Thread: The SS workout.

Wannabebig Member

The SS workout.

How long should I do the SS workout for? I have just started doing it but would like to move onto something else later on.

After you've stalled and cycled back a few times.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    After you've stalled and cycled back a few times.
    What does that mean? Also please can tell me how much weight to lift and do I need to add extra for each lift. Sorry I'm new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by poshbird View Post
    What does that mean? Also please can tell me how much weight to lift and do I need to add extra for each lift. Sorry I'm new to this.
    Do you own the book?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteO View Post
    Do you own the book?
    No not yet but surley someone can explain it to me a bit more than what it says in the sticky.

The sticky is pretty straight forward in addressing those topics. Read the TM sticky for more depth on progression and stalling. Additionally, there have been numerous threads addressing this exact topic, so Id check out some search results.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-16-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Why would you want to move onto something different. I love being able to add weight to the bar every time I work out. I plan to ring every last pound I can out of SS before I move to a different routine.

I benched 190 last night missed my last rep, and the only reason I missed the last rep is because on rep 4 I lost tension in my shoulders. If you had told me 4 weeks ago that I would be benching 190 for reps I would have laughed at you. I can't weight to hit 225 for reps.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    If you had told me 4 weeks ago that I would be benching 190 for reps I would have laughed at you. I can't weight to hit 225 for reps.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean!!
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    Why would you want to move onto something different. I love being able to add weight to the bar every time I work out. I plan to ring every last pound I can out of SS before I move to a different routine.

I benched 190 last night missed my last rep, and the only reason I missed the last rep is because on rep 4 I lost tension in my shoulders. If you had told me 4 weeks ago that I would be benching 190 for reps I would have laughed at you. I can't weight to hit 225 for reps.
    You should have this kind of attitude. Quit worrying about what you are going to do after SS when you haven't even started SS yet. It's this kind of thinking that sets people up to hop from program to program to program and make very little progress.

This is directly from the sticky -
    How to progress:

You progress by adding weight to the bar every single time you are in the gym. The amount of weight you add to the bar will vary depending on a number of things including: sex, age, weight, diet, experience, etc. General guidelines for a healthy man would be to add:

5-20lbs to the deadlift
    5-15lbs to the squat
    2.5-5lbs to the bench press, overhead press and powerclean (Most gyms do not have weights that allow you to progress in 2.5lbs increments, so you will have to experiment with microloading. Visit you local hardware store and get creative with chains or washers in order to make smaller weights.)

Big jumps will be easiest for complete beginners. As you progress on the routine your progress will slow and it will be necessary to make smaller jumps. It is better to be overly conservative than overly aggressive with your increases.

Once you are unable complete the prescribed reps for a couple of workouts in a row you will benefit from a deload. Decrease the weight of your work sets by approximately 20lbs and work your way back up, restarting your progress.

Depending on your experience, you should be able to progress on this routine for several months. Once you are no longer able to complete the prescribed reps and increase the weight from workout to workout, even after a couple of deloads, the routine has run its course and you are no longer considered a novice weight lifter.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

SS is the kinda thing you dont really want to move on from, but rather have to - after a few weeks you will grow to get addicted to watching your numbers go up like magic provided you sleep like a baby and eat like a horse

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice .