Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxdB View Post
    Damn Tom, you seem like the most eager and willing to help person on this board by far.

I don't really have any questions. I just figured I'd say thanks for your enthusiasm to help everybody out here!
    x2 I dunno how you do it, Tom. But the WBB community is very luck to have you.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Only thing i am bit apprehensive about is the reps.

2x10, 2x6, 2x4, 1x4 is what he recommended going up in weight between sets...for the main lifts anyway, light work is 3x10
    Are all of these sets done to failure? Or are they 'warm-up' sets and then the sets of 4-6 are max effort?

I would say that at a maximum you would want 1-2 working sets for primary movements, though that does not mean that you cannot perform other sets as you work up to the heavier weights to get in some volume.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Are all of these sets done to failure? Or are they 'warm-up' sets and then the sets of 4-6 are max effort?

I would say that at a maximum you would want 1-2 working sets for primary movements, though that does not mean that you cannot perform other sets as you work up to the heavier weights to get in some volume.
    Hi Tom, thanks for the reply!

Everything before the 4 rep sets are not to Failure, the first four are very hard but not failure and the second set of four comes close to failure or I fail on the fourth. Is 8 reps at a 'work level' enough?

The six rep sets are probably about 80% the sixth is normally a tough one.

Thanks

Keiran
    Last edited by Kiff; 12-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply!

Everything before the 4 rep sets are not to Failure, the first four are very hard but not failure and the second set of four comes close to failure or I fail on the fourth. Is 8 reps at a 'work level' enough?

The six rep sets are probably about 80% the sixth is normally a tough one.

Thanks

Keiran
    That sounds like a good template in terms of the rep ranges, intensity, and 'ramp up' sets.

Do you have a set progression in terms of trying to add weight or increase reps from week to week?
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-07-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

That sounds like a good template in terms of the rep ranges, intensity, and 'ramp up' sets.

Do you have a set progression in terms of trying to add weight or increase reps from week to week?
    Not a set plan! I really should, for the first few weeks i was goign to see how it goes, i have spent a while on HCT so that was all about the Autoregulation so i was planning on upping wherever possible, i would normally have a good idea by the end of the last set of 6.

As for the events and such like i had not thought about that yet!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks as always Tom

Keiran

A Westside journal.

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

Not a set plan! I really should, for the first few weeks i was goign to see how it goes, i have spent a while on HCT so that was all about the Autoregulation so i was planning on upping wherever possible, i would normally have a good idea by the end of the last set of 6.

As for the events and such like i had not thought about that yet!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks as always Tom

Keiran
    You're welcome.

Have a progression plan can be almost as important as a good training split, although auto-regulation is also effective for a lot of people.

One progression scheme that I have recommended in the past is an alternating 'dual progression' program with 'Power' and 'Endurance' weeks. The objective for the Power week would be to increase the weight used for a specific rep range (usually 3-5); while the objective for the endurance week would be to increase the number of repetitions performed with a given weigh (10+ reps).

Here is an example of a what a six week rotation with 2.5Kg jumps on the power movement would look like (#'s would be adjusted based on goals and strength levels):

Front Squat:
    Week 1: 50 kilos for endurance (11 repetitions)
    Week 2: 75 kilos for power (4 repetitions)
    Week 3: 50 kilos for endurance (12 repetitions)
    Week 4: 77.5 kilos for power (4 repetitions
    Week 5: 50 or 52.5 kilos for endurance (10+ reps)
    Week 6: 80 kilos for power (4 repetitions)
    Week 7: Recovery Week
    Week 8: Re-set and start back at Week 1 with adjusted goals/weights

Of course this is a bit more complex and may require you to enlist the assistance of a qualified Coach/Trainer. For now you may want to just stick with auto-regulation, but you can work in the dual-progression if that is something that interests you.

Thanks Tom that does look intresting indeed.. Just one last question, would te endurance week be across all excerises? Would I cotinue after hitting a new Pr to he higher weight lower rep stiff in that workout? For example;

Cleans

10x30k
    12x40k (new Pr)
    6x50k
    4x70k

Or would it stop at the Pr like a volume week? I think I already know what the answer will be :-) would you swap each exercise each week or do volume then weight across them all?

Thanks

Keiran

A Westside journal.

Thanks Tom that does look intresting indeed.. Just one last question, would te endurance week be across all excerises? Would I cotinue after hitting a new Pr to he higher weight lower rep stiff in that workout? For example;

Cleans

10x30k
    12x40k (new Pr)
    6x50k
    4x70k

Or would it stop at the Pr like a volume week? I think I already know what the answer will be :-) would you swap each exercise each week or do volume then weight across them all?

