Thread: i guess im just a bad guy

Continuously Dangerously

i guess im just a bad guy

I like big trucks, big boats, big houses, and naturally, pretty women. I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some mid level governmental functionary with a bad comb over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies. I don't care about appearing compassionate. I think playing with toy guns doesn't make you a killer. I believe ignoring your kids and giving them Prozac might. I think I'm doing better than the homeless. I don't think being a minority makes you noble or victimized. I have the right not to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird or make me mad. This is my life to live, and not necessarily up to others expectations. I know what SEX is and there are not varying degrees of it. I don't celebrate Kwanzaa. But if you want to that's fine. I believe that if you are selling me a Dairy Queen shake, a pack of cigarettes, or hotel room you do it in English. As of matter of fact, if you are an American citizen you should speak English. My uncles and forefathers shouldn't have had to die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come disrespect ours, and make us bend to your will. Get over it. I think the cops have every right to shoot your sorry butt if you're running from them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the previous line. I don't use the excuse "it's for the children" as a shield for unpopular opinions or actions. I know how to count votes and I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation do a recount when needed. I know what the definition of lying is, and it isn't based on the word "is" - ever. I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you qualify for any special loan programs, gov't sponsored bank loans, etc., so you can open a hotel, 7-Eleven, trinket shop, or any thing else, while the indigenous peoples can't get past a high school education because they can't afford it. I didn't take the initiative in inventing the Internet. I thought the Taco Bell dog was funny. I want them to bring back safe and sane fireworks. I believe no one ever died because of something Ozzy Osbourne, Ice-T or Marilyn Manson sang, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to that crap from someone else's car when I'm stopped at a red light. But I respect your right to. I think that being a student doesn't give you any more enlightenment than working at Blockbuster or Jack In The Box. Our soldiers did not go to some foreign country and risk their lives in vain and defend our Constitution so that decades later you can tell me it's a living document ever changing and is open to interpretation. The guys who wrote it were light years ahead of anyone today, and they meant what they said - now leave the document alone, or there's going to be trouble. I don't hate the rich. I help the poor. I've never owned, or was a slave, and a large percentage of our forefathers weren't wealthy enough to own one either. Please stop blaming me because some prior white people were idiots - and remember, tons of white, Indian, Chinese, and other races have been enslaved too - it was wrong for every one of them. I believe a self-righteous liberal Democrat with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude. I want to know exactly which church is it where the "Reverend" Jessie Jackson preaches; and, what exactly is his job function. I own a gun, you can own a gun, and any red blooded American should be allowed to own a gun, but if you use it in a crime, then you will serve the time. I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it makes you mad, then invent the next operating system that's better and put your name on the building. Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you. I don't believe in hate crime legislation. Even suggesting it makes me mad. You're telling me that someone who is a minority, gay, disabled, another nationality, or otherwise different from the mainstream of this country has more value as a human being than I do as a white male. If someone kills anyone, I'd say that it's a hate crime. We don't need more laws! Let's enforce the ones we already have. I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child - it takes a parent with the guts to stand up to the kid and spank his butt and say "NO!" when it's necessary to do so. I will not be frowned upon or be looked down upon or be made to keep silent because I have these beliefs and opinions. I thought this country allowed me that right. I will not conform or compromise just to keep from hurting somebody's feelings. I'm neither angry nor disenfranchised, no matter how desperately the mainstream media would like the world to believe otherwise. Yes, I guess by some people's definition, I may be a bad guy, But that's tough.

Nobody said you were a bad guy. Nobody says you can't be logic, unemotional, rational, have strong opinions, otherwise espouse any of that long list of things I agree with, etc.

But by posting this, you've obviously gotten the wrong idea.

I take issue with what you say because, in your generalizations, you attempt to make a point. When confronted by people who do not fit these generalizations, you don't realize that your arguments are often destroyed. You call intelligent, strong people "weak and stupid". You call hard working, honest people "trash". Let me ask you, who are you? And what have you done that makes you so damn special that you can judge and condemn everyone else? Absolutely nothing.

You also, in your infinite wisdom, choose to ignore those that have far more experience than yourself.

So you can type your little rant up above, and feel really good about what an individual you are, and what a bunch of sopping wet sheep all your "detractors" are,

Emotionalism isn't good. Compassion is. Because compassion leads to wisdom. You may be educated, you may be intelligent, but you're still ignorant.

None of this changes the fact that you're a d*ck.

Peace.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 04-29-2002 at 11:28 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I have to say I disagree with about 50%. You make some sense especially in terms of everyone should be able to own any gun and that fireworks should be legal.

My big disagreement with you comes from your constitution comment, so who are you exactly to say what the soldiers overseas fought for? I know many ex- soldiers who strongly believe in a living breathing constitution, including myself. what makes you think that the founding fathers, did not intentionaly make the constitution so broad for that very reason. I know from what I have read form Thomas Jefferson and James madison that is exactly there intent to make it a living breathing document. that is why the supreme court has the power of judicail review, John marshall made that clear. Any document must change with the times or it will get old and die, how many people follow the original bible strictly. Bill O'reilly made a good comment of this on how if we followed the old testment and the bible for our laws, we would be executing people for minor crimes and adultery, and we would still have slaves. everything must change.

Wannabebig Member
    [ill take your word for it]

the verbiage was written by ted nugent. i changed about 2 words in it and removed 4 lines.

what have i done? well for starters none of the things that get criticism. ive also never lost control of my life. the stupid things ive done i can fess up to. i dont need to try te explain or reason them away.

i would like to know how compassion, especially forced compassion, leads to wisdom. it sounds like a very profound and smart statement but i dont know about it holding any weight.

as for my "generalizations" not holding any water, eh...matter of opinion. everyone wants to believe theyre the exception. its like internet dating, its pretty lame until you do it, then suddenly your relationship becomes the one that will work out.

nate, the new testament exists for a reason. perhaps you might want to check into it.
    Last edited by codeii; 04-29-2002 at 11:53 PM.

Ah, but assuming that compassion needs to be forced is where the fallacy is.

If someone has been through something painful or difficult, they LEARN from that experience. Now, whether or not you want to live through that experience, how do you learn to avoid it? By scorning/minimizing those who have been there? Or by admitting that bad things, even self-destructive, "weak" things can happen to almost ANYBODY. (And I DO believe that)

My issue with some of your previous posts, codei, is that I think you think I've been trying to get you to feel sorry for people. This is not the case. I just want you to perhaps see others' point of view, and for you not to discard their experiences out of hand, because you believe you're 'beyond' whatever they've been through.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 04-29-2002 at 11:56 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Originally posted by codeii

as for my "generalizations" not holding any water, eh...matter of opinion. everyone wants to believe theyre the exception. its like internet dating, its pretty lame until you do it, then suddenly your relationship becomes the one that will work out.
    At the risk of sounding utterly juvenile... lol

1600 SAT, go to Duke, 460 for 7 squat, 12 years of martial arts. I'm not stupid, I'm not weak.

This is what I mean. If you knew me, spoke to me in real life, saw me, heard my opinions, etc., you might not be inclined to say to my face "You're weak and stupid". Likewise, if you knew Jane or her family, you might not be so willing to call them "trash". It's well and good to make generalizations, but now you're accountable to them.

Wannabebig Member
    1600 SAT, go to Duke, 460 for 7 squat, 12 years of martial arts. I'm not stupid, I'm not weak.
    and fell prey to something as silly as an eating disorder. i just dont understand. and yes i did call it silly. really, are they not?

This is what I mean. If you knew me, spoke to me in real life, saw me, heard my opinions, etc., you might not be inclined to say to my face "You're weak and stupid".
    of course not, i dont want to be pounded any more than anyone else.

Likewise, if you knew Jane or her family, you might not be so willing to call them "trash".
    i had the unfortunate experience of speaking to her. we'll just let this topic go.

Ah, but assuming that compassion needs to be forced is where the fallacy is.
    the welfare topic for example.. is welfare not forced compassion? but since the thread is closed ill let this go too.

Or by admitting that bad things, even self-destructive, "weak" things can happen to almost ANYBODY. (And I DO believe that)
    i disagree. these things happen because people let them. for example, i think being a junkie is weak. do you agree? do you think if you kept your mind and activities in check theres really any chance you'd become one?

i dont necessarily think youre trying to make me feel sorry for people but it does seem like no matter what their reason/excuse, theyre the automatic expert.

I agree with Belial.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Ah good, now we're getting somewhere.

About the EDs, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Perfectionism is a trait often associated with them, people with ED's often possess tremendously strong willpower, and their convictions are extremely hard to shake. The view of many "experts" who have worked with people with EDs completely contradicts your "weak and stupid" comment. In fact, they are often quite the opposite. This is what I take issue with, since I don't believe I am either. And I don't believe many of the people I have worked with are. They realize the path may be self-destructive, but many strong, intelligent people knowingly engage in self-destructive behavior.

Not to turn this thread into another ED discussion, I think that's played out. But this was my chief contention. I don't believe EDs are silly. I didn't "fall prey to it". I never claimed victim status. We can address this elsewhere, since some is quite personal.

Jane's a good girl, I just think you guys rubbed each other the wrong way on several threads. We won't touch that one.

I didn't mean, in real life, I would pound you (Though the thought has occurred to me). I simply meant that, knowing someone, it is harder to make generalizations about them. (Especially if what you know about them flies in the face of your preconceived notions, which you developed based on a single trait, event, or action)

Codei, I'm with you on most of the welfare ideas. So I won't argue that. I was taking issue with your method of dialogue, nothing else.

As for your last point... Yes, it's hard to understand, it's hard to believe. But, ask anybody who has actually WORKED with alcoholics, junkies, anorexics, or addicts of any sort. They DO share common characteristics. However, a weak personality is NOT one of them. Don't take my word for it. Plenty has been written on this, and everything I've seen, heard, ...and been through has confirmed this.

it doesnt matter what i think, i am considered a "bad guy" on the dub-bee-bee
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Wannabebig Member
    i only have one contention..

Originally posted by Belial
    They realize the path may be self-destructive, but many strong, intelligent people knowingly engage in self-destructive behavior.
    im not trying to be smart but i honest to god fail to see how thats not stupid. if you f*cking KNOW something is destructive, how is doing it not stupid? and admittedly thats somewhat of a harsh word, so replace it with ridiculous or contradictory.

If you believe that the end is worth suffering, or even dying for. I don't know enough about the real psychology of addiction in all its forms to do justice to that question, though. I wouldn't want to try, and fall short.

Just so this isn't a cop out...

It's never that black and white. When was the last time that having a single beer was destructive, stupid, and lethal?

Maybe eating just a little bit less, or getting just a little bit more ripped could be tolerated. One more shot of rum won't kill me. A single cigarette helps me unwind. Weed isn't addictive.

I can't speak for drug addiction, I've never worked with any addicts, or studied that field much. Physiological addictions aside, it's a question of what's important to someone. To the person with an ED, not eating becomes central to his or her life. The thin body isn't seen in the mind's eye as unhealthy. If someone heavier than they were to say "You idiot, can't you see you're killing yourself", the person with the ED might say "Just because you can't control your eating doesn't mean everyone's as weak as you are".

Ridiculous? maybe to us. Contradictory? Not really. perfectionism, drive, dedication, traits that are generally seen as positive, and signs of strength/intelligence... these can apparently be pejoratives as well. Stupid? Only in the sense that self-destruction isn't something that can be rationalized by normally functioning human beings. (Another generalization).

Now, I'm sick as hell, so I need to shower and go to bed. I'll be interested to see what kind of dialogue happens here.

Good night.

Wannabebig Member
    this sounds more like an issue of distorted views.

people who starve themselves are "stronger" than me in the sense that they have more willpower. but who is the stupid one, me who eats or them who kill themselves?

its like bill maher saying the 911 terrorists werent cowards. well... they werent, but theyre also not the traditional definition of "not cowardly".

like you said, they can justify it every which way, but sane people say/know otherwise. and i would place more significance on what the sane say. and just because they give a justification does that mean its valid? every foolish act can be "backed up" with some excuse or another but we dont necessarily buy into it.

i think youre more concerned with the details. im more concerned with the bottom line. 'i did [destructive behavior] because of this this and this'. imo it doesnt matter why, its still destructive and the reasons dont change that.

this sounds more like an issue of distorted views.

people who starve themselves are "stronger" than me in the sense that they have more willpower. but who is the stupid one, me who eats or them who kill themselves?

its like bill maher saying the 911 terrorists werent cowards. well... they werent, but theyre also not the traditional definition of "not cowardly".

like you said, they can justify it every which way, but sane people say/know otherwise. and i would place more significance on what the sane say. and just because they give a justification does that mean its valid? every foolish act can be "backed up" with some excuse or another but we dont necessarily buy into it.

i think youre more concerned with the details. im more concerned with the bottom line. 'i did [destructive behavior] because of this this and this'. imo it doesnt matter why, its still destructive and the reasons dont change that.
    You seemingly have a very black and white view of people and the world and I think that this in itself may be distorted.

Codei expresses one of the most common forms of ignorance in society.

You Fell; I Was Pushed

Codei has fallen victim to the Fundamental Attribution Error.

We have a strong tendency to attribute others' behaviour to internal (dispositional) causes even when strong external (situational) factors that might have influenced their behaviour are present. To reduce this error Codei, always try to put yourself in the shoes of the person whose behavior you are trying to explain. In other words, try to see the world through their eyes. If you do, you will often realize that from their perspective there are many external factors that played a role in their behavior and situation, and perhaps you may understand that there are many points of view, and one is just one of millions..

A simple example:

Imagine that while walking along the street, you see someone stumble and fall down. How would you explain this behavior? Probably in terms of internal characteristics. Codei would assume this person is clumsy. Now, suppose the same thing happens to codei; would he explain his own behavior in the same terms? From the sound of it, definitely NOT. Instead he would assume he tripped because of situational causes- wet pavement, slippery shoes, etc, when in FACT, it would be because he has underdeveloped calves.

Its an Actor-observer Effect, the tendency to attribute our own behavior mainly to situational causes but the behavior of others mainly to internal (dispositional) causes.

But I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know Codei, since you could have learned that working at Jack-In-the-Box. Right?

Word.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Wannabebig Member
    given your socialist viewpoints of other posts ill only bother to respond once w/thats a nice try but hardly a parallel example. tripping on the sidewalk and becoming an addict can be compared? right.

try again little one. actually, dont.
    Last edited by codeii; 04-30-2002 at 01:09 AM.

given your socialist viewpoints of other posts ill only bother to respond once w/thats a nice try but hardly a parallel example. tripping on the sidewalk and becoming an addict can be compared? right.
    I tried to make a simple example so you could understand what I was trying to say. Obviously, it wasn't simple enough.

"The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Wannabebig Member
    ironic. the problem is it was too simple, to the point of being retarded and irrelevant.

but not surprising. rush and labatt are the only worthwhile things to come from canada.
    Last edited by codeii; 04-30-2002 at 01:12 AM.

I am getting out of here...

I thought it was a damn good example he gave.

Mystic Eric
    ironic. the problem is it was too simple, to the point of being retarded and irrelevant.

but not surprising. rush and labatt are the only worthwhile things to come from canada.
    What in the blue hell? Listen you piece of trailor park trash, you can sit behind your little computer and act all tough and spew out all this crap that you want, but since everyone is so inferior in your eyes, perhaps you should SHUT THE HELL UP, AND GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!

Perhaps codei(i?) if you would reply to Rasta's claims your argument, or lack thereof, would be better served. I see no purpose in your replies. Maybe if you weren't so cynical about getting an education you would realize that you have commited, *drum roll* an "ad hominem." The "attack against the person" is the most notoriously laughable and intellectually bankrupt style of debate. But hey, they teach all Blockbuster employees this. I hear its even coming out on DVD this fall. I can't wait.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Codei- i dont think you are a bad person, just extremely ignorant.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

boring............

I don't care if you are a bad, nasty, crazy guy or whatever.

When you are on wbb you need to be considerate, and respectfull of others.

Shout the "free speech" routine untill you are blue in the face it just doesn't wash. Remember wbb is FREE to join, and its FREE to leave if people don't like the way its run. The fact that the way it is RUN pleases so many people is an indication it is being run in the right way.

So while you are here please be considerate of others feelings as you post or you will find yourself not being able to post.

Whilst this is slightly directed at codei, it goes for every member here. lets respect others opinions and try not to get into flaming matches.

also the original codei account will be re-instated so please play nice.

Feel free to pm or email be about any problems.

This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 04-30-2002 at 03:53 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal