Thread: Question about overhead barbell press

Banned

Question about overhead barbell press

Ok heres another question from me I hope people are not tired of my questions. Specially as I doubt this will be my last . Today while doing my overhead barbell press . I was doing 70 lbs 5x5 on my last 2 sets I was having trouble with the last 2 and then last 3 sets 4 and 5. So I kinda used my legs to get extra push to get bar all the way up.

My question is would I be better off doing something different . Less reps ? Less sets ? Or getting that little leg help to finish my set ok as finishing reps and sets is what counts ?

Oh yeah one other quick question . Has this ever happened to you . Today while doing my benches on my second rep of my second set I got the bar 1/2 way up and couldn't move it . I work with out a spotter and as I am still pretty weak not much risk only benching 95lbs . So I managed to get my knees under bar to hold it for a minute then racked it waited a few minutes then tried again. I completed all my reps and sets with no troubles after that at same weight. So what could be the reason I failed my second rep of second set? That really confuses me

You started out too heavy. Keep your ego in check and read the SS and TM stickies.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    You started out too heavy. Keep your ego in check and read the SS and TM stickies.
    Well I started 2 weeks ago at 50 lbs increased to 60 last week increased to 70 today .

So I think what you are saying is I should lower the weight

Read the stickies... they discuss what to do exactly in this case.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-05-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryb75 View Post
    Well I started 2 weeks ago at 50 lbs increased to 60 last week increased to 70 today .

So I think what you are saying is I should lower the weight
    You need to go up 5lbs total not 5lbs each side. Instead of going 60lbs to 70lbs you should have gone 60lbs to 65lbs etc... Add 5lbs every workout. If I were you I would drop back down to 60lbs and then steadily add 5lbs every week or workout session.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

All the answers above are correct. I'd just start at 60lbs again, and work back up. You'll be suprised at how quickly that'll be.
    Last edited by Brian999; 11-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

Sounds like what you are doing might get you hurt, putting your knees under the bar, but i understand dropping it on yourself could hurt too, but try to avoid moving the lower half of your body, you could injure your back. or something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Sounds like what you are doing might get you hurt, putting your knees under the bar, but i understand dropping it on yourself could hurt too, but try to avoid moving the lower half of your body, you could injure your back. or something.
    Yeah I know that wasn't best. I was stuck and reacted more then anything .
    any idea though Why it happened though after a short rest I tried again at same weight and completed all reps and sets . Is it normal to just have a "glitch" sometimes while lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryb75 View Post
    Ok heres another question from me I hope people are not tired of my questions. Specially as I doubt this will be my last . Today while doing my overhead barbell press . I was doing 70 lbs 5x5 on my last 2 sets I was having trouble with the last 2 and then last 3 sets 4 and 5. So I kinda used my legs to get extra push to get bar all the way up.

My question is would I be better off doing something different . Less reps ? Less sets ? Or getting that little leg help to finish my set ok as finishing reps and sets is what counts ?
    It is ok ... it is not best ... but:
    What you did was transition from a strict over head press to a push press. If you do not have 2.5 lb plates and are forced to make a 10 lb increase this will work, just repeat the same weight the next time using strict form.

Oh yeah one other quick question . Has this ever happened to you . Today while doing my benches on my second rep of my second set I got the bar 1/2 way up and couldn't move it . I work with out a spotter and as I am still pretty weak not much risk only benching 95lbs . So I managed to get my knees under bar to hold it for a minute then racked it waited a few minutes then tried again. I completed all my reps and sets with no troubles after that at same weight. So what could be the reason I failed my second rep of second set? That really confuses me
    There could be a number of reasons for this:
    1. you may not have warmed up properly
    2. Because of no spotter you approached the lift with apprehension and missed. Getting more focused and positive you got the lift the second time.

Those could be possibilities, but it also could have just been that your bar path changed on that rep, I have missed lifts before because i messed myself up mentally and the bar felt really heavy so instead of bring the bar down like I normally do I took it straight to the top of my chest, and of course I didn't push it up. So it could have been something simple like that.

Maybe you didnt rest long enough between sets. It is fine to take 2-3 minutes between sets if you need too.
    As others mentioned, increase weight by 5lbs MAX not 10lbs, that will make a huge difference.
    The idea is linear progression using small weights. The actual recommeded weight increase for bench is 2.5lbs-5lbs.

What routine are you doing? Look at the Starting Strength routine stickies at the top of the forum.

Wannabebig Member
    you can increase by 10-15 pounds on squats and deads but bench and overhead press is best to stick to 5 pound increments..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by accrane View Post
    you can increase by 10-15 pounds on squats and deads but bench and overhead press is best to stick to 5 pound increments..
    yes I am not doing starting strength but that is what I read for weight increases after reading it again I realized I misread or misremembered the information .

As far as benches go it has been 8 years since I lifted before then all I did was benches and curls . I used to bench around 145 150 So I am pretty sure I can increase my benches pretty fast till I get to 130 or so then will have to slow down Muscle has memory . Or at least I always been told that.

I appreciate everyone helps and opinions tomorrow I will drop my OHP back down to 60 and do my sets there then raise it to 65 next week
    Last edited by jerryb75; 11-06-2009 at 07:02 PM.