The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 685
  1. #126
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Tom Ive seen you suggest (in that thread regarding routines that people prefer) that you still believe a split form of training is optimal for BB style-hypertrophy gains. Ive also seen you mention this...

    Any chance you have a rough outline of an old split that you liked using these two thoughts that you might share? I need a change of routine and would certainly like to see anything you might suggest regarding your above methods.

    Thanks again for this informative thread btw!
    Irish Pilot -

    I do not have anything pre-made but I can put something together for you.

    Training Template:

    Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

    Specific Workouts:

    Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

    Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

    Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

    Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

    **I typically perform deadlifts every other week.


    Is this in line with what you are looking for? I do have some old journals from when I was bodybuilding that I can try to dig up, but my basic theme was to hit heavy compound movements with longer rest periods and then move on to isolation movements for higher volume and higher reps with shorter rest periods. This 'hybrid' training method worked well for me.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  2. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    485
    Hey Tom I'm trying step my cardio up but I'm sick of the boring treadmill, what are some good interval routine I could throw in my routine that wont hurt, my current routine looks like this,

    Mom
    Flat chest, 2 exercises
    Upper back

    Tuesday
    Legs

    Wednesday
    Shoulders

    Thursday
    Upper chest
    Back

    Friday
    Arms

  3. #128
    Getting There... Irish Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    779
    Perfect! Thanks for the insight Tom.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

  4. #129
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    Sorry to bother again Tom, or any one else that can answer my question.

    Are knee supports used when heavy squatting?

    I am concerned because I am at 255 right in the squat and I don't feel anything on my knees yet, but I am concerned about when to use knee support things.

    I say this because before I injured my back doing T-rows, a friend of mine who is very experienced told me to get a belt when I got to 2 45lb plates in the T-rows. I got to 3 plates and never used the belt and BAMMMM, I got injured. Maybe the belt would have helped me not get "too" injured.

    Any suggestions? Bad or good? Necessary, not?
    There is no 'magic number' in terms of deciding when you need support equipment, but usually more experienced trainees will need them either because of wear and tear or because they are stronger (which places more strain on the joints/tendons).

    I would just make sure that you are performing proper warmups and maintaining your flexibility.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  5. #130
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Hey Tom I'm trying step my cardio up but I'm sick of the boring treadmill, what are some good interval routine I could throw in my routine that wont hurt, my current routine looks like this,

    Mom
    Flat chest, 2 exercises
    Upper back

    Tuesday
    Legs

    Wednesday
    Shoulders

    Thursday
    Upper chest
    Back

    Friday
    Arms

    Al,

    What exercises are you performing on each day?

    I have never seen a split like this, but am sure that we can work something for conditioning into your program.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  6. #131
    Senior Member snikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I am confused by your first statement/question. In my post above I said that you would want to moderate (limit) your fat intake when consuming high amounts of carbohydrates because this causes fat to be stored.
    Oh, I see. I only thought that calories were the king and they were basically the deciders for if you gain fat or not. I didn't know that carbs and fat had much of a role in that. But calories alone have a greater priority in storing fat than carbs/fat do, correct?

    Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it btw.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

  7. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Al,

    What exercises are you performing on each day?

    I have never seen a split like this, but am sure that we can work something for conditioning into your program.
    Monday
    Flat barbell 5x5
    Flat db 3x8

    Then Chris's back program

    Tuesday
    Squats 5x5
    Lunges 3x8
    Leg extension 2x12
    Leg curl 2x12

    Wednesday
    db military press 5x5
    Neutral grip machine press 3x8
    Laterals 3x8
    Rope pulls 2x12

    Thursday
    Incline bb press 5x5
    Machine incline press 3x9

    Then Chris back part 2

    Friday
    Light arms

    I get done in about 55 mins.

    Any suggestions? Thanks

  8. #133
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    Oh, I see. I only thought that calories were the king and they were basically the deciders for if you gain fat or not. I didn't know that carbs and fat had much of a role in that. But calories alone have a greater priority in storing fat than carbs/fat do, correct?

    Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it btw.
    Actually, calories will only dictate bodyweight. The quality of that weight is determined by what you are eating - not just how much.

    An individual could be on a low calorie diet and eat nothing but butter; now obviously that is not going to yield an impressive physique. Nutrient timing, glycemic index, types of fats, and quality of protein are all things that need to be considered when putting together an effective diet program.

