Thread: Chicago-area Gym Recommendations

Chicago-area Gym Recommendations

It looks like I may be getting transferred to Chicago and I wanted to get some thoughts on gyms. I will be living in Buffalo Grove-Deerfield area. I have been to PL watch plenty and didn't see anything within a reasonable distance to there so I will settle for the best I can get. Thanks.

Team Stone @ Velocity Sports in Willowbrook, Jakked Hardcore in Montgomery, Frantz in Aurora. Team Zenzen(Dick Zenzen) & the Iron Gladiators(Tommy Harrison & Robert Vick) is in that area also, but not sure of the exact location.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Check out Jacked Hardcore GYm in Montgomery IL. I did a seminar there a couple weeks ago. This gym has everything you would ever need for any sport with a sick intense atmosphere.

Thanks guys. I may look at some of those places for weekend training, but during the week I was hoping to find something that was closer by. Otherwise my options appear to be some Fitness 19 and the park district fitness center. Both of which scare me

The gyms everyone mentioned are definitely awesome, I've been to Jakked Hardcore and Velocity myself. If you're looking for something closer to the Buffalo Grove area, check out the Xsport Fitness in Arlington Heights (it used to be a Powerhouse Gym). It's more of a commercial gym, but I used to see some serious bodybuilders and powerlifters training there a few years back. The rates aren't bad either.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Yes, there is Quad's on the north side (on N. Clark St.), but even closer would be B & W Gym. I know there are several very strong guys that train there that would be great to train with (two of my friends train there).

It's at 5920 N. Ridge Avenue on the very north edge of Chicago.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/b-and-w-gym-chicago
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig New Member
    Lance Karabel also has a gym in Chicago on 3636 S Iron St. It may be a bit far for you but it may be worth a look. It's a very hardcore gym atmosphere. I have also been to two of his meets and there usually a decent turn out.

sounds like chi town is a powerlifters dream

Buffalo grove? Thats about an hour outside of Chicago with traffic If I'm not mistaken. What does this mean? Thats the suburbs man, not Chicago! XD

I've been to Lance's gym and he's a super nice guy. The place has a very hardcore atmosphere, strong dudes, with good equipment. Its probably a good hour - hour and half away from where you are though maybe less if you go when there is very little traffic. B &W is sort of a cave, though also has some strong dudes there. Bit closer to where you live. I've been to two raw meets there also. Keep in mind, both of these places are essentially in the middle of nowhere. Scary even. Lance's has all sorts of barbed wire, old warehouses, and loud, barking dogs all around. B&W you can barely tell you're at--I'm fairly certain its in the basement of an apartment complex. Never been to Quads, though a close friend of mine did, and he actually got to meet Ed Coan. Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    sounds like chi town is a powerlifters dream
    Haha it is if you have a car! Despite living relatively close to lance's gym, I've only been there once cause its such a pain to get there by public transportation.
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 11-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Yeah I lived in Chicago before and trained at this place in the city called Rock Hard gym. Great place, hles in the floor I have been to Lance's before when I was in the city, but most of these places are way too far in a normal day. And yes, I am biting the bullet living in the suburbs

Another option, depending what part of Chicago... Monster Garage Gym in Waukegean.
    www.monstergaragegym.com
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Well, coming from Buffalo Grove, your only options for hardcore gyms that are relatively close are the B&W Gym and Quads on the north side of Chicago, Leaning Tower YMCA in Niles, and that Monster Garage Gym that mikesbench mentioned. All are about the same distance from you.
    Last edited by Guido; 11-05-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle