Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by WaNNaB3Bigg3r View Post
    Tom

I have been on the forum for a while now and see you help alot of people with goals/training ect.
    I just started a journal but my workout is all over the place.
    Would you be able to help me set up a program for my goals?

I'm weighing about 77kg right now and just short of 5/8, about 19-20% body fat I would say (I have posted pictures in the picture section). My overall goal is to hit about 85kg. My short term goal is 80kg.
    When I first started training about a year ago I was around 64kg, so I'm happy with my progress but its got to a point now where I need a routine, I have had no specfic routine to follow and "Off Road" has already advised me I'm hitting the same body parts to soon and it needs mixing up. I have also never really trained my core which could be a problem?

I train at home in my garage, I have a fair bit of equipment.
    Bench (can do incline but no decline)
    Barbell (10kg)
    ez curl bar
    dumbells
    12kg kettlebell
    weight plates *- 4x0.5kg - 4x1.25kg - 4x.2.5kg - 4x5kg - 2x7.5kg - 4x10kg - 2x15kg
    Ab roll out wheel
    Stationary bike
    Push up bars
    and lots of boxing equipment i.e gloves mitts bag and skipping rope.

Only problem is NO squat rack!

My numbers are as follows (max reps)

Bench 100kg
    Deadlift 120kg
    Squat ???
    Overhead 55kg
    Barbell row 70kg
    Barbell curl 45kg
    Close grip bench 70kg

Would you be willing to help me set up a routine?
    I would be very greatful.

I have had a look at all the routines on here but not sure which one is for me? They all include the squat which clearly is a big movement but like I said I got no rack.

Anything that you would need to know just ask!

Thank You
    Mike
    Mike,

If you can overhead press 55 Kg then that means that you can at least get that amount of weight into position for a squat, so you may want to try a high-rep squat program (20-rep, etc.).

Since you are at a point where consistency and work ethic are going to make the biggest difference I would just look for a program that is balanced and easy to follow. Do not worry about a lot of complex exercises or protocols - just focus on pushing yourself and allowing for ample recovery when necessary.

I have a 3-Day and 4/5-Day template posted in this thread which may be of interest to you, but there are plenty of other good options out there as well. My advice would be to choose a program that is written by someone reputable, and then I can help you to tweak things to meet your specific needs/objectives.

Hope this helps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    My strength levels are bench - 205lbs, deadlift - 245, squat - 225. These are all for reps. I try to work in 2 sets twice a week for calves and forearms for separate days, but I don't know how I should be training these muscles as far as high reps or low reps and how often.
    An upper/lower split should be fine, and the additional volume may help you to progress more quickly. It is important to have some sort of progression scheme - and there are many options when it comes to progression.

Do you keep a training log? That is one of the best ways to chart your progress and come up with a plan for making gains.

What I would do is pick a weight or a specific number of repetitions and then work your way up shooting for a new PR every two weeks. For example if you pick 175 lbs for bench press and you can currently perform 4 reps, then in two weeks you should attempt to perform 5 reps and in an additional two weeks go for six reps. If you miss a PR then you take a week of light training and reset (starting back a bit lighter than where you left off).

You may want to look at the HCT-12 Upper/Lower split, I used the 3-day template but the 4-day is also quite popular.

For your forearms and calves the important thing is to make sure that you are working them to failure. Higher rep ranges are more common with smaller muscle groups and you can usually get away with a bit more volume as well - so I would say to shoot for 3-5 sets of 10-20 reps, 1-3 times per week. Some individuals will train even more frequently and that can work, but you need to be careful not to over-train as well.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    TM, how would you implement a comprehensive training program for a 12 year old athlete who plays football? My son and I will begin working out after the new year. Our main focus is to increase his acceleration/explosiveness. Our workouts will be on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and all bodyweight based(ie. push-ups, chin-ups, bench dips, medicine ball throws(15lbs), step-ups on a 12" box, 45 degree hypers, and walking lunges. Light sled drags for speed twice a week for 5 x 20 yards with 2 unresisted 10-20 yard sprints after(contrast training). Jumping rope as a warmup before each workout. The workouts will be brief to keep him from burning out. So, what would be the best way to organize everything?
    For a young athlete I would focus on more speed, conditioning, and agility work rather than pure strength training.

Some things that you may want to include in his training:

- Plyometrics
    - Ladder Drills or Dot Drills
    - Shuttle Runs
    - Sprinting
    - Cross Training (cycling, rowing, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Mike,

If you can overhead press 55 Kg then that means that you can at least get that amount of weight into position for a squat, so you may want to try a high-rep squat program (20-rep, etc.).

Since you are at a point where consistency and work ethic are going to make the biggest difference I would just look for a program that is balanced and easy to follow. Do not worry about a lot of complex exercises or protocols - just focus on pushing yourself and allowing for ample recovery when necessary.

I have a 3-Day and 4/5-Day template posted in this thread which may be of interest to you, but there are plenty of other good options out there as well. My advice would be to choose a program that is written by someone reputable, and then I can help you to tweak things to meet your specific needs/objectives.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Tom.

I have just purchased a squat rack so I will be working on squats, for now Im going to take your advise and hit high reps.

Thanks again.
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

I have just purchased a squat rack so I will be working on squats, for now Im going to take your advise and hit high reps.

Thanks again.
    I'm pretty sure he was only telling you to hit high reps on your squats because you had no squat rack, and the amount of weight you would be able to get into position to squat with wouldn't be heavy enough to use for squatting with low reps. As a result, you'd have to do higher reps to make it worthwhile.

Now that you have a squat rack, you'll be able to go as heavy as you want and won't need to do higher reps.

Wannabebig New Member
    Tom,

I have been following your 3-day Split you outlined in this post for around 10 weeks now. I'm definitely seeing results. Mainly due to the fact that I haven't lifted for a few years. So I know I am seeing results faster now than I will see them in the future. I have a couple of questions for you, though.

1. Did you get better results from the 3-day split or the HCT-12 routine that you did recently?

2. Are close grip BB presses or dips better for tricep work when doing the HCT-12 routine? I read before where you stated close grips presses are better for improving your flat BB press. Just curious which one is the best since you only do one tricep exercise on HCT-12, per 4 week period before deload.

My goals are to get bigger, but I understand that getting stronger yeilds getting bigger. So a strength/size mix is what I was looking for in a program.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

Erik

Tom, I haven't read the whole thread and apologize if it's in here.

I was curious as to how you got into strongman training and competition. Did you start out with roots in general weightlifting or in powerlifting or was strongman an aspiration from the beginning?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Hey Tom.

I am interested in purchasing some Rehband knee sleeves. I measured my knee where the Jackal site said to and I measured in the 33-34 range. I don't plan on getting any smaller, and I sure plan on getting bigger, so would I be better off ordering the Mediums, which measure in the 33-36 cm range, or the Smalls, which go from 30-33 cm?

Thanks for your help as always.

GETLEAN
    Hey Tom, would you be able to create a crossfit/fullbody routine where the WOD would be monday, im very confused what i would have for Wednesday workout, My friday work out goes like this...

Incline bench 4x12x10x8x8
    squat 5x5
    military press 5x6
    Tbar row 4x12x10x8x8
    curls 3x10
    close grip bench 3x12

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    What knee wraps would you recommend?
    Mike,

I do not compete in powerlifting so I do not have too much experience with knee wraps. The only pair that I own are the APT ZRV-Pro wraps; I like them but if you are looking for maximum carryover from the equipment then I would go with the APT Convict wraps. Titan and Inzer also make similar knee wraps.

Thanks again.
    The reason that I initially suggested high reps was because you did not have a rack and would have to clean/press the bar into position. I would recommend working in some variation with heavier weights and lower reps if you now have a squat rack and can safely manage heavier weights.

If your ultimate goal is to compete in strongman you may want to try some of the programs in this article:

Creating an Effective Strongman Routine - Tom Mutaffis

Please let me know if you are looking for something different.
    Hi, Tom, sorry for not replying sooner.

I'd like to compete in Strongman this summer (middle of June).

The events are:

Log Lift - 3 attempts (each 60s) for max weight

Car DL - 60s, as many reps as possible lifting a VW Touran (all I know is that a Touran weighs around 1600kg/3520lb)

50kg/110lb Circus DB - 60s, for reps

Walk medley - frame (260kg/572lb) yoke (280kg/616lb) farmer's (2x120kg/265lb), 15m with each in under 90s total

Power stairs - 5x40cm/16inch steps with 140kg/308lb, 160kg/352lb and 180kg/396lb

(In that order). As far as I know, there won't be any weight classes, it's only being split up along newcomer and non-newcomer lines.

Would the programs you provided in the article be suitable for those events - I ask because the link doesn't work anymore?

Thanks a million!
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Quote Originally Posted by masonea View Post
    Tom,

I have been following your 3-day Split you outlined in this post for around 10 weeks now. I'm definitely seeing results. Mainly due to the fact that I haven't lifted for a few years. So I know I am seeing results faster now than I will see them in the future. I have a couple of questions for you, though.

1. Did you get better results from the 3-day split or the HCT-12 routine that you did recently?

2. Are close grip BB presses or dips better for tricep work when doing the HCT-12 routine? I read before where you stated close grips presses are better for improving your flat BB press. Just curious which one is the best since you only do one tricep exercise on HCT-12, per 4 week period before deload.

My goals are to get bigger, but I understand that getting stronger yeilds getting bigger. So a strength/size mix is what I was looking for in a program.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

Erik
    Erik,

The 3-day split is a program that I designed for someone else, the workouts are similar to how I break down my training but I have not followed that exact routine in the past for any notable period of time. With HCT-12 I went through one 'phase' and believe that it is a good program. The difference between the two would be that the 3-day program allows for more recovery due to lower frequency (training each muscle group 1X/week versus every 3rd or 4th day).

I am not sure what the context was where I recommended Close Grip Bench Press over Dips, but I would suggest Weighted Dips for increasing pressing power (as long as you are able to do them). For HCT-12 I would especially recommend the Dips because you can include Flat Bench Press or Incline Bench Press in the upper body workouts and so Close-Grip would be redundant.

You are correct that there is some correlation between strength and size, and I would say that an effective program should have a combination of the following:

- Intensity
    - Volume
    - Recovery

Which program works best for you will depend on your lifestyle, genetics, experience level, and commitment. Most individuals will go through a period of trial and error to find what works for them - then make changes to that program as necessary to break past plateaus or to keep things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Tom, I haven't read the whole thread and apologize if it's in here.

I was curious as to how you got into strongman training and competition. Did you start out with roots in general weightlifting or in powerlifting or was strongman an aspiration from the beginning?
    I don't know that I have ever really posted my 'story' anywhere.

Basically started out weight training when I was around 12-13 years old because my Dad had some dumbbells in the house and I had picked up a muscle magazine or read something online. I enjoyed lifting weights and played football at the time which lead me into the weight room. I quickly realized that I enjoyed training more than football and stopped playing to focus directly on becoming bigger and stronger. My training would best be defined as "power-building" - I wanted to be big, lean, and strong.

After about five years of consistent training I had made significant gains and looked at potentially pursuing bodybuilding, but never actually stepped on stage. I stopped training for a bit and then when I came back to the gym after a year or two I ran into some friends who were into powerlifting. I still focused on simply becoming more muscular and stronger then one of them told me about a strongman contest and said that I would probably do well. I entered the contest with no prior event training and no idea what to expect, and after that was hooked. My first (and only) powerlifting meet was about 18 months later and I did it just for fun but sustained an injury during training and was only able to deadlift.

So to sum it up I basically just went to the gym because I wanted to be big and strong, but never focused on strongman or powerlifting prior to getting in to the sport. After my first strongman contest I started training events on a regular basis and my gym training took a back seat, but I still try to maintain a balance between aesthetics and performance.

I could write more, maybe I will put it together in article format some time since I think that the programs that I followed and how I initially made my progress in the gym could be beneficial to others.

Wannabebig New Member
    Erik,

The 3-day split is a program that I designed for someone else, the workouts are similar to how I break down my training but I have not followed that exact routine in the past for any notable period of time. With HCT-12 I went through one 'phase' and believe that it is a good program. The difference between the two would be that the 3-day program allows for more recovery due to lower frequency (training each muscle group 1X/week versus every 3rd or 4th day).

I am not sure what the context was where I recommended Close Grip Bench Press over Dips, but I would suggest Weighted Dips for increasing pressing power (as long as you are able to do them). For HCT-12 I would especially recommend the Dips because you can include Flat Bench Press or Incline Bench Press in the upper body workouts and so Close-Grip would be redundant.

You are correct that there is some correlation between strength and size, and I would say that an effective program should have a combination of the following:

- Intensity
    - Volume
    - Recovery

Which program works best for you will depend on your lifestyle, genetics, experience level, and commitment. Most individuals will go through a period of trial and error to find what works for them - then make changes to that program as necessary to break past plateaus or to keep things interesting.
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I could have been mistaken about the Close Grip Bench remark. I think I am going to give the HCT-12 program a go. The past two weeks I have incorporated it into my first exercise of the 3 day split you wrote up. Albeit, that is possibly too much volume per workout. But I have seen improvements in my numbers, and I feel great afterward. Weighted Dips it is! Thanks again for all of your advice. Keep up the good work.

Erik

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,
    I remember in a post from you a while back, speaking of two separate kinds of grips. One of them was a "Crushing Grip" and the other was a "Supporting Grip". Can you explain to me what's the difference between each grip? Also, which exercises/training methods are great for building up, each of those grips. Thanks.
    Name: Adrian
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 142 lbs

Goal: To be 175-180 lbs @ 10% body fat.

If at first you don't succeed, YOU WERE TAUGHT BY LOSERS!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Hey Tom.

I am interested in purchasing some Rehband knee sleeves. I measured my knee where the Jackal site said to and I measured in the 33-34 range. I don't plan on getting any smaller, and I sure plan on getting bigger, so would I be better off ordering the Mediums, which measure in the 33-36 cm range, or the Smalls, which go from 30-33 cm?

Thanks for your help as always.
    I would go with the size Medium, the sleeves should still be snug but you will not have to worry about them being too tight or eventually growing out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzell84 View Post
    Hey Tom, would you be able to create a crossfit/fullbody routine where the WOD would be monday, im very confused what i would have for Wednesday workout, My friday work out goes like this...

Incline bench 4x12x10x8x8
    squat 5x5
    military press 5x6
    Tbar row 4x12x10x8x8
    curls 3x10
    close grip bench 3x12
    Are you looking for a conditioning workout or just a full-body training routine? Also, have you considered an Upper/Lower split rather than full-body? The upper/lower enables you to train with a bit more intensity/volume because you have more time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by [R_H] View Post
    Hi, Tom, sorry for not replying sooner.

I'd like to compete in Strongman this summer (middle of June).

The events are:

Log Lift - 3 attempts (each 60s) for max weight

Car DL - 60s, as many reps as possible lifting a VW Touran (all I know is that a Touran weighs around 1600kg/3520lb)

50kg/110lb Circus DB - 60s, for reps

Walk medley - frame (260kg/572lb) yoke (280kg/616lb) farmer's (2x120kg/265lb), 15m with each in under 90s total

Power stairs - 5x40cm/16inch steps with 140kg/308lb, 160kg/352lb and 180kg/396lb

(In that order). As far as I know, there won't be any weight classes, it's only being split up along newcomer and non-newcomer lines.

Would the programs you provided in the article be suitable for those events - I ask because the link doesn't work anymore?

Thanks a million!
    Here is a working link for the article:

http://totalphysiqueonline.com/2009/...ining-routine/

I would focus your event training on the moving events, and then include the log/dumbell work with one of your gym training assuming that you have access to the implements.

For the car deadlift there are a couple of different ways to train it but it is basically a side-handle squat lift. If you have a hammer strength deadlift machine that is one way, or you can do some trap bar/farmers handle deadlifts as an alternative.

If you would like I can put together something more specific for you, just let me know what implements you have access to and how many days per week you can make it to the gym.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 02-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Here is a working link for the article:

http://totalphysiqueonline.com/2009/...ining-routine/

I would focus your event training on the moving events, and then include the log/dumbell work with one of your gym training assuming that you have access to the implements.

For the car deadlift there are a couple of different ways to train it but it is basically a side-handle squat lift. If you have a hammer strength deadlift machine that is one way, or you can do some trap bar/farmers handle deadlifts as an alternative.

If you would like I can put together something more specific for you, just let me know what implements you have access to and how many days per week you can make it to the gym.
    Hi Tom, thanks for replying.

I did a Strongman Volume workout yesterday, and I really noticed that I need to get the technique down, especially the Farmer's and Yoke.

I have access to a yoke, farmer's walk handles, a trap bar and once it's repaired, a log, and occaisionally I'll be able to train with stones. I think the gym is getting circus DBs too. There aren't any machines though.

How often would you suggest doing trapbar/farmer's handle deadlifts?

Once school starts again, I'll only be able to train twice during the week (one of those sessions in the school's weight room), but as far as I can tell only towards the end of the week, and twice on the weekend.

I'm thinking of doing 5/3/1 (starting tomorrow actually).

What do you think of the following?:

Wed - 5/3/1 (school gym), DB work
    Thu - rest, flexibility
    Fri - 5/3/1
    Sat - active recovery (walking and/or light sled work)
    Sun - cycle through Strongman Volume/Power/Strength
    Mon - rest, flexibility
    Tues - rest, flexibility

For 5/3/1 I was thinking front squat, push press, deadlift and maybe back squat. Not quite sure what to do for assistance work, I'm leaning towards Boring But Big.

Thanks!
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Wannabebig New Member
    Hi Tom!

After reading the whole thread I decided to register and ask you something, because I think that you have a lot of knowledge of strongman.

My stats:

180 cm
    80 kg
    arm span = 190 cm

Push Press: 80 kg
    High Bar Squat: 120 kg
    Deadlift: 160 kg
    Farmer Deadlift: 90 kg + 90 kg

It is my intention to compete in strongman newcomer cups in Germany. The only thing I need is a good routine.

I analyzed the newcomer cups from 2008 to 2010 and the following lifts are the most common:

Atlas Stones
    Farmer Walk
    Keg Carry onto 120 cm + Sandbag Carry onto 120 cm
    Log Lift
    Tire Flip
    Yoke Carry

At the moment I am only able to lift in my low ceiling basement with my power rack. I have a few exercises in my mind:

Incline Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench Press

Hammer Curl
    Barbell Curl

Deadlift
    Farmer Deadlift
    Farmer Hold
    Sit-Up

Zercher Squat
    High Bar Squat
    Calf Raise

Bent-Over Row
    Continental Clean

Front Hold
    Crucifix Hold

I was opting for three different training days.

Please explain how you choose the rep range. I thought about 3x3 and 5x5 for sets across, but then again I also thought about 3-5 sets of 20 reps for calf raise for walking events.

What is better? Sets across or sets with decreasing weight and remaining reps?

Thank you for taking your time, Tom.
    Last edited by Tenacity; 03-26-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Hi Tom!

After reading the whole thread I decided to register and ask you something, because I think that you have a lot of knowledge of strongman.

My stats:

180 cm
    80 kg
    arm span = 190 cm

Push Press: 80 kg
    High Bar Squat: 120 kg
    Deadlift: 160 kg
    Farmer Deadlift: 90 kg + 90 kg

It is my intention to compete in strongman newcomer cups in Germany. The only thing I need is a good routine.

I analyzed the newcomer cups from 2008 to 2010 and the following lifts are the most common:

Atlas Stones
    Farmer Walk
    Keg Carry onto 120 cm + Sandbag Carry onto 120 cm
    Log Lift
    Tire Flip
    Yoke Carry

At the moment I am only able to lift in my low ceiling basement with my power rack. I have a few exercises in my mind:

Incline Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench Press

Hammer Curl
    Barbell Curl

Deadlift
    Farmer Deadlift
    Farmer Hold
    Sit-Up

Zercher Squat
    High Bar Squat
    Calf Raise

Bent-Over Row
    Continental Clean

Front Hold
    Crucifix Hold

I was opting for three different training days.

Please explain how you choose the rep range. I thought about 3x3 and 5x5 for sets across, but then again I also thought about 3-5 sets of 20 reps for calf raise for walking events.

What is better? Sets across or sets with decreasing weight and remaining reps?

Thank you for taking your time, Tom.
    Tenacity -

Welcome to the forum, and I would be happy to help you with your training. The gym exercises that I would recommend for strongman are:

- Front Squats
    - Incline Bench Press
    - Deadlift
    - Push Press / Push Jerk
    - Rows / Pull-Up's
    - High Rep Squats (close stance)
    - Hang Cleans
    - Dips
    - Grip Work (timed hang, farmers hold)

If you wanted to break things down into a 4-day split you could do something like this:

Monday:
    - Deadlift or Rack Pull
    - Pull-Up's (weighted if possible)
    - Rows

Tuesday:
    - Push Press or Push Jerk
    - Incline Bench Press
    - Dips
    - Shoulder Work

Wednesday:
    - Rest / Stretching

Thursday:
    - Front Squats
    - Hang Cleans
    - Squats, Box Squats, or Box Jumps (Endurance / Speed Work)
    - Calves

Friday:
    - Grip Work
    - Ab/Low Back
    - Conditioning Work (sled drag, interval training, etc.)
    - Face Pulls

With regard to the rep range I would actually do something a bit different than the standard 3x3 or 5x5. My advice would be to work up to a 2-8 rep max on each primary movement (first movement of the workout). For secondary movements I would go with 2-3 sets of 5-10 reps, and then for isolation or accessory work you can go with 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps. This will allow you to build strength while also getting enough volume to put on size, and without having to worry too much about over-training or burning yourself out.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to discuss anything additional regarding your preparation for the contest or general training/diet/supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by [R_H] View Post
    Hi Tom, thanks for replying.

I did a Strongman Volume workout yesterday, and I really noticed that I need to get the technique down, especially the Farmer's and Yoke.

I have access to a yoke, farmer's walk handles, a trap bar and once it's repaired, a log, and occaisionally I'll be able to train with stones. I think the gym is getting circus DBs too. There aren't any machines though.

How often would you suggest doing trapbar/farmer's handle deadlifts?

Once school starts again, I'll only be able to train twice during the week (one of those sessions in the school's weight room), but as far as I can tell only towards the end of the week, and twice on the weekend.

I'm thinking of doing 5/3/1 (starting tomorrow actually).

What do you think of the following?:

Wed - 5/3/1 (school gym), DB work
    Thu - rest, flexibility
    Fri - 5/3/1
    Sat - active recovery (walking and/or light sled work)
    Sun - cycle through Strongman Volume/Power/Strength
    Mon - rest, flexibility
    Tues - rest, flexibility

For 5/3/1 I was thinking front squat, push press, deadlift and maybe back squat. Not quite sure what to do for assistance work, I'm leaning towards Boring But Big.

Thanks!
    R_H,

You can do Farmers/Trap Bar Deadlift on a weekly basis if you use it as your primary deadlifting movement and have a progression template that will allow for enough recovery (5/3/1 works well for some people).

With regard to your gym training you may want to train Tuesday/Thursday instead of Wednesday/Friday, this would give you an extra day of rest before your strongman workout and one day of rest following your workout should be sufficient as long as the first gym day is an Upper Body day.

I have a couple of modified 5/3/1 spreadsheets that a friend of mine put together and I would be happy to post them here if you would like. They were basically created to accommodate strongman training. Let me know if you would like for me to post them.

Do you have any video of your yoke or farmers walk? I may be able to help you with the technique.

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,
    I have noticed that you are not afraid of implementing more volume, and other bodybuilding techniques to your training. I have been having alot of trouble gaining mass, as well as strength. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use more volume and high rep ranges to grow as compared to low rep, heavy, abbreviated training. If so, can you recommend a routine? also, rule out diet as i have that in order. thank you,
    joe

WoW !!! i'm only up to page 4 on this gem of a thread and already taking down some notes...

I hope Chris hooks you up with a discount cause you're a big asset to this forum! Once I've read through everything in here I'll be asking my own question!
    28yrs old, 6"1
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 186lb | 226lb | 235lb
    Squat: 180lb | 273lb | 360lb
    Dead: 215lb | 319lb | 405lb
    MY LOG ~ 313 DAYS