Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Day at the Gym

Favorite Day at the Gym

Everyone has a favorite day at the gym. A favorite workout, favorite bodypart to train or just a favorite movement.

As a bodybuilder in the past, mine was actually leg day. Legs are so much fun. You can beat them a thousand different ways. I'd start with squatting, then move to stiff legged pulls, over to leg curls, back to lunges, ending with extensions.

Each time it was fun to come up with a slightly more totureous way of screaming at my legs to grow than the last week.

I treat my bench workouts like that nowadays.

So what do you guys look forward to each week? Which bodypart to you enjoy pushing yourself to the max each week?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I look forward to the squat day on the third week of my 5/3/1 program. That's the day I really push the max reps, always shooting for 20. That's the make-or-break day for the whole month of workouts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well I have a deadlift, squat, bench, and oh press day. I'm gonna have to say deadlift day is my favorite.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Bench day, specifically DE bench day. I usually do this on Saturday mornings when I have unlimited time, so I can really push the volume and have some fun.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I would have to say that my favorite day is my Chest and back day. My back is my favorite part of my body hands down. And the day i could make my pecks bounce i was just amazed.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Squat day
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Deadlift day. Easy pick.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Vertical pulling/pushing.

EDIT: To clarify

I love pull-ups. I can't get enough of them. Whether I'm adding weight or just going for max reps, I love them. I'm also growing fond of OH pressing and its variants.

I'm not good at squats, I can't bench or ****. Save DL, vertical pulling and pushing provides the most enjoyment for me when I train.
    Last edited by Progress; 11-05-2009 at 08:55 PM.

LOL what about your favorite days do you guys like so much?

Why do you enjoy working said bodypart/movement

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    back day
    bench day
    no reason in particular for these, i just enjoy them.

as far as favourite day is friday because nobody is around

LuNa
    Deadlift day. I love the way my whole body feels after a heavy set of deadlifts. I had a great deadlift last Wednesday. After my three sets of five following 5/3/1, i did five sets of 10 reps. After two sets i was sweating like never before, breathing heavier than any 20 set squats i have done and i was feeling amazing.

The feeling of pure happiness after those five sets resulted in me having one of the best days in a long time.

I love the fight to get all 20 reps in the squat. It is as much a mental battle as it is a physical one. And when I'm done, I know I've done something that will force my body to grow bigger and stronger.
    Last edited by Off Road; 11-05-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Squat day. Which looks like:

Squat: 5x5
    Dips: 5x5
    Calf raise: 2x5

It's my favourite at the moment because recently (since I changed my sets/reps) my squats have been going up each week. If you ask in the future at a time when my squat may have plateuaed I'll probably say something different.
    Last edited by tom183; 11-05-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Travis,
    My favorite day of the week is bench day and part of this stems from being an awful bencher. While my numbers don't show it, squats and deadlifts, when dedicated, fly through the roof hour while this doesn't seem to be the case with bench. It's the lift that I've spent countless hours trying to perfect my form and within the past year everything has started to fall into place. It sounds cliche, but to each their own.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I like deadlifts because I get to move heavier weights, it makes me feel strong haha

Recovery day! LOL!

Some weeks I don't sleep much and I feel beaten up to all hell, it feels soooo nice to get some blood moving around the muscles. Thursday night with the whole crew is pretty fun too, so much bull**** gets dribbled.

I love deadlifts, because they are the most testosterone-packed, balls-to-the-wall, bada** lift you could possibly do, IMO. I feel my heart start beating fast due to the adreniline when I'm about to do that last and heaviest set of the day. I chalk up my hands and the bar, and then I bend down to grip the bar with crazy amping thoughts running through my head as an attempt to psyche myself up.

Since I'm doing the 5/3/1, every last set of the main lift is an all out rep max set, so not only am I doing relatively heavy weight, I am shooting for max reps....that s*** is fun! After doing like 6 reps, and then forcing myself to get one more rep....damn that's a good feeling. It's cool after I'm done to have most of the other guys in the gym looking at me like there's something wrong with me, because I'm doing a "weird" lift.

Plus the way my back feels after doing deads is pretty sweet too. Talk about feeling strong as s***. After a heavy, all out rep max set of deads, I feel like I have the "imaginary lat syndrome", except my back really does feel that big afterwards.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

At first I thought, there must be something really wrong with me, I have never really had a favorite day.

After giving it a little more thought I realize my favorite day is "Back Day". Not because I like working it more or there is a favorite exercise. Because I walk away after its done. I suffered from a bad back for 20 years. I got so bad that I could not even bend over and touch my knees and I could not pick anything up off the floor unless I knelt down and then I had to use something to pull myself back up. Now I do deadlifts and Tbar rows and have no problems from them or any other back exercises I do like, Good Mornings and stiff legged deads. "Back Day" Thrills me.

ME lower

heavy squats are my favorite b/c I love the feeling of pushing myself one more rep until I can't move anymore..
    heavy deads are also top notch, I love how my back feels afterwards..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Modding My Bod
    My Favorite is the Squat/Bench/Deadlift of SS. I hate powercleans lol.

Any OLY movement focused day.
    Sarvamangalam!

I like my upper body, back day. As much as I love squatting a huge number, I like getting a big pump and walking out all jacked and ****. It's fun because people think your just some fatass that can lift alot (as a powerlifter), but then when you get in there and do a ton of high rep work, it brings out the JACK! and people say WTF!
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    ME lower

heavy squats are my favorite b/c I love the feeling of pushing myself one more rep until I can't move anymore..
    heavy deads are also top notch, I love how my back feels afterwards..
    This is me, as well.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

My favourite day is bench, although it used to be deadlift day.

I really want to put some weight on my bench so I look forward to each day I go in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    So what do you guys look forward to each week?
    ME benching with the group on Saturday morning.

Which bodypart to you enjoy pushing yourself to the max each week?
    Lately, this is without a doubt squatting.

LOL what about your favorite days do you guys like so much?
    I like the atmosphere that training in a group of strong people creates. I like how being one of the weakest ones in the group motivates me to become better than I currently am. I like seeing everybody getting stronger together.

Why do you enjoy working said bodypart/movement
    Because squatting heavy makes me feel really good. It makes me feel like I accomplished something.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.