Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Hey Tom,

Its awesome how eager you are to help all these people. Was wondering if you could help customize a workout routine for me as well as any diet/supplement advice.

I started with a beginner routine over at bb forums posted by all pro that was 3x per week full body. It was alright, did it for 3 months but got bored of it and wanted a split. What I like about that routine was that he outlined a steady progression. I am not sure what type of progression I should be shooting for. I saw some different version in one of your posts over at BB forums one included dual progression.

I am 6 foot 1 about 175. Looking to gain 15 lbs of lean dense muscle. Right now I really am only interested in hypertrophy. I can make it to the gym 4x per week. I feel like my chest, traps and calves and forearms are my lagging body parts. Also curious about how often I should do abs (routine? exercises?) and cardio (if any). I play hockey once a week which might be good enough.

I feel like recently I hit a plateau but it might be due to having no set progression scheme or routine. My muscles seem to fatigue very quickly. For example incline bench I will do 1 set of 10 reps struggling on the last one and then it seems I can only get 7 reps on the next set no matter if I drop the weight by 10 or 30 lbs. I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom I live in the Charlotte area and was wondering where I could train for strongman. The Salisbury YMCA has a competition on Sept. 25 and I really want to compete in and compete in many more.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwinger View Post
    Hey Tom I live in the Charlotte area and was wondering where I could train for strongman. The Salisbury YMCA has a competition on Sept. 25 and I really want to compete in and compete in many more.
    There is a training day today at the YMCA on Mallard Creek in Charlotte although I am not sure on the details, there may be more information in the thread in the Powerlifting & Weight Lifting Forum.

If you are looking for a gym that has strongman implements then I would recommend Elite Fitness in Huntersville or Fitness Factory in Charlotte. Both gyms have tires, yoke, stones/kegs, farmers, log, and sleds. Usually strongman implement training takes place on weekends.

http://fitnessfactoryofcharlotte.com/ or www.elitefitnessnc.com

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

*Answered this question out of order because it is time sensitive.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Pete,

Here is the template from the 'Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy' program:

Specific workouts would depend on that specific individual's background and goals.
    Hi Tom,

Sorry for the long hiatus, I had to shift my priorities to taking care of my family. Now things have settled down and I can hit the gym again.

Would it be possible for you to write up specific workouts using this template for me? I would really appreciate it.

Let me know what information you need from me.

Pete

GETLEAN
    hey Tom,

Quick question about sodium, if i eat over the suggested amount will it slow my fa tloss down? Thanks

Wannabebig New Member
    There is a training day today at the YMCA on Mallard Creek in Charlotte although I am not sure on the details, there may be more information in the thread in the Powerlifting & Weight Lifting Forum.

If you are looking for a gym that has strongman implements then I would recommend Elite Fitness in Huntersville or Fitness Factory in Charlotte. Both gyms have tires, yoke, stones/kegs, farmers, log, and sleds. Usually strongman implement training takes place on weekends.

http://fitnessfactoryofcharlotte.com/ or www.elitefitnessnc.com

*Answered this question out of order because it is time sensitive.
    Thank you so much for the info about Elite Fitness I visited them today, and I definitely going to join there!

Searched the thread and didnt see this discussed...

Forgive me, I know this has been addressed in many threads, but I wanted your opinion Tom.

Ive been considering purchasing a belt for some time now, and go back and forth when reading all the arguments in needing vs not needing one. It seems, however, that most guys online that I follow and respect seem to all use one. Id like one to use simply for heavy deads and squats.

I was curious what your opinion is of them and if you have found value in the one you use. Im considering the Inzer Single Prong Forever belt.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by markk228 View Post
    Oh okay, sorry about the mistake. Surprisingly, although we are a nationally ranked team we don't have a specific training program. The only thing our coaches tell us is to do upper-body on Mondays and Wednesdays, and lower-body on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are on our off-season so we only practice Monday to Thursday. However, I do have a membership to a gym so I go there on our off days. I pretty much have access to every gym equipment EXCEPT the reverse hyper machine.
    An Upper/Lower split can be very effective and I would break that down further into a Push/Pull rotation.

Monday: Upper - Pull (Chins, Rows, Cleans, Curls)
    Tuesday: Lower - Push (Squats, Lunges, etc.)
    Wednesday: Upper - Push (Bench Press, Military Press, Dips)
    Thursday: Lower - Pull (Deadlifts, Leg Press, Leg Curls)

Since you are looking for a balance of strength and conditioning I would work up to one heavy set for your primary compound movement for the day and then superset or pick up the pace through the rest of the movements. I would recommend training in the 2-10 rep range for most of your compound movements and then perhaps finishing off with some high rep work on movements like leg press or dips at the end of a workout.

Train based on how you feel and do not push yourself if you are sore or tired, and of course make sure to consume plenty of calories and protein. I would take a look at Opticen from AtLarge Nutrition which is a protein/carbohydrate drink that works great for recovery.

If conditioning is something that you would like to work on you may want to keep your weight training sessions a bit shorter and include some plyometrics, sprints, or circuit training at the end of your sessions.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 08-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by punkguitarist View Post
    Hey Tom,

I was wondering if you could help me set up my assistance work for 5/3/1. My goals are to get stronger and bigger. I'm currently at 5'8" 185, and would like to get to 200 in the next 6-12 months. I'm doing a carb cycling diet and will start out with adding an additional 500 cals over maintence and adjust from there depending on how much weight I am gaining. I'm currently doing 5/3/1 3x a week and added in a 4th day for arms because I'm trying to bring them up. My weekly routine looks like this:

Mon: Upper (5/3/1 Standing Press)
    Wed: Lower (5/3/1 Deadlift)
    Fri: Upper (5/3/1 Bench)
    Sun: Arms
    Mon: Lower (5/3/1 Squats)

What would you recommend for assistance exercises to go along with the 5/3/1 to help me gain some size?
    Here is what I would do in terms of assistance work:

Upper A (5/3/1 Standing Press)
    - Close Grip Bench Press (3 sets)
    - Side Raises (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Lower A (5/3/1 Deadlift)
    - Leg Press (3 sets)
    - Deficit SLDL (2 sets)
    - Good Mornings (2 sets)

Upper B (5/3/1 Bench)
    - Incline Dumbbell Press (3 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Flyes (2 sets)

Lower B (5/3/1 Squats)
    - Lunges (3 sets)
    - Front Squats (2 sets)
    - Leg Extensions (2 sets)

Since this does increase the volume of triceps training you may want to modify your 'Arms' workout to be more biceps-focused and perhaps include a bit more direct shoulder (deltoid) training.

You can also work in some variation with squat and deadlift such as trap bar deadlift, box squats, rack pulls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for the response... After further thought I like the 2nd version a bit better. But i've also realized with my trap strain over past few months my chest is falling behind the rest of my body. Can we work using the second template while also trying to catch my chest up to the rest of my body?

How long would you suggest I go for whatever workout you choose to give me? Thanks!
    Here is the training split that you chose:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back / Deadlifts
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Shoulder / Triceps
    Friday: Legs / Biceps
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

If you wanted to add a bit more emphasis on your Chest you could start off your Thursday workout with a pressing movement (I would recommend dumbbell flat bench) and perhaps include a pressing movement at the end of the workout as a part of a superset or tri-set/complex.

Most people like to change up their routine or split every 3-4 months but if you are making progress and like the split you can always make minor modifications such as changing exercises or rep schemes.

Heya Tom

I was wondering if it is ok to squat with a small board under your heels? I've read that some people say it's good others say it hurts your knees..

Now for me i feel it helps me perfecting my form, my training partner on the other hand can't squat decent with the board under his heels. So i suppose it has something to do with the way your body is built, but i just wanted to make sure tho'.

Also; i have read that your muscles grow from BCAA that they get OUT of the protein you consume. So if i were to take BCAA tablets with my breakfast and before/after training, would this reduce the level of protein i need or?

