The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

new to weight training - SS & diet?

hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you give me

im male, 18 years old, about 58kg, 5 foot 9, and very skinny. im looking to start a weight lifting program and looked at starting strength. since im new to weight training and would be learning all these exercises myself, i didnt like the idea of doing power cleans, as they seem to have a rather complicated technique (relative to squats/bench presses at least). so i was thinking of a version without the power cleans:

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
    does this look like something that could work? and i'm assuming i'd add some crunches for abs work

my second question was about diet - im sorry if this should be posted separately in the diet forum, i thought it'd be neater to just have it all in one general topic.

i've just started university a month or so ago, and its self-catered, so my diet's been sort of haphazard - i'd have to sort it out with weight lifting. basically, was just wondering what you think some easy to prepare foods are for a good diet. i'm severely allergic to eggs and nuts, so that's some easy protein out the window. i've read about oatmeal being good, and i also read that one idea is to drink a gallon of milk a day. a whole gallon? what the ?

anyways, just trying to make sure im on the right track thanks for any help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The videos in the Texas Method Sticky cover all form stuff. Id suggest learning to clean... its an invaluable movement.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    thats the routine I am starting monday =D It also one that Rippetoe teaches The writer of starting strength teaches at his gym. So in my opinion it must be a decent routine . Well the one Rippetoe actually teaches has you doing powercleans 5X3 every other Wednesday http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...Novice_Program .

I have little to no personal experience so the only info I offer is what I have read the last few weeks since I started lifting. As far as powercleans go people will swear by them . But it boils down to what you wants .
    If you are just doing it like me for recreation and to look better and be stronger **** it no need.
    If you plan on becoming amateur semi pro or pro better start doing them

Read the sticky "What a bodybuilder eats" ! It gives the basics very well! You don't have to drink a Gallon of Milk a day but it is an easy way to gain calories! Track your diet on a site like(Fitday.com)! Also powercleans are not that hard to learn,are you training for anything other than looks? PC's add an explosive element to your workout that is hard to recreate! I play golf and wakeboard and want to be explosive when need be! I love/hate PC's because they are very taxing but I know they work!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Wannabebig New Member
    hm, okay, i might watch some of these videos on power cleans and see if i can pick them up. i went to the gym earlier and did squats/bench press/deadlifts, and now i have a pain similar to tennis elbow in my right elbow - wondering if maybe ive gotten the form wrong on the bench press.

Best thing I have done for my form and all my lifts was to take my digital camera and video myself doing the lifts. I could then see how my form was off in comparison to the videos I watched to learn the proper form.

Zen convinced me to keep with the power cleans a few days ago and I have been practicing. Practice doing hang cleans to help you with the second pull, as that was where I was having problems. I have a bruse on my claviale that lets me know when I don't get my elbows up fast enough.

I did my workout last night and was able to do 135x5x3 with no problems and I know I got at least 5 of my 15 perfect, and only 1 that was not good. Also did a PR of 170lb for a power clean and could have done more.

You can always post the videos of you up here for people to help, There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here that will give you advise... as well as people like me who are learning as well.

Chins are a great addition to the routene, I need to put up a bar so I can do them.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.