Thread: bench grip issues...

bench grip issues...

been playing with the bench grip. My old bench grip worked well without many problem points but it's a longer stroke. Been trying a wider grip which has a shorter stroke but felt funky afterwards to make me question wether or not it could potentionally be MORE productive in the long run.

I benched with my old grip yesterday and feel it exactly where I felt it with the NEW grip. I played with the bar today and felt the old grip pull on the insertion points in my shoulders more than the NEW grip so it's a toss-up. LOVE the stroke distance and how much more stable it feels but am worried that being TOO wide it could lead to injury.

So what would you guys suggest?
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I think most people use a narrower than max width grip when benching raw. In a meet, use your strongest grip width. In training, you can vary the grip based on what you want to emphasize in training.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Fridge,

Bottom line, I base my grip on comfort & feel... When I benched in my 20's I used a wide grip raw. I took about 10-years off and when I came back in my late 30's and early 40's it didnt feel stable. The wider grip hurt at my shoulder insertions like you stated.

I now use pinky finger's on the rings grip raw & I'm pain free in my shoulders... I get a lot more speed off the chest w/ this grip although it is a little longer stroke. I guess its a trade-off but I'm back to doing what I was w/ the wider grip w/o any pain so its worth it!
    However, when I'm in a shirt I go as wide as I can legally...

all preference. If your shirted, wide is probably gonna be best to learn & get comfortable.

RAW...whatever feels best. I am two fingers in on the ring (ie middle/ring finger on ring). I tried gowing wider(pointer on ring) and my bench suffered a bit. I stuck w/ it for over a yr and never really progressed. I went back to my old grip and am up 25# in about 12 weeks.

Figure out where your weakness on bench is too and see if different grip helps or hurts the weak point and go from there.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Wide is fine. Remember most of this stuff is just guidelines. All our bodies are different. If you are going wider just be sure to keep your elbows in atleast at 45 degrees. If you go beyond that your shoulders are in a bad position and injury potential increases.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I go all the way wide. I guess I can get away with it because I have strong shoulders and back. I just can't get enough push from my back when I have a narrow grip.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thanks so much guys. I played with the bench and contest setup today...along with deciding to lower my working weights to accomodate the new grip adapting to the work and it felt SO much better. When I made sure everything was perfect..my stroke was shortened ALOT and felt VERY comfortable in a tight setup. My back is my strongest muscle group so the wider grip also made more technical sense. I AM however going to start push pressing to develop my shoulders. Played with some light weight on it today and it was very comfortable.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!