Thank you in advance.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

hi tom, i have been traning for about 3 years on and off mostlly 1 body part 5 days a week doing 4 exsizes per body part , i was making good gain in the frist few mounths but have been the same size since, my aim is to get big as i can and have powerfully amrs,chest and shoulders,but not a big stomch but i all so no that ill bit on a bit of fat, im 27 years old about 14 stone, i find it very hard to put on size on arms and shoulders, i was hopeing you could help me on the right program and diet, there is a load out there was wondering which would be the best like ss, 5x5,5;3;1,hc12, texesmetod, or should i carry on doing a four day spilt mixing up the sets and reps,or wwb, bady got back or one of yer other routines. really could use the help as it fells like im going no were? and allso would i be able to paly spots like soccer and still gain mass on the program?allso would it be better to do strength traning for a few years to get your size up before bodybuiling if i want to go down that road in a few years?
    Last edited by jds 82; 08-29-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom,

I was wondering if you could layout the full Upper/Lower routine you recommended for me? Here's the format you suggested:
    Monday: Upper / Pressing (Chest-Shoulder-Triceps)
    Tuesday: Lower/ Pulling (Deadlift-Hamstrings)
    Thursday: Optional - Cardio / Abs / Accessory Work
    Friday: Upper / Pulling (Back-Biceps)
    Saturday: Lower / Pressing (Squats-Quads)
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Tom,

In two weeks I will be coming off a contest prep diet. I have been running the program you laid out for me on page 6 of this thread with great success. As I slowly start to add calories for a long winter bulk before a springtime natty show, Ill be looking to start a new program for awhile. Im thinking of trying a split (upper/lower or push/pull or the like) that hits everything twice weekly.

For what its worth, I have been running a carb cycle diet and have recently been running 2x weekly refeeds. My cardio has been 45 minutes LISS daily, however I will occasionally drop the LISS and substitute 20 minutes HIIT if I feel I have the energy and the time to recover prior to my next leg event.

Without knowing specifics about me like a coach would...
    *Do you have a workable template/suggestion for the type of routine Im thinking about?
    *Do you have any opinions on that type of routine (hitting groups 2x weekly)?
    *Do you have a specific reverse diet strategy for adding cals post prep?

My current plan is to reduce cardio to 15 minutes pre workout warmup and 15 minutes post LISS. Diet wise, I plan to add 50g carbs and 5g fats in the first week, and then 20g carbs each week after that to achieve a stable .5-1lb per week gain. I havent seen any clear methods of adding cals post prep, however suggestions range as far as going back to maintenance immediately to simply adding 50 cals to each days totals in the form of carbs.

Thanks as always!
    You obviously have put a lot of thought and planning into your program which is a good thing.

With regard to a specific workout template I agree that an Upper/Lower split could work well, though I would alternate between two different Upper workouts and two different Lower workouts (Upper A, Upper B, Lower A, Lower B).

Here is what the split would look like:

Upper / Lower Template:
    Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower A
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower B

Specific workouts could be:

Upper A:
    - Incline Bench Press (3 sets)
    - Barbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Bench (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Lateral Raises (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Upper B:
    - Weighted Pullups (3 sets)
    - Weighted Dips (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Incline Dumbbell Press (2 sets)
    - Seated Military Press (2 sets)
    - Preacher Curls (2 sets)
    - Overhead Triceps Extensions (2 sets)

Lower A:
    - Deadlift or Rack Pull (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Press (2 sets)
    - Front Squats (2 sets)
    - SLDL (2 sets)

Lower B:
    - Squats (5 sets)
    - Leg Curls (2 sets)
    - Calves (2-4 sets)
    - Abs (3-5 sets)

With regard to your diet I would calculate your maintenance calories based on your current statistics and then go about 500 calories over that. For most people a lower fat and high carb/protein diet works well for bulking and heavy training.

What are you currently doing in terms of supplements? I would drop all thermo's and save them for your prep, but you can still use caffeinated pre-workout products and I would definitely pick up some Results from ALN.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to customize the program a bit to meet specific needs.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 09-02-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Thanks tom, gonna buy a lot of this stuff when I go to the store today.

