Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Progress

tuesday 3/30
    squat: 225lbs x 5, 245lbs 3x5
    oh press: 130lbs, 3x5
    dl: 315lbs x 5

worked out with chip (cmanuel) yesterday, had a blast. very knowledgeable guy, gave me lots of tips and things to work on. got my parallel squat dialed in, hoping to make some serious gains after mexico. he showed me the idea of hip drive, which i haven't at all been doing. first 2 sets of the press were moderately easy, last one was difficult, but hit all the reps. 130 was definitely much easier this time around than last even though my breathing was way off this time around.

wednesday 3/31
    morning weight: 209lbs

this is lower than i expected. i've been at 211-212 the past few days. not sure how accurate it is.
    Last edited by feardaram; 03-31-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Banned
    Glad I could be of some help.

Watch this video, I think this parallels your main issue in squats. Fixing hip drive will get you so muhc stronger out of the hole, but like i said yesterday, it doesn't come overnight so just practice after your work sets and it will come eventually

Video

i can easily see what you mean in that video. tried to put it into action, like you said it will take a lot of practice.

wednesday 3/31
    db complex, 6 sets, 2 at 20lbs, 2 at 17.5 lbs, 2 at 15lbs

thursday 4/1
    morning weight: 210lbs, i knew that 209 weight was bogus, still, it's lower than monday and tuesday

squat: 250lbs, 3x5
    bench: 195lbs, 2x5, 1x4
    chins: bw, 3x5

i said before i just wanted to maintain my weights before vacation, but i couldn't help bumping up the weights slightly. went up 5 in squat, no problems. went up 5 in bench but missed the last rep of my 3rd set. still, i'm very happy with it. rows just weren't sounding good, so i subbed chins. hard, but got the 3 sets of 5 in. it seems like i "feel" it more from chins than rows. might phase out rows totally.

last 3 days i've been right at about 2000 cal. hoping to drop some of that fat.
    Last edited by feardaram; 04-01-2010 at 08:13 PM.

I wouldn't phase out the rows completely. You might be better off just alternating them from session to session. Good workouts!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

thanks for the info, i'll stick with them.

saturday 4/3 and sunday 4/4
    skiing

monday 4/5
    morning weight: 211.5lbs

bench: 185lbs, 3x5
    dl: 315lbs, 1x5, 1x3

stupid workout. rack was being used pretty much the entire time i was at the gym. benched first, and noticed last time i was bouncing the bar off my chest, leaving some pain. lowered the weight 10lbs, slowed down the reps, only a light touch on the chest. a little tough, but no problems. went to DL next, 5 reps then 3. was damn tired after this. eating less is clearly lowering my energy levels. messed around with the squat machine at this point but it felt stupid so i blasted my abs, ran a mile, and went home.

weight loss is not working. i'm clearly eating much less but the scale isn't showing any movement. frustrating.
    Last edited by feardaram; 04-05-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Tuesday 4/6
    2 mile run outside

Thursday 4/8
    squat: 255lbs, 3x5
    chins: bw, 2x5

ran out of time at the end of the work out so did 2 real quick sets of chins and left. press felt slightly easier than last time, might have had another (grinder) rep in me.

friday weight: 210.5lbs

Glad to see the squat keeps going up...time to raise the press
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    Keep up the good work. The weight loss will come. Gotta remember that its not necessarily linear. You may not lose anything for a while and all of a sudden 3lbs disappear. Good luck
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

thanks guys. upping the press will be a focus once vacation is over!

friday 4/9
    ran 4 miles outside

saturday 4/10
    DL: 275lbs x 3, 225x 5
    abs, ran a mile

rack was being used the whole time. totally lacked energy, form was slipping on DLs even at 275.

sunday 4/11
    walked about 3/4mile each way with my golf bag and hit balls on the range

monday 4/12

morning weight: 209lbs

squat: 255lbs, 3x5
    rows: 175lbs, 3x5
    abs, ran a mile

press was very hard, had to grind out last few reps. ready for vacation
    Last edited by feardaram; 04-12-2010 at 10:26 PM.

