decline fly, incline hammer, cable cross ... thurs - squats, lunges, SL DL's, superset leg ext and leg curls... fri - milt press, close grip bench, barbell curls, OH extensions, SS shoulder flies.. SS close grip bench, pushdowns, SS preachers, hammers...

I really enjoyed the work out but i am taking this week off because of a trap strain we have talked about and some balky knees that seem to be acting up... Anyway i want to come back with another 4x a week work out and maybe slightly different than the one above just to keep things interesting and keep the body guessing... any suggestions for me? Thanks Tom!

Pete

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom,
    thanks for all the great info!
    I was wondering what's your oppinion on IF, and HCT combined?

Wannabebig Member
    Hey tom,

I was going to post this in the GPP forum, but figured you would be the best person to ask. I recently started incorporating dumbbell farmer's walks into my routine at the end of my workout on my chest/lat/trap day to work on my grip strength a little. My question is what type of distance is ideal for this? Right now I'm walking about 45-47 ft laps at my gym, which is about all I can mannage at the moment with the current weight. Then I repeat this 2-3 more times. Is that an adequate distance?

Also my gym's DB's only go up to 100lbs and they're not quite cutting it, so I decided to wrap a hand towel around each DB (so that they're hanging in the towel) to make it more difficult. It worked but I'm using 90lbs DB and don't have a lot of room to progress in weight. Is there another way to make them more difficult? Thanks so much!

Banned
    Quick question tom:

Im about to compete this weekend at 181, and after this competition I plan on trying my best to getting to well over 200lbs. I know you competed for a couple years at 200, which is where i've been all year. When you decided to make the jump to 231s, what kind of changes did you make to your diet? My training will probably be 5-3-1 with the boring but big assistance work.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Hey Tom,

Great thread here, I have a few questions.

1. What do you think is the overall best movement for quad development? I know you mentioned standing lunges and front squats previously, but what do you think is the BEST? Also, what do you think is the best set/rep range for hypertrophy for legs?

2.Also, what is the program you used the most to gain the majority of your strength/size?

3. One more. What do you think is the best rowing movement for back development. Currently I am using barbell rows from the floor, but I don't feel the movement as much in my mid/upper back as I do in my lower back, hams, and glutes. I've been working on form as of late, but I still don't feel the movement as much as I do with t-bar/DB rows. Any suggestions, ideas?
    Sorry for the delayed response.

1. If I had to pick only one exercise for quad development then I would probably go with bike riding. A lot of early bodybuilders would include this as a part of their training and it is something that I did quite a bit of when I first started training. If you are looking for gym movements then I would say that lunges or squats will be your best bet. Front squats are great but depending on your stance/form you can incorporate other muscles and unless you already have advanced strength levels you may not be able to handle enough weight to really stimulate a lot of growth. Even when my squat was not much over 400 lbs I was able to do standing lunges to an aerobic step with 315 lbs for reps, and had very good quad development at the time.

With regard to rep range I would recommend using a lot of variation, but do not be afraid to work with high reps. In the past I have made great lower body gains by training in the 10-25 rep range. Heavy lower body training has it's place in your program but is also extremely taxing and I am not convinced that it will provide the type of hypertrophy gains that high-rep training can.

2. The program that I followed for my first 5+ years of training was a bodypart split where I trained 4-5 times per week. This provided me with good strength/size gains, and then the majority of my strength that I have gained over the past few years has come from more of an exercise specific split (press/lower/back) and I only train 2-3 times per week.

3. I was never a fan of barbell rows, and my primary rowing movement was usually either dumbbell rows or rows on a hammer strength machine. The hammer strength rows are great and also make it easy to perform drop sets, but I do also like dumbbell rows assuming that you have heavy enough dumbbells at your gym.

Hope this helps; let me know if there is anything else that you would like to go over.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Junkboxer View Post
    Hello Tom,
    Asked you for a custom routine on a separate forum and you referred me to write something up here. Ill try to provide as much as I can to help you create something tuned to my needs. I cant reiterate enough how appreciative I am that you provide this service. The routine that got me interested the most was this particular one you posted:

After hearing my goals and past experiences, if you think something else will be better than by all means make something else up. My only real gripe with this routine is DEADLIFTS and SQUATS. I just came back from the cyropractor and she said i need to lay off this for a while; i had poor deadlift form which injured my lower back and since then squats kinda irritate it and deadlifts are the WORST for me. eventually ill get the OK for both those important compound movements but not for a while. Im clear for everything else. Heres my personal information:

You can still build a great physique without performing deadlifts or squats.

Here is a 4/5 day split that may also be of interest to you:

Training Template:
    Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-20-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by markk228 View Post
    Hey Tom,
    I've just recently started reading your posts and training logs and it looks great and it's very interesting! I have looked at your Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) log and your 3-DAy split post and those seem pretty promising. I'm really interested in getting bigger, stronger, and faster (who doesn't?) for football and I was wondering if you could suggest or write me a good program.

