The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlips1 View Post
    5'11, 193lb
    I can bench 6x225, deadlift 4x315, squat 8x315....i have been doing splits since the beginning of time. I want to gain mass/strength...i'm about to go on an activate extreme + x factor stack...is it worth trying a solid full body or upper/lower split with this stack even if its my first time? for my goals + supp + never having done a full body oriented workout...any thoughts?

if you feel strongly about either, or both for that matter and theres a routine you think would be best for me, please post it
    ( 5'11, 195, want to gain mass and get stronger...i have an almost natural 8 pack so i'm not worried about my inabiltiy to get those back...thats not a concern for me at this point...)

thanks in advance tom
    Is there any particular reason why you decided to go with Activate Extreme and X Factor? If you are looking to gain mass/strength I would have chosen different supplements.

A full body split is not something that I would recommend for an experienced trainee. You could go with an upper/lower split although they can be pretty demanding. You may want to look at a 3-day or 4-day split that can have two upper days and two lower days, but a bit more variation to allow for recovery. I can write something custom for you if you would like.

How is your diet? That is going to be one of the biggest factors in achieving your goals.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Tom,

Back in January you gave me the following 4x a week workout....It was monday - dlifts, pull ups, t-bar, superset pull ins/pulldowns, dbell row... tues - bench, dbell bench, decline fly, incline hammer, cable cross ... thurs - squats, lunges, SL DL's, superset leg ext and leg curls... fri - milt press, close grip bench, barbell curls, OH extensions, SS shoulder flies.. SS close grip bench, pushdowns, SS preachers, hammers...

I really enjoyed the work out but i am taking this week off because of a trap strain we have talked about and some balky knees that seem to be acting up... Anyway i want to come back with another 4x a week work out and maybe slightly different than the one above just to keep things interesting and keep the body guessing... any suggestions for me? Thanks Tom!

Pete
    Pete,

How would you feel about two lower body training days? I can write up a split that looks something like this:

Monday: Lower Body (Quad Dominant)
    Tuesday: Upper Body (Pulling)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Upper Body (Pressing)
    Friday: Lower Body (Hamstring Dominant)
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

If you are simply looking for new exercises then I can modify the initial split and change up some of the movements. I can also change the order of the days and move it to something like this:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back / Deadlifts
    Thursday: Shoulder / Triceps
    Friday: Legs / Biceps

Let me know which split you would prefer and then I can post specific exercises from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leash View Post
    Hey Tom,
    thanks for all the great info!
    I was wondering what's your oppinion on IF, and HCT combined?
    I am not familiar with "IF", would you be able to post some details on that program? I can help you to form a hybrid routine from there.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Where is most affordable place to get a weighted chain belt(for dips and pullups)? Kind of a random question but I've noticed you know this kind of stuff haha.

Nevermind already got one off apt using the code plwatch.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 08-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
    Hey tom,

I was going to post this in the GPP forum, but figured you would be the best person to ask. I recently started incorporating dumbbell farmer's walks into my routine at the end of my workout on my chest/lat/trap day to work on my grip strength a little. My question is what type of distance is ideal for this? Right now I'm walking about 45-47 ft laps at my gym, which is about all I can mannage at the moment with the current weight. Then I repeat this 2-3 more times. Is that an adequate distance?

Also my gym's DB's only go up to 100lbs and they're not quite cutting it, so I decided to wrap a hand towel around each DB (so that they're hanging in the towel) to make it more difficult. It worked but I'm using 90lbs DB and don't have a lot of room to progress in weight. Is there another way to make them more difficult? Thanks so much!
    The only thing that you can do to make your existing weights more challenging would be to increase the diameter of the handles. You could pick up a pair of Fat Gripz for around $40 and those give you about a 2 1/2" outer diameter which is substantially more challenging than holding onto a standard dumbbell handle.

If you are simply looking to train your grip then I would do dumbbell or barbell holds, and would also include some timed hangs (preferably on a revolving bar).

For GPP if you have a sled and harness you can do farmers walk while dragging the sled; even with light weights this is a fairly challenging exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I am not familiar with "IF", would you be able to post some details on that program? I can help you to form a hybrid routine from there.
    You may know IF as intermitent fasting, which wbb has an article on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Quick question tom:

Im about to compete this weekend at 181, and after this competition I plan on trying my best to getting to well over 200lbs. I know you competed for a couple years at 200, which is where i've been all year. When you decided to make the jump to 231s, what kind of changes did you make to your diet? My training will probably be 5-3-1 with the boring but big assistance work.
    One of the most important things when bulking is to find foods that you enjoy. If you have to force feed yourself constantly then the changes that you will stick with the program are decreased and you will likely become bored/frustrated quickly.

