The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: the Iron Game

the Iron Game

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I stuck it here. For the moderators, please put it where you think best.

What books have people here read on the history of the "Iron Game"?

Recently I had an opportunity to get a copy of "The Super Athletes" by David Willoughby, and so I got it. It has a great deal about strength feats, Olympic lifting, and powerlifts, but also has chapters on swimming, sprinting, distance running, even tennis and boxing. Very interesting reading. It went up to about 1967. He has various ways that he compares weight lifters, in their respective bodyweights, their abilities and achievements.

I like reading this kind of thing, I find it fuels my motivation for training, and also there are many helpful thoughts on form of performance of lifts, at least in Calvert and Berry especially.

Books I have read are "Super Strength" by Alan Calvert, a classic book, and George Jowett's "Key to Migiht and Muscle", and I have read quite a bit of John Fair's book "Muscletown USA"(Bob Hoffman and York). Fair's book is quite recent, Calvert and Jowett date back to the 20s or 30s. Jowett might be more recent, he died in 1968, I think.

Another valuable resource is the "Iron Game History" which is put out by folks at the University of Texas at Austin, Terry Todd and Jan Todd spearheaded this, both of them champion powerflifters. This can be found online or by subscription.

Well, I hope this is not too far off topic.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.titanstrengthandpower.com...ng_part_1.html

ken leistner has strong ties to ironmind btw. Not sure if he owns the company or just writes for it or what though.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I liked "Muscletown USA". I gave it to my dad and it brought back a lot of memories of York in the 60s for him.

I enjoyed "West Coast Bodybuilding Scene: The Golden Era" as well.

I read parts of "Super Athletes" - liked it too.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    http://www.titanstrengthandpower.com...ng_part_1.html

ken leistner has strong ties to ironmind btw. Not sure if he owns the company or just writes for it or what though.
    Thanks for the link to Leistner's recollections.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I liked "Muscletown USA". I gave it to my dad and it brought back a lot of memories of York in the 60s for him.

I enjoyed "West Coast Bodybuilding Scene: The Golden Era" as well.

I read parts of "Super Athletes" - liked it too.
    John Fair has a good deal of information in the book "Muscletown USA", must have taken quite a long time to do all of the interviews and reading of old records that he did.

The book that I like is Brooks Kubik's "Legacy of Iron", which has more of the feel of York and the camaraderie that there was, which breathed in the pages of Strength & Health and Muscular Development. It would have been fine to go visit York in its good days. I just read the magazines, used York weights and took Energol and that Vitamin C complex liquid, and the chocolate Hi Proteen. I liked the taste, I know some didn't.

There is more that John Fair wrote, which was in the original manuscript of the book "Muscletown", but the publisher wanted it shortened, and so Fair published the rest, I understand, in the University of Texas at Austin's/Profs.Todd's production Iron Game History. There are many articles on the early history of American weightlifting as a sport in that History, which I am planning to purchase some time, as the wallet permits.

I am thinking that I will obtain Chapman's book on Sandow some time too.