The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Reverse Hyper - to WSB athletes..

I figured those that have worked with Louie will know better. I had a thread about my first injury and I was recommended the reverse hyper. Thanks to Tom M, Ehubbard, and bodybygamma, I was able to use such a machine. The source of the pain however was diagnosed as sacroiliac pain. My question is will the reverse hyper target such an injury?
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Depending on the type of injury, yes the reverse hyper would be a big benefit.

When you swing your legs forward, focus on letting the weight stretch you out as far as possible. Then when you swing your legs back and up, make sure you lift your head at the top and arch your back a bit.

Keep the weight light for a little while and then begin adding weight. Just be consistent with it.

Rehabbing the sacroiliac joint will take some time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Virtron View Post
    I figured those that have worked with Louie will know better. I had a thread about my first injury and I was recommended the reverse hyper. Thanks to Tom M, Ehubbard, and bodybygamma, I was able to use such a machine. The source of the pain however was diagnosed as sacroiliac pain. My question is will the reverse hyper target such an injury?
    If you are referring to the Reverse Hyperextension machine at Coliseum that is not a real Reverse Hyper. The pendulum action is a hige part of the RH and that machine does not provide for the traction of the spine that a real Westside RH would.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    If you are referring to the Reverse Hyperextension machine at Coliseum that is not a real Reverse Hyper. The pendulum action is a hige part of the RH and that machine does not provide for the traction of the spine that a real Westside RH would.

Ah, this is a good point

If you are using a machine, it's not going to help nearly as much as the real reverse hyper would

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That IS true, especially for the reason you're looking to use it Virtron.

This is probably similar to what they have, I've used something similar to this at a commercial gym:

It stops you when your legs are about perpendicular to the floor.

What you want is something that swings all the way forward, like this:

(Don't pay attention to that guy's form, he's supposed to be demonstrating the improper way to use it. You just want that range of motion)
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Ah, this is a good point

If you are using a machine, it's not going to help nearly as much as the real reverse hyper would
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    That IS true, especially for the reason you're looking to use it Virtron.

This is probably similar to what they have, I've used something similar to this at a commercial gym:

It stops you when your legs are about perpendicular to the floor.

What you want is something that swings all the way forward, like this:

(Don't pay attention to that guy's form, he's supposed to be demonstrating the improper way to use it. You just want that range of motion)
    So, does that make it useless as a rehabbing tool? I mean for some reason NYC is like this blackhole... there are no reverse hypers anywhere. Its a pulley with plates and the platform is tilted down like 30 degrees.
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Its not going to help you that much, no. Its still got the concentric part of the motion, but the swinging is where you get the spinal fluid flushing into the spine and what's going to help your rehab process.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thats our Reverse Hyper, its pretty nasty.

I'd thought I'd just chime in with how we are all now pausing at the top of the extension, and none of us really use more than 2 plates (I struggle with two 25's) now. I use to do the swinging thing with 10 plates on there without resisting the motion, and it actually caused more pain in my lower back. I havn't had ANY problems since I started doing it, and I probally only use it once a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Thats our Reverse Hyper, its pretty nasty.

I'd thought I'd just chime in with how we are all now pausing at the top of the extension, and none of us really use more than 2 plates (I struggle with two 25's) now. I use to do the swinging thing with 10 plates on there without resisting the motion, and it actually caused more pain in my lower back. I havn't had ANY problems since I started doing it, and I probally only use it once a month...
    There's a difference between doing them heavy, and doing them too heavy with sloppy form. I attribute heavy reverse hypers to a lot of my squat and deadlift
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

There's a difference between doing them heavy, and doing them too heavy with sloppy form. I attribute heavy reverse hypers to a lot of my squat and deadlift
    Bingo.

If they were causing you more pain you were most likely doing something wrong with your positioning.

A lot of people try and go up to high on the reverse with their legs

So I dunno.. I used the reverse hyper at coliseum gym and I think it swings really well. I watched this video from elitefts.com and I did exactly that. It swung forward and I arched on the swing back. I used 50lb.

Hey Lones, where did you get that picture of the guy on the reverse hyper from? Was that an article or a video clip?
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Hey Lones, where did you get that picture of the guy on the reverse hyper from? Was that an article or a video clip?
    Check the URL, I got it from a Diesel crew article
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com