The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 91 of 225 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 5624
    "Know that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute."

Even if 1 or 2 planets do not have creatures whose number no man can compute out of billions of planets the statement is wrong, but as it stands not one other planet that we can study can support life at this point in time.

Amazing how wrong this statement is yet I have a mate who thinks I can not "disprove it". I can not disprove he was born in NZ but he was, I also can not prove he was.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Good man Nick. Great squats!! I have to walk out too. Its getting annoying.

As for that statement, I would take it to mean that the number of planets with their own life is beyond comprehension.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Good job on the squats. What on plan for bringing the legs up? More squatting lol?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Oh boy, I read that statement (I have seen it before) and thought I have a lot to type. Sorry, I'm high on coffee and philosophy is a hobby of mine - so since the statement irritates me, I have some writing to do. haha First, I have an issue with the statement itself, ďevery fixed starĒÖ Wow, I didnít realize stars were in fixed positions. Freakiní Copernicus was wrong!

The burden of proof is with your friend. He wants you to prove there is no life on those planets, but itís logically impossible to prove an absolute negative (which you correctly pointed out). Prove to me there is not a purple unicorn with pink spots somewhere in the universe. It canít be done without infinite knowledge of the universe and by definition, only one being has that ability. Your mateís challenge is wrong-headed because it canít be done within an appropriate logical framework. However, we can make a decision based on the weight of the evidence.

Claiming there is life on every planet (or even most) is just scientifically irresponsible (and lame). The probability that any given planet has the conditions necessary to support life is extremely small. The planet must be the right distance from the star so water can exist in a liquid state (for carbon-based life), the right atmosphere for protection from cosmic radiation, right temperature to sustain life, correct oxygen and nitrogen levels, etc. Iím not saying life doesnít exist out there, because I think the odds are in favor of it and I personally believe there is other intelligent life out there. But to make the claim that life exists on every planet or even 1% of planets is simply not backed by the evidence.

Finally, your friend isnít making an original statement, Iíve heard that crap before, itís a Bahai teaching (I used to work with a Bahai follower, real nice lady). The logical problem with Bahai is that they claim to be the only faith that is in unity with other faiths, they believe the teachings from the various faiths all came from the same source and are all valid, thereby accepting the contradictions that exist, which is also logically inconsistent because when two belief systems make an opposite truth claim (as they indeed do), both cannot be true -- truth by definition is exclusive. Itís the law of non-contradiction (A is not non-A), it can't be argued, just ask Socrates. To conclude, I reject your friend's statement on all of the above-mentioned grounds: the source of the statement, the evidence for the claim and the logical consistency (or lack thereof) behind it. Ok sorry for the rant, but that was enjoyable.

(passing the blunt) I think there is another me somewhere in the billions of galaxies out there, and if hes out deadlifting me im going to be highly pissed off! Ill definately kick his ass though if I ever meet him...
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thanks John, Justin, Thomas, Steve and BC!!!!!

Your spot on Thomas............just squat more but this time round I will raw squat for 5s as a builder as often as I can.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Oh boy, I read that statement (I have seen it before) and thought I have a lot to type. Sorry, I'm high on coffee and philosophy is a hobby of mine - so since the statement irritates me, I have some writing to do. haha First, I have an issue with the statement itself, ďevery fixed starĒÖ Wow, I didnít realize stars were in fixed positions. Freakiní Copernicus was wrong!

The burden of proof is with your friend. He wants you to prove there is no life on those planets, but itís logically impossible to prove an absolute negative (which you correctly pointed out). Prove to me there is not a purple unicorn with pink spots somewhere in the universe. It canít be done without infinite knowledge of the universe and by definition, only one being has that ability. Your mateís challenge is wrong-headed because it canít be done within an appropriate logical framework. However, we can make a decision based on the weight of the evidence.

Claiming there is life on every planet (or even most) is just scientifically irresponsible (and lame). The probability that any given planet has the conditions necessary to support life is extremely small. The planet must be the right distance from the star so water can exist in a liquid state (for carbon-based life), the right atmosphere for protection from cosmic radiation, right temperature to sustain life, correct oxygen and nitrogen levels, etc. Iím not saying life doesnít exist out there, because I think the odds are in favor of it and I personally believe there is other intelligent life out there. But to make the claim that life exists on every planet or even 1% of planets is simply not backed by the evidence.

Finally, your friend isnít making an original statement, Iíve heard that crap before, itís a Bahai teaching (I used to work with a Bahai follower, real nice lady). The logical problem with Bahai is that they claim to be the only faith that is in unity with other faiths, they believe the teachings from the various faiths all came from the same source and are all valid, thereby accepting the contradictions that exist, which is also logically inconsistent because when two belief systems make an opposite truth claim (as they indeed do), both cannot be true -- truth by definition is exclusive. Itís the law of non-contradiction (A is not non-A), it can't be argued, just ask Socrates. To conclude, I reject your friend's statement on all of the above-mentioned grounds: the source of the statement, the evidence for the claim and the logical consistency (or lack thereof) behind it. Ok sorry for the rant, but that was enjoyable.
    Good points!!

It irritates me no end when people make rubbish statements that later (as we discover more and more) need to be twisted by people who want to believe them.

The statement is completley illogical, there are billions and billions of planets so the chance of every single one having lots of creatures is ZERO.

You can twist it all you want but his statement is bogus, it is not even just slightly wrong it is way way off!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

"Every Man needs to be tortured"

"Oh what he meant was, every Man needs disipline"

Twisting words is 100% wrong in ANY degree large or small.

It only matters what he said not what anyone thinks he meant...
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Haulin Steel my favorite day of the week.

Sumo 7.75" block pulls-
    135 x3
    225 x1
    315 x1
    405 x1
    495 x1 fastest this weight has ever moved Raw
    Add suit with loose straps and belt
    585 x1 fast
    635 x1 fast
    675 x1 lost balance at top, peeved me of
    700 x1 PR better but form was off, balance was hard VIDEO
    700x1 PR better but not much
    700 x1 PR getting better VIDEO

I know I know the same weight 3 times is not 3 PRs but I was getting tired so that felt like it lol

SLDL 4" deficit-
    135 x6
    135 x6
    135 x6
    135 x12

Peacock pulldowns-
    120 x50

Calve raises-
    21 PR

Hammer curls-
    30 x6 super super slow

Abs tomorrow with blood flow stuff after I fly a fighter bomber my GF has paid for me to do THANKS GEMMA.

In the end I worked out where I was going wrong but was tired by that point, if my form was spot on I would have pulled 720 like I wanted.......next time.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Not my best work but i'll take it, this was my third pull of 700 tonight.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Banned
    I love the way the belt gets thrown off after the set. Seriously that is strong as hell... three sets with 700 is crazy! You're for real Nick. Flying the bomber should be a blast, your girl sounds like a good one.

Daaaamn! 700 baby! Bet that felt awesome.

Banned
    Have fun flying the fighter Nick. That sounds awesome!

Epic deadlift. That was massive.

And have fun flying - something I've always wanted to have a go at. Sure it'll be great.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Nice job Nick, strong pulls brother!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

That's great work.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

TJW
    Awesome work Nick! That pull was crazy. Keep up the great work and have fun with the bomber!

Impressive vid, you are hardcore and then some.

Way to kill it Nick! And im frickin jealous as hell you getting to fly. Should be awesome!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thank you very much Steve, Borracho, Dan F, Gazzy G, Tank, Marcus, Gatorman, Traps (Coke) and BC!!!!!

Love following you guys and love the way we feed off each other!!

Now for the flying the Warbird fighter plane.

HOLY ****.........NEVER done anything like that..........there are almost no rules......gravity is not even in the picture.

We did all moves like barell rolls, loops drop turns and the best STALL drop turns into 6G'S baby..................this was freakin amazing!!!!!

You fly down a little and get to full speed (260 mile per hour) then go straight up vertical then he lets off all power and you slow into a stall where you just float/ hang in the air still 100% vertical, then tip the to the right wing so you have no ****ing idea where you are then BOOM straight down full speed and pull up into 5-6 Gs!

Words cant really explain how different it is to anything on land, there just feels like no rules and nothing other than the horizon to gauge where you are and no reset button to straighten you up.

I flew for 1 minute and had us upside dowm I WAS IN CONTROL UPSIDE DOWN looking down 1 mile and trying to correct us.......after that I could not handle it and had to get pilot to take over.

I had mtion sicknees for 45 mins.

INSANE.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Lats and blood flow day 1 day late due to the flying wiping me out.

Pulldowns wide grip behind head-
    60 x12
    140 x40 PR

Band rows-
    15 high
    15 high

Peacocks-
    50 x160

Band rows-
    10 low
    20 low

Dumbell shrugs-
    30s x50
    Last edited by NickAus; 03-05-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Sounds like an amazing experience! Something you'll remember for the rest of your life - though tbh, you should be used to being upside down, you're on the wrong end of the world as it is! :P
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

That sounds like alot of fun, glad to see you enjoyed yourself.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I flew for 1 minute and had us upside dowm I WAS IN CONTROL UPSIDE DOWN looking down 1 mile and trying to correct us.......after that I could not handle it and had to get pilot to take over.
    Indeed, that is quite insane - you are obviously quite daring and adventurous to say the least, lol.

Nasty block pulls 3x! You're building towards the 800 endgame. Very cool experience Goose