Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Mission to Put on Serious Mass

Wannabebig Member

My Mission to Put on Serious Mass

Hello,

Im making a journal of my new routine that I have just started this week. I recently started lifting about 4 months ago on and off, but now I want to start taking this more seriously and hopefully see some serious gains.

A little information about me. Im 6'1 and 191 pounds, since Ive started lifting Ive gained about 15 pounds.

My goals are to gain mass and become stronger. Initially I thought I would like to bulk to about 210 - 215, but we will see how it goes.

My diet isnt 100% where it should be, but Im trying. Damn its alot of food to consume in a day. Right now Im probably getting about 130 grams of protein a day, not enough I know.

Well here is the exercise I will be using, its basically Starting Strength with a tiny add on. I know people say I shouldnt add anything on, but it has been suggested in an article I was reading. The program is as follows:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5x3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
    2x5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

Daily accessory work:
    -45 degree Decline bench weighted situps, 3x5 (hold body parallel to ground for static 5 seconds each repetition on the way down, then go down slowly and come back up)
    -Hyperextensions - 3x8 (hold weight across chest or small barbell across back, and don't swing past parallel) - reverse hypers are preferable, but I don't know too many gyms with a reverse hyper.

This program is done 3 days a week just like the real SS.

Thanks for your input.

Wannabebig Member
    25 Nov 2009 (Week One)

Workout A

Squat 3x5 115pnds
    Dumbbell Flat Bench 3x5 40pnds
    Deadlift 1x5 192pnds
    Assisted Dips 2x8 55pnds

Hyperextension 3x8 25pnds
    Situp Machine 3x5 35,40,45pnds

It was my first day back at the gym in over a week. The exercise felt pretty good.

Squats- Felt good, when I got home I watched some Rip videos and tried to work on my form.
    Bench- I did some dumbbells and they went good also. Hopefully next workout I can up the weight a bit.
    Dead- The platform was being used forever, so I used the deadlift machine. Hence the 12 added pounds for the machine.
    Dips- I cant do as many dips as Id want my myself yet so Im using the assisted machine.

Im doing my 2 warm up sets per exercise also, so I feel like Im getting a good workout in.

Well off to the gym Friday(today) again.
    Last edited by -RL-; 11-28-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Post up some starting pics and/or measurements of yourself in order to gauge your progress. Good to hear that your dedicated and i'll be tracking your progress
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Wannabebig Member
    Ill try and get some pics and measurements this weekend. As Im sitting right now, Im skinnyfat

Wannabebig Member
    27 Nov 2009 (Week One)

Workout B

Squat 3x5 115pnds
    Standing Military Press 3x5 75pnds
    Row Machine 3x5 140pnds
    Assisted Chinups 2x8 70pnds

Hyperextensions 3x8 25pnds
    Situp Machine 3x5 40,45,50pnds

Squats- I kept them the same since my legs were still pretty sore.
    Press- I think I did it exactly how Rip shows in the vids. Tried to keep it very strict, no legs
    Row- I did it on a machine that replicates a pendlay row.
    Chins- Done on assisted machine, hopefully moving up a bit next week.

I will try and do real pendlay rows every once in awhile, however there is only one power rack. The deadlift platform and cage share the same area and bar so its not ideal. I dont like to hog it for my whole workout as other people also need to use it.

Great work out I think, Im really feeling the shoulders the day after and my legs feel a lot better.

Only one question about the hypers if anyone can help. They arnt extremely hard to do, 25pnds added seams good for now, but the day after boy does my lower back hurt. Normal? Should my back get used to it?

Thanks
    Last edited by -RL-; 11-28-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    29 November 2009 (Week One)

Workout A

Squat 3x5 125pnds
    Dumbbell Flat Bench 3x5 45pnds
    Deadlift 1x5 192pnds
    Assisted Dips 2x8 50pnds

Situp Machine 3x5 45,50,55pnds

Squat- Went up 10 pounds. Squats feel good, they should rise quickly.
    Bench- After warmup sets I went into the 45's. First set went good, 2nd set I failed first attempt getting it up. Reset and tried again, 5 went smoothly. 3rd set was good also, cranked out a couple extra in the end. Getting them up is the hardest part I find.
    Dead- Done on machine again, Im not loving them.
    Dips- Nothing significant.

Im trying to make a point to get in the extra calories. Im pounding down a shake every night before bed. This morning I was 193pnds dry. Just weighed myself again here and Im at about 198.5. Good to see a lil progress happening here.

Im going to be ordering some supps soon. Im sure when I start taking creatine I will see some gains in weight and strength.

Good luck with your goals man, off to a great start in here.

Wannabebig Member
    I need some direction here...

Today I was suppose to workout B of starting strength. Notice how i said 'suppose to'. Well I ran into a situation where I couldnt get to the gym. So I missed today, not a good start. Should I skip the day/ or bump everything a day forward and only take off one day inbetween every workout for 2 full weeks.
    Thanks

Probably should bump the day you missed and don't skip out, maybe even train two days in a row for a change...just go with the flow.
    Main thing though is get in there and don't let the grass grow under your feet so to speak.
    Last edited by Coke; 12-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Yah Im going to go tonight after a quick nap, I was thinking of taking some pre workout supps but I dont want to be up all night.

Thanks Coke

I noticed you say you did your deads on a machine and your not liking them? Is it because of the machine or is it the lift itself? You need to start doing deads with a free bar. Waaaaay better.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    I noticed you say you did your deads on a machine and your not liking them? Is it because of the machine or is it the lift itself? You need to start doing deads with a free bar. Waaaaay better.
    I wasn't liking the deads because of the fact I dont have a great spot to do them in the gym. The other reason was because I hurt my lower back a few months ago doing them (with improper form I guess) and now Im worried about doing it again. I know I need to start doing them though. So Im going to make a point to. Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    3 Dec 2009 (Week Two)

Workout B

Squat 3x5 135pnds
    Standing Military Press 3x5 70pndsx2 80pndsx1
    Row Machine 3x5 140pnds

Situp Machine 3x5 50,55,60pnds

Squats- Went up another 10 pounds
    Standing Press- I think this is another exercise that I will be able to progress in quickly.
    Row Machine- Weight stayed the same
    Chins- They also stayed the same, try to move up next "B" day

Wannabebig Member
    6 December 2009 (Week Two)

Workout A

Squat 3x5 145pnds
    Dumbbell Flat Bench 3x5 45pndsx2 50pndsx1
    Deadlift 1x5 212pnds
    Assisted Dips 2x8 50pnds

Situp Machine 3x5 55,60,65pnds

Squats- I feel the form is still good as Im progressing slowly up on these
    Bench- Progress on these are great, hopefully more to come.
    Dead- Once again I did it on the machine, I know I have to do real deads so I shall try even if I have to drop weight a tonne.
    Dips- No progress this week.

I really had a screwy week for working out. My days I went were the days I would ideally like to go. Between work and the overtime I was too bagged to get a proper workout in some days so I knew it was just beneficial not to go. With this week behind me I hope I can try and go the days I want more frequently.

Its great to see some minor progress. I weighed in the scale at 198pnds before I went to bed last night last night. It wasnt my morning weight but I am moving up slowly. I need to start eating a little more consistent and better.

I said earlier I was going to try and post pictures so I could keep them in terms of progress. I still hope to, I was just having problems getting a camera to do so as mine is useless.

Back to the gym tomorrow to finish the last day of the week and pick up my supplements that came to the post office.

You've gained 7lbs since the 27th of November??? Awesome, but don't gain that weight too quickly. Good lifts even though you said you had a crappy week. Also, what supplements did you order?
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    You've gained 7lbs since the 27th of November??? Awesome, but don't gain that weight too quickly. Good lifts even though you said you had a crappy week. Also, what supplements did you order?
    I usually weigh myself in the morning after I take a leak to determine my weight. As of this morning I was about 193 morning weight. The 198 was last night before I went to bed. So I think Im up about 1.5 - 2 pounds actually.

I ordered two 5 pound AllMax Nutrition Allway Protein. Some Allmax Creatine Mono hydrate. I also ordered a couple shaker cups and a pair of new gloves.

Last week I ordered a couple bottles of pre-workout supps. They had raving reviews, however I have taken them two times and hadn't really noticed anything so Im contemplating sending them back.

Things are looking good so far and it's good to see you found this site so early on in your training to get you going in the right direction. I also think that despite your back injury you should still lower the weight and practice proper form. There is no substitute for free weights. What gym are you working out at?

