Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Progress

thanks for the support! trying!

Monday 3/1 Morning weight 207lbs
    squat: 255lbs, 3x5
    bench: 180lbs, 2x5, 185lbs 1x5
    dl: 260lbs, 1x5

stuck with the squat at 255lbs. it wasn't easy, but there were no concerns about getting it done. i just need to move up in weight and keep eating. did my first 2 sets on bench at 180, and again not easy, and not easy enough that i thought i could really handle 185 but wanted to try on the final set. loaded it up, got a spotter, and easily hit all the reps. i didn't feel much of a difference between the 180 and 185, so i'll for sure go up to 185 for all sets next time. happy about that. DL was quite manageable, need to go up.

Garage Lifter
    Great job
    Last edited by StLRPh; 03-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Good session. I'd go ahead and raise the squat, you'll probably amaze yourself and grind them out too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good solid work!

I agree with Off Road, go ahead and raise the squat weight.

that's exactly what i did.

wednesday 3/3
    squat: 260lbs, 3x5
    oh press: 130lbs, 3x5
    row: 165lbs, 3x5

squats were tough, like normal, but hitting them all was no problem at all and i was very pleased with my depth (hit my target, hopefully it's to parallel). the press was downright murder. the last rep of my 3rd set seemed to take forever. i am going to go ahead and deload by 20lbs there, fighting it was horrible and i feel like i'm getting weaker on the press as time passes.
    Last edited by feardaram; 03-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.

There ya go...nice job!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

thanks!

friday 3/5
    squat: 260lbs, 3x5
    bench: 185lbs, 3x5
    dl: 265lbs, 3x5

got in a little morning session before work. squats were a bit uncomfortable due to soreness/pain in my inner hips... i started flaring my toes a bit more (maybe too much?) this week and am feeling it while pushing up, especially at the very bottom and top of the movement. went up in the bench to 185lbs and hit all the reps, didn't even ask for a spotter. bar movement was fairly slow, but there were no concerns about completing the reps. went up in DL, a little difficult.

Banned
    Want to come down to Fort Collins next week and get a lift in with me at my gym?

Garage Lifter
    Great session. 3 exercises and lots of effort. Simple and effective.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Want to come down to Fort Collins next week and get a lift in with me at my gym?
    what does your training schedule look like for this week?

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Great session. 3 exercises and lots of effort. Simple and effective.
    thanks man!

Saturday 3/6
    went skiing

Monday 3/8 morning weight: 208.5lbs
    squat: 265lbs, 3x5
    oh press: 110lbs, 3x5
    row: 170lbs, 3x5

was in a hurry to get in and out so took shorter rests between sets, 2 minutes versus 4-5 minutes that i've been doing. went up in weight on the squat and row. squat was tough, depth was good but i good morning'd a few reps more than i'd like. with more rest it wouldn't have been an issue. cheated some on the last rep or two of the row. went ahead and deloaded on the press, down to 110 from 130. was very easy, form was good, felt nice. hopefully i can work back up and blow past 130.

Squat weight is going up, reps are getting tough, good things are happening.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Schedule:
    M-Squat
    T-Press
    W-Off (grip training)
    Th-Bench
    Fr-DL
    Sat-Grip training (with some extra assistance)
    Sun-OFF

Friday might work best... otherwise we can plan something next week. Actually next week might be better. I'm on spring break, so it will work with my schedule more. I have 3 guest passes for you, just pretend that you are halfway interested in joining and we will be golden.

Tuesday 3/9
    db complex, 22.5lbs dbs

wednesday 3/10
    bench: 190lbs, 3x5
    dl: 270lbs, 1x5

squat felt harder, even with considerable rest breaks, than on monday. could be because of the complex i did on tuesday. going to just rest today and prepare for tomorrow. went up 5lbs in bench and dl. for bench i barely made the reps on my last set, i thought the spotter would have to help but i pulled it off. i'm pretty happy that the bench is moving again, i just need to keep pushing myself to try more weight. ill stick with 190 for another session or two until it becomes more manageable. dl was taxing, but there were no issues completing reps. will go up 5lbs next time.

i weigh myself every morning, but usually only post updates on here for mondays. 210lbs today! i'm sure that has something to do with all the qdoba i ate pretty late last night and will actually drop a pound or two today, but that's a big difference in weight from the 196lbs i was at a few months ago. i mainly attribute this recent surge in weight to.......... peanut butter. without resorting to fast food or drinking i often have a problem getting in more than about 2500 cals/day because i just feel like i'm gorging myself. with peanut butter i can eat a few quick spoonfuls which equate to like 600 calories. my main concern with all this is getting fatter than i already am. i am, sadly, still quite flabby. i have no abs. so far i seem to still be slimming down, although slowly. fine with me if i can keep getting stronger.

saturday 3/12
    oh press: 115lbs, 3x5
    row: 170lbs, 2x5, 1x4

things came up on friday so i had to push the workout back to saturday. squat still feels hard, afraid to go up in weight. continuing to work my way up on the press following the deload. rowed with solid form, couldn't get the last rep.

Monday 3/15 morning weight: 210lbs

i'm was a little concerned over the weekend that my cals have gone too high. ate quite a bit, and saturday mid day weighed in at like 214lbs.... scary. i don't need any additional fat.

I have the opposite problem...I have a hard time keeping my calories under 3,500...keep up the progress, things look good.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

wednesday 3/17
    dl: 275lbs x 5, 315lbs x 1

couldn't get to the gym monday, my dog got loose and i had to spend the evening looking for her. squats were still hard, but i think i figured out why. i think i was good morning them too much previously, not keeping my elbows under the bar. i'm really focusing on that now, making each rep a little harder. i'm going to just try 270lbs on friday morning. bench was easier than last time, completing all reps and didn't even ask for a spotter. went up 5lbs in DL and had no problem. decided to try a single rep at 315lbs and found it moderately easy. it felt heavy but there was no struggle or question that i would complete the rep. i could have probably done a set of 5, wish i had tried. pretty cool, even though i know 315 isn't alot.
    Last edited by feardaram; 03-18-2010 at 08:52 AM.

315 IS a lot...nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Garage Lifter
    You're going really good work and you should be proud of it. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    315 IS a lot...nice job.
    cmon now, maybe to my mom! i've seen your numbers, 315 is like a warm up for you! thanks for the kind words though!!

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    You're going really good work and you should be proud of it. Keep it up.
    thank you. you guys do an excellent job motivating me and keeping me accountable. i haven't been at this very long, going on 5 months now, but it's pretty crazy to see that i can stick with something for a while.

friday 3/19
    squat: 270lbs, 3x5
    oh press: 120lbs, 3x5
    row: 170lbs, 3x5

went up in squat, it was hard. the end.

Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    went up in squat, it was hard. the end.
    lol...that's awesome. The funny thing is, I totally get what you are saying.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

lol...that's awesome. The funny thing is, I totally get what you are saying.
    i made the reps, but it really was a miserable workout. very tough.

saturday 3/20 - monday 3/22
    went skiing, legs really got worked

tuesday 3/23
    morning weight: 210.5lbs

wednesday 3/24
    squat: 270lbs, 3x5
    dl: 315lbs x 5

squats were a little easier. bench felt pretty much the same as last time, meaning making all my reps but with max effort (but no need to ask for a spotter). i was going to just go up 5lbs in DL to 280, but there was a guy in the gym dling like 455, it got me all sorts of pumped up, so i decided to just sack up and bump the weight up considerably since i only need to do 1 set. it was difficult but doable.

question: after my heavy set the other dling guy came over and chatted. he said my form looked pretty solid, but that i raise my hips/extend my knees before the bar begins to move, meaning much of the lift comes from me rotating at the waist/hips. i can feel what he means, although i had never thought about that before. this is probably hard for you all to answer without a video, but:

1. do i just need to start with my hips higher to begin with? meaning the moment i go to pull the bar starts to move.

2. or focus more on having the knee and hip extension occur at the same time?
    Last edited by feardaram; 03-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.

friday 3/26
    squat: 225lbs, 3x5
    oh press: 125lbs, 3x5
    row: 175lbs, 3x5

during my squat warm ups i looked hard and determined i still wasn't getting appropriate depth (at least parallel). my butt was more over my knees, than in between them, if that makes sense. i lowered the safety pins 1 notch and tried again, seemed good. worked the weight up to 225lbs, which was pretty difficult. after the first work set my ass was already sore as hell, and by the end i was totally finished. i'm a little discouraged that after 5 months i can only properly squat 15lbs more than my body weight, but i guess that's what i get for doing it wrong this whole time. the good news is i didn't even feel it my quads, just in the posterior. i'm hoping i can make quick progress from here.

used a lot of effort on the press but still had some reps left in the tank. i deloaded at 130lbs last time after failing to progress there, so i'm hoping to blow by it in the next 2 weeks. went up in rows as well. i don't note it, but i do some ab work after each lifting workout. also, did 6 chins after everything as well (and 6 last workout). i started trying the chins (and sometimes pullups) a little while ago and could only do 2, now up to 6. fun.

Good job fixing the squat. The weights will get back as you get more comfortable with it. Nice work as always.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Can you make it to fort collins this week? I'm still pretty damned beat up from Strongman training. My schedule this week will be:
    Tues: OH Press workout
    Wed: Heavy squat and light DL (lower back is pretty toast from Stone training)
    Thurs:Conditioning, grip work, and hold for time training
    Fri: Bench work

Let me know what days you want to come down. Also, beginning in June, i'm going to build a few strongman implements to keep at my house in Fort Collins. Looks like I will be getting a group of guys together every sat or sun to train events. Plan on stopping by sometime!
    -CM

Good job fixing the squat. The weights will get back as you get more comfortable with it. Nice work as always.
    i'm hoping. it seems odd that i can DL 315 but only squat 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Can you make it to fort collins this week? I'm still pretty damned beat up from Strongman training. My schedule this week will be:
    Tues: OH Press workout
    Wed: Heavy squat and light DL (lower back is pretty toast from Stone training)
    Thurs:Conditioning, grip work, and hold for time training
    Fri: Bench work

Let me know what days you want to come down. Also, beginning in June, i'm going to build a few strongman implements to keep at my house in Fort Collins. Looks like I will be getting a group of guys together every sat or sun to train events. Plan on stopping by sometime!
    -CM
    sent you a PM. i'm definitely looking to meet up this week.

saturday 3/27 and sunday 3/28
    went skiing

Monday 3/29
    morning weight: 211.5lbs

so yesterday morning i woke up with some pain in my upper ab region, right at where the rib cage starts. sorta felt like a cramp. when i went to take a shower i could see an actual bulge there. this is especially odd because i'm fat and have never been able to see anything resembling abs. so i did the natural thing and freaked out that i had a hernia. got over that, and decided this was an actual ab muscle, not something else. the bulge isn't in the middle of my stomach and is way up high. the pain subsided throughout the day, so i'm guessing it's some sort of strain. decided to skip monday's workout, i would hate for something to go wrong with while squatting/DLing. went on a 2 mile run outside instead. even today that area still feels sorta lumpy.

as of tomorrow i will be 2 weeks away from a vacation to mexico. although i know it won't be terribly significant, i decided i'm going to do a mini cut until then. my goal is to drop 4 pounds. i will do my official weigh in tomorrow. during this period i'm just hoping to maintain my lifts. shouldn't be too difficult since they aren't impressive numbers to begin with.
    Last edited by feardaram; 03-31-2010 at 09:27 AM.