Thread: GSP trying to wrestle

GSP trying to wrestle

Looks like George St Pierre is going to try to wrestle in the olympics...I'd watch that for sure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma,202598
    Last edited by Off Road; 11-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It's definitely a different sport, but with his discipline, I can see him doing well. Even making it close to qualifying for the olympics would be a tremendous feat.

If he does go ahead and pursue this, would it put UFC on hold for him or what?
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

they asked him to compete before too

crazy considering he hasn't actually been a wrestler before

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    they asked him to compete before too

crazy considering he hasn't actually been a wrestler before
    Yea but he trains with Olympic wrestlers for his UFC fights so I'm sure he knows he's at least close to good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea but he trains with Olympic wrestlers for his UFC fights so I'm sure he knows he's at least close to good enough.
    yes, i wouldn't think he'd have much of a problem making the team. he is a phenomenal athlete and a very good wrestler. ncsuluke, i have also heard that he has been asked to compete with the team before.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    i have also heard that he has been asked to compete with the team before.
    Yea thats right I forgot about that I think he turned it down because he was offered a title shot can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea thats right I forgot about that I think he turned it down because he was offered a title shot can't remember.
    You are 100% correct on this. After he out-wrestled Koscheck he started training for the 2008 olympics and planned to wrestle for the Canadian team. Then Matt Sera got hurt and he replaced him to fight Hughes for the interim title in a short camp. After he beat Hughes he had to fight Serra again and that didn't give him the time to get ready for the Olympics as well. He has plenty of time for 2012. GSP wins gold and the world ends in the same year.

I was hoping he was finally going to go through with it and the rumors have been out there for sometime. The guy is ridiculously athletic and he has the perfect type of training and athleticism to be a world contender in wrestling. I'll definitely be cheering for the guy if he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    You are 100% correct on this. After he out-wrestled Koscheck he started training for the 2008 olympics and planned to wrestle for the Canadian team. Then Matt Sera got hurt and he replaced him to fight Hughes for the interim title in a short camp. After he beat Hughes he had to fight Serra again and that didn't give him the time to get ready for the Olympics as well. He has plenty of time for 2012. GSP wins gold and the world ends in the same year.
    Yea now I remember. I always wanted him to go to the Olympics cause it will definitely add to credibility of the sport.

more importantly, GSP talking about moving up a weight class...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/11/1...talking-moving

That would be awsome to see a GSP vs Silva fight.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That would be awsome to see a GSP vs Silva fight.
    It would be an awesome beat down.

I can't imagine his contract would allow this. No different than Dana blocking Fedor from Sambo during their negotiations. Maybe Dana would see it as a way to show off one of his guys on a world stage. Who knows.

I honestly don't want to see him fight Silva. Silva is just too damn big for GSP. I don't think it would be the even fight some think it would be.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I can't imagine his contract would allow this. No different than Dana blocking Fedor from Sambo during their negotiations. Maybe Dana would see it as a way to show off one of his guys on a world stage. Who knows.

I honestly don't want to see him fight Silva. Silva is just too damn big for GSP. I don't think it would be the even fight some think it would be.
    Actually in recent negotiations they said they would be ok with his Sambo fighting. I know they would let GSP go to the olympics it would give them a lot of free exposure. World wide exposure which is what they UFC is trying to do expand world wide.