The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

What got you guys into equipped lifting?

To the equipped lifters out there....

What got you into equipped lifting?

I'm not bashing equipped lifters.... i have the utmost respect for them. They train very hard and are very strong... Lets face it, multiply squat suit or not, 1000lbs is still 1000lbs on your back. Thats ridiculous.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I still lift raw.. but I'd like to get into equipped eventually just so I can hit a 1000lb squat.. I think it would be amazing having 1000+lbs on my back..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I'm close enough to Columbia, SC that after my last bodybuilding competition I wanted to get stronger. There were some strongmen that train at SC Barbell that told me to come up and try it out. Well the Saturday I went up they had moved to another location but Marc Bartley and crew were squatting that day. I hung around, attempted some lifting and was fascinated by the strength. Being in that atmosphere made me learn more and the love of the equipment grew from that.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

When I started out in 2000. The word RAW wasnt even around. Powerlifitng WAS equipment. Back then just about every fed just had 1 division and with that in mind know body wanted to show up to a gun fight wearing a knife.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    To the equipped lifters out there....

What got you into equipped lifting?
    Like Scott, I've done both and train mostly raw, however benching with that stupid amount of weight in your hands is an absolute rush.

I really enjoy both forms of lifting but for me, I've found that the combination of both types is what has allowed me to continue to excel

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Like Scott, I've done both and train mostly raw, however benching with that stupid amount of weight in your hands is an absolute rush.

I really enjoy both forms of lifting but for me, I've found that the combination of both types is what has allowed me to continue to excel
    Agreed. I also find that my equipped lifting has carryover to my raw lifting.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I started powerlifting in my early 40's, got introduced to gear, I train mostly raw. I like gear because it makes me feel I'm protected more from injury going for max lifts. I do compete in both.

Banned
    I started squatting equipped because it keeps my hips from aching. I then started deadlifting equipped for the same reason. I then found that benching in a shirt keeps my shoulders feeling good. It's also a big rush being able to lift more weight. I still do quite a bit of raw training, though.

Injuries... When i first competed in powerlifting it was in college years ago. I wore an old Inzer Z suit, benched raw and deadlifted RAW. I hated trying to get into an old inzer blast shirt, and after an episode where I got stuck in one because I was stupid and ended up cutting it off myself, I said the heck with that. A shoulder injury got me into trying to bench in a single ply denim shirt. I sucked in the denim and went back to RAW benching, but I felt like I beat my shoulders up. I went back to the single ply denim, go pissed at it, and then moved to a poly shirt. So its a progression... i go back and forth.

I guess at some point I'm going to move to mulitiply, but right now I really haven't decided yet.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Like having the extra weight in my hands, find the training more fun.
    Started doing a little more raw work lately and I do like it heaps but still prefer gear.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by WillKuenzel View Post
    I'm close enough to Columbia, SC that after my last bodybuilding competition I wanted to get stronger. There were some strongmen that train at SC Barbell that told me to come up and try it out. Well the Saturday I went up they had moved to another location but Marc Bartley and crew were squatting that day. I hung around, attempted some lifting and was fascinated by the strength. Being in that atmosphere made me learn more and the love of the equipment grew from that.
    Pretty much my exact same story. Got into a powerlifting gym, and was fascinated.

Training in gear also adds a whole new element of difficulty. Technique gets even more important
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Pretty much my exact same story. Got into a powerlifting gym, and was fascinated.

Training in gear also adds a whole new element of difficulty. Technique gets even more important
    Same for me.

I figure if I am going to train like a powerlifter I might as well compete. And if I am going to compete, might as well compete as a powerlifter. At the moment all I have used is a squat suit but later I will use more gear... as long as it's IPF legal .
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

Wannabebig Member
    Powerlifting to me is huge men lifting the largest amounts of weight humanly possible with Slayer blasting over the loudspeakers. This is usually achieved with gear. And it makes it more fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    When I started out in 2000. The word RAW wasnt even around. Powerlifitng WAS equipment. Back then just about every fed just had 1 division and with that in mind know body wanted to show up to a gun fight wearing a knife.
    I have to agree with Scott also!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post

I have to agree with lones also!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I competed 1st in the mid 80s. I used an Inzer Blast shirt and a Super Suit for the same reasons mentioned earlier; wasn't going to a gun fight with a knife (The 1st rule of a gun fight is "bring a gun!"). After a long retirement from comps (15 years) I came back and used equipment for the same reason. As someone mentioned Raw was never a division of powerlifting. We had always used whatever was availiable to lift more. I came back in 2001 and was just starting to hear and read about raw comps. I did my 1st raw meet (sanctioned) in 2008 and I've competed since the "good old days". I like doing raw, single and multi-ply meets so I'm not bashing raw. I just what it understood that it is a new trend and not how we lifted in the 'old days'. The guys that didn't use it pretty much didn't because they didn't get comfortable enough to function in it. Not because of some philosophical or 'holy' reason. I compete single and raw simply to (as we all do in this sport if we're honest) show off. To show I can excel and rank at or near the top of the ranking both open and master (53 Y.O.) in all 3 styles of competition. If we didn't have a need to compete or 'show off' our strength we'd just lift in the gym and keep our #s to ourselves. Face it; even life is a competition.

All that being said, I hope it leaves a feel for how I think on the subject. I train mainly geared. Two reasons: One is I'm old with old joints! Two is I like moving the most weight possible and the challenge of learning to get the most out of it, and the training overload in the gear has made my raw lifts stronger as well.

My favorite is multi-ply. I like the battle! The battle of conquering the most weight possible! I also think it's fun being real good at all 3 styles!

One more point. The gear has definately prolonged my career! And for that I'm very thankful!!!!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I started off with a z-suit last year, which helped alleviate a lot of pain in my hips. After training with this a few months, I tried some better single-ply material and began to look forward to the challenge of perfecting my technique with gear. Aside from being able to throw heavier weight around more frequently, my squat suit and shirt help me train around old injuries and maybe prevent new ones. My shirt is a couple of sizes too big but still helps preserve my shoulders and add some weight to my bench.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

I like moving heavy weight. Equipment lets me move even heavier weight.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    For all of you guys that have been lifting for a while, what are your thoughts on the gear these days? Seems like "old school" gear is nothing compared to today's multiply beastly gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    For all of you guys that have been lifting for a while, what are your thoughts on the gear these days? Seems like "old school" gear is nothing compared to today's multiply beastly gear.
    Now you're starting the gear debate, which has been hashed over and over again

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Oops, honestly didnt realize i was treading dangerous ground. I'm completely new to geared lifting, i know next to nothing about it. Just trying to see what the pros think.

Guess i'll steer clear from the topic.......
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 11-11-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    My introduction the sport came from reading Louie Simmons and Dave Tate's articles on the web about how Westside Barbell trained. While most of the training concepts in those old articles were not gear-specific per se, they were definitely used with great success by full gear lifters. I just automatically thought of geared lifting as the main thing in the sport. Shortly after my first meet- a cluster**** experience, but fun all the same- I started training at North Georgia BB. At that point, everyone there competed in APF, WPO or APC. I wanted to get as good as the lifters around me adn that meant competing in gear.

I started training raw like anyone, and I did my first meet raw. I did not like geared lifting, i did not like the way the gear felt and thought it was a real pain in the ass + to expensive.

Then I found a local meet which allowed gear, I didn't want to get my ass kicked so i bought a bunch of gear. I think my first experience in gear was the fact that it was cheap gear (zsuits etc) and it was painful to wear and gave very little carryover. Today I enjoy training in gear or raw, both are challenging in different ways. I don't care much about equipment or rules, i just want to hit some heavy lifts.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I like lifting more weigh in the gear, I enjoy the fact that it's very technical and requires a large element of skill to use well. I've also always liked to be able to compare myself based on the #'s on lists like the PLUSA Top 100, and it's much easier to rank higher with multiply gear.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Because O'Doyle rules.
    Roll Tide.