back from vacation and got back in the gym yesterday for the first time in a week and a half. gained 5lbs on the trip (weighed 214.5 on my return). after spending a week in a bathing suit realized i'm still fat and need to cut weight for real. getting stronger but continuing to look untrained and out of shape won't make me happy. my goal is to get back to at least 200lbs before i get serious about getting stronger again. to do this i will scale back lifting to 2 days per week, 3 is just too much on limited calories i've found. i will increase cardio.

thursday 4/22
    squat: 245lbs, 3x5
    bench: 175lbs, 2x5, 1x7
    DL: 315lbs, 1x5
    abs, jogged 1 mile

wanted to start back a little lighter, went down 10 lbs in squat and bench. squat was tough, bench was easy. did 2 extra reps at the end of bench with no issues. felt very strong on the DL, hit 315 no problems and felt like i could have done more (weight or reps). did some weighted sit ups then slowly jogged 1 mile. very tired after this. felt good to be back in the gym.

friday 4/23
    morning weight: 212lbs
    3 miles jog on the treadmill
    Last edited by feardaram; 04-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.

sunday 4/25
    squat: 245lbs, 3x5i t
    row: 165lbs, 3x5
    abs, jogged 1 mile on treadmill

squats were tough but doable. will do 250 next time. rows were very tough. it's weird, i feel like the rows don't hit my back, but more my arms. i try to use a somewhat strict bent over form, sorts near parallel. not sure if i'm cheating too much or what.

Welcome back and good luck on your continued cut to 200#. Do you have a date goal for reaching 200#?

Squats are always tough...way to get back to it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Welcome back and good luck on your continued cut to 200#. Do you have a date goal for reaching 200#?
    honestly, i don't know. i'd be fine with losing a pound a week. my issue is consistency. i'll have a few good days in a row and then a horrible day, like last night, where i have 3 margs, fajitas, and chips for dinner... while failing to get any cardio in. i guess we will just need to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Squats are always tough...way to get back to it.
    for sure, feeling better now though. thanks for stopping by.

wednedsay 4/28
    squat: 250lbs, 3x5
    dl: 325lbs x 5
    slow jog 1 mile on the treadmill

went up to 250lbs in squat, tough but got'em no problem. back to 255 next time should be fine. bench was back to 185 and actually felt pretty good. i had another rep or two in the tank on the final set. might try 190 next time. went up to 325 on the DLs, which is fun. took a lot of effort but there was no question i'd get them all (since it's only 1 set). busted out a slow mile on the treadmill after lifting. tired.

saturday 5/1
    jog 2.6 miles outside

sunday 5/2
    squat: 255lbs 3x5, 165lbs x 20
    chins/pull-ups: a bunch of reps, forgot to count, most from standing position due to being dead tired

so i went ahead and tried a 20 rep squat today. did my work sets at 255lbs which were pretty tough, then dropped down to 165lbs for a 20 rep set. the 20 reps took me nearly 3 minutes to complete. 165 felt like absolutely no weight, but cardiovascularly was very difficult. i never felt like i couldn't complete a rep but in my lungs/heart it felt like i was sprinting. i was finished by rep 9 and considered quitting. at that point i had to start taking multiple breaths between reps or every few reps. i'm glad i tried it but wow it was tough. gives me a whole new level of respect for someone doing this with any sort of weight. hit my reps on the press and finished off with some chins/pulls.

Nice job on the 20s. They are a whole different animal.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice job on the 20s. They are a whole different animal.
    you aren't lying!

monday 5/3
    hit some softballs at the cages, getting ready for summer league

tuesday 5/4
    2 mile walk outside with the wife/dogs

wednesday 5/5
    2.4 mile jog outside

thursday 5/6
    DL: 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 5, 225lbs x 3, 275lbs x 2, 315lbs x 2, 365lbs x 1, 315lbs x 5
    abs, jogged 1 mile on treadmill

rack was being used when i showed up so i decided to make this a deadlift centered workout. worked up a single 365 rep. was very hard but i felt it moved quickly, there was no struggling with it. i know 365 isn't a ton but i'm happy that 6 months in i can do it.

friday 5/7
    morning weight: 208lbs, seems like i'm cutting fat slightly