    If you are simply trying to gain/lose weight then calories would be the only consideration, but you may not be pleased with the results. This is why many people who "bulk" or "cut" end up dissatisfied with the outcome of their program. This is also why your numbers on the scale really don't matter much unless you are an athlete in a sport that has weight classes or perhaps involved in a sport where mass is a key factor (football lineman, sumo wrestler, etc.). Even those individuals need to be considerate of their body composition and athleticism.

    Let me know if you would like to go over your specific program to see if there are any ways that we can tweak things.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  9. #134
    Senior Member Shemz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    My biceps seem to be stuck in an unending plateau..they seem to grow a bit in mass but strenghtwise it's been the same for months now..i've tried almost everything..5x5, 4x8, giant sets, super sets, .. you name it..you can easily notice my back, shoulder, triceps or leg gaines but my biceps..it's really weird

  10. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    86
    tom, i injured my biceps tendon, nothing major, just a bit of a strain i think, as a result iv stopped lifting for about a month now, but i wanna get back in the gym, how can i work around it?

  11. #136
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Monday
    Flat barbell 5x5
    Flat db 3x8

    Then Chris's back program

    Tuesday
    Squats 5x5
    Lunges 3x8
    Leg extension 2x12
    Leg curl 2x12

    Wednesday
    db military press 5x5
    Neutral grip machine press 3x8
    Laterals 3x8
    Rope pulls 2x12

    Thursday
    Incline bb press 5x5
    Machine incline press 3x9

    Then Chris back part 2

    Friday
    Light arms

    I get done in about 55 mins.

    Any suggestions? Thanks
    Your routine seems to have a lot of pressing/triceps work. How has it worked for you so far?

    In terms of conditioning I would say that any type of plyometric or GPP circuit could work well for you. Barbell complexes are good but with the amount of training in your current program there is a good chance that you could end up overtraining.

    Do you have access to a sled? How are you with jumping rope or box jumps?

    Thursday or Friday would be the days where I would add in the GPP work, most likely Friday since that is probably one of your lower intensity workouts and gives your legs three days to rest after squatting.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 11-22-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  12. #137
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    My biceps seem to be stuck in an unending plateau..they seem to grow a bit in mass but strenghtwise it's been the same for months now..i've tried almost everything..5x5, 4x8, giant sets, super sets, .. you name it..you can easily notice my back, shoulder, triceps or leg gaines but my biceps..it's really weird
    Biceps are a small muscle group and they are similar to many other groups in that your gains as an intermediate lifter will likely be a lesser percentage than the gains made as a beginner.

    For instance someone putting 10% on their bench press 5RM could mean 20 lbs, but putting 10% on your curl 5RM might be 7-8 lbs for the same lifter. Unless you are using 2 1/2 lbs plates you would not even notice the strength increase other than perhaps being able to perform an additional rep with your 5RM (meaning that a 10% gain - which would be considered substantial may not ultimately be very noticable).

    Because biceps are a smaller muscle group they are commonly overtrained. A lot of guys want big biceps and think that more is better, when some of the best gains come from 4-6 total sets per week for biceps. You can incorporate advanced principals such as drop sets or supersets, but when coupled with heavy back training it is easy to overtrain biceps.

    Another thing to consider is that in many cases smaller muscle groups can respond better to higher volume and lower intensity. Things like GVT training sessions or giant sets (running the rack) have worked well for me in the past for my biceps and deltoids.

    My advice would be to try some different workouts, moderate your overall volume, and seperate your biceps day from your back day by at least two days.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  13. #138
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Banger View Post
    tom, i injured my biceps tendon, nothing major, just a bit of a strain i think, as a result iv stopped lifting for about a month now, but i wanna get back in the gym, how can i work around it?
    Mr Banger -

    I have done the same thing (biceps strain), actually fairly recently. There are a few things that you can do to rehab the biceps, and then also plenty of exercises that you can still perform.

    You should be able to resume most of your lower body training but may have to modify a couple of exercises (and obviously stay away from deadlifting for a bit). Pressing work also comes back pretty quickly as long as you make sure to warm up effectively.

    In terms of protection / rehab I would do the following:
    - Ice
    - Light curls with band tension (very high reps - pump)
    - Stretching (wrists/forearms/biceps)
    - Massage / ART
    - Neoprene or Cloth sleeve
    - Muscle Rub to warm up.

    Depending on the severity of the strain it can heal in a anywhere from a couple of weeks to perhaps a month. The more active that you stay in the meantime and the better that you keep to your diet the better your gains will be maintained. During periods of injury I have always maintained a high protein diet and stayed active with cardio / light training which helps me to bounce back more quickly.

    If the muscle was torn (disfigured / bruising) then you want to see a doctor immediately since there is a limited window of time when they can re-attach the tendon.

    Hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you want to talk about your training or warmups/etc. in more detail.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  14. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Your routine seems to have a lot of pressing/triceps work. How has it worked for you so far?

    In terms of conditioning I would say that any type of plyometric or GPP circuit could work well for you. Barbell complexes are good but with the amount of training in your current program there is a good chance that you could end up overtraining.

    Do you have access to a sled? How are you with jumping rope or box jumps?

    Thursday or Friday would be the days where I would add in the GPP work, most likely Friday since that is probably one of your lower intensity workouts and gives your legs three days to rest after squatting.
    Well I been on it for about 3 week and I been cutting, all my lifts been the same, I wanna keep to a bodybuilding program, could u make me up a program that involves the condition work and a bodybuilding program, I like to keep my compounds around 6Rep, thanks, I have no sled

  15. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    86
    thanks tom

  16. #141
    Senior Member Shemz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Biceps are a small muscle group and they are similar to many other groups in that your gains as an intermediate lifter will likely be a lesser percentage than the gains made as a beginner.

    For instance someone putting 10% on their bench press 5RM could mean 20 lbs, but putting 10% on your curl 5RM might be 7-8 lbs for the same lifter. Unless you are using 2 1/2 lbs plates you would not even notice the strength increase other than perhaps being able to perform an additional rep with your 5RM (meaning that a 10% gain - which would be considered substantial may not ultimately be very noticable).

    Because biceps are a smaller muscle group they are commonly overtrained. A lot of guys want big biceps and think that more is better, when some of the best gains come from 4-6 total sets per week for biceps. You can incorporate advanced principals such as drop sets or supersets, but when coupled with heavy back training it is easy to overtrain biceps.

    Another thing to consider is that in many cases smaller muscle groups can respond better to higher volume and lower intensity. Things like GVT training sessions or giant sets (running the rack) have worked well for me in the past for my biceps and deltoids.

    My advice would be to try some different workouts, moderate your overall volume, and seperate your biceps day from your back day by at least two days.
    I do perform bicep exercises after are heavy back training. So what would be best? Lets say for example i do one warm-up set for my biceps then 2x curls, 2x cc curls and 2x hammer curls? or do one giant set for each?

    and i'm not one of those bicep guys <3 back; but don't want my arms to fall behind tho and maybe i have to add that after my back training i don't have THAT much strenght left to perform my bicep exercises
    Last edited by Shemz; 11-23-2009 at 10:02 AM.

  17. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Thanks a lot Tom!
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)


    "I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

  18. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    374
    Tom...you said seperate back and bi's by at least 2 days. I know many people that stick to the old "chest and tri, back and bi's, legs and shoulders" routine. Would you advise against that? Thanks

  19. #144
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Well I been on it for about 3 week and I been cutting, all my lifts been the same, I wanna keep to a bodybuilding program, could u make me up a program that involves the condition work and a bodybuilding program, I like to keep my compounds around 6Rep, thanks, I have no sled
    Al,

    Typically I recommend training a bodypart twice per week for novice bodybuilders or strength athletes. For an intermediate bodybuilder I would typically go with a 4-Day split like the one listed above in this thread.

    It sounds like you have a number of goals (cutting, bodybuilding, strength maintenance, conditioning).

    Here is what I would do with your current program:

    Al's Hybrid Training Split:

    Monday:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press, (3) Sets of 5
    - Incline DB Press, (3) sets of 8
    - Chris Mason's Back Training Program

    Tuesday:
    - Barbell Squats, (5) sets of 5
    - Standing Lunges, (2) sets of 8
    - SLDL, (2) sets of 8
    - Leg Training Complexes
    Complex 1: Walking DB Lunges, Hack Squat, Leg Extension [2 sets / high reps]
    Complex 2: High Foot Placement Leg Press, Laying Leg Curls, Seated Leg Curls [2 sets / high reps]

    Wednesday:
    - Cardio Circuit (This can include interval training, plyometrics, etc.)

    Thursday:
    - Chris Mason Back Workout Part 2
    - Face Pulls (Rope), 2-3 sets of 10+ reps

    Friday:
    - DB Military Press, (3) sets of 5
    - Incline Barbell Press / Machine Incline [Superset], (2) sets of 10
    - Arm & Shoulder Complexes
    Complex 1: Barbell Curl / Overhead DB Extension / Hammer Curl / Pushdown
    Complex 2: Front / Side / Rear laterals [3 sets on each complex, 10-12 reps per exercise]

    *Do not rest between movements in the complex. Use a relatively light weight but keep good form and challenge yourself. I would shoot for 10+ reps on each exercise and you can rest between complex one and complex two but you should try to limit your rest period to simply catching your breath and letting your heart rate normalize a bit. The complexes should be a brutal 10 minute 'finisher' for your leg training.


    I tried to keep this program as close to your original template as I could in terms of exercises and training frequency for each bodypart. My additions include complexes on your leg training day and arm/shoulder day as well as a cardio/conditioning day in the middle of the week (plyometrics, etc.).

    Hopefully this is along the lines of what you are looking for. Let me know what you think and we can tweak the program from there.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  20. #145
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    I do perform bicep exercises after are heavy back training. So what would be best? Lets say for example i do one warm-up set for my biceps then 2x curls, 2x cc curls and 2x hammer curls? or do one giant set for each?

    and i'm not one of those bicep guys <3 back; but don't want my arms to fall behind tho and maybe i have to add that after my back training i don't have THAT much strenght left to perform my bicep exercises
    I wouldn't worry about what kind of weights you are handling since you are only adding in a little bit of extra direct work for volume/hypertrophy.

    What I would do is warmup and then start off with either alternating DB curls or barbell curls (relatively heavy) for two sets. From there I would go to an isolation movement such as concetration curls, preacher curls, or machine curls for another 2 sets (supersets can be used here as well). To finish off you can 'run the rack' switching off between alternating DB curls and hammer curls and making 10 lbs jumps initially and then 5 lbs jumps as you tire.

    Here is a basic template for the workout:

    Biceps Training:
    - Barbell Curls, (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Machine Preacher Curls, (2) sets of 10 reps
    - Biceps "Finisher" - (1) set, Giant Set

    This is the 'Finisher':

    Biceps "Finisher": (No rest between sets)
    50's x 5 Each Arm - Alternating DB Curl
    45's x 5 Each Arm - Alternating Hammer Curl
    40's x 5 Each Arm - Alternating DB Curl
    30's x 5-10 Each Arm - Alternating Hammer Curl
    25's x 5-10 Each arm - Alternating DB Curl
    15's x 10 Each Arm - Alternating Hammer Curl, rest a few seconds and try to hit 10 reps on Alternating DB curl.

    A program like this will leave you with a good 'pump'. More importantly; the amount of volume, intensity, time under tension, and variation should lead to some great biceps development.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  21. #146
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by BCorn View Post
    Tom...you said seperate back and bi's by at least 2 days. I know many people that stick to the old "chest and tri, back and bi's, legs and shoulders" routine. Would you advise against that? Thanks
    The only time that you need to seperate your Back and Biceps days with two days of rest is when you are training both on seperate days. This is because your biceps are worked (directly or indirectly) on both days and training them on back to back days would not give you an optimal workout and could lead to overtraining/injury.

    Here is a routine from earlier in this thread that I put together for a gentleman who was looking for a comprehensive three day split. It is similar to the split that you mentioned.

    3-Day Split:

    Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

    Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

    Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  22. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Al,

    Typically I recommend training a bodypart twice per week for novice bodybuilders or strength athletes. For an intermediate bodybuilder I would typically go with a 4-Day split like the one listed above in this thread.

    It sounds like you have a number of goals (cutting, bodybuilding, strength maintenance, conditioning).

    Here is what I would do with your current program:

    Al's Hybrid Training Split:

    Monday:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press, (3) Sets of 5
    - Incline DB Press, (3) sets of 8
    - Chris Mason's Back Training Program

    Tuesday:
    - Barbell Squats, (5) sets of 5
    - Standing Lunges, (2) sets of 8
    - SLDL, (2) sets of 8
    - Leg Training Complexes
    Complex 1: Walking DB Lunges, Hack Squat, Leg Extension [2 sets / high reps]
    Complex 2: High Foot Placement Leg Press, Laying Leg Curls, Seated Leg Curls [2 sets / high reps]

    Wednesday:
    - Cardio Circuit (This can include interval training, plyometrics, etc.)

    Thursday:
    - Chris Mason Back Workout Part 2
    - Face Pulls (Rope), 2-3 sets of 10+ reps

    Friday:
    - DB Military Press, (3) sets of 5
    - Incline Barbell Press / Machine Incline [Superset], (2) sets of 10
    - Arm & Shoulder Complexes
    Complex 1: Barbell Curl / Overhead DB Extension / Hammer Curl / Pushdown
    Complex 2: Front / Side / Rear laterals [3 sets on each complex, 10-12 reps per exercise]

    *Do not rest between movements in the complex. Use a relatively light weight but keep good form and challenge yourself. I would shoot for 10+ reps on each exercise and you can rest between complex one and complex two but you should try to limit your rest period to simply catching your breath and letting your heart rate normalize a bit. The complexes should be a brutal 10 minute 'finisher' for your leg training.


    I tried to keep this program as close to your original template as I could in terms of exercises and training frequency for each bodypart. My additions include complexes on your leg training day and arm/shoulder day as well as a cardio/conditioning day in the middle of the week (plyometrics, etc.).

    Hopefully this is along the lines of what you are looking for. Let me know what you think and we can tweak the program from there.
    Hey thanks a lot Tom, I really appreciate it, the complex's I don't rest until I'm done number one right? And Friday I superset the 2chest exercises? And sorry one more thing wat would be good for Wednesday circuit.(since I'm cutting now will I overtrain with this )Thanks Tom again
    Last edited by Al19067; 11-23-2009 at 08:49 PM.

  23. #148
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Hey thanks a lot Tom, I really appreciate it, the complex's I don't rest until I'm done number one right? And Friday I superset the 2chest exercises? And sorry one more thing wat would be good for Wednesday circuit.(since I'm cutting now will I overtrain with this )Thanks Tom again
    With regard to the complexes you do not rest between exercises. Each 'complex' is meant to be treated as one set.

    For your chest training on Friday you do perform a superset. If you wanted to work in some heavier weights you could do so on the first movement of the superset and then use a light weight for the second movement; or moderate weights for both (personal preference).

    Wednesday's Conditioning Circuit:
    - Rower / Stair Master / Elliptical for (2) minutes
    - Jump Rope for 75 revolutions (2) minutes
    - Box Jump for 20 repetitions (1 minute)
    **Rest for (2-3 minutes), then repeat for 3-4 total circuits.

    As you become more proficient you can boost the numbers on the jump rope and box jumps. I would shoot for 100 and 25 reps respectively on those two but you do not want your total circuit to go much over 5 minutes in duration. The concept rower is a great piece of equipment and you could do 500 meters concept rower as your first movement in the circuit. If you do not have one then a stairclimber is the next best option or the elliptical if you are looking for something lower intensity. The box jumps can be done onto a regular flat bench.

    In terms of applying this program while on a restricted calorie or restricted nutrient diet I would just be sure to keep your intensity manageable. As long as you do not push to make drastic strength gains during periods of drastic dieting you should be fine. The key here is 'slow and steady' - if you can maintain your current muscle and strength while improving your body composition then you are on the right track. From there you can always begin to build strength once you have reached your desired bodyweight/body composition. Personally I have found that eating near your maintenance level of calories (no less than -500) is ideal for maintaining muscle and losing bodyfat, with the type of foods that you are eating and nutrient timing both being important factors.

    Hopefully this answers your questions. Definitely let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss or evaluate.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  24. #149
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60

    Thanksgiving Holiday - Thread Temporarily Closed

    I am going to temporarily close this thread as I will be traveling and will be without internet access for the next five days.

    Once I return on Monday 11/30 the thread will be re-opened. We have had some great topics so far and I am looking forward to new questions and discussions.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  25. #150
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    I am back from vacation now and have re-opened the thread.

    Hopefully everyone had a great holiday and I look forward to continuing the discussion here.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Similar Threads

  1. Utilizing Gym Complexes for Power & Conditioning by Tom Mutaffis
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
  2. New Sponsor - Tom Mutaffis
    By Joe Black in forum AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
  3. New Sponsor - Tom Mutaffis
    By Joe Black in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 04:17 AM
  4. The best damn article ever written. (Possible Repost.)
    By Clifford Gillmore in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
  5. I need your help and motivation...BADLY!
    By Superman250 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •