Thread: OH pressing for bench

OH pressing for bench

i saw a thread regarding push press & military press and wanted to ask: which of the two would be more ideal to help my bench? I am going for strength gains in hopes to increase my shirted and raw bench. Does DB's have its place as well?

I think any pressing move will ultimately improve your bench. They strengthen your delts and Triceps; dumbells included. The thing I've missed the most in my training since my shoulder surgery is the limited pressing moves I can still do without a lot of pain. If you can do either without pain, mix them in and out and do them both. I can't go straight overhead anymore. I have to do steep incline moves for shoulders now.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

My last trip to Westside Louie had me do something new. It was a very steep incline close grip bench. It definitely will help with lockout which will translate well to shirted pressing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Does it matter? your end result out of either lift will be stonger shoulders. So any lift that builds shoulder strength will help.

Overhead work has helped both my raw and shirted BP. For me the tricky part is getting the OHP stronger while not beating up my shoulders so much it causes problems with benching. I think you can do both by simply emphasizing one or the other during a particular phase of training.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    My last trip to Westside Louie had me do something new. It was a very steep incline close grip bench. It definitely will help with lockout which will translate well to shirted pressing.
    Co-signed.Close-grips on a steep incline are a great movement for your bench.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

IMO it may help ultimately(long term) but from my experience getting your bench up equals finding a good bench routine. In other words I don't think you can go on some massive overhead press routine gain 15lbs on the lift and suddenly your bench shoots up. Like I said long term I'm sure it could make a difference but nothing worth getting exciting over short term.

I think nothing has single handly help me improve my bench from a beginner/intermediate stand point than getting my Press up and stronger dips. From a technical stand point if you bench at 45 Degree elbow angle the start of your bench and Press are nearly the same if you come down far enough with your press. Try it out.

-Ajack

jtteg,
    I have done OH press on ME effort day in place of bench just to mix it up. I've also done them as an assistance exercise and I feel they do help my raw bench... I've done em' w/ bands on speed day as well.

Just gotta make sure you dont over train the shoulders w/ the additional pressing movement + the bench-press.

I religously did over heads for 12 weeks. While i did improve my OHP strength, I didnt feel any carry over to my reg bench. Might have something to do with longer recovery times needed. But Vinny swears by them. give it a shot. I would do strict standing militarys though. Push presses put alot of stress on the joints you may not want.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I would even skip the standing version if you are using it as an accessory for your bench. You can do more weight in a seated position.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

OHP's can be good and bad for a big bench. It all depends on your training style. I bench heavy twice a week one day shirted and one day raw. My front delts get plenty of work so OHP's aren't necessary. However I will throw them in for a 5 week cycle about every 3 months or so. I do them on my lock out day with a close grip stand to the front for 5 sets of 5. Basicallt throw them in when I feel I need more power to control the weight at the bottom.

The time when I really pushed my overhead work was when I only benched once a week. The overhead was done on my assistance day. Now that I have ME and DE bench bench days, I do not work the overhead nearly as hard. However, I know my shoulder strength is a big key to my bench press.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    I know people say that seated presses behind the neck are useless and even dangerous, but ever since I saw the article about Ted Arcidi doing seated presses behind the neck with 315 lbs. for 12 reps and how he said it helped his bench, I started doing them.
    And I have to say for me personally, as my seated behind the neck presses go, so goes my bench.
    I never go really heavy on them though, but I did work up to 225 for 20 reps this last training cycle.

Oh, and I never take the bar down much further than the middle of the back of my head.

Wannabebig Member
    Personally the press overhead doesn't help my bench even one ounce, I don't know why. I do them every 2 or 3 weeks to keep shoulders healthy but that's it. I'm also too scared to do them behind the head.

I feel they haven't helped me much ethier if any. My OH press is actually close to my BP now.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH