Thread: Need some advice on setting up a barbell club/power-lifting crew

Banned

Need some advice on setting up a barbell club/power-lifting crew

Hi guys,

Here's the situation. I've moved to a new city to do a masters course at university and the uni gym just sucks. Small weight-room, not enough bumper plates, no lifting platform, no power cleans allowed, no overhead pressing allowed (!?), no chalk, the usual bull****.

But it turns out the rowing and rugby teams use this other place the uni keeps quiet which has platforms, power racks and cool stuff like a reverse hyper and a glute/ham raise. I had a chat with the person who runs it and told him even though I no longer play in sports teams I still wanted to train properly and he seemed willing to let me in.

But I want people to train with, and in the standard gym today I met another strong guy doing squats who feels the same. I told him about my trip to the other place and we talked about getting a few people up there who want to train properly. People who do squats and deadlifts and are actually serious about getting stronger. Who are pissed off with standard facilities. And then if people were interested in competing we'd train for that too.

Here's where I need the advice:

• How should I explain this to the coach at the Olympic Weights Room? He probably only wants the sports teams using it and we're just some amateurs as far as he's concerned.
    • How do I get people together? I would put an advert up but I don't want too many to get involved because we might have less chance of getting in.
    • How many people would be a good number to consistently train with? I'm thinking about 10-15 for now.

Any general advice about powerlifting crews or just groups who take strength training seriously would be great.

Think about actually setting up a powerlifting team. Most colleges or universities have powerlifting teams or clubs. If yours doesn't, this would be the ideal thing to do. I don't really think you'll have to worry about too many people. Yeah, initially you might get a couple more but eventually they'll weed themselves out. See what it would take to set up a club through the university like the rugby or rowing team have if they're not actually a varsity team.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    That's a good idea.

The lad I met today trained at another university gym over the summer and apparently they had a powerlifting team. If I go through the university officially then maybe they'll be cool with us using this gym. The coach who runs it for the university is a really big man involved with strength training for national youth rugby so maybe if we ask nicely he might actually get involved and help with some coaching.

I'm just worried they'll shoot us down and say no, not interested, we don't want another group using it. That's why a small number might be better for now.

I'm not real sure how big the university is but one of the colleges here only has about 6-8 guys on their powerlifting team. And depending on schedules and such, you might not be able to work it out that everybody trains at the same time. If the number of people is a concern, then just ask the guy if he minds, or how many would be too many. If he's willing to let you workout there it might not be that big of a deal. No harm is asking if you can invite another couple people to train with you. The worst he can say is only you can train there and at least you might be able to work in with the other guys training there.
    What is elite?

Google your university name and powerlifting and something is bound to show up. I went to U ottawa for 5 years and didnt know we had a PL club until recently when i googled it (going back for masters in jan).
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Offer something to the strength coach. Currently you are the only one that is looking to benifit. Offer something to him. Offer to come in and straighten up the weight room after the athletes train a few times a week. Offer to help spot and load.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Offer something to the strength coach. Currently you are the only one that is looking to benifit. Offer something to him. Offer to come in and straighten up the weight room after the athletes train a few times a week. Offer to help spot and load.
    That's a good point. If you can do something to help out, he's much more likely to help you.
    What is elite?