Thread: Any point in doing SS at this stage?

Wannabebig Member

Any point in doing SS at this stage?

I've been reading a lot about Rippertoe and this routine, etc. and I'm really interested in it. I know SS is designed for beginners, but I've been training since February of this year. (Been doing a Push/Pull routine for the most part, training primarily for hypertrophy, and I've seen really good gains).

So would there be much benefit in starting SS at this stage in my training?

My lifts are as follows:
    Deadlift - 160kg
    Bench - 105kg
    Squat - 90kg

Bodyweight - 97kg

Any thoughts appreciated!

Go for it. You need to level out your bench:squat #s and that routine should do it. Worst case scenario: you stall a couple of times and switch to TM.
    Sarvamangalam!

SS has you increase the weight every single workout. That is the fastest way possible to increase the weight of your lifts. Beginners are able to do this, and more advanced lifters are not. It is for that reason why it is known as a "Beginners routine".

That should answer your question.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

It can also be looked at as a foundation routine. You can revisit it for short periods to make sure your foundation is increasing. In your case, it will help even out any imbalances you might have.

You can also look at it as a squat specialization routine. Since your squat seems to be lagging a bit, working hard on squats for a while might be just what you need to bring it up.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know why my squat is so poor compared to my other lifts, but it's probably to do with the fact that I have pretty bad knees (always have) and perhaps this has affected me psychologically, made me afraid to push for heavy weights, etc. I'm not the kind of guy to make excuses, but that's simply the reason, not an excuse.

My only question about SS though, (far be it from me to question Rippetoe but here goes!) is as follows - my biceps have always tended to lag behind my other body parts in terms of mass, and correct me if I'm wrong but the only time the biceps will ever get worked on SS is from the Deads, and even then you're only doing one set of them. Will my bicep development suffer as a result of this? Bearing in mind my primary goal is hypertrophy.

Do chinups with the program.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member shutUpAndSquat's Avatar
    you also do rows and powercleans, in addition to the chin-ups already mentioned, that in some way work your biceps. Ok, not a body-builder-style of training your biceps, but i found my biceps are ok even with no curls in my routine. you can always do barbell curls if you really need to train your biceps, even Rippetoe in SS says he explains how to do barbell curls because people is going to do them anyway, so...
    my texas method training log

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shutUpAndSquat View Post
    you also do rows and powercleans, in addition to the chin-ups already mentioned, that in some way work your biceps. Ok, not a body-builder-style of training your biceps, but i found my biceps are ok even with no curls in my routine. you can always do barbell curls if you really need to train your biceps, even Rippetoe in SS says he explains how to do barbell curls because people is going to do them anyway, so...
    Rows and chin-ups in SS? I wasn't aware of this, is the standard SS routine not just:

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Workout B
    Squat
    OH Press
    Powerclean

(According to this)?

I thought the general consensus was that adding exercises to SS was a no-no!
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 11-05-2009 at 03:54 PM.

In the eyes of SS Rows are interchangeable with Cleans.

ONLY add more if you can handle recovery. If you can't recover you will be spinning your wheels.
    Sarvamangalam!

I was lifting for over a year before doing Starting Strength (I actually did Practical Programming, which includes pullups/chinups).

I am still doing this and benefiting hugely, even on a cut. My lifts have shot up, and my arms have never been bigger even though there is no direct arm work.

I say you should definately do it, at least to get your squat up. I'm assuming you squat once a week like 3x8 or something? If so then the shock of 3x5 3 times a week will have your squat through the roof

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post

So would there be much benefit in starting SS at this stage in my training?

My lifts are as follows:
    Deadlift - 160kg
    Bench - 105kg
    Squat - 90kg

Bodyweight - 97kg

Any thoughts appreciated!
    You would probably be better off on something a bit more advanced than Starting Strength. 5x5 or 5/3/1 or a basic template that lets you manipulate the intensity of your main exercises, or rotate them in a conjugate fashion. Something like:
    Mon - SQ cycle +assistance
    Wed - Bench cycle +assistance
    Fri - DL cycle +assistance

I used SS when I first started and while I made good gains initially I felt like it wore my down pretty quickly with the 3x a week squatting.
    Last edited by OGROK; 11-05-2009 at 06:03 PM.