The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

shrugs with bb's vs. shrugs with shrug bar?

I've been doing shrugs with DB's after my 1st bad car accident for over 10 years now.
    However, two kids later, I can't get into the gym as much to hit them on a weekly basis. Getting into that exercise heavy really helped reduce my recovery time when I got into a 2nd car accident 2 years later. I ended up with bulging discs at T1 and T2, but it could have been much worse, got hit at 50mph..no brakes. No treatment has been suggested.
    I was thinking about buying a shrug bar to add to my home equipment. I currently didn't have any plans to get 50's-100's bb's. I do DL's already, but I do them more for legs.

Last night I was in my gym and noticed they had a shrug bar in the corner so I tried it out. It certainly doesn't hit the traps like I was used to because the grip forces your arms out wide, but any opinions on if it's more/less effective?

EDIT, I messed up the initial post. I meant I do db shurgs, not bb shrugs.
    I will typically start with 50's and go up to 90's or 100's depending on how my grip is holding up.
    Last edited by jay-dub; 11-03-2009 at 10:08 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

do both, what i do is take dumbells over to the standing calf raise machine and do dumbell shrugs/calf raise shrugs, to use more weight.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

If you haven't tried Trap Bar Deadlifts yet, do yourself a favor and try it out. It is an interesting cross between squats and deadlifts. Very effective for training a large percentage of the body all at once. I don't do many shrugs, so I can't help much with that question.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If you haven't tried Trap Bar Deadlifts yet, do yourself a favor and try it out. It is an interesting cross between squats and deadlifts. Very effective for training a large percentage of the body all at once. I don't do many shrugs, so I can't help much with that question.
    No, I haven't tried that yet.

Haven't been into deadlifts that long either, next time I get to the gym I'll try them out.
    I think I'm going to have to go find a trap bar for my home equipment, it seems more versatile than I thought.

I use an over/under grip on barbell shrugs at the same width I deadlift. I go pretty heavy so I work my grip as well (don't use straps!). I much prefer doing bb to db shrugs because of the weight that you can add. You can go from putting a 50 pound load on your traps doing 50 pound dbs to maybe a 150 pound load doing bb.

However, heavy bb shrugs may need to be stayed away from since you have had a lot of back injuries.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    I use an over/under grip on barbell shrugs at the same width I deadlift. I go pretty heavy so I work my grip as well (don't use straps!). I much prefer doing bb to db shrugs because of the weight that you can add. You can go from putting a 50 pound load on your traps doing 50 pound dbs to maybe a 150 pound load doing bb.

However, heavy bb shrugs may need to be stayed away from since you have had a lot of back injuries.
    I realize I messed up my intial post.

I'm not as concerned about loading, if I can get my traps sore with 100lb db's that's fine with me. However, the more I get into deadlifts, maybe I won't get as much benefit doing traps separately.
    I don't do anything specifically for chest anymore, just benching and pushups and other compound movements.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I'm not a fan of shrugs because most people dont do them with correct form, then holding a weight in front of the body like that for an extended period of time can place a lot of unnecessary stress on the disk of the back, and i think there are better and safer ways to build the traps. But if you must do shrugs, for spinal health and shrug bar would be your best bet, it properly vertically loads the spine so its not as much stress on it.

most important of all dont let your ego do the lifting for you
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    if you must do shrugs, for spinal health and shrug bar would be your best bet, it properly vertically loads the spine so its not as much stress on it.
    I hadn't thought of that, but you're right, the Trap Bar would keep the load centered durring shrugs. Good point.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    I'm not a fan of shrugs because most people dont do them with correct form, then holding a weight in front of the body like that for an extended period of time can place a lot of unnecessary stress on the disk of the back, and i think there are better and safer ways to build the traps. But if you must do shrugs, for spinal health and shrug bar would be your best bet, it properly vertically loads the spine so its not as much stress on it.

most important of all dont let your ego do the lifting for you
    I started doing them for physical therapy, for six months of physical therapy, for each accident. So, I doubt my form is that jacked up being that I was under supervision for over 12 months of shrug work, granted, the last round ended in 98.
    I was more wondering if anyone could tell me the motion involved in the shrug bar is typically as effective. I can get a good burn going with the db's, even after 10 years of doing them.
    I do sets of 12 reps, 50's, 60's,70's, 80's, 90's and 100's if my grip holds up, I rarely go higher than that since I do them at the end of my back workout.

Last night I did a set of 10-15 with a heavy barbell, then moved over to dumbells for a set of 10 with heavy dumbells immediately after, for 4 sets. I'm sure the shrug bar can do the same thing as the dumbells. I have never EVER felt this in my traps before. It completely killed them.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Using the trap bar or DB's gives a little better ROM, and lessens the thorasic spine rounding (Less all of the cheating shrugs I've witnessed!)