The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FreeRiders Log of GAIN!!!

Here we go...
    I figure I need to start a journal to keep myself motivated. Alright...on with the current (read: weakling) stats:

19 year old male, 5'11, 135lbs (I swear I am built from bird parts). I have always been in pretty good shape. I do alot of freeride mountain biking so my cardio is quite decent, body fat is pretty much non existant (look at my weight!!) and I am built like a rail! I was never really uncomfortable with my size...but now I am starting to crave that extra bit of bulk. About 2 weeks ago I decided I am going for a total lifestyle change.
    I am now currently eating 3000-3500 cal/day, I take in approx. 150g of protein/day and 2-3 liters of water. I am really limiting my supplment use as I seem to be able to get what I need outta whole foods. I am currently taking about 1-2 scoops of ON WHEY/day....but ususally I can reach my protein goals (seem like those are the hardest ones to reach) with whole foods alone. I am currently in Uni and I force down 6 meals a day.
    I get plenty of rest (shoot for 8-10 hours a night).

After eating well and lifting hard I have really noticed that I feel GREAT! I have bounds of energy, I dont snooze in classes anymore, I just feel energized all the time!!! I am working out on the WBB1 and weigh in every 2 weeks, take measurements, and track everything that passes between my lips with fitday. I also track all my lifts weekly to make sure that I am progressing. Here are the current lifts (I dont have any 1 rep max's, as I have a nice little gym at home, and usually work out when I dont have my spotters around...I'll get some 1reps soon tho)...

(These are weights for 2sets of 6-8reps, also my bar is 15lbs....so add that to all the numbers below if you want the actual weight I lift)
    BP - 90
    DL - 70 (I know I can eaisly take that to 90...and today is DL day!!)
    Squat - 90
    Military Press - 60
    Narrow Grip BP - 80
    BB Curls - 50

These are just the ones that I feel were worth mentioning...of course there is alot more I do per day (the WBB1).

Anyways....enuff typing....back to eating!
    Last edited by FreeRider; 12-10-2006 at 01:54 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wow. Shattered most of my regular lifts today!

I decided to really push myself hard! Even when I think I cant possibly take another rep, I just bit down and let er buck!
    BP felt really light. I hit 8 on each set without much struggle so I'll definatly be upping that to 100 next week. Dips went up 5 lbs (I have parallel style bars and dip between them with the 15lbs attached to me) I am pushing really hard to get the 2 sets of 6-8 right now so will prob stay at that weight atleast till next time. Dead lift went up to 90 and still felt light...definatly increasing to 100-110 next time. BB rows went up to 90, and my shrugs when up 30lbs to 110. Will prob bring the shrugs up to 120-130 next time. Felt pretty light at 110.

What really suprised me is that I have made an approx. 1" gain on my chest, and a inch or so on the waist! WOW...after like 2-3 weeks "I" can notice the little things changing...really sparks your desire to go harder next time!

Anyway...back to eating for me

Feeling much better today,
    I was feeling a little shoty yesterday (no appite, low on energy)...but today it turned around. Felt pretty crappy for the morning so I was only able to scarf down a mulitgrain bagle and H2O. Got thru my lab I had to do today ( 90%...**** yeahh!) and then had my appite back with a vengence!!! Decided that my body needed grease and fat so I pounded back a couple of cheese burgers with bacon. I'm only at like 1400odd cal's right now so I'll see if I can atleast crack the 2500mark. I feel like if I dont make my 3000 goal each day I shrink! Honestly...I have to limit my blinking! Stupid hardgainer ways......

I have a nice 1000 cal shake that I will prob throw back before I sack out (fueled by peanut butter, fruit, and milk), so hitting 3000 for today may not be that hard....I still have 6 or so odd hours left till sleep time for me! I really hate missing meals during the day tho!

Leg Day,
    Squats - light at 100

Hack Squats - light at 100

Leg Curls - only 10lbs increase to 80...may take another week at that before an increase.

Standing Calve Raises - 100lbs and light. Wish I had a machine for the caves. Currently just dead lift the weight and then put my feet on my calve rasing gimick. Works decent but I am limited to what I can deadlift...works for now tho...could probly go to 110-115 without to much fuss since I could crank out all my reps for each set....I like to be really really struggling for the last few reps!

At 2700 odd cal for today, will definatly be able to exceed my 3000 by sleep time.

Really pushed the legs hard today...stairs are going to be fun tommorow!

Arm Day,
    Nothing to earth shattering so I wont post specifics but I really pushed myself hard today! I remeber being back in highschool and struggling to bench what I now can military press! I decided to take a quick measurement a few days back to see what I have made in the 3-4 weeks and was stunned to see that I put a whole inch onto my chest! I put some size onto my stomach, arms, forearms (I notice those the most...they just feel stronger). Not much size, but enuff to measure.....still not enuff to really "see" tho...give it time, give it time.

Tommorow is my last day for writing finals, then I can focus more on eating lots! Its getting bad now. I actually dont like sleeping in anymore since I miss breakfast! I am getting used to my 6+ meals/day.

Well Finals are done!
    With school outta my way I can really focus on eating proper for these next 3 weeks (minus NewYears.....think I can get my 3500cal from beer alone? ) Today is going to be as massive cheat day. I am having a massive massive supper, so I may not be able to get my 6 in for today.....more like 3....sleeping till noon kinna kills off breakfast meals too!

Back on the ball tommorow. Chest day tommorow so I plan on waking up early and really pushing myself these next 3 weeks. See if I can gain 2-3lbs.

One slight prob I am finding. My ON 100% WHEY seems to upset my stomach pretty good. I have been taking it with milk, a bannana, and some peanut butter (for the most) but have narrowed it down to milk+whey = sore.

Nothing major. Now atleast I know what is causing it and I can usually still force myself to eat even if I am feeling like crap. Only last a few hours after tho so I can take it.

Alright,
    Back/Chest day. Was able to get my bench up to 100 (115 with bar) as of now 2*8. I think I will be reaching my goal of pressing my weight alot sooner then I thought! I can believe the strenght progress I am making! I have not made massive weight gains (thats going to change this month...more about that later). I have been uping the weight pretty much every week.

I finally found a combo of whey and mixer that is easy on my stomach and easy to down. I made some gainer brownies (PB, Oats, Honey, Whey). DELICIOUS! A 4"*3" brownie of this mix packs about 600-700cal and 35-40g of protein. Definatly easy to put 2 of those down in a day...thats a quick way to get 1300cal!

Going to go outta my way for these next few weeks to EAT! See if I can hit atleast 3500cal a day! Arms, forearms, chest, waist, everything is growing.....slowly but its coming. Trying to hit my goal of 160 by Aug....going to definatly need to eat more. As long as the strenght is going up I'll be a happy man.
    Last edited by FreeRider; 12-24-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    right on man. keep them calories up, bench looks good.

i'd like to up my calories but it's so hard when you're a vegeterian.

Legs,
    Squat 110+ (need to increase weight)
    Hacks 110+
    Leg Curls 80 (need one more week at this weight)

I have been doing my best at eating and eating for these last few days. I definatly need to push my legs harder. I have been slowly increasing my squat weight so I could nail my form without injuring myself. Leg days are fun....but chest and arm days feel the best...soon I will love the squats as much as I love the bench....

I have been at abouts 3200cal for the last few days and been downing water like crazy! I have jumped up from 134 to 141 within about 3 days...its all water weight...but still feels good to see that scale move up for a change! Weight before I ate or drank this morning was 136. I dont really trust my scale all that much...but my chest size is up 2.5 inches from Nov. 25 and my strenght is increasing...so I must be doing something right.

osirisblind,
    I cant imagin trying to get my 3500cal in without meat! Definatly possible tho. I have tons of moose meat I have been eating lately...super lean, great source of protein!

Arms,
    Was able to up my seated DB press to 1*7 @35, then 1*8 @25...really wish I had 30lbs DB's hard to make a 10lbs jump but my little split method seems to work alright. Narrow grip bench felt really nice @80, that can increase to 90 next time.
    My french press seems to be giving me a little flack tho. I am fairly sure I am doing it right (I use my big hex weights, hold onto one side with my palms up, lower the weight as far as I can, then press till my arms are straight!)...seems like this destroys my tricepts! I felt like I could increase to 30ish...but after making sure I am getting full ROM on the press 25 did just fine!

