Thread: Friends (HOW TO...)

Leave this blank, right?
    I know this will sound pathetic, and some of you already know the situation.

But does anyone have any suggestions on how to make friends? I have acquaintances, and if anyone can give me ideas. I'd appreciate that.
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

Haven't you tried what I told you?

what exactly do you mean ?

Make friends where ?

Bespoke Super Mod
    I don't know about your situation, but have you tried joining some sort of club with people of the same interests as you?

Also, not sure if you work or you go to school but there must be some people that you get on with well, like u said they are aquantainces i'm sure they would not mind if you went out somewhere with them

You must have some people that you are quite close to e.g. people you have grown up with? Next door neighbours dog, Friends of your bro or sisters?

You told me in one post that your quite a good cook, how about cooking a meal and inviting some people over, that's a pretty good way:

Hope I helped a bit
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Making friends takes time,a friend is for life.
    Just be yourself, I was once told that the most friends you will have in life will be the amount of fingers you have on one hand. Anymore and you are blessed or lucky however you look at it.
    The more friends you have the more enemies you will have.
    People will like you for you and it doesn't happen over night.
    I moved to a new city 3 years ago and I only made one friend.Even though I have a girlfriend I still need friends.
    If I didn't have a girlfrined I would still be content because I know he is for real.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

bone crusher
    Yes i agree w/ mac here. Just lost my girl of 4 years due to breakup and i have only 4 friends 1 of whom lives here. One only makes a few true friends but can have many many aquaintances

Canadian
    listen to these guys
    just be yourself.
    making friends can be hard, ecspecially if your shy. school, work or interest groups can be a good place. why not the gym? there gotta be some people u could meet there. my old training partner is one of my best friends. i
    don't know what your situation is but i know when i moved to a new town i got really lonely. but eventually i made friends. i'm sure u will too.

best of luck

bill weston
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Man, you guys are a bunch of pathetic losers!

Pr3-Are you shy or have very low self-esteem? Sometimes these things can make it difficult when trying to meet new people. I find myself to be a little awkward around groups of people I don't know. Just relax, be yourself(unless you are a jackass), and be around. I realize that the more serious I get about working out, the less I socialize. I workout, eat, go to work, sleep and hang out with my GF. Other than that, I am friggin lazy. I haven't seen my good friends in a few weeks. I feel like such a d*ck. But, I know they still love me and I feel the same. Whenever I do come out, they ask me to drink with them, even though they know I won't because of lifting. They are cool with it because they are just happy to see me. When I see them, we can just talk like crazy cause I haven't seen them in a bit. It's really cool IMO. I know I went off on a bit of a rant there, guess I miss my friends. Anyway, like I was trying to say, you won't meet new friends if you don't go places to meet them. Go out, be nice to people, smile, be friendly, but not too friendly to the point of being weird and they will come. Like our friend mac said, "Making friends takes time, a friend is for life."

True, true mac!

Good luck pr3
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Latman gave some killer advice there.. it all rely on self esteem and shyness. I splitted from my friend after HS, from which there's one I consider as my brother as much we were close. Now I'm alone in a city where very little speak my first language, like that was not enough, I feel very uncomfortable around people I don't know and I communicate VERY little. I remember laughing at my mom because she owned a book entitled 'Comment se faire des amis' (How to make friends) At the time I was laughing my ass off at her but now sometime I think of borrowing it lol. Get yourself some book on how to build a solid self esteem and how to act with people. Yes, I can be your friend
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

eh LATMAN... what if you are a Jackass? Jackasses have friends too you know.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I find it hard to make friends as well. It is partially because most people in San Francisco think i'm a racist or some **** like that. People here dont like me because of my political and Religious beliefs. Bigots. It isnt easy being different.

The only "friends" I have that I've made in this city are through work.

Try hooking up with some people through work. If you dont have a job, GET ONE YOU DEADBEAT.

So very alone.......
    Last edited by Budiak; 04-11-2001 at 10:50 PM.

Leave this blank, right?
    You guys are the best ONLINE friends a guy can have...sigh

I appreciate everyone's advice. Taking the time out and trying to help someone is definitely a positive and most blessing thing.

Anyway, just to clarify my situation. I talk to people. It's just trying to get them to talk to me and liking me. I do get intimidated my people i don't know. For example, i do try at the gym. I've been trying to make friends with several people there. I go up and ask them how are they? and if they need a spot, let me know. Or how is school going? but I always feel like I'm doing the talking and I'm theone interested in creating a friendship. they just listen, and of course, chat a bit but they or myself can never take it to that next level of 'hey youwanna come out with me and my friends' or what ever else.

Sometimes i don't care, but there are times when you really just need a friend to talk to and have fun with. Oh boy, this sounds cheesy, but seriously that's how it is.

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    Alright, Heathj and cack, I asked.

For those of you who don't know, it takes a lot for me to ask questions to people.

I am trying to make friends at the gym. I asked this guy today about his spring break and then as I was about to leave, I turned back and asked him when he was doing chest. he said tomorrow. I told him because I need help with my bench. He was like 'sure man just let me know if you need a spot. Anytime. I don't have a problem with that.'

So there you go. I hope I made a friend.

to be continued

You have made the initial contact, now follow through.

Just don't ask him out to dinner, or let him meet your cousin.

Spot your new friend, put a knife to his throat..
    "Lets talk ok?"
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Leave this blank, right?
    SINEP IT WORKED!!!

I grabbed a knife and took the SOB by the neck and he said he would be my friend!!! HOORAY!!!! I didn't know it was so easy. I could have done that years ago!

Anyway, update on the situation. I had to decide whether to go to the gym or film a project for my class tonight.

Well, I opted to film. It was a project on Erin Brokovich. The real one. She was speaking at our university tonight (she's very good looking in person). However, the damn auditorium was packed and I decided not to film anything (which I regret). Anyway, she finished on time, and I still had time to go to the gym. So I rushed off (only had 30 minutes to work out bc gym was closing).

Saw the guy...and I WAS THE ONE THAT SNAPPED MY FINGER AND GOT HIS ATTENTION (damn, never went up to anyone forcefully like this). I wasn't scared! So I asked him if he already did chest...HE DID! DAMN! He was like 'you needa stop coming in late man' (jokingly). But he said 'if you need a spot just call me though'.

My stupid ass opted not to because fear got back in me to ask in such a rush. But at least he is getting to know who I am, and next time it may be better. Thanks guys. for motivating me!

to be continued

Friends are really for life

I have 5 really good friends, that I have known since I was born, for 16years I been with no other then those guys day in and day out. And its cool, Because my high school is a freaking nightmare of all nightmares, last week a gang of guys beated up a girl and her boyfriend for kissing in the school yard, its hell, I am sure you get the point.
    But when I come home, and meet my friends, man it feels good, they are all nice guys that likes to give what they can, friendship.
    jeez, I am getting all mushy and stuff.

And as far as getting friends in the gym, thats easy in norway, I know every damn person who traines in my gym and they know me, the reason its easy in norway is because people who like bodybuilding are so few, so we kinda stick togehter.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Friendships are like money:It's easy to make them,hard to keep them..
    My only real friend is the one who is happy with my happiness:Myself!

I know why pr3 doesn't have any friends...

Leave this blank, right?
    Yeah...because I now look like u.

to be continued

hahahaha

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    You won't make any friends stealing someone's avatar. tuttut
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)