Thread: SSB Carryover to Raw Squats

SSB Carryover to Raw Squats

First, my brother and I have been progressing nicely with Starting strength. We've both put on about 10-20 lbs and about 75-100lbs on our 5RM squats. Recently my brother's developed some tendinitis in his left elbow thats realky only aggrevated with low bar barbell squats. So we've decided to rest his elbow and use the saftey squat bar for our squat progression.

Does anyone have any experience with using the SSB to help progress their raw squat?

Would it not be prudent to use it for too long with barbell squats?

Or should I just not worry about it because this thing make you strong as hell and there's no way it won't carryover?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Ajack

Quote Originally Posted by Ajack View Post
    First, my brother and I have been progressing nicely with Starting strength. We've both put on about 10-20 lbs and about 75-100lbs on our 5RM squats. Recently my brother's developed some tendinitis in his left elbow thats realky only aggrevated with low bar barbell squats. So we've decided to rest his elbow and use the saftey squat bar for our squat progression.

Does anyone have any experience with using the SSB to help progress their raw squat?

Would it not be prudent to use it for too long with barbell squats?

Or should I just not worry about it because this thing make you strong as hell and there's no way it won't carryover?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Ajack
    They are a hell of a lot harder than straight bar squats. If you have weak low backs, prepare to be humbled.

There are some things like taking a wider grip, taking a pinkyless grip, taking a thumbless grip, etc that can take the stress off your arms when squatting. But if you must use the SSB, I think you'll still make gains. Form may be slightly different, so mix straight bar squats in as often as you can.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Oh I've been using the SSB and it is humbling for sure!

You can certainly get stronger with the SSB. You might also consider a higher bar placement with the regular bar. I know Rippetoe prefers a low bar position, but you can still get good hip drive and squat effectively with the bar a little higher. Just something to think about.

Wannabebig Member
    I used the SSB exclusively after my most recent elbow surgery. I got stronger with it and was able to jump right in to normal raw squats at a decent weight after my arm was healed enough.

ssb

I feel ssb squats in my abs and hips.
    You should be fine using it till your elbow heals.
    The only thing that may happen is you will loose some flexibility in your shoulders from not using the straight bar. That happens to me, but I loose that flexibility very quickly!