Thread: My wife got diagnosed with cancer on Tuesday

My wife got diagnosed with cancer on Tuesday

F U C K this blows.

I'm 23, she's 22, and she just got diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

We find out tomorrow if she needs chemotherapy or not.

So now we're stuck trying to pay 2100/month in rent+bills on my 1500/month salary.

Cancer's not really something I'd ever thought we'd have to deal with. At least not for another 20-40 years.

Any of you gone through this?

Trying not to die young.

No, but I wish you luck, and I hope you and your wife make it through ok. Sorry to hear man.

wish you all the best man. be strong for your wife

Really sorry to hear it man. Dont hesitate to look to family and friends for help. I hope that you guys make it out ok.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Sorry to hear about that man, be strong for her and yourself and educate and pull both of yourselves through it...
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

damn man, i'm very sorry to hear this. my mom was diagnosed with very late stage breast cancer. without getting into details, don't trust the doctors and do independent research before making any major decisions re: surgery and treatment. best of luck

Wannabebig Member
    Im sorry to hear this, Cancer is no joke. My mother has had cancer on 3 different occasions but she has overcome it. Hang in there.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    My mom went through breast cancer. She's lucked out for the most part and has had really positive experiences with her doctors.

What type of stage 3 is it (a, b...)?

Be careful with your research, there is a lot of garbage out there. In an emotionally distraught situation such as yours, try and keep a clear head on your shoulders and if something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

If you don't like your doctor, don't be afraid to find another one.

Also, don't get overwhelmed with numbers regarding survival rates. Medical procedures are ever-changing, and just because a study says a person with x cancer has a y% chance of survival, it's more than likely that the data is covering a 5 year or 10 year or even more span, and that the current survival rate for patients with your wife's diagnosis is probably higher.

Stay positive (easier said than done, I know). But there are countless studies that show how interconnected emotional well-being and cancer treatment outcomes are. Many hospitals have support groups for patients enduring various ailments, this may be something your wife may find helpful.

Wish you the best.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Best of luck and I wish you the best. My counsin was about 30 when he was diagnosed with colon cancer. About a week after he passed away from it. What were her symptoms?
    Nick V

Thanks everyone for your kind words

The cancer is stage 3, I asked about letters A, B, C and the surgeon told me that the ABC was just their old staging system, so the way things are now 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C and 4 = D.

Stage 3 basically means it's broken through the wall and affected the nearby lymph nodes, but it hasn't yet spread to other organs or areas.

Our surgeon is excellent, very straightforward and honest about everything. Haven't met the oncologist yet but apparently he's a good one (from what the surgeon told us) We'll be meeting him on Tuesday to get a PET scan (like a fancy version of the CAT scan... which made me laugh) and also some genetic testing, and to figure out when we'll start the chemotherapy. (which we found out today that she needs) It'll be 6 weeks of chemo, and 6 weeks recovery, and then the surgery for removal will take place in January.

Trying not to die young.

I hope all goes well!
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

One thing I decided after seeing my brother in-law waste away from Leukemia--if you can afford or have good enough insurance, GO TO THE BEST and go there immediately. Don't base the quality of the treatment on your personal opinion of the doctor.

Go to MD Anderson (Houston), John's Hopkins (Baltimore), Duke, etc. Research it. Make some calls. Pick one, and go. There's a big difference in treatment when a hospital specializes in something.

Chemo is unbelievably hard on the body. You only get a few chances before it starts to take its toll. My bro in-law had FOURTEEN rounds of chemo and two stem cell transplants in less than a year. He ended up at MD Anderson the last few months of his life, but he was so diminshed and frail by that time that the only thing he could do was clinical trials.

You only have one life..one chance to be alive, to live, to experience. Pick the best, even if it costs more or you can't afford it. Her life is priceless to both of you.

A life in debt is one million percent better than no life at all.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CainMcCloud View Post
    No, but I wish you luck, and I hope you and your wife make it through ok. Sorry to hear man.
    Same here bro, damn bro sux, I wish her the best and hope the $$$ works out okay.

Stay strong-
    Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Best of luck man, I'll be prayin for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

I wish you and your wife all the best in dealing with this horrible disease.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Im so sorry to hear that man. My girlfriend's and my prayers are out for you two.
    Sarvamangalam!

Sorry to hear...hope everything goes well.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Like mrelwodowd said, try and get her in the best institution possible!

My mother is battling leukemia now, she first went to Georgetown where they were going to put her through the regular run of the mill treatment. She actually ended up transferring to Johns Hopkins University Hospital where they continued the first treatment... it didn't work, she came out of remission. She is now undergoing a treatment that is not yet approved by the FDA, BUT it seems to be working

Explore all possibilities, and I hope your insurance will pick up a large portion, the co-pays alone will eat your bank account dry.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by fpr; 11-09-2009 at 08:13 PM.

I wish you two well in the upcoming months. Stay strong.

Sorry to hear about your wife having cancer and at such a young age...God be with you all and your families.

I wish you and your wife the best of wishes. Make sure you find the best medical care you can. Eat as healthy as possible and spend as much time together as possible.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Best of luck to you and your wife, man. Stay strong with her and you both can pull through it and live a long and happy life.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle