The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Pressing strength happened before Smolov when I was doing a 5x5 for bench 2 x a week haha. Went from 225 for 5 x 5 to 255 for 5 x 5 in 2 months.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Hey gang.

So work has been long and stressful since I got back from the Dominican. 59-64hrs a week with only one day off for every 10 spent at work.

I have been training and smashing some serious weight the past week.

LAst night I did back/bis after work. On tuesday I trained chest/shoulders/tris and on monday I did a sexy leg session.

Monday night I was watchign the homerun derby at a friends house and when it was over i stood up to leave and my quads cramped soo badly i fell to the floor and couldnt stand up or straighten my legs for almost 2 hours. I eventually left on crutches and curled in a ball in my back seat while the gf drove me home.

I finally feel like I'm back to 100% strength after my vacation. I will keep growing through the rest of july and all of august. Come september I decided to follow Big E's lead and do a lil mini cut to get myself closer to stage weight. I dont want to have to diet off 40lbs come prep time. I realized yesterday that prep is just under 200 days away and that time is going to fly by as usual.

I am so greatful for finding a job I enjoy and am good at, especially in these tough economic times. My lease is up in exactly a month and we found a super nice house to move into next....hardwood floor, stainless steal aps, AC in every room, gas heat/water, and utilities included in rent. Between training, work, moving I will not have much time on the computer this summer but will do my best to update a few times a week.

I havent been posting much in others logs and I apologize, I get emails with your posts to my droid and read everyones log that way while at work. Keep up the hard work. Luke you best kill it tomorrow brother.

My weights around 209-210 in the AM these days. BF % prolly in the higher teens.

I'm back to benching 245 x 5 squatting 365 x 5 and doing pulldowns with 240 for 8. I feel full and that some progress has been made since Nov. I'm gonna hold off on pics for a while as the changes aren't too visible in pics these days.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Glad to see you pleased with your work and not taking it for granted...also, the new place sounds great.

Grats on things in life moving along well
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

LuNa
    Good to hear everything is going well outside of the gym as well.

Oi, update us boy!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Here is an update, 13 days into a 45 day mini cut, weighing 206lbs in the pic.

172 days till I start prep for the 2011 season, the package I bring this year should be much sexier than last time.

5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    I have read major portions of your thread and our situations are somewhat similar.

I am basically exactly where you are now, except I am 1.5 inches taller (6' 1/2"; 216.5 lbs.; 16%).

Looking at your lifts ("I'm back to benching 245 x 5 squatting 365 x 5") I'm moving similar weight and doing a similar workout as well.

What are your future plans if I may ask? My goal is to work hard for the next 12-18 months in the hopes of adding 8 lbs. more dry muscle.

I'll be following this thread from time to time and will be interested in your progress. I have a feeling we might continue to parallel each other.

Much congrats on your success. Keep up the good work.
    I think my thread title says it all. I'm working on bringing up my glaring weaknesses for the 2011 natural bodybuilding season where I plan on doing 4-6 shows between June and November.

Right now I am mid cut, 15 days down 31 to go, followed by another 20 week lean gain phase before starting prep Feb 1st. My goal is to come in at my all time best, hopefully beat last years conditioning and come in a few lbs heavier. The fruits of my labors won't show much till I'm back into single digit bodyfat.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I finally had a chance to read most of your journal and the progress you made from the start is amazing bro. I am 5'11 @200lbs with a build very close to you but your numbers are wayyy higher than mine. Keep it up man!

sup brah
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Looks like you are keeping yourself at a good place Paul. Hoping to see more frequent updates.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

LuNa
    Looking good Paul, cant wait until the bulking starts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    I think my thread title says it all. I'm working on bringing up my glaring weaknesses for the 2011 natural bodybuilding season where I plan on doing 4-6 shows between June and November.

Right now I am mid cut, 15 days down 31 to go, followed by another 20 week lean gain phase before starting prep Feb 1st. My goal is to come in at my all time best, hopefully beat last years conditioning and come in a few lbs heavier. The fruits of my labors won't show much till I'm back into single digit bodyfat.

That's a boatload of shows! I'm inspired to enter more than 1 this next time around, but 4-6, I couldn't imagine it. You will be showing a lot of dedication during that time span.

And you're right that it takes a while to see what progress you truly made until you get further in your contest prep. I'm hoping that I've increased my dieting knowledge this time around so I don't lose as much muscle-- I know that was a problem last prep.

Continue doing what you do!
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Hey gang, I've been without a computer the past few months so updating my logs rarely happens. I started full time classes on the first, and still working around45 hours a week.

Mini cut went well. I think lowest weight I saw was 195.6

Back to 199 this morning after two day refeed.

Just a hair under twenty weeks till prep.

Will be running short three week smolov jr cycles to bring up my weak areas. Doing it 2x for chest, once for deads, and one more for wheels.

Will def try to update more freq guys
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wouldn't doubt for a minute that you were pressing on toward your goals, especially the comp.

Hey gang, I've been without a computer the past few months so updating my logs rarely happens. I started full time classes on the first, and still working around45 hours a week.

Mini cut went well. I think lowest weight I saw was 195.6

Back to 199 this morning after two day refeed.

Just a hair under twenty weeks till prep.

Will be running short three week smolov jr cycles to bring up my weak areas. Doing it 2x for chest, once for deads, and one more for wheels.

Will def try to update more freq guys

Well updated pics from a few days ago.....

Weight in these about 197, no pump first thing in the morning.

Nothing fancy, lighting is terrible lol.

I was 196.2 today so a solid 16lbs was lost =)

I will be beasting my last shoulder/chest workout before smolov begins on monday.

I'm hungry as hell, and for once its not for food =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

You look amazing, f00.

Legs appear sharp. Back probably as well.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

VM's look sick

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Legs are looking sick. Still gotta bring the chest up so it's not so overpowered by your arms!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Hey Con, working on that shhh now.

Smolov jr for bench, doing a few smolov jr mini cyckes each three weeks with a week inbetween.

Bench
    Deads
    Bench
    Smolov base leg cycle

Hit the third bench sessioon of first bench cycle today, back for more tomoorow
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Well, The first 6 workouts of Smolov JR have been a great success!
    The next 6 will not be easy by any means. Benching heavy 4 x a week is no joke. Training legs and back inbetween on top of 45 hour work weeks and a full school load >..<

I am down to 194.4lbs Despite raising my macros to 65/450/225 for two weeks I lost 2 lbs. I bumped carbs up to 500g and fat to 70g as of this past sunday and hoping for some upwards movement on the scale.

So it looks like I have a solid 14 weeks left to get my grow on and bring up my chest/traps/lower back a bit more. Then the calorie taper begins for the 2011 season.

I can guarantee it will be one hell of a season. I have about 5-6 shows lined up, I'll be working with the same prep coach I used for the last 8 weeks of my first prep.

I have added about 6-7lbs of solid muscle since I last stepped on stage, that paired with better conditioning and posing should yield a completely new look for me in 2011.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I have added about 6-7lbs of solid muscle since I last stepped on stage, that paired with better conditioning and posing should yield a completely new look for me in 2011.
    That 6-7 pounds, and still going, should definitely make you look like a whole new man on stage next year. Your conditioning was very good for your first time out, so witht he improved knowledge you should look even better!

Can't wait for your contest prep to begin.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Its refreshing to see someone who comprehends how much 6-7lbs of muscle actually is. That's really a great gain for the last year. I have my last 4 years pinned at about 4-5lbs per 8 month offseason.

Hey guys!

Yea I was talking to Berto the other day. He told me to gain no more than 2-3lbs over the next 12 weeks.

Males, under optimal conditions can maybe deposit 8-10 grams of skeletal muscle a day. Thats 650-700 grams or about 1.5 lbs, which in the grand scheme of things is a lot of meat. Think about a 24oz steak, no slap that on your chest for example (^_^)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011