Was there a specific macro ratio regimen you followed, or did you just eat everything in sight when you were trying to get to ~230+?
    I have never followed a specific ratio, but instead have just targeted specific protein and calorie numbers while making good food choices (based on my goals at that time).

One thing that has worked well for me in the past is eating a set diet for 5-6 days per week and then having a 're-feed' day where I will go to the buffet or really try to pack down a lot of calories.

The biggest things with diet are consistency and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tom. I don't need this right away, but I'd be interested to see what you'd recommend for a routine for hypertophy. My numbers aren't great. I'm probably at a 330-340 dead, unknown squat but I'm repping 190 for 10 reps currently (had a back injury earlier this year, building up), and I'm repping 170x10 for sets for bench. I'm mainly going for hypertophy, but strength is still a consideration. I prefer higher rep ranges (6-12) and more volume. Doesn't matter how many days a week I'd train. If you have any recommendations that'd be great! Thanks again!
    Here is a routine that I posted earlier in this thread that I think would work well for you based on what you are looking for:

Training Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically deadlift every other week.

Please let me know if you are looking for something different and I can write something up or modify this program based on your needs.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, here comes the embarrassing part. I've never been able to do pull-ups in my life. Now I've been doing starting strength and if I struggle I can do 1. Which I think is a testament in itself. I really wanna work on pull-ups.

Is it fine to do pull-ups and pull-up negatives 3 days a week? SS has us squat every day so wouldn't pull-ups be fine too? Ripptoe prescribes them on power clean day but I'd just like to do more...
    Last edited by PhxdB; 09-02-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Wannabebig Member

HCT

Tom,

Great thread and thanks for taking all the time to do this. I have a question about the HCT-12 program. I have been taught since high school to go all out on every lift whether it be complete fatigue, drop sets whatever. I really want to add size/bodybuild so is the HCT-12 progam a good one to continue on for this or should I be going all out like I have been for the past two years? My progress had really slowed to a halt so I am now wondering if I was overtraining. What do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

Wannabebig New Member
    it was basically asking this, im a soccer player i weigh arond 140 pounds im skinny and im 5'10.
    I was wondering if its possible to still gain weight while playing soccer, many great players such as cristiano ronaldo have gained a lot of weight, i was wondering how. Also im doing your 4 day split, i was wondering if i could change

Arms & Shoulders:

The last 2, for barbell shrugs and a forearm isolation. Thanks.

OR, if i should just do a new routine that you have, that would be more beneficial to me? any diet tips? Thanks again

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Tom,

I'm currently taking RESULTS, and I was wondering if it would be okay to only take it on my 4 training days/wk and take 5g creatine on my days off? It would save me some money since Results is not cheap.

Thanks..

Wannabebig Member
    Here is what I would do in terms of assistance work:

Upper A (5/3/1 Standing Press)
    - Close Grip Bench Press (3 sets)
    - Side Raises (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Lower A (5/3/1 Deadlift)
    - Leg Press (3 sets)
    - Deficit SLDL (2 sets)
    - Good Mornings (2 sets)

Upper B (5/3/1 Bench)
    - Incline Dumbbell Press (3 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Flyes (2 sets)

Lower B (5/3/1 Squats)
    - Lunges (3 sets)
    - Front Squats (2 sets)
    - Leg Extensions (2 sets)

Since this does increase the volume of triceps training you may want to modify your 'Arms' workout to be more biceps-focused and perhaps include a bit more direct shoulder (deltoid) training.

You can also work in some variation with squat and deadlift such as trap bar deadlift, box squats, rack pulls, etc.

Thanks for the routine. It looks good. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't include any direct back work (chins, rows, pull downs, etc.). Is this not necessary because my back is being worked on lower days with the deadlifts, good mornings, and SLDL?

Quote Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
    Hello Tom, I noticed that you help out a lot of people so I was just wondering if you could help me out with a good diet. I am going to be lifting two times a day, 3 days a week. I also play football and it starts next week, so I was just wondering what I should do about my diet. I'm about 200 pounds and I take Results (every day) and Nitrean (after i workout)... But other than that I don't know what I should try to fit into my diet. I want to stay about the same weight but I also want to gain muscle so my muscles can pop out more lol... i don't really wanna be ripped = too much work lol.

But yeah, if you could help me, it would be freakin awesome.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I will be lifting at about 5 am then go to school and list at about around 7:30~ for my weight lifting class... So its going to be kind of close and for breakfast I guess a protein shake would be best? I will be alternating lifts so I get a full body workout 3x a week... .I hope thats not bad (2 different types of workouts.. i hope thats not bad) and I can't take multivitamins because I take Accutane and it says that high doses of Vitamin A can cause side effects (side effects are really bad... so I'd rather not take them)

Other than that, I have no idea.. I can squeeze some eating time during school aswell.. even if taht means that I have to run to the bathroom and chomp down a sandwich...
    In order to build muscle and gain strength without putting on a lot of weight you would want to eat at your maintenance calorie level while making good food choices. Without knowing more about you I would estimate that your maintenance calorie number is probably between 2,500 and 3,000 calories per day.

Here is an example diet template:

GWilly's Diet Program:

Early Morning / Pre-Workout:
    - Banana (Or other piece of fruit).

Breakfast / Post-Workout:
    - Opticen Shake or Nitrean Shake blended with Cooked Oatmeal

Snack:
    - Fat Free Greek Yogurt or Novus Bar
    - Results

Lunch:
    - Meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc.)
    - Choice of Sweet Potato, Baked Potato, Vegetables, Brown Rice, Pasta.

Snack:
    - Natural Peanut Butter Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread

Dinner:
    - Meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc.)
    - Baked Potato, Wheat Pasta, Vegetables, or Brown Rice

Bedtime:
    - Fat Free Cottage Cheese or Can / Packet of Tuna Fish.

Additional:

Fluids:
    - Drink 1-2 glasses of water with each meal to ensure that you are adequately hydrated.
    - Stay away from anything with high fructose corn syrup (soda, poweraid, etc.).
    - If you want to drink Gatorade that is OK but mix it 50/50 with water.
    - Fruit juice is alright in moderation as long as it is 100% juice (preferably not from concentrate).

Snacks:
    - Additional options include a handful of almonds for afternoon snack or packet of tuna.

Please let me know what you think of this program and I can customize things for your specific needs and food preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzell84 View Post
    hey tom, i been working out for 5 years now, i was at my best when i was 23, 180lbs at 8% bf, now im 5foot3 at 210lbs about 20% bf. i cut my calories to about 2400 a day and about 245 grams of protein, my current routing is

Monday
    flat bench
    bb row
    military press
    dips

Wed
    legs

Friday
    incline
    pullups
    laterals
    bb curls

I wanted to start doing some bb complexes bc cardio is boring and i find my self skipping it alot. could u come up with some complexes for me including exercise, even if u have to switch up my routine. I use pryamid sets, what days to do them on and what exercise. Thanks alot
    Hartzell84 -

Are you looking to add the complexes in with your current training days or would you be open to training an additional 1-2 days per week?

I have a template that I recently put together for an off-season athlete (wrestler) that may work well for you though it is a 4-day program.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Hey Tom, another question for you.

I'm looking to add more glute/hip/lower back work into my current split. My split so far looks like this

Day 1-Legs
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Stiff Deads

Day 2 Push/Pull
    Wide-grip pullups
    IC DB Press
    Bent-over rows
    Seated DB military

Day 3 Arms/Abs/Calves
    Close-grip chins
    Dips
    Calve raises
    Ab work

Day 4-Push/Pull
    Bench
    Dead
    Military
    Hypers
    Reverse hypers

Day 5-Arms/Abs/Calves
    Close-grip Chins
    Dips
    Calve raises
    Ab work

Day 6-off

Day 7-legs/repeat cycle

I'm currently looking to incorporate some or all of these exercises:
    Good mornings (lower back emphasis)
    Barbell Glute Bridges
    Pull-throughs

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
    Have you ever thought about going over to an Upper/Lower split? You could even do an Upper Primary / Upper Secondary / Lower split if you wanted to include the same amount of arm/ab training volume, but the rotation would allow you to alternate between Quad-dominant and Hip/Glute/Hamstring-dominant workouts.