Hammers need to go up, and my BB curl is on a 60/50 split like the DB press. Soon I'll be able to run the 2 sets with the 60.

Ate like a horse the last few days...weight is fluttering right around the 138-141 mark. Biggest change I am noticing are my shoulders! They definatly have more meat on them! Tri's also feel bigger....nice to lay on the floor and feel some meat to floor contact....instead of bone to floor contact.

Anyway....I need to go back to making my gainer brownies....I swear I am fueled by peanut butter and oats! Nothing like cresting 1000cal before breakfast is over.....and half that time thats just from the liquid portion!

Back and Chest,
    Bench is now at 2*8 @100...almost solid. I could prolly jump to 110 next time....well see how I feel next back day. Low incline DB press...I finally had to "engineer" some heavier weights...I now have 44lbs DB's....bar and weight locks are the extra 4lbs. Pushing really hard with these....I like it.

Deadlift is going insane! I am increasing every single week! I only at 110 now...but I'll definatly be going up to 120 next week....could prolly even make the 130 mark without difficulty...but I'll go slow, try and avoid hurting me self.

My dips are now at 20lbs+bodyweight. I think I may have either wacked my arm sometime...or strained something because it seems the tendon that crosses on the inside of my elbow is hurtin a little. Will have to see how that feels in the next few days before doing any more dips or skull crushers (they are the only ones that seem to make it hurt).

I am actually looking forward to squats on boxing day! Squats and DL's are starting to become my fav's! The increasing weights on those are more then enuff to motivate me! Beats the hell outta trying to catch sales in local malls! I'll squat thankyou!

MEASURMENT TIME,

Starting Stats (1 Month Ago):
    (relaxed)
    Chest - 32.75
    Stomach - 28.00

(relaxed)
    bicep(R) - 10.75
    Bicep(L) - 10.25

(flexed)
    Bicep(R) - 12.25
    Bicep(L) - 11.75

Current Stats:
    Seated (relaxed)
    Chest - 35.00
    Stomach - 29.00

90 Degree bend (no flex)
    Bicep(R) - 12.25
    Bicep(L) - 11.75

90 Degree bend (flexed)
    Bicep(R) - 12.50
    Bicep(L) - 12.25

Midway (standing, relaxed)
    Right Thigh - 19.25
    Left Thigh - 19.00

Seated (relaxed, thickest)
    Right Calf - 13.00
    Left Calf - 12.50

I am kicking myself in the ass right now for not taking starting measurments on my wheels! The first measurments were taken back in the day when all I wanted was to curl and get big...aint gonna work like that. I would have included my weight...but it seems my scale fluctuates all over the place. Going to return it for a better one (prolly analog). Seems that I have only put on about 2lbs since I started, but I am assuming that is mostly muscle since my chest has increased big time, and my strenght has really shot thru the roof, but that is just an oppinion...I dont have a BF% to work with. I still cant really notice anything in pictures yet. Tri's and lats are definatly a little bigger, but most of the size is around my chest (prolly split with some girth on the bac, sides, and pecs).

Neat thing is my bi's have not really increased too too much, but the left is really catching up to the right! Prolly taking more of the brunt in things like MP's and curls.

These arnt massive measurments by any means, but its an increase from what I was at and as long as I can keep throwing on the muscle I will be a happy happy man. I am already excited at the progress I made...I am just excited I am making progress! So long for now...its squatin time. There will be another one of these on the 25-26 of January. Stay Tuned...
    Last edited by FreeRider; 12-27-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Nothing to fantastic to report for the last workouts...was able to up the hammers, narrow grip BP's. Also able to up the DL...really really like the feeling of deadlifts now. Definatly feel it in the back (in the muscles...not in pain).

Ate kinna crappy the day of my back/chest workout and wasn't able to giver as hard as normal. Now with new years outta the way (Happy New Years People!) I can get back down to business.

Tommorow is leg day! Squats here I come!
    Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

...quit reading and start eating!

Your measurment increase is very impressive
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Thanks man, I think the arms may be a little optimistic since I couldn't remeber if I had them straight out, or bend when I first measured...so I just gauged it off the flexed size. Still an increase.

There is definatly no BS'ing on the chest tho! I am really suprised at the amount I have gained there. Anyways time to hit the iron.

Legs,
    Squats felt really really good today. I made sure I went parallel with each one and am keeping my sets spaced at about 1min to a min and a half apart...feels like I am getting more outta the muscles. Figured out a way to set up my bench so I can use part of the equipment to work as a stop to keep me from hurting myself if I cant make it out of a deep squat. Now I can really pile on the weight without worrying about being stuck at the bottem of a squat.

Anyways...its late, time to sleep. Got just shy of 3000cal today (made a shake that I just couldnt stomach...nose plugged I still couldnt drink it...was a choco-rasberry-peanut butter-milk mix.....bitter rasberries made it taste like feet!).

keep on truckin!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Arms,
    Lat raises @ 15lbs solid now...adjusted my form a little and now I can feel them in the proper muscles.
    Narrow Grip BP sitting at 90lbs...I cant just crank out 7,6 on my 2 sets. Increased to 90lbs 1 week ago so hopefully I can break 100 in a week or so.
    60lbs BB curls. Man these feel great! I remeber the days back in highschool where I'd warm up with bench presses of 50lbs...
    Hammers are up to 35 but that is quite the fight for me. Will prolly need a few weeks at this weight.

Ate like a horse yesterday and was able to clear 3300 cal! Ate a ton of carbs yesterday...just seemed like I was hungry all day after lunch (lots of rice, veggies, and chicken). I am going to try and eat lots and lots of carbs as they seem to really spur on my hunger without really making me feel stuffed (like fats do)!

Wannabebig Member
    everything's lookin real nice man, you seem to be progressing faster than i am. aha must be the food though i've been slacking during these holidays, hopefully when school starts i'll get back on track.

keep it up

Thanks exactly what I was thinking...back to school on monday where I can get my 6 meals and 3500cal a day! None of this sleeping late and missing meals deal!

Another week, another increase
    I was able to get my bench feeling better at 100 (plus bar = 15lbs). I will need another week at 100 but then should be able to up it to 110. DL has increased to 130 (+15 for bar...I always leave the bar weight out). Uni gets back into full swing tommorow. I have a nice 3500cal/day meal plan all set out and plan on sticking to it as close as I can untill summer time. I have been getting my 3000/day for the most part on vacation here...but I am doing it from noon to bedtime...will be nice to be up at 6 again, easier to break up my cal requirments.

Alright! Back on track!
    I got about +3600cal yesterday and will be pulling in at about 3500cal today! Now I am eating! Stick with this for a few months and I should definatly see some serious increases. Today was leg day, and is offically the day I ran outta weight at home . I will prolly start using the school gym soon enuff.....looks like they have a nice rack!

Anyway, squats went up to 130+bar, hacks felt fine at 150+bar...going up. I can only put 150 on my bar at home so its time to go use the olympic bar at school.

According to my sketchy scale I am at about 139-141...I just cant seem to break 141! I dont know what to set my goal at for the end of school. I was hoping to be up to 160-180 by Aug...and am I ever going to try and make that!

Hmm are you using a standard Olympic bar?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Hehe....I dont know what I have at home...its definatly an el cheapo 1.5" bar or something. I had some old school plastic weights and a whole stack of 10lbs weights (about 20plates or so). I will be using my school gym from here forward and then join a local gym once summer rolls along.

I mean I can only physically fit 150lbs on the bar.....it'll take more...if it was longer. Will be nicer to work with better equipment too...plus I got a few of my buds coming along (and guess what....they squat...going to have to introduce them to DL's tho) so I will have nice spotters.

Eating good today too! Already cleared my 3000cal! I still have a 800cal shake in a few hours to down!

Chest Day,
    Had to move my workouts to go around my school gym...but it is mucho nicer! I went nice and easy today for back day to get used to the new weights...plus I didnt want to get pinned under something...olymipic bar weights 40...that I remembered.

They have a brand new smith (shudders) but they have a nice old power rack that is free...all the time! I like it already. I have a nice corner where I can DL and squat with no waiting for anything. Very few people in that place are using the free weights so its a nice place to be .

Wednesday is leg day and I am really going to kick my ass. Now with a nice safe power rack I have no choice but go for broke on my squats!
    Last edited by FreeRider; 01-15-2007 at 04:29 PM.