Thread: I'm out of ideas

Wannabebig Member

I'm out of ideas

Well I'm going to put it short. The weights given does not include the bars weight, only the plates.

I'm on SS. When starting SS (Oh my it must be about 9/10 weeks ago) my squat went up for about 4 weeks almost each session, aswell as my deadlift. My bench however has increased a little bit, but by no more than 5 kg for a 5 reps x 3 sets (when started I could do 40kg). I can push 50kg but only for about 3 reps if I let the bar touch my chest. I'm currently at 45kg.

My squat stalled for the again, this time on 65kg. I deloaded for the second time and today I struggled with 60kg. It seems I just can't break past this point. My deadlift however has gone up session after session. Sometimes I did both deadlift days in a week with the same weight (When you are in Workout A's week), just to not exert myself. Today I pulled 120kgs, okay I'm going to be honest I had about 3 - 5 seconds rest between reps, just to set up again and catch a breath and I only pulled out 4 reps (there was a bit of back rounding, but nothing uncomfortable or excessive. But in the previous session I pulled 115kg for 4 reps in the same manner, so I definetly advanced my weight.

Now, why would my deadlift go up, but my other lifts not. Like I said my bench just seems to hover where it is now. I thought it was form, but my squat and bench form seems fine. Then I thought diet? My bodyweight is increasing bit by bit every week. But could it be insufficient calories if my deads still increase? I'm lost to what the problem could be. Should I try 20 rep squat routine for a while and go back to SS? Or would this not help at all.

And a question out of curiosity...If someone mentions the squat/bench/dead 4 plates - what size plate are they refering to.

I will leave your first question for someone who has more first hand experience with Starting Strength; but insufficient calories could be the culprit (as you suspected).

To answer your second question, (4) Plates = (4) 45 lbs Plates, 405 including the barbell - roughly 180 Kg.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

LuNa
    I have had the same experience as you while doing SS. My deadlift and squat went up, while my bench and OH Press have been the same for a long time. My squat stalled a couple of months ago (i was cutting) but my deadlift kept going. At the moment, i have done 167.5kg for three reps, while i have only squatted 120kg for five reps.

It is normal for your bench to not increase as fast as your squat. Microloading, with 1 kg plates could provide a solution.

The problem i had with my squat was purely mental. I was getting enough sleep, enough calories but i could not get past 100kg (2 plates per side). All the while my deadlift was increasing but my squat stayed there for weeks. I finally broke through it after having my ass kicked by a member here (TomV) in my journal. The strength was there, mentally i wasnt. This might be your problem. This will be something you have to do on your own, unfortunately.

I always found squats to be more mentally taxing than deadlifts. Maybe this is your problem. I would stay with SS and keep at it.

Wannabebig Member
    @Lunalicious

Thank you.I will then stick with it. After reading your reply and thinking, it might be the problem. Since I have lifted 65kgs in squat for, well I almost got that 5th rep in every set. Then the session after it feels more heavy. When my squat weight was lower it also did this - one session I will lift it no problem then the next I struggle and then the week after no problem.

I just have to set myself up mentally and lift that weight until I break past that point!

@Tom

Thank you for the information. Just shows you how different it is when you are "lifting in" pounds vs kgs. Well, the biggest plates in our gym is 20kg which gives you 44lbs. Damn that 1lbs now really burst my bubble :P

LuNa
    Its not a bad thing, its what happens. I got stuck on that 100kg for a while. However, just think, if its going to feel heavy anyways, might as well increase the weight.

For me it was the idea of failing a rep and having to let the bar drop on the safety pins. Once i did it with a lower weight to see how it would work, im less "scared" about failing a rep.