Good luck with your training
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Huget View Post
    Things are looking good so far and it's good to see you found this site so early on in your training to get you going in the right direction. I also think that despite your back injury you should still lower the weight and practice proper form. There is no substitute for free weights. What gym are you working out at?

Good luck with your training
    World Gym

Yah Im defiantly going to have to start doing the deads properly.

Wannabebig Member
    I just realized that I was suppose to be doing chinups, but instead have been doing pullups. Im going to start doing chins now and correct the mistake I have made.

Wannabebig Member
    8 Dec 2009 (Week Two)

Workout B

Squat 3x5 145pnds
    Standing Military Press 3x5 80pnds
    Pendlay Row 3x5 90pndsx2 100pndsx1

Situp Machine 3x5 55,60,65pnds

Squats- Didnt go up this workout. Im concentrating on the form and ATG.
    Press- Felt Good. Move up a bit next workout.
    Row- First time doing these rows. Worked on form mostly. Weight felt good.
    Chins- First time doing the chins rather than the pullups like Ive been doing.

I got my supps. Started taking the creatine mono I got. Im taking 10g a day. 5g in the morning and 5g after my workout. From all Ive read this is correct. If not let me know.
    Last edited by -RL-; 12-12-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Nice workout. Theres nothing wrong with doing pull-ips but throwing in chin-ups is good too as chin-ups are easier to do for most people. I take 5g of creatine before my workout and 5g after just because its what it recommends on the bottle. But im sure the way your doing it is fine
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    9th December 2009 (Week Three)

Workout A

Squat 3x5 140pndsx1 155pndsx2
    Dumbbell Flat Bench 3x5 45pndsx1 50pndsx2
    Deadlift 1x5 205pnds
    Assisted Dips 2x8 45pnds

Hyperextension 3x8 35pnds
    Situp Machine 3x5 60,65,70pnds

Squats- The first set I did I thought it was 145, not 140. Whoops. Hammered out the 155x2, thats a new PR. Nothing huge but progress none the less.
    Bench- Lost my 5th rep on the 2nd set of 50pnds. I lost it on my left arm, right arm had lots to go. Made up for it on my 3rd set and hammered out a solid 6 reps.
    Deadlift- YES A REAL DEADLIFT! Felt awesome. Working on the form as I hadnt done them in awhile. I will continue doing them with a bar now. I learned my lesson.
    Dips- Concentrating on hitting the chest on these. No progress this week.

Thats 2 workouts in a row using no machines on the main exercises. Feels way better, like I'm actually doing something. Ive been wondering if dumbbell bench is harder to do than barbell bench? Im also doing my 2 warm up sets before every exercise, I hope thats fine.

Finally, I didn't mention this in my original post, but this program calls for a couple additional workouts in week three and so on. They will only take place on the last workout of every week. So Im looking forward to it. It goes as follows:

Parallel Bar dips or incline skullcrushers - 2 x 8-12
    barbell/DB/EZ-Bar curls - 2 x 8-12

10th November 2009

Thought Id add that I weighed in at 193 this morning dry.

Just in case you don't know what I mean by dry, thats after a piss n ****.
    Last edited by -RL-; 12-10-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Nice PR on the squat and it's nice to see some real deads. Keep it up.

Check out this article on creatine dosage taken right from this website. It will help save money
    http://www.wannabebig.com/supplement...sing-schedule/
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Wannabebig Member
    Huget- Thanks for the article.

11 Dec 2009 (Week Three)

Workout B

Squat 3x5 155pnds
    Standing Military Press 3x5 85pnds
    Pendlay Row 3x5 105pnds
    Assisted Chinups 2x8 65pnds

Squat- Squats were good, but they are starting to feel heavier now. I may only be slowly progressing from now on.
    Press- Presses went up 5 pounds. I still feel like I could go more. Leave that for next workout session.
    Rows- Really trying to work on form still. Using the mirrors to assist me the best I can.
    Chins- Made a little progress here also.

I went to the gym before work today and I ran out of time. I got all my main exercises done so that was great. I'm sure a skipping a day of hypers and situps wont kill me. I also had a brutal headache the whole time I was working out so Im sure that effected some of my lifts. The headache was really killing me on the squats especially.

Wannabebig Member
    I was messing around with fitday and I came across something that made me laugh.