Some good ways to gain weight are to focus on calorie dense foods and to eat before bed time. I would recommend drinking a tall glass of milk before bed every night, and perhaps eating a can of tuna if you like tuna.

Here are some foods that can be good for building quality size:

- Lean Ground Beef (can mix with rice and tomato sauce, vegetables, etc.)
    - Natural Peanut Butter Sandwiches
    - Trail Mix
    - Baked Beans
    - High Calorie Shakes
    - Burritos

You can also take a trip to a buffet or other restaurant once every week or two for a calorie loading day. I used to do this following my strongman training day and noticed that it did help with recovery as well as mass gain.

The biggest thing is going to be consistency. You will have to eat a lot every single day and find ways to work calories into your schedule. Getting to a higher weight is uncomfortable at times and may be hard to maintain for a bit, but it does get easier. After battling for years to get my weight over 200 lbs I am now at a point where I can eat very little and still maintain my bodyweight/physique. Getting there is the hard part, maintenance is not - so there is light at the end of the tunnel if you are bulking.

Let me know if you would like to put together something more specific in terms of a diet plan and i would be happy to help.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Mr. Bigorexia
    You can still build a great physique without performing deadlifts or squats.

Here is a 4/5 day split that may also be of interest to you:

Training Template:
    Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.

thanks tom! is this routine geared towards hypertrophy? also, what weight should i be doing? should i be ramping up every week? does this go for 4 weeks long, which is then followed by a week of de-loading? and finally, i really cant do the deadlifts and squats because of my back so should i replace those movements with something? thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    I was just reading about the what's good for quad development and you were saying that front squats are good but you need to have good strength and form to stimulate it. I've been doing front squats in the 6 rep range and for these, and even back squats, sometimes it seems like I don't exactly feel my legs getting worked?
    The reason that I suggested back squats (high bar, narrow stance, full depth) over front squats for beginner trainees is because the difference in capabilities between the two lifts can sometimes be substantial. It is not uncommon to see someone who can back squat 245 lbs for 5 reps only be able to front squat 155 lbs for 5 reps. If someone is looking for overall lower body development I would recommend performing the back squats, and there will be some carryover to your front squat. Once you get to a point where your front squat is a bit stronger then it can be included as an accessory movement or even perhaps a primary lower body movement.

If you feel like you might not be working the intended muscles then I would recommend lowering the weight that you are using and slow down your tempo so that you can focus on technique. You can build a very impressive physique without lifting super-heavy and even for strength purposes proper technique is very important.

Have you tried different bar positions or foot positions on the squat? Things like high bar vs. low bar, wide stance vs. close stance, foot angle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Hey Tom, i was wondering what kind of experience you had with football players training and conditioning? At the moment i am without any traditional equipment, such as barbells, dumbbells etc. I use to ahve a barbell but it is no longer fit to use, however i still have some plates with it, and a big hockey goalie bag. I was wondering if i could fill that up with plates (or if its to awkward bags of sand) and use that as a tool for both strength and conditioning. If possible do you think you could write me up such a program?
    I have trained with a few athletes in the past.

What is wrong with your barbell that you are not able to use it?

Sandbag (bag full of weights) work can be good for conditioning but I would not consider it a suitable substitute for weight training. Are you just looking for something extra to do at home or looking for a complete program?

I have trained with a few athletes in the past.

What is wrong with your barbell that you are not able to use it?

Sandbag (bag full of weights) work can be good for conditioning but I would not consider it a suitable substitute for weight training. Are you just looking for something extra to do at home or looking for a complete program?
    The bar is extremely old, warped, and rusty. I probably should of never used it in the first place but i did, i threw it out a couple days ago.

I just found out that i will be able to join a gym in august. (the problem before is that the gym is quite far away from me, and between fees and gas money was to much, however i will be able to car pool and afford the fees in august). So i would just like some conditioning work out of it, and to maintain strength (which august isnt very far away so im not to worried about that now).

Wannabebig Member
    hey Tom

I was wondering if you knew of any specific conditioning I could do that relates to football. I am currently running gassers(running the football field 4x at a dead sprint) 12 times with my friend Alex who was told to do this by a preparatory school in New York in order to get in shape for their team. While I feel this works, I can't help but wonder if there might be something better and more suited to my position(linebacker) than just running til I feel like blowing chunks.

If you could just point me in the right direction, or just write me up something super quick it'd be greatly appreciated.

Stuart.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

Wannabebig New Member
    Mark,

Just to clarify, I did not write HCT-12 (Daniel Roberts is the creator) but I did try the program earlier this year.

Since you mentioned that you are an athlete, is there is a specific training program that your team currently has in place for you? Also, what type of gym equipment do you have access to and how many days per week are you able to train?

Please reply with that information and I will write something up for you. I will also include information on diet since that is going to be an important factor in achieving your goals.
    Oh okay, sorry about the mistake. Surprisingly, although we are a nationally ranked team we don't have a specific training program. The only thing our coaches tell us is to do upper-body on Mondays and Wednesdays, and lower-body on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are on our off-season so we only practice Monday to Thursday. However, I do have a membership to a gym so I go there on our off days. I pretty much have access to every gym equipment EXCEPT the reverse hyper machine.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Tom,

I was wondering if you could help me set up my assistance work for 5/3/1. My goals are to get stronger and bigger. I'm currently at 5'8" 185, and would like to get to 200 in the next 6-12 months. I'm doing a carb cycling diet and will start out with adding an additional 500 cals over maintence and adjust from there depending on how much weight I am gaining.

My current lifts are:
    Standing Press: 175 x 3
    Bench: 225 x 8
    Deadlift: 355 x 7
    Box Squats: 335 x 5

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 3x a week and added in a 4th day for arms because I'm trying to bring them up. My weekly routine looks like this:

Mon: Upper (5/3/1 Standing Press)

Wed: Lower (5/3/1 Deadlift)

Fri: Upper (5/3/1 Bench)

Sun: Arms

Mon: Lower (5/3/1 Squats)

etc.

I do arms on either Sat or Sun making sure I have at least one days rest between the "Upper" day and "Arms" day.

What would you recommend for assistance exercises to go along with the 5/3/1 to help me gain some size?

Thanks for all your help!

Pete,

How would you feel about two lower body training days? I can write up a split that looks something like this:

Monday: Lower Body (Quad Dominant)
    Tuesday: Upper Body (Pulling)
    Thursday: Upper Body (Pressing)
    Friday: Lower Body (Hamstring Dominant)

If you are simply looking for new exercises then I can modify the initial split and change up some of the movements. I can also change the order of the days and move it to something like this:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back / Deadlifts
    Thursday: Shoulder / Triceps
    Friday: Legs / Biceps

Let me know which split you would prefer and then I can post specific exercises from there.
    Tom,

Thanks for the response... After further thought I like the 2nd version a bit better. But i've also realized with my trap strain over past few months my chest is falling behind the rest of my body. Can we work using the second template while also trying to catch my chest up to the rest of my body?

How long would you suggest I go for whatever workout you choose to give me? Thanks!

Tom,

In two weeks I will be coming off a contest prep diet. I have been running the program you laid out for me on page 6 of this thread with great success. As I slowly start to add calories for a long winter bulk before a springtime natty show, Ill be looking to start a new program for awhile. Im thinking of trying a split (upper/lower or push/pull or the like) that hits everything twice weekly.

For what its worth, I have been running a carb cycle diet and have recently been running 2x weekly refeeds. My cardio has been 45 minutes LISS daily, however I will occasionally drop the LISS and substitute 20 minutes HIIT if I feel I have the energy and the time to recover prior to my next leg event.

Without knowing specifics about me like a coach would...
    *Do you have a workable template/suggestion for the type of routine Im thinking about?
    *Do you have any opinions on that type of routine (hitting groups 2x weekly)?
    *Do you have a specific reverse diet strategy for adding cals post prep?

My current plan is to reduce cardio to 15 minutes pre workout warmup and 15 minutes post LISS. Diet wise, I plan to add 50g carbs and 5g fats in the first week, and then 20g carbs each week after that to achieve a stable .5-1lb per week gain. I havent seen any clear methods of adding cals post prep, however suggestions range as far as going back to maintenance immediately to simply adding 50 cals to each days totals in the form of carbs.

Thanks as always!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by JakeFurfaro View Post
    Tom,

At the beginning of 2010 I weighed ~310lb standing at 6'4". Now in July I'm at 242lbs. I have been doing a lot of cardio and keeping my calorie intake between 2000-2500 per day. I still have a good amount to fat to lose, but I want to start putting on muscle to fill out my body. Is it possible to gain muscle mass, while still doing only 2500 calories a day and losing 1-2lbs per week?

Or, should I drop down another 30lbs before concentrating on gaining muscle? I really don't want to waste time I could be lifting weights, but if its the only way, then I guess its the only way.

Thanks in advance Tom
    It is possible to gain muscle with your current program, but the rate of muscle gain would obviously be limited by your calorie intake and weight loss objectives.

What I would do is start to incorporate some weight training (2-3 days per week) along with your cardiovascular work (HIIT and LISS) then gradually adjust your calories and/or macronutrients as you get closer to your goals. Weight training is a great way to burn calories and the additional muscle mass will increase your metabolism.

Eating 2,500 calories of high-protein foods is a lot different than eating 2,500 calories of simple carbohydrates - so what you eat is just as important as how much.

To summarize, I would continue to work to lose weight but incorporate weight training and start to focus on protein intake / macronutrients rather than simply counting calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    The bar is extremely old, warped, and rusty. I probably should of never used it in the first place but i did, i threw it out a couple days ago.

I just found out that i will be able to join a gym in august. (the problem before is that the gym is quite far away from me, and between fees and gas money was to much, however i will be able to car pool and afford the fees in august). So i would just like some conditioning work out of it, and to maintain strength (which august isnt very far away so im not to worried about that now).
    Even if a bar is old, warped, and rusty it is usually still usable (or can be restored).

Good to hear that you were able to find a gym arrangement that works for you - keep me posted on your training.

Banned
    One of the most important things when bulking is to find foods that you enjoy. If you have to force feed yourself constantly then the changes that you will stick with the program are decreased and you will likely become bored/frustrated quickly.

Some good ways to gain weight are to focus on calorie dense foods and to eat before bed time. I would recommend drinking a tall glass of milk before bed every night, and perhaps eating a can of tuna if you like tuna.

Here are some foods that can be good for building quality size:

- Lean Ground Beef (can mix with rice and tomato sauce, vegetables, etc.)
    - Natural Peanut Butter Sandwiches
    - Trail Mix
    - Baked Beans
    - High Calorie Shakes
    - Burritos

You can also take a trip to a buffet or other restaurant once every week or two for a calorie loading day. I used to do this following my strongman training day and noticed that it did help with recovery as well as mass gain.

The biggest thing is going to be consistency. You will have to eat a lot every single day and find ways to work calories into your schedule. Getting to a higher weight is uncomfortable at times and may be hard to maintain for a bit, but it does get easier. After battling for years to get my weight over 200 lbs I am now at a point where I can eat very little and still maintain my bodyweight/physique. Getting there is the hard part, maintenance is not - so there is light at the end of the tunnel if you are bulking.

Let me know if you would like to put together something more specific in terms of a diet plan and i would be happy to help.
    Thanks tom, gonna buy a lot of this stuff when I go to the store today.

Was there a specific macro ratio regimen you followed, or did you just eat everything in sight when you were trying to get to ~230+?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Where is most affordable place to get a weighted chain belt(for dips and pullups)? Kind of a random question but I've noticed you know this kind of stuff haha.

Nevermind already got one off apt using the code plwatch.
    The APT dip belt that is on sale for $25 is a good deal, especially with the discount code.

I was going to recommend even just getting a piece of chain and a carabiner clip if you were looking for an inexpensive solution; you could just throw some athletic tape around the part of the chain that connects with your back to make it a bit more comfortable.

House Lannister
    Sorry for the delayed response.

1. If I had to pick only one exercise for quad development then I would probably go with bike riding. A lot of early bodybuilders would include this as a part of their training and it is something that I did quite a bit of when I first started training. If you are looking for gym movements then I would say that lunges or squats will be your best bet. Front squats are great but depending on your stance/form you can incorporate other muscles and unless you already have advanced strength levels you may not be able to handle enough weight to really stimulate a lot of growth. Even when my squat was not much over 400 lbs I was able to do standing lunges to an aerobic step with 315 lbs for reps, and had very good quad development at the time.

With regard to rep range I would recommend using a lot of variation, but do not be afraid to work with high reps. In the past I have made great lower body gains by training in the 10-25 rep range. Heavy lower body training has it's place in your program but is also extremely taxing and I am not convinced that it will provide the type of hypertrophy gains that high-rep training can.

2. The program that I followed for my first 5+ years of training was a bodypart split where I trained 4-5 times per week. This provided me with good strength/size gains, and then the majority of my strength that I have gained over the past few years has come from more of an exercise specific split (press/lower/back) and I only train 2-3 times per week.

3. I was never a fan of barbell rows, and my primary rowing movement was usually either dumbbell rows or rows on a hammer strength machine. The hammer strength rows are great and also make it easy to perform drop sets, but I do also like dumbbell rows assuming that you have heavy enough dumbbells at your gym.

Hope this helps; let me know if there is anything else that you would like to go over.
    Thanks for the reply Tom. I don't need this right away, but I'd be interested to see what you'd recommend for a routine for hypertophy. My numbers aren't great. I'm probably at a 330-340 dead, unknown squat but I'm repping 190 for 10 reps currently (had a back injury earlier this year, building up), and I'm repping 170x10 for sets for bench. I'm mainly going for hypertophy, but strength is still a consideration. I prefer higher rep ranges (6-12) and more volume. Doesn't matter how many days a week I'd train.

If you have any recommendations that'd be great! Thanks again!

Wannabebig Member
    Hello Tom, I noticed that you help out a lot of people so I was just wondering if you could help me out with a good diet. I am going to be lifting two times a day, 3 days a week. I also play football and it starts next week, so I was just wondering what I should do about my diet. I'm about 200 pounds and I take Results (every day) and Nitrean (after i workout)... But other than that I don't know what I should try to fit into my diet. I want to stay about the same weight but I also want to gain muscle so my muscles can pop out more lol... i don't really wanna be ripped = too much work lol.

But yeah, if you could help me, it would be freakin awesome.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I will be lifting at about 5 am then go to school and list at about around 7:30~ for my weight lifting class... So its going to be kind of close and for breakfast I guess a protein shake would be best? I will be alternating lifts so I get a full body workout 3x a week... .I hope thats not bad (2 different types of workouts.. i hope thats not bad) and I can't take multivitamins because I take Accutane and it says that high doses of Vitamin A can cause side effects (side effects are really bad... so I'd rather not take them)

Other than that, I have no idea.. I can squeeze some eating time during school aswell.. even if taht means that I have to run to the bathroom and chomp down a sandwich...
    Last edited by GWilly; 08-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.

GETLEAN
    hey tom, i been working out for 5 years now, i was at my best when i was 23, 180lbs at 8% bf, now im 5foot3 at 210lbs about 20% bf. i cut my calories to about 2400 a day and about 245 grams of protein, my current routing is

Monday
    flat bench
    bb row
    military press
    dips

Wed
    legs

Friday
    incline
    pullups
    laterals
    bb curls

I wanted to start doing some bb complexes bc cardio is boring and i find my self skipping it alot. could u come up with some complexes for me including exercise, even if u have to switch up my routine. I use pryamid sets, what days to do them on and what exercise. Thanks alot

House Lannister
    Hey Tom, another question for you.

I'm looking to add more glute/hip/lower back work into my current split. My split so far looks like this

Day 1-Legs
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Stiff Deads

Day 2 Push/Pull
    Wide-grip pullups
    IC DB Press
    Bent-over rows
    Seated DB military

Day 3 Arms/Abs/Calves
    Close-grip chins
    Dips
    Calve raises
    Ab work

Day 4-Push/Pull
    Bench
    Dead
    Military
    Hypers
    Reverse hypers

Day 5-Arms/Abs/Calves
    Close-grip Chins
    Dips
    Calve raises
    Ab work

Day 6-off

Day 7-legs/repeat cycle

I'm currently looking to incorporate some or all of these exercises:
    Good mornings (lower back emphasis)
    Barbell Glute Bridges
    Pull-throughs

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    hey Tom

I was wondering if you knew of any specific conditioning I could do that relates to football. I am currently running gassers(running the football field 4x at a dead sprint) 12 times with my friend Alex who was told to do this by a preparatory school in New York in order to get in shape for their team. While I feel this works, I can't help but wonder if there might be something better and more suited to my position(linebacker) than just running til I feel like blowing chunks.

If you could just point me in the right direction, or just write me up something super quick it'd be greatly appreciated.

Stuart.
    I am not an expert in this area but like weight lifting it is important to have variation.

You may want to look up an article by Tom Green on sprinting, the article includes a comprehensive training program.

If you are looking for something simple then I would treat it more like weight training and vary the distances / number of 'repetitions' so that you can work your acceleration, sprinting endurance, and overall conditioning. For football I would say that shuttle runs or short sprints would be the most beneficial - performing a high volume or number of sprints.

Hope this helps.