Thread: Getting discouraged

Getting discouraged

What do you guys do for motivation?

I am gaining weight and lifting more, but I don't seem to look any bigger. I am never going to stop lifting weights, but it is discouraging to see seemingly no difference from when I started SS at the begging of September until now. I have gained 13 pounds from the last time I weighed myself, but I look the same. I can maybe see a tiny difference in my traps/shoulders but it is really stretching it.

When did you start to see noticeable size gains?

i started seeing size gains after about 10lbs, but it's different for everyone. keep eating heavy and lifting heavy and it'll come. the numbers don't lie.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

make it a routine, stop looking for results. It's funny, a few years down the road you'll just one day notice "wow I'm much bigger than I use to be". Like Platypus said, numbers don't lie, track progress by that, not physique.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    make it a routine, stop looking for results....
    Agreed. Too often people suggest using the mirror for motivation. DONT. If anything, take pictures every couple of weeks. This will give you a FAR better idea of your progress. Your progress shows via your weight gain and progression in numbers on the bar.

Time/Patience is without a doubt often the hardest part of this love of ours.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

More important then any specific diet or routine is CONSISTENCY.....

Years and years and years of CONSISTENT lifting and doing your best to stick to a good diet will yeild the real results.

Keep lifting heavy weights and eating right, and never stop. That's how you do it.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    What do you guys do for motivation?
    I set goals. I've recently met the two major goals I had ( benching over 400 and squatting over 600 ). It's time for some new goals for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    When did you start to see noticeable size gains?
    I NEVER notice my size gains. I look in the mirror or see pictures of myself, and I still look skinny and weak to me. But my wife tells me I'm bigger. She says I have bigorexia, she's probably right ( personally I think it's a good thing ).
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-09-2009 at 10:02 AM.

You will know you are making progress when you look at guys that you thought were BIG...but now you realize they don't look all that BIG anymore.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

"I set goals. I've recently met the two major goals I had ( benching over 400 and squatting over 600 ). It's time for some new goals for me." BTO

I feel the same way! I have a waist size goal and have some PR lifting goals! It is really helpful for me,when I am in the gym and it is time to add last bit of weight to the bar,5-10lbs more than I have ever done before,and I don't know if I wanna try that hard. I know that if I didn't have a end goal in mind it would be easy to just leave the weight off the bar and do a nice easy set,but we all know that is not gonna cut it! I also think it is important to set measurable short term and long term goals! Most need both to keep themselves on track! IMO
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Since you are doing starting strength, I bet a lot of the size gains are in your legs and torso, which aren't always so easy to see in the mirror ( I mean, you can see your legs and torso very obviously in the mirror, but I'm talking about the size gains). Adding 2 inches to your legs won't look like a lot in the mirror, but weight wise, that is pretty solid.

Just keep that in my mind.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I think I must also have bigorexia. I looked tiny to myself at 145, now at 170 I still look tiny and weak to myself, even though others say I've gotten "Huge."
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Another thing...get your squat up to 300 lbs for reps (while eating big) and then tell me you don't see a difference
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You will know you are making progress when you look at guys that you thought were BIG...but now you realize they don't look all that BIG anymore.
    I've noticed this too, but then my pessimistic mind kicks in and thinks they probably just lost a bunch of weight. Example would be Vin Diesel, I used to think he had a good sized upper body, then I saw him on Conan and he looked tiny. I think he lost weight though.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    This is exactly how you tell. To yourself usually you will feel somewhat the same even if you gain 40 lbs it still won't feel as much a difference as it actually is. But I have noticed this as well you used to think that person was so huge but then they look scrawny to you.

Wannabebig Member
    I just always want more.
    When I first started working out, I could only put a plate on each side of my bench, and I wanted to be able to put two on there so badly.
    Now I want to be able to put 3 on, and now that I'm almost there...I'll soon be wanting 4.
    I imagine I'll probably want 5 after that, it doesn't seem to end.

I didn't begin to notice gains for a good while. I think part of that problem was how chubby I was when I first started to work out. I began to be able to see some definition in my arms and back after around a year of lifting.
    I can see my physical gains much more clearly now that I cut myself down from 265 to 215. It's easier to see what muscle I've put on now that it isn't hiding.
    Last edited by darkhobo; 11-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Banned
    You wont notice gains unless you compare yourself to a picture 1 year prior at least. You see yourself every day. I gained 40 pounds in 2 years and I still see myself as skinny. My GF got a NICE butt now after doing squats for 6 months...she says she doesnt notice. We looked at a pic of her a year ago and she basically had a back for a butt...now theres a huge curve. I told her to track her progress by seeing how much more weight she pushes on squats day in and day out...thats all you can do. When you start tracking for physique gains you will psyche yourself out.

For motivation, you look at old pictures of yourself before you gained muscle. If you haven't taken a picture of yourself yet, you better do it because you'll appreciate it later on in life.

Take pictures after every bulk cycle or cut cycle and then you'll see improvement. Because you've only been lifting 2 months, you should wait a little longer for your muscles to be noticeably bigger. Remember gaining muscle is a microscopic process. After having an anatomy and physiology class I'm starting to realize how small the muscle fiber cells are. Look it up if you're curious.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

the best marker is the weight your lifting, where are the lifts at compared to where they were?
    Last edited by Skalami; 11-10-2009 at 07:34 PM.