The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Building and Maintaining Strength Training Partners

One of the things that I seem to come across a TON when helping people get set up a lot, is that they train alone. Either they can't find anyone to train with, or they seem to run through training partners because people fade out.

What I wanted to do was get a thread started where those of you who have great groups that you train with could put down some information for others who are looking to build a team so they could have a little guidence

Obviously I didn't really have to try hard for my heavy stuff as I have lifted at Westside for the last 5 years, however I do have and run a gym where I live at since I live about 2hrs away from Columbus.

I have a really consistent group of guys who I do my DE work with on Saturdays as well as some of my accessory stuff during the week with.

Couple of the things that I noticed helped

- Be willing to schedule things so it's convienent for everyone
    - Have something to bring to them, so it's fun for everyone, whether it's equipment, training experience and information or whatever
    - Don't get them into equipment super soon. It's really frustrating for newbies to get straight into equipment. Let them train raw and just get a good feel for the training
    - Don't be afraid to go out of your way to introduce yourself to the stronger guys at the gym and talk to them. You almost have to look at it as recruiting.
    - And finally, don't be offended if guys decide it's not for them. Just keep trying to draw other guys into your group and you'll find the right mix

What has worked for those of you who have good groups though?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good idea, Travis. I typically train alone and have always wanted a reliable partner. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

i agree that we slip new guys into gear too soon but the problem we still face comes from committment and reliability. scheduling hasn't been a problem if anything we try too much to accomodate them and we are burning ourselves a bit. i'm too interested in learning more...we recruit as well...
    TB
    i'm a man....without a number
    "never satisfied!"
    powered by anabolikclothing, apt, and usplabs

log:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129997

I touch on this in "Power" magazine. I think the most important part is to get as much knowledge as possible. If you can help people set PRs then they'll get excited about training with you. Also, you have to realize that sometimes another person's training is more importan than yours. We usually let whoever is closest to a meet pick the ME movement based on what they need to get ready. Most of our lifters have played team sports at some level, so we try to have a team environment.

I don't agree with Travis on gear though. My second cousin's, dentist's, babysitter's dog got 300 lbs from a SDP the first time. There's no reason a beginner shouldn't start in leviathan and SDP, haha. OK, seriously most of our new lifters do their first meet raw. We add gear as their technique and strength allows.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I met everyone I train with through the gym I'm at, or their friends of mine who are serious about meeting some goals. They're all pretty week, but I taught them all the form/technique and got them on a good program so a few of them have gotten pretty strong. Its nice having a good group of guys who are in there every day, will help spot/load, cheer you on, etc.

I did meet one other guy who I've gotten seriously into powerlifting, and his strength is approaching mine (except for bench, where he's exceeding me!) which is nice.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I'm open to suggestions to this. We have put together/are finishing up putting together what I consider to be a small, but decent place in Central Alabama. I don't care how strong someone is, we'll make sure they get stronger. I also could care less if you compete RAW, single ply, or multiply. What I want is reliability... people are excited about training and who show up to train with the goal of making themselves stronger. Finding people who will actually train with us has proven to be somewhat difficult so far. I will admit, I haven't gone out of my way advertising just yet because I'm still trying to finalize some things with the gym, but I'll take anyhelp I can get recruiting people.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    I met everyone I train with through the gym I'm at, or their friends of mine who are serious about meeting some goals. They're all pretty week, but I taught them all the form/technique and got them on a good program so a few of them have gotten pretty strong. Its nice having a good group of guys who are in there every day, will help spot/load, cheer you on, etc.

I did meet one other guy who I've gotten seriously into powerlifting, and his strength is approaching mine (except for bench, where he's exceeding me!) which is nice.
    Hazewr,

Where do you train in Chicago?

nothing pisses me off more than when somebody leaves us short handed! we are always looking for guys or gals to train with. central minnesota, anybody interested? we have everything you need for the big 3

Wannabebig Member
    Atleast you guys have some powerlifters to train with.I am surrounded by BB here in FL.It s alright they do their thing i do mine sometimes we meet in the middle to help each other.

Well here are two tips:

1) Don't count on non-gym or non-powerlifting friends.

2) Don't expect much from people who say their goals are being stronger, running a half marathon, and looking from the guy in twilight 2.
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"For me the most important thing is to beat myself, to lift the barbell that up to this point I have not yet lifted." - Alexeyev

Quote Originally Posted by C-Sobrino View Post
    Well here are two tips:

1) Don't count on non-gym or non-powerlifting friends.

2) Don't expect much from people who say their goals are being stronger, running a half marathon, and looking from the guy in twilight 2.
    1) i have completely learned that lesson now...i'm done with it.
    2) we usually don't have guys that stick around that long with those goals...LOL!

TB
    i'm a man....without a number
    "never satisfied!"