Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do, When you can't do?

Banned

What to do, When you can't do?

Okay guys I have a problem. But I'm sure you knew that when entering
    This thread lol.

I'm om on 3x10 workout routine and from the load that I'm lifting here's
    What's happening. My first set golden, my second set I can barley do 8, and
    By my 3rd set barley 6. Is this normal? Am I not resting enough between sets? Should
    I move to a 5x5 volume to upp the volume but lower the intensity per set. This reccently
    Happened when I added 5 pounds to my compound lifts. I would take the 5 lbs off again
    But than I can do more than 10. Any imput guys? You guys always got it figured out.

Skye....

5x5 is less volume therefore heavier.

You either need a deload or have completely stagnated. Read the Texas Method sticky for tips on how to get unstuck from linear progression.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    ^^ getting on that right now. Completly stagnating is not in my vocab and I refuse lol

I mean you may have exhausted gains at that set/rep scheme or split/routine.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Yeah I've been doing that set and rep combo for about 8 months. I think its time for a switch.
    What intermeidiate program would you reccomend? I'm reading the texas method and it looks like a 5x5 program.
    What makes a program intermediate or novice?

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeD View Post
    This thread lol.

By my 3rd set barley 6. Is this normal? Am I not resting enough between sets? Should
    I move to a 5x5 volume to upp the volume but lower the intensity per set. This reccently
    Happened when I added 5 pounds to my compound lifts. I would take the 5 lbs off again
    But than I can do more than 10. Any imput guys? You guys always got it figured out.

Skye....
    5x5 isnt necessarily lower intensity. When you lower reps, you normally increase weight. So doing that wouldnt solve anything.

Try a deload first. Take about 10% off your current weights and work your way up again. This goes for all of the main lifts. If you get stuck again, then look at switching programs.

Just for kicks, what does you routine look like?

Banned
    Ill post it tommorow. Would you mind looking back than bud? I'm probobly going to get flammed for it too because I made it up lol

The difference between an intermediate and a novice is how quickly they can recover and put more weight on the bar. A novice can do it every workout, and intermediate anything between weekly to monthly, and advanced required a sort of periodization. Texas Method is not a 5x5 program Yes you use that rep scheme once a week but the rep scheme varies each day depending on the day's goal. Buy Practical Programming, it goes into all of this in great detail.
    Sarvamangalam!

By my 3rd set barley 6. Is this normal? Am I not resting enough between sets?
    10-8-6 sounds pretty normal to me so there's nothing too weird there. I don't know very many people who, after less than 3 minutes of rest, can do the same amount of reps as they did the previous set. Or at least it doesn't happen much at higher reps (ie 5+).

If you rest more then you will be able to perform more repetitions in subsequent sets. So if you're happy where you're at then you don't have to change a thing there. If you want to do more reps then take longer rests.

Should

Skye....
    I'm not understanding what you're asking here. 5x5 would be higher intensity than 3x10 (intensity here essentially meaning percentage of one-rep max). So I'm kinda confused as to what you're saying here.

You would add 5 pounds to your compound lifts and what would happen when you did that? How many reps per set, etc?

And then you'd take the 5 lbs off again... why? Is there a reason for taking the 5 lbs off? And you can do more than 10? But how many were you able to do in the first place *before* you took the 5 lbs off?

If you have been lifting hard consistently for the last 8 months and really doing the same routine then yes it's likely that you've plateaued. I personally don't buy into the plateauing stuff as much as some other people but I would think two easy ways to get around it would be to change your repetition range or change your eating habits (ie go from a cut to a bulk, or a cut to maintenance, or maintenance to bulk, etc).

How has your body weight been doing during the last 8 months? Decreasing, maintaining, or gaining/increasing?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Banned
    ^^ honestly I was confused about the difference between a 5x5 vs say a 3x10 routine. I've never tried a 5x5 which is most likely why
    I thought it would be easier. Excuse my confusion. As far as my weight I teeter totter between 185 and 190. On a serious bulk right now
    Though and have been adding a pound a week about. Sometimes a little less. Before adding the 5 lbs to my lifts this last time
    I was doing about 12 reps so I was like hey time for a weight increase. Took me about 2 weeks to go from 8 to 12 reps. But I was doing 3 x 10
    On the previous weight so when I couldn't do it on this weight I started getting worried. I did to some expiermenting last night though on my lifts. I can do three sets of 8 reps pretty well with the new weight with a 90 sec rest. I use to train 3 x 8 but was told I'm not going to see a size gain so I stopped.
    Sorry for the ignorance guys my background is more in nutrition. Been working out 4 years but only 2 real seriously. I really appreciate every response and am taking it all in. Sorry to zen about the mis understanding with the texas method. I skimmed through it to quickly cause I have my phone not a computer

This thread lol.

Skye....
    I was doing the same thing for about a year. Your exhausting your muscles too quickly. Lower the weight SLIGHTLY so that you can get your first set pretty easy, and then 10 reps on the second set. You will still only get about 6 on the third set, but keep trying to add reps to that third set until you can reach 10 also. Even though you won't be adding any weight for a while, you will be getting stronger if you keep managing to make an extra rep or more each workout.

Banned
    ^^ makes sense. Just deload on one set and make up for it on the 2nd and 3rd. This is going to take a while to breakthrough I can see lol.

LuNa
    I would suggest taking up a real routine instead of the one you made yourself. As mentioned by Zen, Texas Method could be interesting.

Banned
    ^^ any suggestions? There's so many. What makes a routine a good routine?

Id try SS then TM.

Good routine... here may be a loose definition = something that can provide lasting progression for the major movements that meets your individual recovery requirements.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    I went back to the gym and did this as follows.
    Instead of a 3x10 program I went with the 3x8 which I was able to
    Accomplish which surprised me cause it was only 6 less than last time
    But seemed easy enough. Next time I'm going for 3 x 10. But overall
    I feel good about it

LuNa
    I feel good about it
    So i guess still no real routine....

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    So i guess still no real routine....
    You can lead a horse to water....
    Sarvamangalam!

I feel good about it
    I trained like this for years and it yielded me a whopping 265 bench press after 12 years of training (which is an absolute embarrassment). Listen to these guys and use a program that has a built in progression scheme. Just picking a rep range and maxing it out every week isn't going to work for very long.
    Go pick up the 5/3/1 e-book. It will tell you exactly how to set up your training weights and exactly how much weight to add each cycle. It will yield long-term progress. If you follow the program exactly as written for one year you will be light-years ahead where you would be in a year doing what you are right now.

Banned
    My routine is more so aimed around partical use.

Mondays: flat bench 3x8 at 210, dips 2x 15, tricep pull down 2x10 at 100lbs, cardio for 20 mins and than sit ups 50 x 2

Wensdays: squat 3 x 8, dead lift 2x8, bent over rows 2x10 and lat pull downs 2x10, 20 min cardio and 2x20 weighted sit ups

Friday: 40 mins of cardio, 3x 8 of weighted shrugs and weighted calf raises, 3 x 50 situps

** ducks waiting for flames**
    Last edited by SkyeD; 11-15-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Do you want advice or validation?

It doesnt get more functional than SS.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-15-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

How do you know when to add weight to your main exercises? What is your plan for progression? Do you just do a weight that is the max you can do for 3 sets of 8? What is your plan when can't get a weight for 3 sets of 8? That's what everyone is getting at. The Texas Method and 5/3/1 both tell you exactly when to add weight and how much to add. They also both start with weights that are submaximum for the rep range you are doing. They also tell you what to do when you plateau by telling you how to reset properly.
    You must have some plan in place on how to progress and how to reset when you plateau if you want results in the long-term.

Banned
    I keep lifting until I can do 3x10 and than add 5lbs and it usually sets me back to a 3x8 or 3x6...than keep doing that for a week or two until I get back to 3x10. Has been working for the past 30 lbs. This is how we did it in high school. I've only had one plateu issue in the past 6 months and I broke it by deloading and decreasing the rep number. Next week I don't think I should have any problem with it. Is this a bad approach? I didn't know their were nultiple approaches. I feel so weak in the lifting knwledge area haha. Maybe ill go back to the nutrition side of the forum eh. But that's how I do it sean as far as adding weight

Read the SS and TM sticky, those cover the basics. Buy Starting Strength and Practical Programming as well, if you understand those 2 books you will be ahead of 95% of the lifting community. Also, most HS strength coaches dont know anything about strength training and generally prescribe something like what you are talking about.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    SS is mostly 3x5 with the exception of 1x5 on some of the other lifts. It says to add weight every week.
    I pretty much to the SS routine except I do 3x8. I add weight every session but it says to deload
    by approx 20lbs when you get stuck. Why so many lbs? That will take approx 4 weeks to get back
    up to what you were lifting previously? Is that the method behind the madness? Seems like a deload of 20lbs
    with the same reps would be pointless. I can do 235 x 5 on bench. If I deload by 20lbs I'm doing 215 but can do more than 5?..
    Am I analyzing this to much lol