The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lower Back Exercizes!

I have been doing SS for two months and love it! Every part of my body is stronger and I have lost fat also. There are times where I am lucky enough to get to play a lot of golf in a short period of time(Wed-Sun this weekend I played over 100 holes)! The prob is that all that rotational stress makes my back hurt(from in between shoulder blades down to belt line) I don't believe it is a stretching issue as I can play 18 and feel nothing! I think it is fatigue! I know SS works the lower back pretty well upon is vertical axis but I am wondering if there are some exdcersizes I could add to the end of a workout or on a non-lift day that would help with rotational part? I know not to screw with the program but if there was something I could do in light weight or body weight that may be helpful without interupting my SS training! Playing golf already gets in the way some but I ain't givin up golf! I have played over 100 rounds already this year and golf was a large reason I started SS! Thanks guys!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    I have been doing SS for two months and love it! Every part of my body is stronger and I have lost fat also. There are times where I am lucky enough to get to play a lot of golf in a short period of time(Wed-Sun this weekend I played over 100 holes)! The prob is that all that rotational stress makes my back hurt(from in between shoulder blades down to belt line) I don't believe it is a stretching issue as I can play 18 and feel nothing! I think it is fatigue! I know SS works the lower back pretty well upon is vertical axis but I am wondering if there are some exdcersizes I could add to the end of a workout or on a non-lift day that would help with rotational part? I know not to screw with the program but if there was something I could do in light weight or body weight that may be helpful without interupting my SS training! Playing golf already gets in the way some but I ain't givin up golf! I have played over 100 rounds already this year and golf was a large reason I started SS! Thanks guys!
    The thing is if it is fatigue, then nothing much will help. I suggest limiting the golf to maybe 2 or 3 18 hole rounds over a weekend. Playing over 100 holes per weekend is a bit of overkill...which is what your back is trying to tell you. You don't have to give it up...just cut back a bit until your back is happier.

How long have you played golf by the way?

Banned
    I would personally go look up some "golf fitness exercises" or something similar in the old google machine and see what turns up. SS has obviously helped you develop a good base of functional strength so now its time to start tweaking things a bit to make your fitness program more specific. Golf is fairly notorious for doing weird things to the body with respect to twisting, muscular imbalances and the like so your best bet is to look at what other golfers have done to help. Keep up with the strength training but spend time (possibly on rest days) doing some specific stretching and trunk/lower back work. Hope that helps.

Once fatigue sets in, forget it. I've played bball for a couple hours and then gone right into golfing - mistake. My game sucked worse than normal.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I would personally go look up some "golf fitness exercises" or something similar in the old google machine and see what turns up. SS has obviously helped you develop a good base of functional strength so now its time to start tweaking things a bit to make your fitness program more specific. Golf is fairly notorious for doing weird things to the body with respect to twisting, muscular imbalances and the like so your best bet is to look at what other golfers have done to help. Keep up with the strength training but spend time (possibly on rest days) doing some specific stretching and trunk/lower back work. Hope that helps.

I am trying to find some specific excersizes related to rotation! Most golf specific sites are all based on BW only routines! I already do a lot of stretching but I think I need to strengthen my back! I know the best solution would be to play more golf but life gets in the way of playing a lot. And I can always get to the gym!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Banned
    I used to play golf, I was on the golf team in high school ( long long before powerlifting made it's way into my life ). Now I just go to the driving range to hit the crap out of my driver and see how far it goes, I have no desire to play a full round of golf ( putting is much too tedious and doesn't require enough he-man brute strength, LOL ).

Video

i know hypers and planks are good for your lower back.. There is an article about planks on here
    Last edited by JRider23; 11-17-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelled planks as plans

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    i know hypers and planks are good for your lower back..
    So are deads and squats. I hit my driver *way* farther now that I'm squatting and pulling than before. My brother's a professional golfer and I keep telling him that, but for some reason he seems to be scared by the concept. Kind of funny, I'm the one with scoliosis and "weak deformed spine" ( but now I'm the strong one, LOL ).
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    So are deads and squats. I hit my driver *way* farther now that I'm squatting and pulling than before. My brother's a professional golfer and I keep telling him that, but for some reason he seems to be scared by the concept. Kind of funny, I'm the one with scoliosis and "weak deformed spine" ( but now I'm the strong one, LOL ).
    haha that's awesome man

i was thinking more along the lines of exercises people don't do as much, but yeah dude nothing hits it harder than a heavy ass set of deads

I think the advice you've been getting is good. Lower back fatigue is not good - make sure your form is rock solid on everything and you are avoiding unnecessary lower back flexion.

There was an article at this site recently about hips/glutes - check it out. It would be worth your time.

I don't think there's a magic bullet for you at all - proper hip strength and function will go a long, long way towards your goals. That said, 1-legged DLs, Turkish Get-Ups and Russian Hockey Deadlifts (in the second link below) would be exercises to consider.

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/10/...ere-it-is.html
    http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/...deadlifts.html
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-18-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I squat and deadlift per the SS routine! Rotation has a different feel! I played 18 holes today and am fixin to go lift and feel fine!

Sensei
    Thats what I was looking for! Have to get me some kettleballs and do those! Doing SS,what days do you think would be the most beneficial day to do that kind of movement? I don't know if doing them the day before deads is a good idea or not?