Thread: Katana vs. super Katana

Wannabebig Member

Katana vs. super Katana

Other than the actual physical differences, what has everyone noticed about the performance differences of the shirt.

I have a SK. I've been told they are harder to touch in than a Katana, and they're a stronger shirt. I haven't used a regular Katana. I also have a F-6 and the SK is quite a bit more shirt than the F-6. For me, it's definetly harder to touch in my SK than my F-6. Also with the SK's scoop neck it's easier to "jack" the shirt and get more out of it. I probably get at least 50 more lbs. out of my SK. Hope this helps.

JP,
    The main differance is the material & the scoop neck... I agree w/ Jay in that its definitely harder to touch in a SK than a reg.K or F6. SK has the heavier NXG super + material...

Same stuff the Centurion suit is made of! Hvy, stiff material for sure bro... The 1-ply is almost like an inzer 2-ply!!

If you have any further tech. questions I'd give Ken Anderson a call @ anderson powerlifting.com... He's the best Titan guy out there IMHO.
    RC

Wannabebig Member
    The Material in the Super Katana is exactly the same as the Standard Katana.
    The only difference is the Scoop neck, and the re-inforced collar which looks to be 3-4 plys. I have no idea how the superkatana was IPF approved.

I have 3 AS Katana's and am currently testing a Super Katana.
    From my first session in the Super Katana it's harder to touch in, but gives a bit more pop, and also leaves shirt bites in different places

I've found in both shirts that too much elbow tuck makes harder to touch,
    with less tuck getting more pop off the chest

here's me doing triples in both my loose 50 Katana and a Super Katana with 50 chest and 48 arms.
    EDIT: Can't post link but it's username macmadnz on youtube

Both are loose enough to get on myself, I have a 48 Katana that I use for comps that needs 180kg to touch IPF sternum ( can touch less if want to be red lighted ) and a 46 that I can get 200kg to a 1 board but haven't touched in yet.

With both Katana and Super you need to actively row the weight to chest.
    When I first got the 48 ( second hand ) I couldn't get 200kg halfway to chest, only learnt to touch once I figured out how to row the shirt.

If changing from a F6 or similar shirt go up a size in Katana.
    the good thing about the Katana material is that it's practically indestructable
    I've done about 6 comps in my 48 and it's still no easier to touch in. Unlike my Metal King suits which have developed runs in the material after only a few training sessions or 2 comp's. 1 king suit didn't even get to a comp before developing a run
    Last edited by macmad; 11-19-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the explanation. I have a 52 super SS coming. Hopefully it goes well.
    Last edited by JPanella; 11-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macmad View Post
    The Material in the Super Katana is exactly the same as the Standard Katana.
    The only difference is the Scoop neck, and the re-inforced collar which looks to be 3-4 plys. I have no idea how the superkatana was IPF approved.

I have 3 AS Katana's and am currently testing a Super Katana.
    From my first session in the Super Katana it's harder to touch in, but gives a bit more pop, and also leaves shirt bites in different places

I've found in both shirts that too much elbow tuck makes harder to touch,
    with less tuck getting more pop off the chest

here's me doing triples in both my loose 50 Katana and a Super Katana with 50 chest and 48 arms.
    EDIT: Can't post link but it's username macmadnz on youtube

Both are loose enough to get on myself, I have a 48 Katana that I use for comps that needs 180kg to touch IPF sternum ( can touch less if want to be red lighted ) and a 46 that I can get 200kg to a 1 board but haven't touched in yet.

With both Katana and Super you need to actively row the weight to chest.
    When I first got the 48 ( second hand ) I couldn't get 200kg halfway to chest, only learnt to touch once I figured out how to row the shirt.

If changing from a F6 or similar shirt go up a size in Katana.
    the good thing about the Katana material is that it's practically indestructable
    I've done about 6 comps in my 48 and it's still no easier to touch in. Unlike my Metal King suits which have developed runs in the material after only a few training sessions or 2 comp's. 1 king suit didn't even get to a comp before developing a run
    Hey I have an F6 thats pretty loose. I can get it on by myself and get it positioned pretty well without any help, would you still recommend going up a size?
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    if your F6 is that loose stay the same size in Katana AS.
    Most of the guys wearing F6 here in Australia have them ultra tight which
    is why I recommend going up a size in Katana

Awesome thanks! I probably won't look into getting one for some time seeing as I've only worn my f6 to one meet but thats good to know.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Macmad,

Ooops, you are correct sir... Reg. K has the Same material as the SK w/o the scooped reinforced collar.

RC