Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress

Looking fantastic in here man!!! Amazing consistency and all around effort.
    Sarvamangalam!

^ thanks for the nice words.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Subbing to your journal. Gotta keep each other motivated right?
    no doubt! subbed to yours as well.

Friday 12/11
    rest

Saturday 12/12
    rest

Sunday 12/13
    went into the back country and built a ski jump. spent 4 hours at 10,000 ft hiking with gear in 3+ft deep snow, shoveling, etc. was one of the toughest workouts, cardio-wise, that i've had in a while. a good bit of my body was sore this morning (and i haven't been getting too sore from lifting).

Monday 12/14 Morning weight: 200lbs
    Squat: 235lbs, 3x5
    DB Bench: 70lbs, 7,7,5
    Deadlift: 230lbs, 1x5
    Abs - decline sit-ups, 25lb weight, 3x13
    Treadmill: jog, 1% incline, 1 mile in 11:30

pretty disappointed with today's workout, mainly the bench. my goal was 3x7, but couldn't get it. only a total increase of 1 rep versus last week. not sure if i was just tired from yesterday's trip or what. i'm still increasing in squats but the weight is coming up slower and slower each session.
    Last edited by feardaram; 12-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Good workout. I wouldn't feel bad after all that work you did yesterday. That was bound to wear you down.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Tuesday 12/15
    rest

Wednesday 12/16
    BB Shoulder Press: 115lbs, 5,5,4
    BB Rows: 140lbs, 3x5
    Abs - weighted sit ups, 25lbs, 3x12 alternating left twist, right twist, regular
    Treadmill - jog, 1% incline, 1 mile in 10:10

so after watching a bunch of squat videos on here i was a little worried that my depth might not be sufficient, that i might be increasing weight a little fast and compensating by lack of depth. i train on my own and it's hard to tell in the mirror (i'm typically looking up anyway). i decided this session to make sure i was going down pretty much as far as i could rather than worrying about a weight increase. i don't want to end up thinking i'm getting decently strong, only to find out i'm a half squatter! i'm not sure if i wasn't going down far enough before, but i was definitely able to go a little deeper, and it was a real killer. legs were pure jello when i was done.

on a related note, my left knee is swollen on the inside/upper part, sorta where it gets fleshy. the knee feels very tight, i'm currently icing with a bag of frozen tater tots. there is no pain to it, just tightness. it started as soon as i began my first "heavy" set. i've felt some minor aches in this area after some previous workouts but it wasn't ever this drastic. hoping it goes away.

i added 1 total rep to my shoulder press, sort of disappointing. it probably didn't help that i was totally drained from the squats. i bet this will be my first area needing a deload.

changed my form on the rows as well after watching more videos. i bent over more and widened my grip. this seemed to target my back better. also, and maybe it was because of the squats, but i really felt it in the hammys as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    Tuesday 12/15
    rest

Wednesday 12/16
    BB Shoulder Press: 115lbs, 5,5,4
    BB Rows: 140lbs, 3x5
    Abs - weighted sit ups, 25lbs, 3x12 alternating left twist, right twist, regular
    Treadmill - jog, 1% incline, 1 mile in 10:10

so after watching a bunch of squat videos on here i was a little worried that my depth might not be sufficient, that i might be increasing weight a little fast and compensating by lack of depth. i train on my own and it's hard to tell in the mirror (i'm typically looking up anyway). i decided this session to make sure i was going down pretty much as far as i could rather than worrying about a weight increase. i don't want to end up thinking i'm getting decently strong, only to find out i'm a half squatter! i'm not sure if i wasn't going down far enough before, but i was definitely able to go a little deeper, and it was a real killer. legs were pure jello when i was done.

on a related note, my left knee is swollen on the inside/upper part, sorta where it gets fleshy. the knee feels very tight, i'm currently icing with a bag of frozen tater tots. there is no pain to it, just tightness. it started as soon as i began my first "heavy" set. i've felt some minor aches in this area after some previous workouts but it wasn't ever this drastic. hoping it goes away.

i added 1 total rep to my shoulder press, sort of disappointing. it probably didn't help that i was totally drained from the squats. i bet this will be my first area needing a deload.

changed my form on the rows as well after watching more videos. i bent over more and widened my grip. this seemed to target my back better. also, and maybe it was because of the squats, but i really felt it in the hammys as well.
    On squat depth: What helped me when i decided to completely revamp my squat technique was to sit sideways to a mirror, go all the way down til your parallel (use mirror to check) and hold that spot, drive your elbows into your inner thighs and hold that position (rip talks about this in SS). Once you are sure you are in the proper position close your eyes and really think about how it feels. I still do this before each workout to make sure its implanted in my brain.

Dont worry about your standing overhead presses too much, they are usually the first thing to stall on SS. just reset on your presses and smash through the plateau.

And on row techniquie, that is perfect! thats exactly how i do them...wide grip (index finger beyond power ring), back parallel to floor and a good stretch in hamstrings. That has worked the best for me as far as strength carryover to other lifts.

on the squats... so i assume you are going down with no weight, to get the feel for depth, right? i really need to buy the book.

Just read your journal man,well done im very impressed with how youve got on with SS.

Keep it up
    The picture in my Profile reminds me why I need to do this !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    on the squats... so i assume you are going down with no weight, to get the feel for depth, right? i really need to buy the book.
    yep. go down with no weight, look in the mirror and make sure your form is correct, and just stay down there and really feel it in your mind.

