The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Olympic or Powerlifting?

Hello all,

I've decided to step back and rethink what I am doing. I am trying to minimize time in the gym to three days a week instead of my current four(BGB Routine). This is because I hate the gym now. When I started lifting I was at a nice gym by my house in High School, and it was a lot of fun because the people were nice as well as the equipment. However, now that I am in college I can no longer go to that gym. The university's gym is pretty rough, and I'm talking almost unsafe because some of the bars seem to be about to come apart. I found a Club Fitness beside campus, but everything it has is machines and a few free weights -- not to mention the people who workout and work there are in a whole different league of cocky pricks. So I'm looking into a three day program. I am just looking to continue bettering my overall condition. I enjoy both styles of lifting, but I would like to get your opinions on which would be better for general fitness. Also, the two things I love to see grow are shoulders and legs. Any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Zach

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Transfer to a different school. My college had a beautiful gym, small but nice. I now wish I had gotten into lifting before I graduated. Maybe it's best that I didn't because I would be spoiled.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Does your school have an "Athletes Only" facility? Both schools I have attended did and I simply called the S&C coach, explained Im a competitive weightlifter and needed access to a solid set of bars and bumper plates and they were more than accomodating.

For general fitness: GPP/Crossfit. But, you can do GPP with both PL and WL, so, thats your call. Both camps have a learning curve and their respective sets of followers.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

If you've never done Oly lifting before, it's going to take some time to learn the lifts and how to do them properly which is often very very difficult without a coach.

Powerlifting might be a better route.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Aside from the default 'find a new place to lift' answer (which would be my first response too) i'd say based on what you posted; wanting total body training and specifically shoulders and legs, i'd say you pretty much answered your own question. Olympic lifting is just that. Add that it builds strength and power that carries over to everything, which cant be said for the other disciplines as easily.

But, as Travis pointed out, if you dont know how to olympic lift, you really should learn how to properly, and depending on a billions different things, it could possibly take a very long time. Dont let that discourage you though, if thats your choice... you have to try it first, and who knows? you could pick it up quickly, or at least enough to progress and gain. Also keep in mind many gyms wont appreciate you powerlifting... and sadly almost none would tolerate weightlifting.

Doing olympic lifts with unsafe equipment sounds like a recipe for injuries. I don't want to be snatching and have the bar come apart on me...

I agree with what Zen said, it was the same way at my school, too. Talk to the strength and conditioning coach.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Doing olympic lifts with unsafe equipment sounds like a recipe for injuries. I don't want to be snatching and have the bar come apart on me...
    Right, or the sleeves not spin and you break/hurt your wrists.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Thanks for the replies. I use the athlete's gym, and that is the condition it is in. There is no other gym to go to aside from Club Fitness. However, the school has an Oly lifting team. Derrick Johnson is the coach, don't know of any know who he is. The school bought all new Bumper plates, 3 platforms, and 6 very nice bars for the team. I shoot competitively which made it hard to join the team. Now that season is over I'm going to talk to Derrick about lifting while shooting is done.

Did you know the Adidas Shooting Shoes are the same as the Adidas WL shoes? Interesting tidbit I picked up recently.
    Sarvamangalam!