The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let the vengeance begin! Make him feel the way you did.

1 5.26%
  • More subtle vengeance... your basically holding back what you could really say for his sake.

2 10.53%
  • Do nothing. Walk away.

16 84.21%
  • Try and be friends after all these years.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vengeance... would you do it?

Sitting at home with mono tends to force me to think about things... because of course there isn't much else to do.

My question... if you had the opportunity to reap the benefits of vengeance for being made fun of as a kid would you do it? This is really geared towards people around my age (20-25). I am sure many of you beasts here were either very fat or very skinny during your highschool years. Either way, everyone has been bullied at some point in their life, some more than others.

I got thinking about all the douchebags who made fun of me for being a short fat kid with severe acne. The only thing that could make a situation like that worse would be if I was a paraplegic. Now I am a tall acne free guy with a decent build. I know I am by no means strong compared to you monsters, but there aren't many people out there who know how to lift. I asked myself...if I ever met that one specific bully from highschool again... and he happened to have changed very little (scronny and short compared to me now... which I think is the case) would I rub it in his face? Would I make him feel insecure? Would I just let it go? I don't know... Is vengeance that sweet?
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Seeing all the a-holes of my past working at dead end jobs and convenience stores living there angry lives is vengeance enough for me . Karma has been pretty good to me. I say live your life and don't worry about the ass hats. There are some pretty messed up things that people do to each other, but in the end, everyone gets theres one way or another.

I'd probably make him feel like a bit of a dick. I wouldn't go on a massive rant about how he's **** and I'm better now... But I'd probably just be a little condescending...

"oh that's cool mate, you're giving the gym a try? oh yeah that's really good mate, you'll see results quick I'm sure" or something to that effect.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Im with above, Karma has a funny and cool way of working things out for you... sometimes time is needed, but Karma is a muther f*&^&er.
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    The best revenge is to live well.

Considering how there are about 100 books about how men destroy their lives seeking revenge I would abstain (think Cap'n Ahab). No need, you won't gain from it in fact you only lose energy and patience.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Gamer/Lifter
    More subtle vengeance... your basically holding back what you could really say for his sake.
    I did this, I wouldn't go all out on them. But like what i'm doing to a teacher that insulted me saying I'd become nothing I setup a lunch meeting with her.

I intend on doing a bit of bragging to prove her wrong.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I wouldnt get revenge, but I would and will not let myself get pushed around like I use to. In highschool I got more of verbal bullying done, and some physical. Just stuff that made my self esteem lower. I dont know why I didnt do anything about it. It was finally senior year when I grew a pair and stuck up for myself. The kids who thought they were tough ended up not being so tough when you stood up to them. Its the small cocky kids who get in your head that really bug me. Theyre like little misquitoes. No matter how many times you swat them, they come back for more. If I could go back to my highschool days, that would have deffinetely change. Some fights would be inevitable, but also I think If I went in with more confidence I would not have been a target.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Sitting at home with mono tends to force me to think about things... because of course there isn't much else to do.

My question... if you had the opportunity to reap the benefits of vengeance for being made fun of as a kid would you do it? This is really geared towards people around my age (20-25). I am sure many of you beasts here were either very fat or very skinny during your highschool years. Either way, everyone has been bullied at some point in their life, some more than others.

I got thinking about all the douchebags who made fun of me for being a short fat kid with severe acne. The only thing that could make a situation like that worse would be if I was a paraplegic. Now I am a tall acne free guy with a decent build. I know I am by no means strong compared to you monsters, but there aren't many people out there who know how to lift. I asked myself...if I ever met that one specific bully from highschool again... and he happened to have changed very little (scronny and short compared to me now... which I think is the case) would I rub it in his face? Would I make him feel insecure? Would I just let it go? I don't know... Is vengeance that sweet?
    Well I was fat (90lbs in 1st grade) all the way til sophmore year of high school and I did get made fun of for it, but I also got called stupid a lot. Most people who did the bashing are either working as waiters with their degrees or are fat and I don't really know what they're doing or if they have degrees. I went to a concert a few months ago, I saw the guy who used to make fun of me in middle school, looked like he was almost 400 lbs and over 50% body fat. I don't get a sense of satisfaction out of other's misfortune but I wonder if they ever consider what they have become in regards of what they were. As for being called stupid, I'm the only biochemical engineer (graduate in spring) I know from my high school. Interestingly enough though, the smart kids from my high school, the ones who are successful never made fun of me and actually were friendly to me whenever we crossed paths.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

There is one guy from college that was always an ass, he wanted to be Mr in charge of everything. He knows me well, we started a Paintball club for our university together. He was part of SGU and in a frat. Myself and about 4 other people did all the work to start the club and he used his position in SGU to push it through and get approved. Later he said that he single handily started the club. He also was on the year book committee and they gave the paintball club a page, he put a half page picture of himself in, and then put one picture if a friend of mine that was in the club but not a founder, and 2 pictures of guys that did not even go to our school. I have about 200 pics of the original founding group playing. He never asked for any, he knew I had the pics. They are even posted on facebook.

Since graduation a friend of mine and I have run into him a handful of time and each time he has decided to have a conversation with my friend that I was with and not even say hi to me.

I would love to knock the guy on his ass and teach him not to treat people like stepping stones, but I know one day he will need one of the people he has stepped on and they will tell him to suck it.

I have met a few people like that, one actually applied for a job that my mother was hiring manager for. She asked if I knew him,I did and my girlfriend actually worked with him in college. I told her that he was only interested in advancing himself and if something needed to be done and he was not going to get praise for doing it he would not do it. Also he would take credit at any opportunity for the achievement of others. Needless to say he did not get the job. Sad thing is that I felt a little bad for the guy because there was no way that he was ever going to get the job, and I was nice about what I said about him.

Carma is an interesting thing. I try to be courteous every chance I get, I let people in on the road, do whatever I can for other people. Hopefully my Carma will come back around for me and I will get a good job soon.
    Last edited by mr handy; 11-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    There is one guy from college that was always an ass, he wanted to be Mr in charge of everything. He knows me well, we started a Paintball club for our university together. He was part of SGU and in a frat. Myself and about 4 other people did all the work to start the club and he used his position in SGU to push it through and get approved. Later he said that he single handily started the club. He also was on the year book committee and they gave the paintball club a page, he put a half page picture of himself in, and then put one picture if a friend of mine that was in the club but not a founder, and 2 pictures of guys that did not even go to our school. I have about 200 pics of the original founding group playing. He never asked for any, he knew I had the pics. They are even posted on facebook.

Since graduation a friend of mine and I have run into him a handful of time and each time he has decided to have a conversation with my friend that I was with and not even say hi to me.

I would love to knock the guy on his ass and teach him not to treat people like stepping stones, but I know one day he will need one of the people he has stepped on and they will tell him to suck it.

I have met a few people like that, one actually applied for a job that my mother was hiring manager for. She asked if I knew him,I did and my girlfriend actually worked with him in college. I told her that he was only interested in advancing himself and if something needed to be done and he was not going to get praise for doing it he would not do it. Also he would take credit at any opportunity for the achievement of others. Needless to say he did not get the job. Sad thing is that I felt a little bad for the guy because there was no way that he was ever going to get the job, and I was nice about what I said about him.

Carma is an interesting thing. I try to be courteous every chance I get, I let people in on the road, do whatever I can for other people. Hopefully my Carma will come back around for me and I will get a good job soon.
    I agree with your karma sentiment 100% but I also have to add if you put in the hard work and you make sure people notice that will help you a long way in your job. Hell even reconnecting with old work buddies without any preconceptions of them giving you a job will help because you'll be on their mind. Network and re-network hell even volunteering to work at a business will probably get you a job as long as you work hard.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I would try not to hold on to the anger.

That said...the one kid who actively tried to put me down at every turn throughout middle and highschool now makes less then 1/2 my salary, didn't even have D-III schools looking at him for football upon graduation from highschool (I went D-I), and I banged his sister when she turned 18 and made sure to let all his friends know (and in affect him).

He was a racist who hated Arab's. Hope he likes knowing that some "sand ******" as he called me deflowered his baby sister
    Last edited by CrazyK; 11-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    It was finally senior year when I grew a pair and stuck up for myself. The kids who thought they were tough ended up not being so tough when you stood up to them.
    An old fashioned punch in the throat tends to send a definitive message, doesnt it?
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

My advice would be to get over high school and get on with your life as soon as possible.

No need to be nice, but move on.

(edit: I don't think vengeance is so sweet btw - it probably won't give you the closure you're looking for.)
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

not worth your time...I'd walk away
    (note: I was never bullied, but def. had people that pissed me off...still, I would just walk away)
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I'm speaking generally here: The best revenge is living well. As hackneyed as that is, it's true. When you're living well, you're not dwelling on things in the past that are out of your control now and probably were even then. Stop thinking about things that don't matter, move on and live your life.

A lot of you know I was the only white kid in a black neighborhood until 6th grade and was left for dead in a garage beaten up by teenagers. My whole family wanted revenge. 3 of those guys died before ever making it to 20 years old and I am assuming the rest are either in jail or working their way towards it. I got bullied everyday at school until 6th grade when we moved and then was never bullied again. Honestly, I was in school with a ton of ignorant, racist, scum bags who thought it was funny to pick on someone that could not protect himself and neither could any of the teachers. You can say all you want about socioeconomic whatever, I came from the same place and never treated anyone like that when I got the H out of there. Do I want vengeance - not really - there is nothing I can do to those types of people that they aren't going to do to themselves.

In situations like this, no. Like the example above when you see the worthless craps homeless or working terrible jobs, etc, I just smile to myself and think about how much better I am than them.

Now, if we're talking serious things like if someone caused my friend to commit suicide, someone killed my family member, etc. then yes. Vengeance is sweet. Of all the sh**'s i've been taking from when I was young, I only want vengeance on one person, the one that ripped my heart out. But f*** 'em all. 95% of people are worthless anyways.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I wouldn't say I was bullied, mainly because I showed early on that I wouldn't take anyone's ****. In kindergarten there was a kid who would boss us around, but it never got physical. As I got older a couple people tried to start things with me, and they promptly got jacked up against the wall and told I would break their **** off if they ever touched me again.

I likely wouldn't do anything now to the bully if I was bullied, I generally stay out of stuff like that. I wouldn't hesitate to take him down if he tried anything with me still though.

Now if I could go back in time but keep my current size, things would be a lot different in school.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

People who bully are usually either living a dead-end life as a loser or, if they have gotten psychological help, they might be reformed and an actual good person now.

People who bully are usually living a terrible life as is. No reason to rub it in their face.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    The best revenge is to live well.
    Truth. My nickname throughout middle/highschool/still called it by some is my username. RUNTY. Smallest, easiest, weakest target to fight/pick on based on size back in the day. Grew up to be 6'2'' and always said when I get bigger and older I'll be back to beat all your asses. Haven't put on the necessary weight to really be a force, but don't need to. Or care to have that as my motive anymore.

I feel like the confidence that lifting and being healthier in general provides allows me the satisfaction of not only avoiding saps that picked on me(who aren't **** these days) but just looking better in general and basically winning the sexy eye **** battle with his girlfriend/sister at the same time as him losing.

But all things aside. Growing up getting picked on hard gave me a great point of view. I lookout for underdogs, read the fine print, think twice and make sure.

Didn't read the posts before I wrote this, but goddamn Sensei knows what up. Still young but proving **** to people you really dont give a crap about will get you nowhere. Used to rage so much about it, then just stopped, and that weight was lifted.

Also thanks for the heads up on the DD kettlebells, got one en route.
    Last edited by Runty; 11-02-2009 at 01:30 AM.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

I wasn't really bullied except in grade school and that kid apologized to me in high school anyways. The one kid who did mess with me would, when I moved in with my dad, call the house telling my dad he was my drug dealer (he wasn't), telling me that he screwed my mom (he didn't), and that he was going to find me and kill me (never happened) ended up OD'ing anyway. He never gave his name but one day I told him that if he didn't stop calling, I'd come to his house (I knew where he lived because he was a friend of a friend) and shove the phone sideways up his ass. He never called again. Then he died. I win.

The only time I really even consider getting revenge is if someone hurts someone close to me, I could care less what people say about me.

I was bullied some in Jr. High, but less in High school. I say weather the storm unless they attack you physically, then either get bigger and stronger or have a really large friend. I only retaliated a few times, while I was still in school, and made my points to those I retaliated on.

I've never gone to any HS reunions, so I don't see any of them any more (except a few close friends), but I actually ran into one of the guys that bullied me when I was a sophomore. He looked old and not very in-shape. He said I looked familiar and when I said who I was, he was shocked. We chatted a bit and the entire time, I could see in his eyes he was wondering if I'd say anything about how he treated me.

My one comment to him that let him know how things are: "I remember how you used to treat me in high school. Fortunately for you, I'm a forgiving person or you'd be in a world of hurt right now."

He apologized for being that way to me back then. It's all good.

I think dealing with the crap that I did made me a better, stronger person today.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 11-02-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Cant change the past buddy, your best bet is to move on with your life and keep bettering yourself, the ultimate revenge will be served cold later in life if you guys ever meet up and your doing well and they are doing like ****
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

When I was younger, all my friends were nerds. No lie. I was the kid that beat up the bullies.

Did it make school more endurable going that route? Eh, I don't think so. Highschool was so long ago. Hard to remember.

Most of the people who thought they were so cool in highschool live for those glory days and can't seem to move on. Their lives suck. I however like mine.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I was a bully target in elementary school, not fat or skinny or anything really... just too god damn naive and afraid to do anything. Kids like that just glow to bullies. I MORE than made up for my weaknesses come junior high, and by high school i was the badass. There was one guy in particular that just needed a severe ****-kicking. No, he needed killing, really. He didn't do much to me personally, but he was a world class piece ov ****. Still is. He was always stronger and faster, better trained (into MA and lifting, since he was 8) and just far meaner than anyone else. He dropped out in grade 8 and started logging around then, seriously. He made a lot ov money, got in a lot ov fights and was just generally all that his 80 IQ would allow him to be. He now lives four houses down from me and has a wonderful coke habit to go with his alcoholism. He's still the 180lbs he was when he was 16 and is justifiably terrified ov me.

I'm not even gonna think about doing anything to that guy, he's been done as a human being since he was 10. We're friendly, have been for a while, but since i started lifting and my subsequent 55lb weight gain, combined with his awesome drug-fueled paranoia, the guy avoids me like the swine flu, probably for the few minor things he did do to me. No vengeance here, no need, but if that guy ever even raised a fist at me i'd probably end his miserable life in seconds. Thats the wonderful thing about decades ov shelved rage...

95% ov the time you cant do anything to a bully he hasn't already done to himself. They are not even worth the consideration.