Thanks

Keiran
    The way that template would work would be that one week you focus on hitting a "heavy" PR and the next week focus on an "endurance" PR. You do not perform both in the same workout although you can throw in some non-maximal 'heavy' or 'endurance' with either workout as accessory training if you would like.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Tom,

I've been training, for around 1 year with a 3 month gap off inbetween, and have learned the basics. I have mainly done hypertrophy work but am now looking to start strength training, I prefer mainly compounds with a few iso lifts to aid the compound numbers, would you be able to put together a program for me?

Thanks

hey tom,

What do you recommend as far as stretches and warm ups. Also I feel like I might have slight kyphosis and lordosis. What do you recommend to fix this and keep good posture?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 19dan89 View Post
    Hi Tom,

I've been training, for around 1 year with a 3 month gap off inbetween, and have learned the basics. I have mainly done hypertrophy work but am now looking to start strength training, I prefer mainly compounds with a few iso lifts to aid the compound numbers, would you be able to put together a program for me?

Thanks
    How many days per week are you able to train or interested in training?

Also, do you plan to compete in Powerlifting or are you just looking to build overall strength?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    hey tom,

What do you recommend as far as stretches and warm ups. Also I feel like I might have slight kyphosis and lordosis. What do you recommend to fix this and keep good posture?

Thanks
    What type of training are you looking for a warm-up for?

I am admittedly not very well-versed in stretching or flexibility programs. A friend of mine who is a an accomplished trainer and athlete recommended a book titled "Stretch to Win" written by Ann Frederick. It is available on Amazon for under $15.

One of my training partners has kyphosis and he has been seeing a Chiropractor for treatment. There are some treatment options on this website: Google Health - Kyphosis - but ultimately this is something that you need to discuss with your Doctor.

Wannabebig Member
    How many days per week are you able to train or interested in training?

Also, do you plan to compete in Powerlifting or are you just looking to build overall strength?

I can train as many times of the week as possible, just looking to build overall strength, my goal is to bulk, but I might aswell strength train as I will be strong and big, eventually

What type of training are you looking for a warm-up for?

I am admittedly not very well-versed in stretching or flexibility programs. A friend of mine who is a an accomplished trainer and athlete recommended a book titled "Stretch to Win" written by Ann Frederick. It is available on Amazon for under $15.

One of my training partners has kyphosis and he has been seeing a Chiropractor for treatment. There are some treatment options on this website: Google Health - Kyphosis - but ultimately this is something that you need to discuss with your Doctor.

I've been using this program below for about 4 months with decent gains but feel like I've hit a plateau (though it might be because I'm not eating enough). I want to make sure I'm warmed up and stretched enough so that I'm not hindering my performance. What do you recommend?

I am also interested in switching up my program a bit because my body is probably used to it and I always hear about the importance of switching up your program after a while. Right now Im 6 foot 1 about 185 and I want to hit 195. My forearms and calves are pretty small so Id like to know what you recommend for that as well. Thanks for the help.

Monday: Back / Biceps
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Chest / Shoulders / Arms

Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

Chest:
    - Flat DB or BB Bench Press: (4) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Incline BB Press: (1) rest-pause set of 15-20+ reps, (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Decline Fly / DB Press [Superset]: (3) sets of 10 & 10
    - Pec Deck / Chest Press Machine [Superset]: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Chest, Arms, & Shoulders:
    - Decline BB Press: (4) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Incline DB Flyes: (1) sets of 10-15 reps
    - Seated DB Military Press: (2) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips (or) Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (4) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (3) sets
    - Overhead Extension / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets or 8-10 reps

Tom

I have been on the forum for a while now and see you help alot of people with goals/training ect.
    I just started a journal but my workout is all over the place.
    Would you be able to help me set up a program for my goals?

I'm weighing about 77kg right now and just short of 5/8, about 19-20% body fat I would say (I have posted pictures in the picture section). My overall goal is to hit about 85kg. My short term goal is 80kg.
    When I first started training about a year ago I was around 64kg, so I'm happy with my progress but its got to a point now where I need a routine, I have had no specfic routine to follow and "Off Road" has already advised me I'm hitting the same body parts to soon and it needs mixing up. I have also never really trained my core which could be a problem?

I train at home in my garage, I have a fair bit of equipment.
    Bench (can do incline but no decline)
    Barbell (10kg)
    ez curl bar
    dumbells
    12kg kettlebell
    weight plates *- 4x0.5kg - 4x1.25kg - 4x.2.5kg - 4x5kg - 2x7.5kg - 4x10kg - 2x15kg
    Ab roll out wheel
    Stationary bike
    Push up bars
    and lots of boxing equipment i.e gloves mitts bag and skipping rope.

Only problem is NO squat rack!

My numbers are as follows (max reps)

Bench 100kg
    Deadlift 120kg
    Squat ???
    Overhead 55kg
    Barbell row 70kg
    Barbell curl 45kg
    Close grip bench 70kg

Would you be willing to help me set up a routine?
    I would be very greatful.

I have had a look at all the routines on here but not sure which one is for me? They all include the squat which clearly is a big movement but like I said I got no rack.

Anything that you would need to know just ask!

Thank You
    Mike
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

Wannabebig Member
    TM, how would you implement a comprehensive training program for a 12 year old athlete who plays football? My son and I will begin working out after the new year. Our main focus is to increase his acceleration/explosiveness. Our workouts will be on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and all bodyweight based(ie. push-ups, chin-ups, bench dips, medicine ball throws(15lbs), step-ups on a 12" box, 45 degree hypers, and walking lunges. Light sled drags for speed twice a week for 5 x 20 yards with 2 unresisted 10-20 yard sprints after(contrast training). Jumping rope as a warmup before each workout. The workouts will be brief to keep him from burning out. So, what would be the best way to organize everything?

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm looking for a custom program. My goals are to be bigger, stronger, and faster for football, but id also like to compete in strongman and powerlifting. I have been strength training on and off for 4 years for football, mostly 5x5. My bench is 265, atg squat 335, box squat 405, military press 155, deadlift 365, powerclean 165. I'm 19, 5'8" 175lbs and I want to get to 200 asap. I can workout everyday of the week and I workout at 24 hr fitness and I'm looking for a program to do in the gym. I can also do a strongman training class on saturdays.

Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Yes, that is the correct program. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Pete
    Just checking in to see if you missed this post.

Hope all is well.

Pete

Hi Tom,

Thanks
    I can train as many times of the week as possible, just looking to build overall strength, my goal is to bulk, but I might aswell strength train as I will be strong and big, eventually
    The three day split that I put together has a good mix of compound and isolation movements, and would provide a mix of strength/hypertrophy.

Another option would be the HCT-12 program.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HCT-12 Information:

Link: http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...ining-program/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range. For some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-29-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    I've been using this program below for about 4 months with decent gains but feel like I've hit a plateau (though it might be because I'm not eating enough). I want to make sure I'm warmed up and stretched enough so that I'm not hindering my performance. What do you recommend?

I am also interested in switching up my program a bit because my body is probably used to it and I always hear about the importance of switching up your program after a while. Right now Im 6 foot 1 about 185 and I want to hit 195. My forearms and calves are pretty small so Id like to know what you recommend for that as well. Thanks for the help.

Monday: Back / Biceps
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Chest / Shoulders / Arms

Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

Chest:
    - Flat DB or BB Bench Press: (4) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Incline BB Press: (1) rest-pause set of 15-20+ reps, (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Decline Fly / DB Press [Superset]: (3) sets of 10 & 10
    - Pec Deck / Chest Press Machine [Superset]: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Chest, Arms, & Shoulders:
    - Decline BB Press: (4) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Incline DB Flyes: (1) sets of 10-15 reps
    - Seated DB Military Press: (2) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips (or) Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (4) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (3) sets
    - Overhead Extension / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets or 8-10 reps
    There are some variables when it comes to warming up, but here is an example of a typical warm-up that I perform before a weight training session:

Warm-Up:
    - Walking on treadmill for 5-10 minutes
    - Add neoprene or cloth elbow/knee sleeves
    - Dynamic warm-up with light weights or bodyweight movements
    - Progressive low volume/low intensity sets with machines relevant to the muscle group(s) or movement(s) that you will be training.
    - Direct warm-up starting off light with the first exercise of your workout.

The total warm-up usually takes about 15-20 minutes.

---------------------------------

With regard to your forearms and calves, do you do any direct training for them right now?

How are your strength levels right now? An Upper/Lower split could be a good alternative to what you are doing now, but the volume and intensity would need to be adjusted in accordance with your strength (to avoid over-training).

There are some variables when it comes to warming up, but here is an example of a typical warm-up that I perform before a weight training session:

Warm-Up:
    - Walking on treadmill for 5-10 minutes
    - Add neoprene or cloth elbow/knee sleeves
    - Dynamic warm-up with light weights or bodyweight movements
    - Progressive low volume/low intensity sets with machines relevant to the muscle group(s) or movement(s) that you will be training.
    - Direct warm-up starting off light with the first exercise of your workout.

The total warm-up usually takes about 15-20 minutes.

With regard to your forearms and calves, do you do any direct training for them right now?

How are your strength levels right now? An Upper/Lower split could be a good alternative to what you are doing now, but the volume and intensity would need to be adjusted in accordance with your strength (to avoid over-training).

My strength levels are bench - 205lbs, deadlift - 245, squat - 225. These are all for reps. I try to work in 2 sets twice a week for calves and forearms for separate days, but I don't know how I should be training these muscles as far as high reps or low reps and how often.

Wannabebig Member

Exercise Progression and Hypertrophy Nutrition

I was actually writing this just to Tom because he seem so helpful, and figured I might as well post it to the boards for whoever might be interested.

"Hey Tom, congrats on all of your success in training and meets. I recently started looking into powerlifting and then strongman training and your name has come up a lot in articles and in these forums. I have a personal training background and foundation primarily in functional strength training from S & C coach Mike Boyle, so I incorporate a lot of his principles into my training, and want to do the same with powerlifting.

My question to you is with powerlifting programs and progression, with my priority right now being hypertrophy. I saw in your Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy article that you would progress from a volume week to a strength week and continue in that order. I was thinking of doing the same, but in two week intervals (that's just the way I was taught, whether it's better or not I have no idea!) but my main concern for how I would program this for me is how would you progress exercises? Normally, I'd go from say box jumps to single leg box jumps to weighted box jumps over 3 cycles (a cycle or phase would typically last a month and then be progressed to the next cycle) as part of a program and then start again at cycle 1. Do you use this same principle in powerlifting and strongman (I know they are not the same, but since you have competed in both, and they seem to train in a similar fashion.)

Just in case you are interested in what I plan on doing:
    2 weeks of Extended Time under Tension (basically the repitition method) of 3 sets x 12-15 longer reps. 90 second rest intervals
    Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps (2 exercises for each bodypart)
    Day off
    Day 2: Legs, back, biceps (2 exercises for each bodypart)
    Day off
    Rinse and repeat in that order
    2 weeks of 5 x 5 strength training, but possibly going to try your 1 week of 1RM and another week of 3RM

So this way I am still hitting all muscles fibers (which leads to overall performance), with the eventual goal of keeping a lot of my explosiveness, but slowly increasing my size.

My other concern is nutrition: I eat well, have my isopure mass gainer, but I'm definitely not on your guys' level. What kind of plan would a pro like you eat to not gain a ton of bodyfat, but gain the size necessary to hit the numbers you would hit. I know some body fat just comes with hypertrophy and you can cut it later, but I'd like to keep it at a minimum haha. I was thinking: eat every 2 hours, so probably 4 big meals, the rest all mass gainer shakes (maybe with a snack since that won't be enough.) Breakfast: eggs and oatmeal, lunch: chicken, protein wheat pasta with veggies, 2nd lunch: ?? lol, dinner: some kinda meat and potatoes etc

Thanks."

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Tom, would you mind having a look over this routine I found from some other site?

Mondays
    -Bench Press 3 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7reps for 2-3weeks then switch to 3-5reps
    -Incline Bench Press 3sets of 6-8, no need for warm up sets(throw in db's in place of barbells once in awhile for something different)
    -Flat Bench Db Presses or Flyes 3sets of 10
    -Lat pulldowns, bent rows, low pully rows, db rows, and so on and so on. Pick two or three exercises, vary your reps. Obviously the lower the reps scheme the more weight you should use
    -Abs

Wednesday
    -Squats 3-4 working sets(not including warm ups) 5-7 and 3-5 reps schemes work best
    -Deadlifts can be done if desired or in substitute of another exercise. 3sets of 3-5
    -Leg press 3sets of 8-10
    -Leg Curls 3sets of 8-10
    -Leg Ext. 3sets of 8-10
    -Bicep work- pick a couple of exercises, 3sets of whatever.
    -Abs

Fridays
    -Close Grip Bench 3sets of 5-7(not including warmups)
    -Front Presses 3sets of 3-5 reps
    -Dips 3sets of whatever
    -Rope Tricep extensions3sets of 8-10
    -Side Laterals (db or cable) 3sets of 10-12
    -Abs

What do you think? Any good?

Wannabebig Member
    Hey first of I want to congratulate u on pure awesomeness. U are the physic I want to be at. So pretty much what should I do to get to ur strength and body fat and athleticism? I currently weigh 203lbs. and wouldnt mind gaining another 10lbs or so of lean muscle by may.

Currently I am doing the wendler 531 to get my base strength up and here is a sample daily menu.
    Breakfast 4 whole eggs. Protein pancake (3 eggs 2/3c oats cinnamon rasins or banana 1 scoop of isopure mass)
    Snack: protein oats. 2/3 oats 2 scoops of pb 1 scoop of isopure mass whey
    Lunch: 8oz steak with sweet potato or naked qudoba queso chicken burrito or quart of chicken salsa and brown rice.
    Dinner same as lunch
    Before bed: 16oz of ff cottage cheese

Please any help will be appreciated