I wannabebig!
    you might want to look straight ahead or even down when squatting instead of looking up... keeps your head in a more neutral position

Thursday 12/17
    rest

Friday 12/18
    Squat: 240lbs, 3x5
    DB Bench: 70lbs, 7,7,6
    Deadlift: 235lbs, 1x5

the advice given above really helped, i found a nice comfort level at what i believe is parallel on my squat. only added 1 total rep on the bench but i made sure each and every rep was deep (DB touching outside of my chest). i want to make absolutely sure every gain i make is really an increase, not cheating.

Nice job trying to fix things.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

^ not sure how you find time to seemingly post in every journal, but your encouragement is valued!

Saturday 12/19
    rest

Sunday 12/20
    slow 2 mile jog outside

Monday 12/21 Morning weight: 203.5lbs, FML
    Squat: 245lbs, 3x5
    BB Shoulder Press: 115lbs, 5,5,3
    BB Rows: 145lbs, 3x5
    Abs - weighted sit ups, 35lbs, 3x10 twisting left and right at the top
    Treadmill - jog, 1% incline, 1 mile in 10:40

squats felt heavy. almost missed locking out the final rep of the last set. starting to get the feeling of hip drive out of the hole (lifting with my tail bone). will stick with 245 next time.

missed my press for the 3rd session in a row now, and even regressed 1 overall rep. time for a deload. subtract 10-20% of the weight and start over?

cheated on my last few reps of the row, got my body a little high to help with leverage. will for sure stick with this weight next time.

in terms of dropping weight, at least on the scale, it isn't working. i think this weight was a bit of a fluke (i weigh myself every morning and hadn't seen more than 201 every other weigh in), but still.... i can't really believe i'm eating too much to cut fat but apparently i am.

Haha...I only pick about ten journals to post in. I pick guys that are training hard on systems that I believe in.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Tuesday 12/22
    light 2 mile jog outside

Wednesday 12/23
    DB Bench: 70lbs, 3x7
    Deadlift: 245lbs, 1x5
    Abs - decline sit-ups, 35lb weight, 2x15
    Last edited by feardaram; 12-23-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Thursday 12/24 and Friday 12/25
    rest

Saturday 12/26
    OH Press: 105lbs, 3x5
    BB Row: 145lbs, 1x5, 135lbs, 2x5
    abs: decline weighted situps, 35lbs, 2x10

245 is starting to feel manageable on squats. went ahead and did a deload on the press (down 10 lbs), felt nice and easy. i cheated on basically every row rep at 145lbs, made a decision to bump down to 135 and do it with good form. not sure what was going on previously or how i convinced myself to go up to 145, but i'm not even close to rowing 145 properly.

Sunday 12/27
    rest
    Last edited by feardaram; 12-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Monday 12/28 Morning weight: 204
    Bench Press: 155lbs 2x5, 165lbs 1x5
    Deadlift: 250lbs 2x5
    Squat: 225lbs 1x5, 185lbs 2x5

a clusterfck of a workout. someone started using the only rack right when i got there so i decided to bench first. i also decided to switch over to regular ol BB bench press. messed around with some of the weights, none really felt super heavy but it did feel weird. will probably start next time with 160lbs. moved on to DL because the rack was still in use. 250 felt so good i had to do another set.

moved right into squats and i was absolutely drained by that point. also realized that i'm STILL not going deep enough. i basically need to go all the way down to where i've had the pins set... so that's my new goal, to tap the pins with each rep. definitely was a lot harder, i could barely complete a set at 225 and said screw it, went down to 185 and finished up. this means i've been progressing too fast, adding weight when i really can't handle it. it's a bit of a hit to the ego, but i'll probably have to drop down to 200-225lbs to get deep enough to tap the pins.

Deadlifts will definately kill the squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

for sure.

Tuesday 12/29
    Treadmill: jog, 1% incline, 2.3 miles in 25 minutes, including warmup

Wednesday 12/30
    Squat: 205lbs, 3x5
    DB OH Press: 45lbs, 3x5
    BB Row: 135lbs, 3x5
    ABs: weighted situps, 35lbs, 12x2
    Treadmill: jog, 1% incline, 1 mile in 10:05

It's amazing how getting just a few inches deeper in your squats can really lessen the weight you can handle. Woowee I feel weak. The pins are set right to about upper thigh/crotch height and I tapped each rep on the pins. All the BBs were being used after squats so I did DB OH Press, I'm working back up from a deload and was easily able to complete the reps.

Don't worry about it...the strength comes back quickly after getting used to the new depth. Nice session BTW.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Thursday 12/31 and Friday 1/1
    rest

Saturday 1/2
    went skiing

Sunday 1/3
    Squat: 210lbs, 3x5
    Bench: 160lbs, 3x5
    DL: 255lbs, 1x5

squats were nice and deep. i definitely had some left in the tank on the bench so i should be able to move up in weight. DLs are starting to feel heavy now, especially on the descending portion.

Monday 1/4 Morning weight: 202lbs
    Treadmill: HIIT, 4% incline, alternating 30 second intervals of 3mph and 7.5mph for 12 minutes (6 minutes of working)
    Last edited by feardaram; 01-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Tuesday 1/5
    Squat: 215lbs, 3x5
    OH Press: 110lbs, 3x5
    BB Row: 135lbs, 3x5

everything felt good, getting ready to OH Press 115lbs (my sticking weight) next B workout.

Wednesday 1/6
    rest

Thursday 1/7
    Squat: 215lbs, 3x5
    Bench: 165lbs, 3x5
    DL: 260lbs, 1x5
    Abs: decline situps, 35lbs, 2x10

Garage Lifter
    Just read through the journal. Great job and very impressive progress
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Good job...coming back up.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal