Thread: The last set of Hardgainer Rules

The last set of Hardgainer Rules

Here are the final bunch of rules to finish out the week. I think we can all at least agre that if a new lifter followed these rules, they'd be on the right path to setting a solid base. We may not agree 100% with all the rules, but there is obviously room for interpretation as you get more advanced. Pay special attention to the last rule, it's my favorite and probably the most important for new lifters.

Forget about gadgets, gimmicks and gizmos.
    There are no special machines, techniques or training routines that are "magic." Adding weight to the bar little by little consistently over time is the real magic.

Never work out when sore.
    If your muscles are sore, you're not recovered in my opinion. In fact, just because you didn't get sore, or the soreness has subsided, doesn't mean you're ready to hit the weights again. Experiment with recovery time. Depending on what you did in your last workout, it could be significant period before you're truly recovered even after soreness has subsided.

Focus on the basic compound exercises.
    Squats, deadlifts, Trap Bar deadlifts, presses, rows, chins and bench presses are all examples of exercises with a definite bang for the buck for building muscle and strength. Leg extensions, triceps pushdowns, concentration curls, shoulder laterals and pec flyes are not.

Use a range-of-motion in your exercises suitable to your body structure and flexibility without exaggeration.
    Don't perform exercises with exaggeration in the stretch positions. This will likely lead to injury and you don't get any benefit from the extra stretch.

Pack it in when necessary.
    If you begin a workout and everything seems to be going wrong, don't be afraid to pack it in and come back another day. Maybe your lower back starts to stiffen up, your mind is wandering because of other distractions in your life, and you've a cold to boot. Remember, it's just one workout, and missing one workout or simply returning to work out the following day will not kill your progress. In fact, you may save yourself from injury or falling into a bigger rut.

Put training in the proper perspective in life.
    Your life should not revolve around your training. There are plenty of other elements in life that should take precedence over training. Don't get your priorities mixed up!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Pack it in when necessary

One of the biggest lessons I learned last April when I hurt my back pretty bad. My body was telling me to leave but I did my heavy squats and leg press anyway and was out for a solid 4 months. I will *never* do that again after that.

Garage Lifter
    I think that there's sore and then there's SORE. One is fine and the other probably needs a little extra rest. For me working out is the best way to get rid of the soreness.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Put training in the proper perspective in life.
    Your life should not revolve around your training. There are plenty of other elements in life that should take precedence over training. Don't get your priorities mixed up!
    I like this. Especially for new lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    I like this. Especially for new lifters.
    I agree. New lifters tend to get really obsessed with lifting when they first start out. They try to get everything perfect, become OCD about everything, and concentrate on all those little details that don't add up to much. Wasted energy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I agree. New lifters tend to get really obsessed with lifting when they first start out. They try to get everything perfect, become OCD about everything, and concentrate on all those little details that don't add up to much. Wasted energy.
    Its a tough lesson to learn though....

I went through the same thing. Once I realized how long progress really takes, I stopped worrying about minute details. The first thing a new lifter should realize is that its a long, slow process to transform your body. Everyone wants quick and easy now adays.

My sister was a perfect example...she was so excited about her workout routine with her trainer. I asked what he had her doing....10 sets of 20 reps on everything and mostly machines and bull**** ball exercises. Two weeks later she stopped going and she let me tell her "I told you so".

Wannabebig Member MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    Use a range-of-motion in your exercises suitable to your body structure and flexibility without exaggeration. Don't perform exercises with exaggeration in the stretch positions. This will likely lead to injury and you don't get any benefit from the extra stretch.
    I like this one. On lots of other forums, you'll here guys preaching about ass-to-grass squats as being the ONLY way to effectively workout legs...or something like that. While I think ass-to-grass squats are a great lower body exercise when done right, lots of people simply haven't developed the flexibility or control to do them correctly - they end up round their lower back, leaning way forward, or some other whack technique flaw. So it's important for them to realize if 1) they're doing a technique incorrectly, and 2) that there's no such thing as an all-or-nothing training/exercise style, and 3) that there's usually many other exercises, which are better suited to your body, that can get you more effective results without potentially messing up your body.

Pack it in when necessary.
    If you begin a workout and everything seems to be going wrong, don't be afraid to pack it in and come back another day. Maybe your lower back starts to stiffen up, your mind is wandering because of other distractions in your life, and you've a cold to boot. Remember, it's just one workout, and missing one workout or simply returning to work out the following day will not kill your progress. In fact, you may save yourself from injury or falling into a bigger rut.
    This is the one that most beginner lifters is most likely to be ignored, especially by younger noobs (speaking from my own experience). When you're fresh into lifting and just getting passionate about, it feels like you're letting yourself down and losing progress if you don't keep going - even if you logically know that you should stop - I think this is because, having only trained for several weeks or months, you perceive each workout or set having much greater importance to your results than it actually does. Whereas, more experienced lifters have can better understand of stopping a workout out or skipping an exercise when better judgment tells you to do so.
    If you liked my post, you'll probably like my weight lifting information site too. Check it out, Slime!

"Never work out when sore."

Garbage.