If you would like for me to write up an example routine with the proposed split I would be happy to put something together for you.

Otherwise what I would do is add in your new movements on your Deadlift and Abdominal training days, adding one movement to each of the days in your current split as to not overdo the amount of volume.

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    Hey Tom,

Its awesome how eager you are to help all these people. Was wondering if you could help customize a workout routine for me as well as any diet/supplement advice.

I started with a beginner routine over at bb forums posted by all pro that was 3x per week full body. It was alright, did it for 3 months but got bored of it and wanted a split. What I like about that routine was that he outlined a steady progression. I am not sure what type of progression I should be shooting for. I saw some different version in one of your posts over at BB forums one included dual progression.

I am 6 foot 1 about 175. Looking to gain 15 lbs of lean dense muscle. Right now I really am only interested in hypertrophy. I can make it to the gym 4x per week. I feel like my chest, traps and calves and forearms are my lagging body parts. Also curious about how often I should do abs (routine? exercises?) and cardio (if any). I play hockey once a week which might be good enough.

I feel like recently I hit a plateau but it might be due to having no set progression scheme or routine. My muscles seem to fatigue very quickly. For example incline bench I will do 1 set of 10 reps struggling on the last one and then it seems I can only get 7 reps on the next set no matter if I drop the weight by 10 or 30 lbs. I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
    There are a couple of options for 4-Day splits; here are two popular programs that I have put together:

4-Day Upper / Lower Template:
    Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower A
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower B

Specific workouts:

Upper A:
    - Incline Bench Press (3 sets)
    - Barbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Bench (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Lateral Raises (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Upper B:
    - Weighted Pullups (3 sets)
    - Weighted Dips (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Incline Dumbbell Press (2 sets)
    - Seated Military Press (2 sets)
    - Preacher Curls (2 sets)
    - Overhead Triceps Extensions (2 sets)

Lower A:
    - Deadlift or Rack Pull (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Press (2 sets)
    - Front Squats (2 sets)
    - SLDL (2 sets)

Lower B:
    - Squats (5 sets)
    - Leg Curls (2 sets)
    - Calves (2-4 sets)
    - Abs (3-5 sets)

4-Day Bodypart Split Template:
    Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Thursday: Legs / Abs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    - Abs: 4-8 sets of various exercises in the 8-15 rep range.

Arms & Shoulders:

**I typically recommend that you deadlift every other week.

Diet Advice:
    Since you are looking to gain size some of the most important factors are going to be choosing calorie dense foods, snacking between meals, liquid calories, and eating before bed.

Calorie Dense Foods:
    - Lean ground beef
    - Natural Peanut Butter or Natural PB Sandwiches
    - Trail Mix
    - Protein Shakes with Heavy Cream
    - Burritos

Snacks:
    - Similar to above, trail mix and PB sandwiches are great.
    - Novus bars are a great way to add in protein/calories on the run.
    - Fruit is easy to transport and will provide energy between meals, I usually eat 2 bananas/day.
    - Almonds are an easy way to add some healthy fats and boost your daily caloric intake.

Liquid Calories:
    This is an easy way to meet your daily caloric needs.
    - Sip on an Opticen shake between meals.
    - Drink skim milk with meals or before bed.
    - Add carbohydrate powder (CarbMax) to water, just not with high-fat meals.

Supplement Advice:
    Do not waste money on supplements that do not provide a worthwhile return on investment - stick with creatine, beta-alanine, and protein. You can also add some caffeine for pre-workout if you need a boost.

The best product that I have found for size/strength is called Results - it is a mix of creatine, beta-alanine, HMB, and dextrose. This provides for notable improvements in strength endurance, mass, and recovery. Along with Results I would recommend a protein blend called Nitrean. Both of which have been staples in my supplement program for the past two plus years and I have been very pleased with them (can be purchased from AtLarge Nutrition - link in my signature).