Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Tom, do you know a suitable replacement for deadlifts?? I'm going to be going over to my aunt/uncle's house but can bring up to 40 pounds with me (7.5 pound weights and some 2.5's that I can attach to dumbbells). Would it just be best if I did one legged SLDL's with the Dumbbells?
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    Tom, do you know a suitable replacement for deadlifts?? I'm going to be going over to my aunt/uncle's house but can bring up to 40 pounds with me (7.5 pound weights and some 2.5's that I can attach to dumbbells). Would it just be best if I did one legged SLDL's with the Dumbbells?
    I would not worry about the deadlifts while you are on vacation. Enjoy your trip and if you want to train you can do some light dumbbell work or bodyweight exercises.

SLDL's would be the best way to hit your hamstrings if you are looking to do some lower body work while you are traveling. You can throw in some walking lunges for your quads and maybe some DB jump squats or something to finish off.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

If im looking to maintain my upperbody strength durig the vacation, would 3 sets of max rep push ups be good? Same thing with lower and body weight squats? Or do i actually need a barbell to keep my strength up.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    If im looking to maintain my upperbody strength durig the vacation, would 3 sets of max rep push ups be good? Same thing with lower and body weight squats? Or do i actually need a barbell to keep my strength up.
    How long are you going to be on vacation for?

You will not lose strength over the course of 1-2 weeks; as long as you do not lose a lot of bodyweight or drink alcohol in excess. In many cases the added recovery time will actually allow you to come back stronger.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

I dont drink so thats fine. Basically contiue to eat healthy and ill be good? Im in competetion with my friend and i really want to beat him:P. Im gonna start using my first shipment of nitrean and results when i get back, hopefully that+rebalanced diet+pure desire to win will help me beat his superior genetics.

I dont drink so thats fine. Basically contiue to eat healthy and ill be good? Im in competetion with my friend and i really want to beat him:P. Im gonna start using my first shipment of nitrean and results when i get back, hopefully that+rebalanced diet+pure desire to win will help me beat his superior genetics.
    As long as you maintain your diet then you should return to the gym recovered and ready to hit some intense training. If you would like you can throw in a shock method like a 20-rep squat before leaving for vacation (as long as you do not plan on doing a lot of walking).

I have made good gains with the Results/Nitrean combo.

Let me know if you would like to review your diet or training; we can also discuss some ways to help you peak for the competition with your friend.

I know this is Tom's thread but I just went through this. I went on a 7 day cruise,no lifting,ate really well,didn't drink to excess and got lots of rest. Yesterday was my first day back in the gym and I set a 1rm on bench and a 1rm and 5rm on deads. I felt the strongest ever going back into the gym. Sorry for the jack Tom just thought I would share!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    I know this is Tom's thread but I just went through this. I went on a 7 day cruise,no lifting,ate really well,didn't drink to excess and got lots of rest. Yesterday was my first day back in the gym and I set a 1rm on bench and a 1rm and 5rm on deads. I felt the strongest ever going back into the gym. Sorry for the jack Tom just thought I would share!
    No worries. Thank you for providing the testimonial and backing up the advice that I gave to the other gentleman.

What kind of program do you use to train for your strongman competitions? what kind of conditioning do you do?I was just looking for a solid program minus the atlas stones and keg work because im only 18 and I cant get those right now. Ill take a look at your QandA. I also found a program by Zach even-esh and it is alot of traditional weightlifting (squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench pressing,floor pressing) along with alot of kettlebell work and sandbag and sled work. Is there any websites where I can sign up for competitions, I live in the state of Washington.
    Division 1 shotputter.

Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    What kind of program do you use to train for your strongman competitions? what kind of conditioning do you do?I was just looking for a solid program minus the atlas stones and keg work because im only 18 and I cant get those right now. I also found a program by Zach even-esh and it is alot of traditional weightlifting (squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench pressing,floor pressing) along with alot of kettlebell work and sandbag and sled work. Is there any websites where I can sign up for competitions, I live in the state of Washington.
    Here is an article that I wrote on putting together an effective training program:

AtLarge Nutrition - Creating an Effective Strongman Routine

I can always customized something for your specific needs. What lifts do you want to focus on and what equipment do you have available to you?

Kettlebell and sandbag work is good for general conditioning but will not necessarily have any carryover to strongman. The same holds true for bench pressing, back squats, and a lot of other common gym movements.

Most strongmen focus on the following:
    - Front Squat
    - Deadlift (& DL Variations)
    - Standing Push Press
    - Incline Press
    - Hang Cleans (& Other OLY lifts)

There is also a program that I have recently compiled which is a hybrid training method incorporating hypertrophy training with strongman training. It should be published early next month.

Here is the website for North American Strongman:

www.nastrongmaninc.com

That is where you can find information about local contests. There are a few contests in Washington each year and I do know some of the local competitors so I can potentially get you in touch with a training group depending on how far you are willing to travel and where you are located.

I hope this is what you are looking for; let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Thanks for the advice Tom, and Skinny! as for your offer Tom, ive just been doing typical WS4SB for the last while, while ive done OK on it my friend has really taken off. I think the problem is i am trying to lose body fat right now and gain muscle, and my diet is not up to par. I'm not sure exactly how much i should be eating (i was gonna plan on something like maintence or a little bit lower plus having 220 grams of protein a day, i weigh 245 but ive got alot fof fat).

I have a Squat Rack, weights, barbell, dumbells, bench all the equipment ot do front squats Incline presses and oly lifts. I have some money to spend and im trying to decide what to get. Ive looked on elitefts.com With the the equipment I have what out of these things would be best for me to get? Truck push handle, log press, econo yoke, econo rickshaw, or the 6' Farmers walk handles pair. I am not looking to improve in just one area but all of the areas, deadlift (no belt, straps, suit, or chalk) 425x5,standing pushpress 205x7, Incline Press 255x6, power cleans 225x6. All of these numbers were from last August before my football season during the season I maintained all of those lifts. Currently I am a tad bit weaker because i took sometime off and now I am slowly working my way into intense training because I was having back problems at the end of my season. I live in the Tacoma Federeal Way area of Washington, so If you know anywhere Were I could train Strongman that would be Awesome.
    Division 1 shotputter.

Thanks for the advice Tom, and Skinny! as for your offer Tom, ive just been doing typical WS4SB for the last while, while ive done OK on it my friend has really taken off. I think the problem is i am trying to lose body fat right now and gain muscle, and my diet is not up to par. I'm not sure exactly how much i should be eating (i was gonna plan on something like maintence or a little bit lower plus having 220 grams of protein a day, i weigh 245 but ive got alot fof fat).
    Losing bodyfat while building muscle can be quite a challenge; and diet is definitely going to be very important.

What kind of cardiovascular training are you doing right now along with your weight training program?

Also, what does a typical days diet look like you for? I am sure that we can find some easy ways to tweak your current regimen to improve effectiveness.

In terms of protein I would say that you are right on track. Usually for individuals in a calorie deficit I will recommend a little bit higher protein intake but at maintenance calories your figures sound good.

Strength Coach & Athlete Chase Karnes's Avatar
    Tom,

You planning on doing NAS Nationals this year?

I have a Squat Rack, weights, barbell, dumbells, bench all the equipment ot do front squats Incline presses and oly lifts. I have some money to spend and im trying to decide what to get. Ive looked on elitefts.com With the the equipment I have what out of these things would be best for me to get? Truck push handle, log press, econo yoke, econo rickshaw, or the 6' Farmers walk handles pair. I am not looking to improve in just one area but all of the areas, deadlift (no belt, straps, suit, or chalk) 425x5,standing pushpress 205x7, Incline Press 255x6, power cleans 225x6. All of these numbers were from last August before my football season during the season I maintained all of those lifts. Currently I am a tad bit weaker because i took sometime off and now I am slowly working my way into intense training because I was having back problems at the end of my season. I live in the Tacoma Federeal Way area of Washington, so If you know anywhere Were I could train Strongman that would be Awesome.
    In terms of purchasing strongman equipment I would steer clear of EliteFTS. Their items are more geared towards sports teams who use some strongman implements for conditioning and are also on the higher end of the price spectrum.

My recommendation would be to look to Pitbull Strongman Equipment. Their equipment is pretty much the standard for most training groups and the prices are very reasonable. You can get a solid Yoke for $290 including shipping and farmers handles are just over $100 including shipping. They also sell a very high quality log for under $300.

With regard to what equipment you will need, I would start off with the yoke and farmers. You should be able to obtain a tire for free locally, and kegs can be assembled for relatively little money. A tire sled is a good GPP tool and now you have an entire strongman setup for under $500.

The log would be good to have once you start competing but for now if you focus on your push press, military press, and incline press you should be good with that event after you have a chance to try out the equipment one or two times.

Here is the contact information for Pitbull: Alan Benninga / pitbullk9@yahoo.com

There are a few photos of the equipment posted here: Pitbull Equipment

I will reach out to a couple of people after the holiday to see who is near Tacoma. There should be at least one or two semi-local individuals and I can find out what equipment they have which would save you from having to purchase your own (or give you a chance to 'try before you buy').

Regarding your training, the only thing that jumps out at me is that you mentioned that you deadlift without equipment. In strongman most contests allow you to use straps/suits and they also allow you to 'hitch'. I would train how you compete and perhaps pick up a belt, straps, and chalk to use in training. It is good to build raw strength but never have too much pride to use equipment if it means that you will perform better.

Hope this helps - I will get back to you about the local training groups and please let me know if there is anything else that you would like to brainstorm regarding training, diet, etc.

Thanks Tom, that helps alot and saves me alot of money. For a program, I looked at your Atlarge nutrition article about programs this is what I came up with.
    Monday-Pushjerk ( work up to 3 rep max) Tris and Delt work
    Tuesday- swim
    Wednesday- Deadlift( work up to 3 rep max), Front Squat 3x6 Other leg excersizes
    Thursday- Back, Calves, Abs, Cardio
    Friday-rest
    Saturday- Events day
    Sunday-rest
    * I dont know where to put Powercleans, I was thinking thursday, but If I did that then I wouldnt be able to catch it in a deep squat after deadlifting front squats and other leg excersizes.
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 12-23-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Division 1 shotputter.

hey tom, i sent you this PM but i know you are real busy so i will post this here. thank you!

"hey tom,

ive been posting on here and using ALN for almost 2 yrs now. You have always given me a good answer to any question i have had and i am going to ask for your expert advice here. Anyway i am in between workouts. I have done wbb 1.1, BGB, and now just finished another 4/day a week workout given to me by a member on here. It was based around squat (mon), bench (tues), dead (thurs), chin (fri), with bis, tris, and light shoulders mixed in. Anyway let me give you my goals here: I am 6' 190 lbs, was about 170 when i joined the boards feb 2008. I would not mind adding another 5 lbs or so of mass, but want to stay at a very cut 190 lbs come summer time.

So i am trying to figure out a workout for the next several months. Maybe something for the next 3 months, then start something that will produce a more cut look come april or so? i am not sure. I have also enjoyed working out 4 days a week much more than 3 days a week. Maybe as summer comes do 3/days a week and 1 day of sprinting work. I'm not sure why but i feel as if i gain more doing 4 days a week. I have also posted lately to having some shoulder issues. so my plan is to take it lightly until the new year, just mess around in the gym stay light, and then hit the new year running. I know this is a lot but i would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you so much tom.

Pete"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Jtteg -

Is there any particular reason why you are completely cutting out free weight training? Will you not have access to a gym during that period?

With regard to a warmup I would recommend a mix of light cardiovascular work and some dynamic stretching. It may also be in your best interest to pick up some support equipment like compression shorts, neoprene knee sleeves, and a back brace to keep your muscles/joints warm.

Here is an example of what I would do for a warmup:
    - Light Jogging or Jump Rope, 2-5 Minutes
    - Static Stretching, 2-3 Minutes
    - Basic Movement Drills or Dynamic Stretching, 2 Minutes
    - Low Intensity Specific Warmup (Pushing Car, but not going all out), 1-3 sets

Car pushing and pulling is going to be very stressful on your calves, so you want to make sure that you are getting them warmed up properly. Having the right footwear is also important since traction will be a big factor with pulling/pushing. Rock Climbing shoes are hands-down the best option, but trail running, cross trainer, and other shoes will work.

In terms of tracking your progress I would alternate between weeks. One week can be a 'Power' week where you do shorter distances (50-75 ft.) for time/speed. The other week can be 'endurance' where you can do sets of 45-60 seconds for distance, or long range sets (100-250+ ft.) for time. Another thing that you can do is put the e-brake on slightly, or do some work on a slight incline for your power week (can go with shorter distances if it is very high intensity). Generally car pulling is only hard for the start and then the car starts rolling and has momemtum if you are on flat ground.

Hope this helps!
    Sorry if I've confused you, I still have my DE/ME bench days at the gym. I have knee sleeves but will a weight lifting belt work for back support? As far as shoes, I have either my chuck taylors or Nike running shoes...which would be better?

Thanks for the info Tom

Shut up and Lift
    Tom, first off thank you for helping all of us. I would like to ask you, do you think farmers walks (light) would be feasible on off days for cardio when cutting? Thank you and enjoy the holidays.
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Wannabebig Member
    Baseball seasons coming only leavin me the weekend to workout.....That may kill my mass gains if im not careful. WHat do you soggest i do in terms of a routine and how i shall eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Karnes View Post
    Tom,

You planning on doing NAS Nationals this year?
    It depends on the events / location / timing.

The biggest contest for 2010 will be the Arizona Invitational.

Thanks Tom, that helps alot and saves me alot of money. For a program, I looked at your Atlarge nutrition article about programs this is what I came up with.
    Monday-Pushjerk ( work up to 3 rep max) Tris and Delt work
    Tuesday- swim
    Wednesday- Deadlift( work up to 3 rep max), Front Squat 3x6 Other leg excersizes
    Thursday- Back, Calves, Abs, Cardio
    Friday-rest
    Saturday- Events day
    Sunday-rest
    * I dont know where to put Powercleans, I was thinking thursday, but If I did that then I wouldnt be able to catch it in a deep squat after deadlifting front squats and other leg excersizes.
    You can add the power cleans in on your back day if you would like; or just leave them out of your program for now while you focus on deadlift and front squat (which are more important movements).

Another recommendation would be to include some type of pressing with your Monday workout to build static strength. Push Press / Push Jerk has a lot to do with technique and something like incline bench press or close grip bench press will be good for building raw power.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with, and I will reach out to the competitors who I know in Washington after the holiday.

Tom,
    Thx so much for sharing your knowledge. My goal is the highest total I can get for the big three mainting my current weight (240). I need a three day a week program and currently hit each of those movements once a week for about eight sets followed by accessory work of about twelve sets. I work up to heavy triples for bench, doubles for squats, and singles for deads. You posted deads every week were hard on the CNS and I wanted to know the best way to increase my #'s without being my own worst enemy so to speak. Perhaps a scheduled lighter deadlift or squat day every few weeks? Also, what accessories for those days with reps and sets. I usually end up with about twent total sets with the compound movement being very heavy and accessory work lighter. The exception is Heavy tri work om bench day.

Some of the accessory parts are hit more than once a week, but, usually only three or four sets at a time.

Awesome thread Tom!!

I recently go burned out on Starting Strength and I really liked the layout on the routine you posted below. It definitely kicks my ass the day I work out, but compared to SS I feel like I'm not hitting each muscle group enough during the week. Especially going from squating 3 days a week to only 1 it feels like I'm not doing enough.

3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    Last edited by Davy_Baby9; 12-25-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Ok thanks tom, could I do plyos prior to my events on my events day?
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 12-25-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    Division 1 shotputter.