Here are some of my infos:
    -I wanna get bigger, stronger, and faster for football
    -Training for about four years, two seriously
    -Previously, I used the 5x5 program and had great results
    -Weight 200 lbs
    -Height 6'2
    -Bench: 275
    -Squat: 405
    -Deadlift: 385 (injured my back previously so I couldn't do much)
    -Currently, I'm more focused on getting gaining some mass
    -I play defensive end
    Mark,

Just to clarify, I did not write HCT-12 (Daniel Roberts is the creator) but I did try the program earlier this year.

Since you mentioned that you are an athlete, is there is a specific training program that your team currently has in place for you? Also, what type of gym equipment do you have access to and how many days per week are you able to train?

Please reply with that information and I will write something up for you. I will also include information on diet since that is going to be an important factor in achieving your goals.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.

For the DE workouts I would typically work with 50-65% of your 1RM and perform a relatively high volume (5-10 sets) of singles or doubles, perhaps utilizing bands as a part of the resistance if you have access to them. For the ME days you can include some accessory work but I would not go overboard, especially since you have had problems with overtraining in the past.

There are quite a few shoulder mobility and other upper body stretches that you can do. I would just do a quick google or Youtube search and that should give you a good start. One of my friends recommended a book called "Stretch To Win" by Ann Fredrick if you are looking for a more comprehensive resource.

Keep me posted on your training and let me know if there is anything that I can help with.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    Tom, got a question for ya. I'm currently doing Jim's 5/3/1 program 4 days a week and doing great and very happy with it, i do sled pulling/truck pushing after my workouts too for conditioning. but I'm worried a bit because in august I'm going under the knife and having surgery on my ankle. i have osteoarthritis in my right ankle. it doesn't really bother me except for first thing in the morning and running long distance. either way I'm not gonna be able to squat or dead-lift or any standing for the most part for at least a month is what the doctor is telling me. what can i do so i don't lose my gains after the surgery?
    A month is not a long layoff, although I would think that your rehabilitation period could be a bit longer than that depending on the type of surgery. You may want to reach out to one of the board members here Nickp8 as I know that he has had at least one major ankle surgery (he keeps a training journal in the Members Journals section of the forum).

In terms of things that you can do to maintain your gains; I would just focus on continuing with your upper body training and keeping to your diet. You can also find low-impact ways to train your lower body such as swimming.

Even if you have a 6-8 week layoff from lower body movements you should not expect to lose much in terms of strength/size as long as your diet is on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...e-these-shakes

could you check this out please?

EDIT:

1) I've been reading a bit about post workout nutrition and you should take in around 40-100g of sugar after the workout to get the protein etc to the muscles? Now since this shake doesn't have any sugar in it, i was wondering if it would be ok to add a spoon or 2 of sugar to my post-workout shake? Or would i be better of eating a banana after my workout and then drink my shake or are both good?

2) Can you build a wide and thick back without chin-ups and t-bar rows?

On the other hand, i've been thinking, the only "isolation" exercise i do for back is one arm dumbell rows, all the rest is two arm exercises, so i suppose chin ups wouldn't make my imbalances worse than they already are since the other exercises don't seem to do that aswell..i suppose i just have to keep an eye on my form.

If i'd do dips and chin ups, but besides that keep my bi's/tri's exercises to mostly one arm movements i should be able to keep in some balance i suppose?

Sorry for all my questions..and thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. I suppose i'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to training.
    With regard to your question on protein shakes I would just use them as needed to meet your daily objectives. Some people will drink 3-4 shakes per day whereas others will only drink shakes post-workout. You can have a protein shake and some complex carbs (oatmeal) about an hour before training if you would like, but it is also beneficial to just eat a normal meal at that time and perhaps add the protein shake in the morning. There was a study done on protein supplements and in one case the trainees only drank a shake in the morning (70 grams) and in the other group they drank a shake in the morning and evening. The morning group gained strength, but the 2-shake group gained size and strength - most likely due to the difference in overall protein consumption.

If you are going to use shakes for daily consumption (other than just PWO) then I would look at a protein blend like Nitrean. Purchasing this product also helps to support this forum since ALN is the sponsor of WBB.

On to your other questions...

1.) I would not recommend taking in that much sugar, 100 grams is likely going to be excessive for most people. You can go with about a 1:1 ratio of carbs to protein in your post-workout shake. Things like fruit and fruit juice mixed with protein will taste good and provide you with a mix of simple carbohydrates and protein. Oatmeal is another good option and will keep you full for a bit longer because it contains fiber and complex carbohydrates (make sure to cook the oatmeal before blending it with your shake). If you do not have access to a blender when I would just drink your protein shake and eat the banana along with it, that should work just fine. I would also recommend having a protein/carb meal 45-60 minutes after training. This PWO meal can inclue things like lean meat and brown rice or vegetables.

2. There are a number of ways to build muscle, but certain exercises are much more efficient than others. I personally never do chin-ups (underhand grip) or t-bar rows, but I do perform a lot of pull-ups (hands facing away from the body). When first starting out I would typically just use machines such as pulldowns and low pulley rows, and was able to make substantial gains then as well. The most important things with weight training are consistency and intensity. If you train your back on a regular basis and with high intensity you could be doing something as simple as rowing a canoe and you would build an impressive back.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Hi Tom,

Just wondering if you got my PM? Regarding elbow sleeves? Were you able to get in any contact with any australian strongmen or powerlifters? I cant get any decent knee and elbow sleeves in australia.. Though my parents will be in Los Angeles in a couple of days, spose u dont know any stores which sell wraps etc? I've googled but didnt find much at all.. Would be handy if they could bring some decent ones back to save shipping!

However i did find these vulkan elbow supports ( store located in aus ) but they are elastic.. Not too sure if they would be any good for weightlifting though..

http://www.physiosupplies.com.au/aca...w_Support.html

Im probably leaning towards Vulkan or Tommy konos the neophene ones... But theres bugger all located in australia.

Thanks for your help tom.. Appreciated!

Benno
    Unfortunately most of the good sleeves are not sold in retail stores and are only available through mailorder.

Vulkan sleeves are good but I would look at models other than the ones that you listed. If you can find these type of Vulkan sleeves they should work well for you:

http://www.theweakgeteaten.com/Produ...lkan/index.htm

Let me know if you are having trouble and I can try reaching out to some of the Aussie strongmen, although I believe that a couple of them just order their products from the states.

tom.. after having worked the bands and rested this week.. ive been trying to focus on the source of the prob and I think its a anterior/posterior delt imbalance. i feel like my rotator is probably fine.... and being that my anterior is literally 4x the size of the posterior and i think that imbalance is causing the tweaked feeling. does that sound plausible? my major question is how to handle shoulder work while adding in more rear delt work. any suggestions? any suggestions, if possible, please, would be awesome.... pic attached for your viewing reference

That could potentially be the cause of some of your shoulder problems, and I would look to correct the imbalance if it is that drastic (was not able to see the picture for some reason).

For rear delt work I would recommend flyes, reverse pec deck, band pull-aparts, and face pulls. You can add these in toward the end of your workout and I would include 5-10 sets in a moderate rep range (8-12).

You also may want to try building your traps since they can stabilize your shoulders and potentially correct poor posture. One great movement for the traps is seated low pulley rope rows. Take a triceps rope and connect it to the low pulley. Sit close to the pulley (bend your knees) and as you row bring the rope upwards to your neck/face while pulling the rope apart. Perform these with light weight / strict form and you should really feel them in your traps.

Hope this helps, keep me posted on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutusplac View Post
    I'll be posting my bio and a bunch of pics to my home gym

I'd love a basic routine from you with all the equipment i have / made

Mark in CT
    Mark,

I would be happy to put something together for you.

Just post up a list of the equipment that you have in your home gym and I can formulate something from there (pictures are not necessary).

Mr. Bigorexia
    You can still build a great physique without performing deadlifts or squats.

I wrote a 4/5 day split that you may also want to take a look at, and I can help you to customize things for your specific goals.

**I will edit this post within the next 24 hours to include a copy of that program**
    awsome, im looking forward to it. thanks!

I was just reading about the what's good for quad development and you were saying that front squats are good but you need to have good strength and form to stimulate it. I've been doing front squats in the 6 rep range and for these, and even back squats, sometimes it seems like I don't exactly feel my legs getting worked?

Hey Tom, i was wondering what kind of experience you had with football players training and conditioning? At the moment i am without any traditional equipment, such as barbells, dumbbells etc. I use to ahve a barbell but it is no longer fit to use, however i still have some plates with it, and a big hockey goalie bag. I was wondering if i could fill that up with plates (or if its to awkward bags of sand) and use that as a tool for both strength and conditioning. If possible do you think you could write me up such a program?

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,

At the beginning of 2010 I weighed ~310lb standing at 6'4". Now in July I'm at 242lbs. I have been doing a lot of cardio and keeping my calorie intake between 2000-2500 per day. I still have a good amount to fat to lose, but I want to start putting on muscle to fill out my body. Is it possible to gain muscle mass, while still doing only 2500 calories a day and losing 1-2lbs per week?

Or, should I drop down another 30lbs before concentrating on gaining muscle? I really don't want to waste time I could be lifting weights, but if its the only way, then I guess its the only way.

Thanks in advance Tom