The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

234.6 before SS 234.6 after SS

Hi, I've been hovering around 232 - 238 for the past year. One time last month I got done to 228.5, but was back over 230 an hour later. I dont know, but i'm kinda frustrated with always seeing the same weight. The weight # itself is no issue to me, but what is the issue is my hard work with what feels like little to no reward. Should I even be looking at the #? Or should i just continue to train very hard and let the mirror be my scale?..

I do feel much stronger, and have gained considerably alot in my legs since Starting Strength, but still weigh the exact same. My belly did get smaller all the way around, which would lead me to believe. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle but, it's so hard for me to even tell.

Lately we have switched to a Strength workout of one of the power lifts IE: Dead, Squat, Power Press, Bench, Hang Cleans, Front squat 5x3 and than we go into a crossfit type workout for metabolic conditioning. My lungs and heart have defnitly responded, I have noticed my muscle endurance levels up highly.

My diet is not the best, but it's not the worst by far. I'm getting solid 200gs of protein a day and keeping my carbs under 300 fat around 100. I intake probably 100gs throughout a bad day of just sugar carbs (I like to drink Arizona Arnold Palmer Iced Teas) sometime I have 2 and they are 43gs of sugar a peice.

At this pace, I'm wondering if i'll ever be "lighter" or if I'm just meant to stick around this weight. And maybe one day I could be 234 at a reasonable body fat percentage. My stubborn belly fat i've had for yyeeaaarrs and it's been very tough to get off. Lately i've been putting in about 5 days of lifting a week, along with 3 days of about 2 hours of basketball, and 2 days of swimming for about 1/2 hour.

Regardless here are pics of my Before SS and after SS, if you notice a difference or have any suggestions, comments or critiques please feel free.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -deltoids anonomous

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Without a doubt you have certainly lost a considerable amount of fat and have quite clearly made great progress on SS so you should be proud of the progress you have made, when you say "My diet is not the best, but it's not the worst by far" can you can you expand on this further? How many calories are you consuming each day and are you consistent in tracking your macros every day?

Obviously everyone is different so you have to adjust your macros slightly up or down but i've noticed a massice difference in my BF over a 4 week period of tracking my macros on fitday with 2400cals and ensuring I keep my protein intake at least 240g with similar fat to yourself.
    Last edited by DavyRen; 11-14-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Definitely have lost some belly fat. Nice job.

I would guess that cutting your carbs will help you lose the rest of that stubborn fat. From what it sounds like, you're a bit like me where it's painful to get any progress while taking in a significant amount of carbs.
    "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however." - Richard Bach

It looks like you recomposed. You should be very pleased. Keep it up, and if you dont like where it is going, align your diet in such a way that it meets your goals.
    Sarvamangalam!

you're a lot less flabby, which means you definitely lost some fat. good job! And if you lost fat but still stayed at the same weight, you must have gained a little muscle too. which means...SUCCESS!
    Last edited by snikez; 11-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    It looks like you recomposed. You should be very pleased. Keep it up, and if you dont like where it is going, align your diet in such a way that it meets your goals.
    I agree with ZenMonkey 100%. You're doing a great recomp. If you want to put on more size up the cals. If you think it's time to cut instead of recomp cut back on the cals. Your progress may not be noticable on the scale but it definatley is in the pics. Good work.
    Last edited by given'er; 11-14-2009 at 12:13 PM.

UD2......you'll lose fat.

That is awesome! I hope I can make a transformation, well I don't hope, I know I will, but good job man, keep it up, and remember, the best inspiration is the one you make for yourself.

Also, do your friends recognize you? Your face is a lot tighter and looks a lot different in the second one.
    Last edited by CainMcCloud; 11-14-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Stop drinking the Iced Tea. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Stop drinking the Iced Tea. Seriously.
    the hardest thing of all..

I appreciate the encouragement.

I definitely should think about cutting, with controlled amounts of simple carbs I beleive. Maybe even carb load for 3 days and no carbs for 4..

I am about to assume a fitness test within a few days and shall let you know what they assess my body age
    -deltoids anonomous

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    UD2......you'll lose fat.
    UD2.0 is NOT RECCOMMENDED for someone over 12%BF.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    UD2.0 is NOT RECCOMMENDED for someone over 12%BF.
    I thought it was about 15%. Still, a more normal cut could work. A simple thing such as tapering off carbs a long the day could help you loose some fat.

It says the lower you start the better and I thin 15-10 is probably fine. But, diet is similar training... use what is simple and works until you need something more complex.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-15-2009 at 07:47 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

It says the lower you start the better and I thin 15-10 is probably fine. But, diet is similar training... use what is simple and works until you need something more complex.
    UD2.0 is the pinnacle of beating the crap out of yourself, you really need to get sub 12% before even thinking about it - if you cannot get there, you won't be really getting the full use out of it. Its rough you know, the idea behind getting quite low to start with is that you already have the will power/disipline to do things the right way.

Thats how I look at it anyway.

UD2.0 is the pinnacle of beating the crap out of yourself, you really need to get sub 12% before even thinking about it - if you cannot get there, you won't be really getting the full use out of it. Its rough you know, the idea behind getting quite low to start with is that you already have the will power/disipline to do things the right way.

Yea, I did UD2 once and got to 7ish. I dont think Ill ever do anything that extreme again. Im quite happy floating around 10%.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yea, I did UD2 once and got to 7ish. I dont think Ill ever do anything that extreme again. Im quite happy floating around 10%.
    Where can I buy UD2.0? Can you put a link to a website?
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

I think you can get it on amazon. Its written by Lyle McDonald. He has two Q&A forums, bodyrecomposition.com(net?) and monkeyisland.com(net?). I think you can get it there as well.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think you can get it on amazon. Its written by Lyle McDonald. He has two Q&A forums, bodyrecomposition.com(net?) and monkeyisland.com(net?). I think you can get it there as well.
    Found it on bodyrecomposition.com. It says you have to train 4 days a week. Is that your routine, or is that a prescribed routine from the book?
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Found it on bodyrecomposition.com. It says you have to train 4 days a week. Is that your routine, or is that a prescribed routine from the book?
    UD2 is both a diet and a routine. That being said, there is more than one way to skin a cat and you can setup a good carb cycle with a 3 day split too.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    Hi, I've been hovering around 232 - 238 for the past year. One time last month I got done to 228.5, but was back over 230 an hour later. I dont know, but i'm kinda frustrated with always seeing the same weight.

Should I even be looking at the #? Or should i just continue to train very hard and let the mirror be my scale?..
    First from looking at your pictures ... you have lost a good amount of fat and you have gained mass. If your weight remains the same and your waist is going down, then you are gaining Lean mass and losing fat at the same rate.

Second you say you are frustrated always seeing the same weight. Your only option if you focus on the "weight" is to eat more so the weight goes up or eat less so the weight goes down. Not the option I would choose.

Third point "should you even be looking at the #'s" really depends on your goals and on your ability to deal with slower progress. I believe its alright to check the weight every so many weeks as well as getting a body fat test done, this tells you how things are progressing. If it were me, I would look in the mirror and check the waist measurements.

Better yet... get a pair of bf calipers and take measurements once a week.
    Sarvamangalam!

LuNa

Not only that, but your joints take a beating from the machines that you are advised to use and your body overall wont like training on that low amount of calories. The recommended amount of bodyfat is also so you dont need more than 5-6 cycles to get to your desired bf. In this case UD2.0 is waaaaayyyyy to advanced.

Thanks, Where can I learn more about this ud2.0? I did Infinite Intensity 2 summers ago for 40 days and lost about 12 lbs, in which have since came back. Doing crossfit has made me beleive i'm getting quicker and lighter with more endurance.

I was looking into doing the body opus carb loading.. Would this be good for me? I'm training hard atleast 7x a week, I'm worried if I eat too little carbs I'm going too waiste alot of mass.
    -deltoids anonomous