Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    In order to build muscle and gain strength without putting on a lot of weight you would want to eat at your maintenance calorie level while making good food choices. Without knowing more about you I would estimate that your maintenance calorie number is probably between 2,500 and 3,000 calories per day.

Here is an example diet template:

GWilly's Diet Program:

Early Morning / Pre-Workout:
    - Banana (Or other piece of fruit).

Breakfast / Post-Workout:
    - Opticen Shake or Nitrean Shake blended with Cooked Oatmeal

Snack:
    - Fat Free Greek Yogurt or Novus Bar
    - Results

Lunch:
    - Meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc.)
    - Choice of Sweet Potato, Baked Potato, Vegetables, Brown Rice, Pasta.

Snack:
    - Natural Peanut Butter Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread

Dinner:
    - Meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc.)
    - Baked Potato, Wheat Pasta, Vegetables, or Brown Rice

Bedtime:
    - Fat Free Cottage Cheese or Can / Packet of Tuna Fish.

Additional:

Fluids:
    - Drink 1-2 glasses of water with each meal to ensure that you are adequately hydrated.
    - Stay away from anything with high fructose corn syrup (soda, poweraid, etc.).
    - If you want to drink Gatorade that is OK but mix it 50/50 with water.
    - Fruit juice is alright in moderation as long as it is 100% juice (preferably not from concentrate).

Snacks:
    - Additional options include a handful of almonds for afternoon snack or packet of tuna.

Please let me know what you think of this program and I can customize things for your specific needs and food preferences.
    Thanks for helping me out Tom. I will definately use this to my advantage! Also, I didn't know powerade was bad for you... I drink a 32oz bottle of it every day after football practice. I guess I should quit that then.

Again, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
    Thanks for helping me out Tom. I will definately use this to my advantage! Also, I didn't know powerade was bad for you... I drink a 32oz bottle of it every day after football practice. I guess I should quit that then.

Again, thank you so much!
    No problem, let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

If you want to have a sports drink after your workout then Gatorade would be a better choice since it is made with dextrose rather than high fructose corn syrup. For something that will help a bit more with recovery I would recommend an Opticen shake; it provides a more well rounded solution since it combines carbohydrates with slow and fast-digesting proteins.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

There are a couple of options for 4-Day splits; here are two popular programs that I have put together:

4-Day Upper / Lower Template:
    Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower A
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower B
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

Specific workouts:

Upper A:
    - Incline Bench Press (3 sets)
    - Barbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Bench (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Lateral Raises (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Upper B:
    - Weighted Pullups (3 sets)
    - Weighted Dips (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Incline Dumbbell Press (2 sets)
    - Seated Military Press (2 sets)
    - Preacher Curls (2 sets)
    - Overhead Triceps Extensions (2 sets)

Lower A:
    - Deadlift or Rack Pull (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Press (2 sets)
    - Front Squats (2 sets)
    - SLDL (2 sets)

Lower B:
    - Squats (5 sets)
    - Leg Curls (2 sets)
    - Calves (2-4 sets)
    - Abs (3-5 sets)

4-Day Bodypart Split Template:
    Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Thursday: Legs / Abs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    - Abs: 4-8 sets of various exercises in the 8-15 rep range.

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically recommend that you deadlift every other week.

Diet Advice:
    Since you are looking to gain size some of the most important factors are going to be choosing calorie dense foods, snacking between meals, liquid calories, and eating before bed.

Calorie Dense Foods:
    - Lean ground beef
    - Natural Peanut Butter or Natural PB Sandwiches
    - Trail Mix
    - Protein Shakes with Heavy Cream
    - Burritos

Snacks:
    - Similar to above, trail mix and PB sandwiches are great.
    - Novus bars are a great way to add in protein/calories on the run.
    - Fruit is easy to transport and will provide energy between meals, I usually eat 2 bananas/day.
    - Almonds are an easy way to add some healthy fats and boost your daily caloric intake.

Liquid Calories:
    This is an easy way to meet your daily caloric needs.
    - Sip on an Opticen shake between meals.
    - Drink skim milk with meals or before bed.
    - Add carbohydrate powder (CarbMax) to water, just not with high-fat meals.

Supplement Advice:
    Do not waste money on supplements that do not provide a worthwhile return on investment - stick with creatine, beta-alanine, and protein. You can also add some caffeine for pre-workout if you need a boost.

The best product that I have found for size/strength is called Results - it is a mix of creatine, beta-alanine, HMB, and dextrose. This provides for notable improvements in strength endurance, mass, and recovery. Along with Results I would recommend a protein blend called Nitrean. Both of which have been staples in my supplement program for the past two plus years and I have been very pleased with them (can be purchased from AtLarge Nutrition - link in my signature).

Thanks for the reply Tom. I saw a different program you put together for a member and I liked it because of the focus on chest:

Chest-Specific Training Template:

Monday: Back / Biceps
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Chest / Shoulders / Arms

Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Flat DB or BB Bench Press: (4) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Incline BB Press: (1) rest-pause set of 15-20+ reps, (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Decline Fly / DB Press [Superset]: (3) sets of 10 & 10
    - Pec Deck / Chest Press Machine [Superset]: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Chest, Arms, & Shoulders:
    - Decline BB Press: (4) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Incline DB Flyes: (1) sets of 10-15 reps
    - Seated DB Military Press: (2) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips (or) Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (4) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (3) sets
    - Overhead Extension / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets or 8-10 reps

I have a few questions for you.

1. Is there enough focus on shoulders in this program? Just 2 sets of military press and the lateral/front raise supersets?
    2. Do you recommend adding additional excercises for traps or do you think this program will hit them well?
    3. My calves are pretty small. I know this is partly due to genetics. What do you recommend to stimulate calf growth?
    4.Should I choose weights to run each set to failure and just increase weight when I can achieve more reps than the given range?

Thanks for your help.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Tom I remember you telling me to post in this thread over at bb.com to try and get some training advice so I decided to give it a shot and see what you think.

Right now I'm 5'9 260 and just getting back into working out (been working out almost 8 weeks.) my overall strength is pretty dismal for my weight so my priority is getting that up but I want to focus my conditioning on strongman type training since I want to eventually compete.

At the moment I am doing 5/3/1 with DB farmer walks, sled pulls and agility training as my conditioning until I can purchase some more strongman equipment. I dont really WANT to lose weight, although I do have alot of fat to lose but I want to stay above 240 just so its easier to put on strength/mass.

Do you think my current training program would be good for a couple months until my overall conditioning and strength improves? Or do you have something a little better that you can come up with that could speed up the results. I dont care about bb routines I just want to get strong as hell and start competing in a few years

Current program is

Monday - 5/3/1 chest (Accessory: DB Incline, Pushdowns, DB Rows) conditioning
    Tuesday- 5/3/1 squats (Accessory: Front Squats, Reverse Hypers, Abs) conditioning
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - 5/3/1 Push Press (Accessory: DB Military, Pushdowns, Pullups) conditioning
    Friday - 5/3/1 Deadlifts (Accessory: Leg curls, Front Squats, Abs) Conditioning
    Saturday: Sled Pulls/Farmers walks
    Sunday: rest

Just to give you an idea where I'm at strength wise
    Current 1rm
    squat: 330lb
    DL: 365
    Push Press: 170
    Bench: 170

So I have alot of room to improve in everything so I look forward to your advice.
    Last edited by northtexasbb; 09-16-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGuy505 View Post
    it was basically asking this, im a soccer player i weigh arond 140 pounds im skinny and im 5'10.
    I was wondering if its possible to still gain weight while playing soccer, many great players such as cristiano ronaldo have gained a lot of weight, i was wondering how. Also im doing your 4 day split, i was wondering if i could change

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets

The last 2, for barbell shrugs and a forearm isolation. Thanks.

OR, if i should just do a new routine that you have, that would be more beneficial to me? any diet tips? Thanks again
    i think you missed my post..

EDIT: See post #616 below
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 10-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Hi Tom, I'd greatly appreciate your help putting together a program.

I'm only able to train twice a week (Friday and Sunday, or Tuesday/Wednesday and Friday). I currently squat (when my knee allows it) 308lb (for between 1 and 3 sets of 5), deadlift 352lb 1x3 (overhand grip), bench press 132lb 3x5 (only started 2 weeks ago) and push press 132lb 3x5 (again, only been doing it for 2 weeks). My goal is to get strong enough to be able to compete in Strong Man in a couple of years.

I'll be able to train every once in a while with people who have access to Atlas stones, tires, kegs etc. and the gym I train at will be getting some equipment fairly soon as well (there's already a Prowler and sleds).

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend everyone!
    Last edited by [R_H]; 09-24-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Ok, I was wondering about something..due to not training my rear delts alot in the past i now have a rather big imbalance between my rear delts and the rest of my shoulder. I already cut out front raises out of my shoulder workout etc.. I'm still doing behind the neck presses tho' but those aren't really helping me improve it either..

Now i was wondering if i should cut out all shoulder work besides rear and side delt isolation exercises untill i get it balanced out. I suppose this can only improve and not stall the rest of my upper body workout since those two are def. my weak links.

I would like to know your opinion about this. Also people always told me if your working out your shoulders at least go for 12 reps and pump as much blood as you can in those suckers. So, would that be good now or would i be better off to go heavy to fix the imbalance?

Just imagine a rear delt and the a front delt that's 3x the size, that's what it's looking like now..and if i pose the rear delt is like..'below' the rest of my shoulder, you understand? I used to have a good pic to illustrate it, but i got a new computer so uhm i hope you understand my explanation. From what i heard alot of beginning amateur bodybuilders have that problem from not paying alot of attention to them in the past, but that it's also "fixable"..

Cheers.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Sorry for the long hiatus, I had to shift my priorities to taking care of my family. Now things have settled down and I can hit the gym again.

Would it be possible for you to write up specific workouts using this template for me? I would really appreciate it.

Let me know what information you need from me.

Pete
    Pete,

Is this the program that you are interested in the detailed workouts for?

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...m-hypertrophy/

Please let me know and I can put something together from there.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzell84 View Post
    hey Tom,

Quick question about sodium, if i eat over the suggested amount will it slow my fa tloss down? Thanks
    Hartzell -

The difference that sodium will make really depends on your current physique and how disciplined you are in other areas. In general a little extra sodium should not have much of a negative impact as long as your blood pressure is healthy and you are drinking enough water.

If you are preparing for a bodybuilding competition and looking to take your bodyfat into low single digits while peaking for a specific event then I would be more aware of sodium intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Forgive me, I know this has been addressed in many threads, but I wanted your opinion Tom.

Ive been considering purchasing a belt for some time now, and go back and forth when reading all the arguments in needing vs not needing one. It seems, however, that most guys online that I follow and respect seem to all use one. Id like one to use simply for heavy deads and squats.

I was curious what your opinion is of them and if you have found value in the one you use. Im considering the Inzer Single Prong Forever belt.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM
    Irish Pilot -

Have your purchased a belt yet?

A single prong Inzer forever belt would be a good choice; though I would recommend ordering over the phone if you plan to purchase directly from Inzer since they have been known to have some shipping problems/delays with online orders.

Irish Pilot -

Have your purchased a belt yet?

A single prong Inzer forever belt would be a good choice; though I would recommend ordering over the phone if you plan to purchase directly from Inzer since they have been known to have some shipping problems/delays with online orders.
    Nah not yet. I keep going back and forth on it. I was planning on the Inzer if I do end up with a belt...just havent decided whether or not to go with one at this point.

Alright I'll throw another one at ya.

I am trying to rehab after an injury and I am paying strict attention to form rather than weight.

I have noticed that I am able to essientally put the entire weight of my upper torso on my lower back spine.

When I do this it mirrors the correct form I have seen in all form videos etc but I am concerned with the dangers and I am wondering If I have a poor spinal structure.

I attached a picture on part B it seems like I am able to achieve a greater Arch than that almost like a

\_
    _|

Back structure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I notice you're a strongman.
    I'm getting a farmers walk, yolk, log, set of atlas stones.
    I already have a bench, 100kg adjustable dumbbells, heavy duty barbell, power rack, hip belt and a reverse hyper and GHR.

My goals are to become as fuctionally strong as possible. I also care about size.

I found this routine:

Monday
    Dumbbell press 3x5
    Dips 3x5
    Tripcep pushdown 3x5

Wednesday
    Deadlift 1x5
    Squats 3x5
    GHR
    Reverse hyper

Thursday
    Chins 3x5
    Rows 3x5

Saturday
    Events day. How do I go about this? I have no idea what rep ranges to use and stuff like that.
    This is where I really need your help.

Just to let you know. I think I have decent recovery ability. I also don't have to work and get good nutrition.
    Cheers.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Upper / Lower Template:
    Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower A
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower B
    Sunday: Rest

Specific workouts could be:

Upper A:
    - Flat Bench Press (3 sets) 5-8
    - Barbell Rows (2 sets) 6-8
    - Incline Press (2 sets)8-10
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets) 8-10
    - Lateral Raises (2 sets) 8-10
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets) 8-10
    - Pushdowns (2 sets) 8-10

Upper B:
    - Weighted Pullups (4 sets) 6-8
    - Incline DB Press (2 sets) 6-8
    - Dumbbell Rows (2 sets) 8-10
    - Weighted Dips (2 sets) 8-10
    - Arnold Press (2 sets) 8-10
    - Standing Straight Bar Curls (2 sets) 8-10
    - Overhead Triceps Extensions (2 sets) 8-10
    - Abs (3-5 sets)

Lower (Lyle McDonald Lower Day)
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
    SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

As you can see I made a few more changes in regards to chest movements. I also stole the lower day from Lyle McDonald's generic upper/lower.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 10-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Pete,

Is this the program that you are interested in the detailed workouts for?

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...m-hypertrophy/

Please let me know and I can put something together from there.
    Hi Tom,

Yes, that is the correct program. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Pete

Hi Tom,

I have recently decided to swap my HCT-12 to train for a Strongman comp next year (under 95KG) Weight class. My gym has all the kit I need, I sat with my gym instructor with your routine from your article and as I am a beginner and still have a way to build a great deal of strength but here is my routine followed by my first workout, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am worried slightly about the Rep ranges/Volume if you can help with that it would be great! Thanks, Kiff.

Strongman Routine
    Monday: Rest

Tuesday: incline press / standing push jerk / log press, triceps & light shoulder work

Wednesday: deadlift / front squat / cleans, leg assistance exercises (machines) Tire Drag. (I will tire drag every other week when I can train in Daylight. Machines for the other...

Thursday:Rest

Friday: Pullups, Heavy Abs work around rotational lifts from floor to OH,Light Cardio

Sunday: Events, making myself familiar with them, starting with Farmers walk+Log Press+Viking Press+Yoke

I went with Tom's routine from his article (How to get the best from events day) routine. And with a bit of mix and match to meet my needs and match the equipment this it what the guys came up with.

Only thing i am bit apprehensive about is the reps.

2x10, 2x6, 2x4, 1x4 is what he recommended going up in weight between sets...for the main lifts anyway, log is a log so that would be a set amount ofc. Light work is 3x10

Today

Started on my wednesday day as i pressed yesterday

Front Squats

Bar
    1x10
    1x10

50KG

1x6
    1x6

70KG (154LBS) First ever front squats today

1x4
    1x4

Deads

60KG

1x10
    1x10

90KG

1x6
    1x6

120KG (264LBS) Wouldnt get another set!

1x4

Cleans

Bar
    1x10
    1x10

30KG

1x6
    1x6

40KG

1x6
    1x6

50KG (110LBS)

1x4
    1x4

Hack Squats

3x10x40KG
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by northtexasbb View Post
    Hey Tom I remember you telling me to post in this thread over at bb.com to try and get some training advice so I decided to give it a shot and see what you think.

Right now I'm 5'9 260 and just getting back into working out (been working out almost 8 weeks.) my overall strength is pretty dismal for my weight so my priority is getting that up but I want to focus my conditioning on strongman type training since I want to eventually compete.

At the moment I am doing 5/3/1 with DB farmer walks, sled pulls and agility training as my conditioning until I can purchase some more strongman equipment. I dont really WANT to lose weight, although I do have alot of fat to lose but I want to stay above 240 just so its easier to put on strength/mass.

Do you think my current training program would be good for a couple months until my overall conditioning and strength improves? Or do you have something a little better that you can come up with that could speed up the results. I dont care about bb routines I just want to get strong as hell and start competing in a few years

Current program is

Monday - 5/3/1 chest (Accessory: DB Incline, Pushdowns, DB Rows) conditioning
    Tuesday- 5/3/1 squats (Accessory: Front Squats, Reverse Hypers, Abs) conditioning
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - 5/3/1 Push Press (Accessory: DB Military, Pushdowns, Pullups) conditioning
    Friday - 5/3/1 Deadlifts (Accessory: Leg curls, Front Squats, Abs) Conditioning
    Saturday: Sled Pulls/Farmers walks
    Sunday: rest

Just to give you an idea where I'm at strength wise
    Current 1rm
    squat: 330lb
    DL: 365
    Push Press: 170
    Bench: 170

So I have alot of room to improve in everything so I look forward to your advice.
    How is your training going?

If you are still looking for a new program I can put something together for you.

Quote Originally Posted by [R_H] View Post
    Hi Tom, I'd greatly appreciate your help putting together a program.

I'm only able to train twice a week (Friday and Sunday, or Tuesday/Wednesday and Friday). I currently squat (when my knee allows it) 308lb (for between 1 and 3 sets of 5), deadlift 352lb 1x3 (overhand grip), bench press 132lb 3x5 (only started 2 weeks ago) and push press 132lb 3x5 (again, only been doing it for 2 weeks). My goal is to get strong enough to be able to compete in Strong Man in a couple of years.

I'll be able to train every once in a while with people who have access to Atlas stones, tires, kegs etc. and the gym I train at will be getting some equipment fairly soon as well (there's already a Prowler and sleds).

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend everyone!
    If your ultimate goal is to compete in strongman you may want to try some of the programs in this article:

Creating an Effective Strongman Routine - Tom Mutaffis

Please let me know if you are looking for something different.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-06-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post

Ok, I was wondering about something..due to not training my rear delts alot in the past i now have a rather big imbalance between my rear delts and the rest of my shoulder. I already cut out front raises out of my shoulder workout etc.. I'm still doing behind the neck presses tho' but those aren't really helping me improve it either..

Now i was wondering if i should cut out all shoulder work besides rear and side delt isolation exercises untill i get it balanced out. I suppose this can only improve and not stall the rest of my upper body workout since those two are def. my weak links.

I would like to know your opinion about this. Also people always told me if your working out your shoulders at least go for 12 reps and pump as much blood as you can in those suckers. So, would that be good now or would i be better off to go heavy to fix the imbalance?

Just imagine a rear delt and the a front delt that's 3x the size, that's what it's looking like now..and if i pose the rear delt is like..'below' the rest of my shoulder, you understand? I used to have a good pic to illustrate it, but i got a new computer so uhm i hope you understand my explanation. From what i heard alot of beginning amateur bodybuilders have that problem from not paying alot of attention to them in the past, but that it's also "fixable"..

Cheers.
    Shemz -

I apologize for losing track of this thread.

One thing that I would do is make sure that your deltoid imbalance is not caused by a postural issue, since they are quite common.

In order to correct the imbalance I recommend doing more direct work for your rear deltoids along with some heavy upper back training. With regard to rep range I have not found there to be any difference in upper body muscle groups, although I will sometimes work in some high-rep lower body training. For size/strength I would stick with 4-10 repetitions.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Partyfoul View Post
    Alright I'll throw another one at ya.

I am trying to rehab after an injury and I am paying strict attention to form rather than weight.

I have noticed that I am able to essientally put the entire weight of my upper torso on my lower back spine.

When I do this it mirrors the correct form I have seen in all form videos etc but I am concerned with the dangers and I am wondering If I have a poor spinal structure.

I attached a picture on part B it seems like I am able to achieve a greater Arch than that almost like a

\_
    _|

Back structure.
    Are you leaning forward when you squat or staying upright?

Front squats are usually easier on your low back because they force you to stay upright.

In order to critique your form I would like to see a video; you can email that to me if you would rather not post it online (PM me for email address).

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    I notice you're a strongman.
    I'm getting a farmers walk, yolk, log, set of atlas stones.
    I already have a bench, 100kg adjustable dumbbells, heavy duty barbell, power rack, hip belt and a reverse hyper and GHR.

My goals are to become as fuctionally strong as possible. I also care about size.

I found this routine:

Monday
    Dumbbell press 3x5
    Dips 3x5
    Tripcep pushdown 3x5

Wednesday
    Deadlift 1x5
    Squats 3x5
    GHR
    Reverse hyper

Thursday
    Chins 3x5
    Rows 3x5

Saturday
    Events day. How do I go about this? I have no idea what rep ranges to use and stuff like that.
    This is where I really need your help.

Just to let you know. I think I have decent recovery ability. I also don't have to work and get good nutrition.
    Cheers.
    The gym training portion of that program looks like it would work well; though you may want to consider adding in some OLY lifts, front squats, and push press.

With regard to the strongman training day you may want to look at some of the examples from this article:

Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy - Tom Mutaffis

Along with farmers, yoke, log, and stones I would recommend that you pick up a couple of items for conditioning work and for medleys. A keg, field stone, tire, and tire sled would cost you very little and would provide you with a number of training options. By adding these implements you can alternate between speed, power, and volume workouts - this will allow for adequate recovery and also provide you with variation so that you do not become bored with the training.

Please let me know if you are looking for something more specific and if you have added any implements since this post.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-06-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    As you can see I made a few more changes in regards to chest movements. I also stole the lower day from Lyle McDonald's generic upper/lower.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
    Sorry for another late response.

The 'lower' day looks like it could be a bit hamstring intensive, so I would work in some lunges and perhaps drop the Leg Curls or one set of the Leg Press.

With regard to the upper body workouts, the changes with the rep ranges should work well.

How is the program working out for you so far?

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Yes, that is the correct program. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Pete
    Pete -

If you are still interested in this information please let me know and I will put something together for you.

Wannabebig Member
    Damn Tom, you seem like the most eager and willing to help person on this board by far.

I don't really have any questions. I just figured I'd say thanks for your enthusiasm to help everybody out here!
    Last edited by PhxdB; 12-06-2010 at 04:02 PM.