Thread: Consumer Product Questions!

Consumer Product Questions!

Hello everyone. Once again I am in the situation many of us find ourselves in every so often. We train far from a powerlifting gym and our "training partners" eventually cannot stand a fix schedule or the training regime. I just went through my 3rd set of trainign mates. It's sad because I'm not even strong enough to scare people. Anyway, I saw that this company sells something called a EO Board vest for board presses. Anyone has it? Uses it? Recommends it? It's something like a $150 investment so I want to know what's up with it.

Anyone use the padded deadlift socks they sell? Good? Bad? Not worth it?

Is that the one with the bungee cords and what not? 150 dollars? You can make one yourself with a bungee cord, or a band...no need to spend 150 bucks!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Yeah, I'd save your money on these. You can very easily make a 2 or 3 board or whatever you want for $5-$10 and put it in your shirt. If money isn't a big issue and you prefer the safty, then the piece will help. But then again if your concerned w/ safety you probably shouldn't be doin board presses w/o spotter!

Plus you usually can always find someone around a gym to hold some boards!

As far as padded DL sock....just get some $5 soccer socks ....they save these shins pretty good for next to nothing.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Hm, don't know about a bungee cord, but it's a vest and you place the desired boards in it.
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"For me the most important thing is to beat myself, to lift the barbell that up to this point I have not yet lifted." - Alexeyev

I know the one you are talking about...it's usually for sale at meets i go to ...hold like up to 6 boards.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Board presses without a spotter is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea...

You can do a lot w. a proper power rack and some ingenuity, but board presses are just one of those exercises I wouldn't mess with.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

My gym doesn't have a power cage, but it does have a half rack with some safeties for squatting. Maybe I should just move a bench in and use the safeties as I would the boards.
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"For me the most important thing is to beat myself, to lift the barbell that up to this point I have not yet lifted." - Alexeyev

Quote Originally Posted by C-Sobrino View Post
    My gym doesn't have a power cage, but it does have a half rack with some safeties for squatting. Maybe I should just move a bench in and use the safeties as I would the boards.
    I'd give this a shot.
    I've seen a bar and a face go one-on-one....it's ugly LOL.
    The guy's dentist pobably had got a nice vacation out of it though.

Wannabebig Member
    I've done boards alone a million times. No less safe than with partners. Do them in a power rack. Set the pins just below whatever board you're using, so that if you lose your arch the bar is on the pins. Double a mini band, put it on like a pair of pants, pull it up to your belly and set the board under the band. It'll hold the board in place nicely. If you lack the proper power belly, double the band and tie a knot in it at one end. This will make the opening smaller, and allow for a tighter fit with the board under the band. The only part that sucks is lifting off your self, but if you gotta, you gotta.

I have found that an old knee wrap tied together holds the boards on your body much better then a mini band.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I just put some duct tape on the board and stick it to my chest...
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

i just made some babys and grew them up to be 5-6 years old and then have them hold the boards for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I have found that an old knee wrap tied together holds the boards on your body much better then a mini band.
    That works as well

Sensei, I often just have 1 partner when benching, so I'd rather have the handoff over that person holding the board. I set the pins so I don't kill myself and use something to attach it to my body.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

If I dont have a spotter, I wear a v-neck t-shirt and fit the bds. underneath. I've also done the knee wrap thing too.

Doing em' in the power rack is the way to go w/o a spotter so you can set the pins to catch the weight.

I never go 100% of 1RM w/o a spotter though...