The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Beginner gear, deads w/ squat suit?

Hey guys. I'm finally looking to get into some gear but I'm curious if I'd get much out of a squat suit when it comes to deads. I pull conventional and my stance is pretty narrow so I'm not sure how much good a suit would do. One of the guys I lift with pulls real similar to me and he said when he wears a squat suit it helps keep his back straight but doesn't do much other than that.

I was originally planning on getting some good briefs and a single ply shirt, but if I could get a few extra pounds on deads out of a suit I'd go that route instead of briefs. As you guys know, this stuff isn't cheap so I can't really afford briefs/suit, shirt, AND a deadlift suit.

Also, I'm sure this gets asked a ton, but what would you guys recommend for a first time shirt and suit/briefs? (single ply for both) Budget is around $300 for now.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    You may be able to pull conventional and squat in a single ply centurion. Some guys used to wear them backwards from what i have read, maybe someone will chime in. This way you would be able to wear it with straps down and pull in it instead of buying briefs and a deadlift suit. Most guys who pull in their squat suit are sumo pullers who pull in wide stance suits, at least from what i have seen. As far as bargains go, you are probably not going to find a better value than a stock single ply F6 or fury. I know their are some people selling the old titan deadlift suits relatively cheap, but you have to look around. The centurion and F6 will cost you about 250. Also check out the classifieds section on Fortified Iron, Powerliftingwatch and check ebay. I buy stuff second hand, sometimes you get really good deals on stuff.

You can pull sumo or semi-sumo in a sqt. suit but you wont get much carry-over w/ conventional stance.

If you can afford it, invest in a Titan velocity DL suit... well worth the money.

As far as shirts, cant go wrong w/ a Titan F6 or Inzer Rage. Both are good shirts.

I would go with a Metal king Conventional Suit. It has Straps and tons of support.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I've pulled in Titan Centurions, Metal V-Type Squatter, and Titan Velocity DL suits. I pull conventional and got about the same carryover in all of them. To me it's just a matter of learning the groove of the suit and practicing in it, no matter what kind you use.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Another vote for the Titan F6 shirt.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I agree with looking for some second hand stuff on some of the other forums....as far as a ssquat suit helping on a conv pull I got bout 30lbs out of a centurin(sp) but get a **** ton out of a metal pro....prolly 75-100lbs. bench shirts an f6 is a great shirt....really easy to learn if your form is solid. I got 100 lbs out of it back a few years ago.

Wannabebig Member
    what size pro DLer are you using, and what size preds/ace suit do you use for the squat? I pull conv with a really close stance, and I have never been able to get any carryover with a dl suit. I just pulled 600 raw 2 weeks ago at a meet at 198, but i've been looking for something that will work since i compete multiply. I wear a 54 ace suit and 36 preds.

Quote Originally Posted by GCPowerlifter View Post
    what size pro DLer are you using, and what size preds/ace suit do you use for the squat? I pull conv with a really close stance, and I have never been able to get any carryover with a dl suit. I just pulled 600 raw 2 weeks ago at a meet at 198, but i've been looking for something that will work since i compete multiply. I wear a 54 ace suit and 36 preds.
    my ace is a 54 and preds are 38 and grid stitched...my deadlift suit is also a 54.....your gear is too looseyou should be in a 33-34 pred and a 48-50 ace suit and prolly a 50 metal dl suit

Wannabebig Member
    i walk around at 220... my hips are 44". I've got a 50 suit, and finally decided that i couldn't move in it with briefs underneath. I just got the 54 ace and hit an easy squat PR. I do agree that smaller gear would be ideal, but i lift better in bigger stuff.

Thanks for all the input so far. I bench with a pretty big arch so the F6 sounds perfect for me.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002