Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Hi Tom, well ive been lifting for almost 2 years now and have had good size/strength gains. Anyways ive recently joined the Marines and leave for boot on June 7th. I want to get into great cardio shape for this but still keep all my strength and most of my size. Ive put together a routine for myself based on my situation, i would really appreciate ANY critiques or suggestions that you may have...thanks a lot.

Sunday Back/Abs
    Deadlift 4 sets (8,6,4,2)
    Chins (or lat pull) 4 sets
    Machine Rows - 4x6-10
    Shrugs 1 x failure
    Ab Machine 2x15
    Lying Leg Raises 2 x failure

Monday Chest/Triceps
    Flat Barbell Bench 4x6
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8
    Dips 3 x failure
    Machine Decline Press 3x6-8
    Skull Crushers 3x8
    Tricep Pushdown 2x8
    *3 mile run later that night

Tuesday Out of gym
    Intense swimming and miscellaneous ab work

Wednesday Legs
    Squats 5x5
    Calf Raises 3x12
    Straight Legged DL 3x6
    Lying Hamstring Pulls 3x8
    Leg Extensions(quads) 2x6-8

Thursday Shoulders/Biceps/Abs
    Dumbbell OH Press 4x6-8
    Reverse Pec Deck- 3x8
    Front Raises 3x12
    Barbell Curls 4x8
    Hammer Curls 3x10
    *Repeat abs like Sunday
    *Intense swimming

Friday Out of gym
    5 mile run

Saturday Out of gym
    3 mile run and intense swimming
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Hey Tom I've got a west side question for you.

I'm new to westside and currently my dynamic effort lower body looks like this

Weighted Box Jumps 1-3 reps 5-8 sets

Unilateral Movement
    I either do Bulgarian split squat or Step-ups 8-10 repsx3

Hip Extension Exercise 8-12 reps

I do kettlebell Swings or Pullthroughs

Does that look ok for DE lower body or would I benefit more from something else? My goals are increase the big 3.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by 03mach421 View Post
    Hi Tom, well ive been lifting for almost 2 years now and have had good size/strength gains. Anyways ive recently joined the Marines and leave for boot on June 7th. I want to get into great cardio shape for this but still keep all my strength and most of my size. Ive put together a routine for myself based on my situation, i would really appreciate ANY critiques or suggestions that you may have...thanks a lot.
    As you know it can be tough to maintain muscle mass / strength while doing a lot of high intensity cardio, but with the amount of time that you have you should be fine. The main thing to be careful of is overtraining or not having the proper nutrition, since diet is going to be a very important factor.

What are you currently doing in terms of diet/supplements?

Here are my recommendations on training (keeping things as close as possible to the program that you posted).

Sunday: (Pulling)
    Deadlift (Alternating weekly between Rack, Deficit, Standard) / 3x3
    Chins / 5 Sets (or as many as it takes to get to 50 reps)
    Machine Rows & Close Grip Pulldown Superset / 2 Sets
    One-Arm DB Rows / 2 Sets, High Reps
    Ab Machine & Leg Raise Superset / 2 Sets, High Reps

Monday: (Pressing)
    Flat Barbell Bench / 4 Sets of 6
    Incline Dumbbell Press / 2 Sets of 8
    Dips / 2 Sets, Max Reps
    Decline Flyes / 2 Sets
    Skull Crushers or Overhead Barbell Extension / 2 sets
    Triceps Pushdown / 1 set of 100 reps
    Pushups / 3 Sets of Max Reps in 60 Seconds

Cardio: (Second Session)
    1 Mile Run (timed) followed by interval Sprints for 1 Mile. Plyometrics or Jump Rope Optional.

Tuesday: (Cardio)
    Intense Swimming (20 Minutes)
    *Finish with 10-15 minutes of Stretching.

Wednesday: (Legs)
    Squats / 5x5 (Close Stance)
    SLDL / 3 Sets
    Leg Curl & Leg Extension Superset / 2 Sets
    Calf Raises / 3 Sets (High Reps)

Cardio: (At end of workout)
    Exercise Bicycle / High Intesity, 10 Minutes

Thursday: (Shoulders & Biceps)
    Seated DB Military Press / 4 Sets of 6-8 Reps
    Lateral Raise & Front Raise Superset / 2-3 Sets of 10 Reps Each
    Reverse Pec Deck or Face Pulls / 3 Sets of 12
    Barbell Curls / 2 Sets of 6-8 Reps
    Hammer Curls / 2 Sets of 10 Reps
    Concentration Curls / 2 Sets of 8-12 Reps

Cardio:
    Abs / (3) sets of Max Crunches in 60 Seconds
    Pushups / (2) sets of Max Pushups in 60 Seconds
    Intense Swimming / 10-15 minutes

Friday: (Cardiovascular Training)
    3 Mile Run or 5 Mile Cycling / Timed, for Speed
    Additional 2 Mile Jog (Following a short rest period)

Saturday: (Active Recovery)
    45 Minutes of Walking or 20 Minutes Swimming
    *Finish with 10-15 minutes of Stretching

This program would offer plenty of recovery, a combination of low intensity and high intensity cardiovascular training, and plenty of strength work. I changed out some of the exercises and also added in some bodyweight movements since that is what you will be tested on in the military and that is what will benefit you the most during your service. Being able to bench press 300 lbs is nice, but most military tasks would benefit from greater strength endurance rather than 1RM power.

If you have access to a Concept Rower it would be a great alternative to light swimming on your active recovery days. I like to do (5) sets of 500M for time, trying to beat my previous time on each set.

As I mentioned above nutrition is going to be a crucial factor in your success with this program. Hope this helps and let me know if you want to take a look at your diet and supplements.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Hey Tom I've got a west side question for you.

I'm new to westside and currently my dynamic effort lower body looks like this

Weighted Box Jumps 1-3 reps 5-8 sets

Unilateral Movement
    I either do Bulgarian split squat or Step-ups 8-10 repsx3

Hip Extension Exercise 8-12 reps

I do kettlebell Swings or Pullthroughs

Does that look ok for DE lower body or would I benefit more from something else? My goals are increase the big 3.
    Thomas -

I am not a Westside expert so you may want to consult someone like Travis Bell.

In general I do like weighted box jumps and kettlebell work for speed. You may also want to try jump squats or speed box work (bands/chains optional).

Personally I like to do beltless low rep speed box work as an accessory movement. Heavy abdominal and low back work is also helpful in boosting your big three.

Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Banned
    hey Tom in the condition workout you gave me can i do Medicine ball slams if i wanted to sub something out? if so how many slams? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    hey Tom in the condition workout you gave me can i do Medicine ball slams if i wanted to sub something out? if so how many slams? Thanks
    Sure, you can use whichever movements you prefer. I would start off with 25 slams per set and then you can adjust from there.

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,

2 quick ones.

1.) i've always had difficulty isolating the upper region of the abdominal. any recommendations for good exercises?

2.) i'm about to enter a period of a very high-calorie diet, and a lot of my peers tend to use weight-gain powders as a primary intake of calories. should i toughen it out and eat constantly, or take the easy way out and buy a powder? are there any clear advantages or disadvantages to either?

thanks man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Sure, you can use whichever movements you prefer. I would start off with 25 slams per set and then you can adjust from there.
    Thanks Tom, those complexes been kicking my ass

Wannabebig Member FalconFootball's Avatar
    Hey Tom, so after probably a year and half on my current 3 day split, experimenting with differen't rep schemes and exercises i feel as though im not getting proficient results anymore. I use a variation of days switching between lifting heavy and then the next time i hit that particular muscle group or day in my split i would focus more on hypertrophy, and have had great results up until now. Over the past year i have began to move more in the direction of size and strength more than anything, but recently i feel like i need a little change in my program and thought if anyone could help it would be you. My current program looks something like:

Day 1: Back/Biceps (Heavy)
    Deadlift 5x5
    Bentover DB Rows 3x 8-10
    Latpulldown/or weighted chins 3x 8-10
    Standing Preacher curls 2 x 6-8
    Concentration curls 2x 10
    1 drop set of a variation of hammer curls/alternating db curls (the "finisher" taken from you)

Day 2: Rest (HIIT/core work: KB Swings, Tire flips, skipping, sprints, box jumps)

Day 3: Pressing (Chest/Triceps)
    Flat BB Bench (DB on hypertrophy days) 5x5
    DB Incline Bench (BB on hypertrophy days) 2 drop sets each hitting the 5-8 rep range
    DB Fly's 2x10
    Close grip bench press 3x10
    Skull crushers 3x10

Day 4 Rest/Light conditioning or HIIT

Day 5 Legs/Shoulders
    Front Squat (recently added) 5x5
    Standing Military Press/or Cleans 5x5
    Upright rows 3x10
    Leg Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 1x20, 1 x15, 1x10, 1x8

The next set of training sessions i would usually take out a rest day but still make sure back/bi's were atleast 2 days apart from legs/shoulders and replace the rep scheme of the initial compound movements with something like 4x10. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also i have been struggling most recently with my deadlifts/squats.
    Last edited by FalconFootball; 12-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    5'11
    178 lb
    Grd 12
    BF: 13%

Whatever It Takes

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but aint nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights"- Ronnie Coleman

Tom, earlier on in the thread you were talking to me about how a person could lose fat while staying at the same body weight. Here is where I'm confused.

If you are losing fat, aren't you losing POUNDS of fat that will influence your body weight?

And if you're trying to gain muscle by taking in over maintenance calories, wouldn't gaining a pound of bodyweight each week be from, let's just say, 1/2 pound of muscle and 1/2 pound of fat?

THANKS!
    Last edited by snikez; 12-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    Tom,

2 quick ones.

1.) i've always had difficulty isolating the upper region of the abdominal. any recommendations for good exercises?

2.) i'm about to enter a period of a very high-calorie diet, and a lot of my peers tend to use weight-gain powders as a primary intake of calories. should i toughen it out and eat constantly, or take the easy way out and buy a powder? are there any clear advantages or disadvantages to either?

thanks man.

Adamo -

For abdominal exercises I like to do the following:
    - Rope Crunches (Kneeling, high pulley)
    - High Decline Bench Crunches
    - Swiss Ball Crunches

I have found that for me abdominals respond best to a lot of variation. This includes frequency of training, volume, rep ranges, and exercises. I would try some new movements and remember that if your bodyfat is not low enough all of the ab work in the world will not give you a 'six pack'.

With regard to the 'gainer' shakes, they can be an easy way to meet your caloric needs although you do need to pay attention to the quality of nutrients. Many gainers use lower quality whey concentrate and are basically just a ton of maltodextrin powder; no fiber or healthy fat sources. If shakes are more convenient for you then I would look at a product like Maximus which has flax seed (fat source), fiber, and more than 50 grams of quality protein per serving. You can also take a protein blend like Nitrean and add things like oatmeal or heavy cream to give you a calorie boost.

The main thing with gaining mass is that you want to try to gain as much quality mass as possible, unless you are simply gaining weight for leverage in a sport (sumo wreslter or football lineman). Gaining a ton of fat will not necessarily make you stronger or help you to build any additional muscle; but it will force you to work a lot harder to achieve your desired results if you are looking for a lean muscular physique. I would recommend gaining between 1-1.5 lbs/wk so that you can moderate your fat gain and build solid mass.

Let me know if you want to get into more detail with the shake recipes and I can give you a list with some macronutrient information and specific caloric content.

Hope this helps!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey i was wondering if you could make me a 3-day routine on the equipment i have available. I have a bench,barbell and ez-curl bar with weights to 290lbs, also a pull-up bar that connects to the door. I am a really thin guy only 5'11 135lbs. right now im only benching 110 and deadlift & hacksquat 152.
    Last edited by lolbear; 12-06-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconFootball View Post
    Hey Tom, so after probably a year and half on my current 3 day split, experimenting with differen't rep schemes and exercises i feel as though im not getting proficient results anymore. I use a variation of days switching between lifting heavy and then the next time i hit that particular muscle group or day in my split i would focus more on hypertrophy, and have had great results up until now. Over the past year i have began to move more in the direction of size and strength more than anything, but recently i feel like i need a little change in my program and thought if anyone could help it would be you. My current program looks something like:

Day 1: Back/Biceps (Heavy)
    Deadlift 5x5
    Bentover DB Rows 3x 8-10
    Latpulldown/or weighted chins 3x 8-10
    Standing Preacher curls 2 x 6-8
    Concentration curls 2x 10
    1 drop set of a variation of hammer curls/alternating db curls (the "finisher" taken from you)

Day 2: Rest (HIIT/core work: KB Swings, Tire flips, skipping, sprints, box jumps)

Day 3: Pressing (Chest/Triceps)
    Flat BB Bench (DB on hypertrophy days) 5x5
    DB Incline Bench (BB on hypertrophy days) 2 drop sets each hitting the 5-8 rep range
    DB Fly's 2x10
    Close grip bench press 3x10
    Skull crushers 3x10

Day 4 Rest/Light conditioning or HIIT

Day 5 Legs/Shoulders
    Front Squat (recently added) 5x5
    Standing Military Press/or Cleans 5x5
    Upright rows 3x10
    Leg Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 1x20, 1 x15, 1x10, 1x8

The next set of training sessions i would usually take out a rest day but still make sure back/bi's were atleast 2 days apart from legs/shoulders and replace the rep scheme of the initial compound movements with something like 4x10. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also i have been struggling most recently with my deadlifts/squats.
    Falcon -

What you have been doing sounds like a good protocol (split, dual-progression, etc.) although eventually you will stall with any program.

One thing that I have done which has worked well is to only perform one lower body day per week and alternate between squats/deadlift; doing each every other week.

I would also change up your rep scheme. Although 5x5 is an effective way to balance strength and hypertrophy I would go with a progressive 'max set' protocol (boosting the volume of some of your secondary movements to meet your hypertrophy objectives) or hybrid method.

Here is an example of a 'hybrid' workout:

Pressing Workout:

Flat DB Bench:
    Warmup - 50 lbs x 10, 70 lbs x 5, 95 lbs x 3, 115 lbs x 2, 135 lbs x 2
    Working Set - 150 lbs x 7 / Drop Set / 85 lbs x 10
    Volume Set - 120 lbs x 10

Incline BB Press:
    275 lbs x 5
    225 lbs x 15

DB Flyes:
    2 Sets / 8-12 Reps

Skull Crushers: or JM Press:
    2 Sets / 8-12 Reps

Dips:
    1 Set x Max Reps (BW), Can do 45 lbs weighted if you hit 15+

Pushdowns:
    1 Set (50-100 reps)

I can give an example of the other protocol if this one is not in line with what you are looking for.

Another thing that you can do is potentially move over to a 4-day split which would allow you to focus more on some of your accessory work for the lifts that you want to bring up. For example if I am looking to improve my deadlift then you might do some speed work, front squats, or SLDL on another day and since you are not doing standard deadlifts on that day you will have full energy for the accessory work.

What are you currently doing in terms of diet/supplements? Perhaps we can find some ways to tweak that part of your regimen as well.

Hope this helps!

Wannabebig Member FalconFootball's Avatar
    That looks fantastic! I have also toyed with the idea of a 4 day split but would adding the accessory movements such as SLDLs increase overall strength more effectively than alternating on a 3 day split between deads one week, and squats the next? The trouble im having is arranging which parts of the body to utilize on each day... i would probably stick with Back/bi, Chest/tri and have a day for legs, but what would i pair shoulders with? What would an effective 4 day split look like in your prespective? My diet is really coming together lately and i've become a little more determined in following it. A regular day would look something like :
    Breakfast: Multi-vitamin and 2 Omega 3 capsuls, 3-4 eggs (1-2 yolks) 2 tbs of peanut butter, 2 packages of oatmeal, a piece of fruit and occasionally 1-2 pieces of bread or a whole wheat english muffin

Morning Snack: Protein bar, maybe some fruit, or some almonds

Lunch: 2 sandwiches (80-100g of ham/turkey/roast beef or tuna, lettuce, 2 slices of cheese, cucumber slices), 1-2 pieces of fruit, bottle of gatorade

Mid Afternoon snack: some kind of oatmeal bar

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with meat sauce, some water/milk, salad, and then some sort of fruit for desert

Pre workout: If i am feeling tired i will use some sort of energy supplement, along with 5g creatine mono (if im out of results)

post workout: 500 ml gatorade mixed with glutamine, along with some type of complex carb to try and replenish glycogen stores (usually carrots), and a protein shake (2 scoops nitrean with 2 tbs of peanut butter in milk)

If my workout was fairly early i might ingest another protein shake with 2 scoops of casein protein and 2 capsuls of ETS(when i have some) to last me over night.

Any flaws or areas you can see how i could improve my diet aswell would be greaty appreciated!

Thanks alot Tom!
    Last edited by FalconFootball; 12-06-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    5'11
    178 lb
    Grd 12
    BF: 13%

Whatever It Takes

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but aint nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights"- Ronnie Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    Tom, earlier on in the thread you were talking to me about how a person could lose fat while staying at the same body weight. Here is where I'm confused.

If you are losing fat, aren't you losing POUNDS of fat that will influence your body weight?

And if you're trying to gain muscle by taking in over maintenance calories, wouldn't gaining a pound of bodyweight each week be from, let's just say, 1/2 pound of muscle and 1/2 pound of fat?

THANKS!
    I can see how this might be confusing. Your body weight is determined by your metabolism, activity level, and amount of calories that you consume.

Maintenance calories are a term that is used to define the amount of calories that would be required to maintain bodyweight based on your current body composition (metabolism) and activity level.

3500 Calories is equal to (1) pound. Many people do not realize how difficult it is to actually lose fat or gain lean body mass and simply use the scale as an indicator, which in many cases will reflect changes in water weight. My bodyweight has fluctuated by up to 17 lbs in one day, obviously I was not gaining/losing 17 lbs of muscle or fat (almost 60,000 calories).

One way to improve body composition (bodyfat) would be to eat at your maintenance calorie level but make better food choices and weight train. Weight training breaks down muscle and proper nutrition allows your body to build additional muscle.

In the end, calories determine bodyweight. A 175 lbs man could maintain his bodyweight by eating nothing but candy all day long, while another 175 lbs man could eat a combination of lean meats, whole gains, and protein shakes. I think that it is clear which man will have the more impresseive physique and body composition assuming that they are body following the same training program and have similar lifestyles and genetics.

This is why some people who are 'cutting' make the mistake of only counting calories and end up losing lean mass along with bodyfat. Along the same lines, some individuals who are 'bulking' only look at calories and end up gaining a lot of excess bodyfat.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by lolbear View Post
    Hey i was wondering if you could make me a 3-day routine on the equipment i have available. I have a bench,barbell and ez-curl bar with weights to 290lbs, also a pull-up bar that connects to the door. I am a really thin guy only 5'11 135lbs. right now im only benching 110 and deadlift & hacksquat 152.
    Sorry for the delayed response.

What type of program are you looking for?
    - Strength
    - Hypertrophy
    - Strength Endurance
    - Hybrid Strength / Hypertrophy
    - General Fitness

We can definitely come up with a comprehensive routine that utilizes the equipment that is currently available to you.

Wannabebig Member
    I am looking for a strength program. I play a lot of basketball and am close to dunking so if any exercises would help my vertical that be cool to throw them in there.

Working hard to get big
    Hi Tom -

The routines you've posted are great! Just wondering if you could maybe suggest one to me. I'm an advanced novice or intermediate . .pretty lean . .6'0" 185 lbs 33 years old. I've been lifting seriously since March of this year. I have maxes of 185 bench, 225 squat, 275 dead, 125 military press. Obviously I'd like to get stronger and bigger. I've tried the starr 5x5 linear routine and got bored from it fairly quickly. I liked the wender 5/3/1 boring but big routine (mainly due to the 5x10 assistance volume) but think I can still make better progress weekly than 5/3/1 allows.

I should also add that I play ice hockey and lacrosse once per week . . .kind of serves as my cardio / interval training (sprint / jog . .repeat).

I would be happy with either a 3 or 4 day routine . . .like I said all three of the ones you've posted look great. I just really want to get into a routine I can stick with for a while and make some serious strength gains with . .(and add size of course). Your approach looks awesome and I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks much!

Eric

**I wanted to add that I did the deadlift day of the 3 day split you posted earlier in this thread. My DL max is actually higher than I listed in my first post. I got 300 x 5 tonight (think I could have done more too).
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-09-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Tom,

I will be replacing squats/deadlifts with forward drag pulls using a car and harness along with pushing pushing a car for a period of 3 months. I am aiming for lowerbody strength and conditioning/endurance. What's the best way to warm up as far as stretching goes? Secondly, for starters should I track my progress by time, distance, or speed?

Hi Tom,
    apologies for jumping on lolbear post but i'm after something similar (comprehensive routine). I have bench, weights, squat stands and a weider power stack multigym.

I'm currently doing Bill Starr 5 x 5 and have been for 6 months or so and prefer compound movements but also like some volume as I think I personally respond better.

I'd like to combine a 5x5 and wbb1, what do you think of this?

Monday sets x reps

Squat 3 x 8
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8
    Incline Barbell Bench Press 2 x 8
    Flys 3 x 8
    Barbell Single Arm Row 3 x 8
    Cable Row 2 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25 Abs

Wednesday sets x reps

Squat 3 x 8
    Military Press 3 x 8
    Lateral Raises 3 x 8
    Deadlift 3 x 8
    Barbell Shrugs 2 x 8
    Lat Pull Down 3 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25 Abs

Saturday sets x reps

Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8
    Incline Barbell Bench Press 2 x 8
    Military Press 3 x 8
    Barbell Single Arm Row 3 x 8
    Pullovers 2 x 8
    Tricep Curl 3 x 8
    EZ bar curl 2 x 8 Hammer Curl 1 x 8
    Situps 2 x 25
    Last edited by DavyRen; 12-09-2009 at 07:40 AM.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

I am looking for a strength program. I play a lot of basketball and am close to dunking so if any exercises would help my vertical that be cool to throw them in there.
    Here is a program that covers all muscle groups and should give you good strength gains; all movements can be performed with only a barbell and a bench. I did add in some plyometrics as well to help with your vertical.

LOLBear's 3-Day Limited Equipment Split:

Monday: Pressing
    - Bench Press / (4) Sets of 6 Reps
    - EZ-Bar Overhead Extensions / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Seated Military Press (From Bench) / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press or JM Press / (2) sets of 8 Reps
    - Upright Rows / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Plyometric Pushups / (3) sets of 10 Reps
    - Wide Grip Pushups / 50-75 Total Reps (as many sets as needed)

Wednesday: Lower Body
    - Squats / (4) Sets of 6 reps
    - SLDL (Strait Leg DL) / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Walking Lunges / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Jump Squats (Light) / (3) Sets of 3
    - Box Jumps / (2) Sets of 2-10 Reps
    - Vertical Touches (Ceiling, etc.) / (2) Sets of 5 Reps

Friday: Pulling
    - Medium or Wide Grip Chins / 10 Total Reps (as many sets as needed)
    - Pullups (Underhand) / 10 Total Reps (as many sets as needed)
    - Bent Over Rows [Overhand] / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Bent Over Rows [Underhand] / (2) Sets of 8 Reps
    - Barbell High Pulls or Hang Cleans / (2) Sets of 5 Reps
    - Barbell Curls / (3) Sets of 5, 10 Reps [Drop Sets]

If you need clarification on any of the exercises just let me know. Since you are training alone I would be careful to keep good form and perhaps even video yourself once in a while so that you can check out your technique.

Remember that you want to eat as much protein as possible and try to take in a lot of good carbohydrates before/after your cardio (basketball) sessions. Things like oatmeal and fruit can be great for pre/post workout.

Foods like lean beef, chicken, fish, natural peanut butter, skim milk, whole grains, eggs/egg whites, vegetables, and olive oil are all healthy and will enable you to build lean mass as long as you are consuming enough calories. One tip for putting on size is to eat a high protein meal immediately before bed. When I first started weight training I would eat a can of tuna every night before bed and it helped me to consistently gain strength/mass.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with or if you would like to tweak the program in any way.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-09-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Formatting

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks looks good. I am going start day two today since its Wednesday. I was wondering though Barbell Curls / (3) Sets of 5, 10 Reps [Drop Sets] What that means 3x5 then 3x10? Also my bench is really small and narrow so im not sure if i can squat off it i cant fit my shoulders in between to even get the bar off.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconFootball View Post
    That looks fantastic! I have also toyed with the idea of a 4 day split but would adding the accessory movements such as SLDLs increase overall strength more effectively than alternating on a 3 day split between deads one week, and squats the next? The trouble im having is arranging which parts of the body to utilize on each day... i would probably stick with Back/bi, Chest/tri and have a day for legs, but what would i pair shoulders with? What would an effective 4 day split look like in your prespective?

My diet is really coming together lately and i've become a little more determined in following it. A regular day would look something like :

Breakfast: Multi-vitamin and 2 Omega 3 capsuls, 3-4 eggs (1-2 yolks) 2 tbs of peanut butter, 2 packages of oatmeal, a piece of fruit and occasionally 1-2 pieces of bread or a whole wheat english muffin
    Morning Snack: Protein bar, maybe some fruit, or some almonds
    Lunch: 2 sandwiches (80-100g of ham/turkey/roast beef or tuna, lettuce, 2 slices of cheese, cucumber slices), 1-2 pieces of fruit, bottle of gatorade
    Mid Afternoon snack: some kind of oatmeal bar
    Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with meat sauce, some water/milk, salad, and then some sort of fruit for desert
    Pre workout: If i am feeling tired i will use some sort of energy supplement, along with 5g creatine mono (if im out of results)
    Post workout: 500 ml gatorade mixed with glutamine, along with some type of complex carb to try and replenish glycogen stores (usually carrots), and a protein shake (2 scoops nitrean with 2 tbs of peanut butter in milk)

If my workout was fairly early i might ingest another protein shake with 2 scoops of casein protein and 2 capsuls of ETS(when i have some) to last me over night.
    With regard to a 4-Day split, I did post one earlier in this thread that might be worth taking a look at. A lot of times what I do is hit my normal workouts during the week and then come in on Saturday or Sunday and hit Shoulders & Lower Body Accessory together. This gives you enough seperation that you are not overtraining.

Your diet looks good. The only thing that I might do differently is drop the ANPB from my PWO and morning meal and move it to Bedtime instead. The reason for this is that if you are taking in a lot of sugar (PWO, Breakfast) then your insulin levels will be elevated, and that causes dietary fat to be stored.

When you say "bottle of Gatorade" is that referring to powdered Gatorade or pre-mixed? The pre-mixed is high fructose corn syrup, so I would swap that out in favor of the powdered (which is dextrose).

Bedtime meals are important so I would stay consistent with those. You don't need casein protein - I usually use either a Nitrean shake (blend), cottage cheese, skim milk, or Tuna Fish as my bedtime meal. This is especially helpful if you are trying to put on mass or have been doing a lot of intense training.

Let me know if you want to talk more about the 4-Day split and we can come up with something specific for you.

Hey thanks looks good. I am going start day two today since its Wednesday. I was wondering though Barbell Curls / (3) Sets of 5, 10 Reps [Drop Sets] What that means 3x5 then 3x10? Also my bench is really small and narrow so im not sure if i can squat off it i cant fit my shoulders in between to even get the bar off.
    Here is how you perform the drop set.

Barbell Curl Drop Set: Try to load the bar with smaller plates (5's or 10's), and pick a weight that you can perform (5) good repetions with. Immediately after you finish the set of (5) you strip off some of the weight and then continue the set with a lighter weight for a set of 10. In some cases you may even be using an empty barbell, which is fine. The point of this is to increase the volume and intensity of your biceps workout without adding too much volume to the overall training session. Drop sets are commonly used by bodybuilders and strength athletes.

With regard to the squats, I figured that might be a problem but do your best and try to see if there is a way that you can set up your bench so that you can get underneath the bar.

Let me know how the routine is working for you and do not hesitate to ask if there is anything else that you would like to go over regarding your training program / diet / supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by ericpad View Post
    Hi Tom -

The routines you've posted are great! Just wondering if you could maybe suggest one to me. I'm an advanced novice or intermediate . .pretty lean . .6'0" 185 lbs 33 years old. I've been lifting seriously since March of this year. I have maxes of 185 bench, 225 squat, 275 dead, 125 military press. Obviously I'd like to get stronger and bigger. I've tried the starr 5x5 linear routine and got bored from it fairly quickly. I liked the wender 5/3/1 boring but big routine (mainly due to the 5x10 assistance volume) but think I can still make better progress weekly than 5/3/1 allows.

I should also add that I play ice hockey and lacrosse once per week . . .kind of serves as my cardio / interval training (sprint / jog . .repeat).

I would be happy with either a 3 or 4 day routine . . .like I said all three of the ones you've posted look great. I just really want to get into a routine I can stick with for a while and make some serious strength gains with . .(and add size of course). Your approach looks awesome and I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks much!

Eric

**I wanted to add that I did the deadlift day of the 3 day split you posted earlier in this thread. My DL max is actually higher than I listed in my first post. I got 300 x 5 tonight (think I could have done more too).
    Eric,

Thank you for reaching out. There is some information that I would like to know before I go ahead and put something together for you:

- What exercises are you trying to focus on?
    - Is your primary goal strength, hypertrophy, or both?
    - What equipment do you have access to? And do you have any limitations due to injury, etc.?
    - Are you interested in performing any additional cardio outside of Ice Hockey?

Please reply to let me know and I will draft something up for you right away.