It gets pretty complicated...
    Thanks, I will see.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Go with the Ace for Longevity Alone. I used the same one for 2 years and 8 meets. I didnt need a new one until I out grew it. Plus the straps dont have ot be balls tight. You can get them set where you want them and sliding them off an on will be easy while alone. I wore just an Ace without briefs as well. for a while. The suit is so thick briefs wont be needed for a while.
    Thanks a lot Scott, yeah my plan was to use the suit with-out briefs.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Thank you very much everyone, very helpful.

I do have to train mostly alone for now but I get my training partner back later.

I see that training in gear is tricky and not ideal with-out a coach or team but I have no choice, and I know for a fact you can still get very strong.

My training partner now has a 500lb raw squat @ 160 training mostly alone in a very simple gym THIS IS STRONGER THAN MOST HERE!
    As far as I know that's the best in Australia or close, done in two years.
    There are guys that weigh 100 more and can't match that so you do not need to train with a team it's just much better.

Thanks again very helpful!!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

You're misunderstanding what everyone is saying.

Training alone isn't a problem at all. It's not ideal, but it certainly can be done.....raw

Training in gear alone is a mistake. Training in multiply gear alone is a super mistake. A lot of us on here have been doing this for a long time and one thing you learn is that when things go wrong in gangster gear, it happens super fast, in the blink of an eye and people get hurt, sometimes even when you have the appropriate safety precautions in place, so doing it alone only increases the risk of getting hurt badly tenfold.

You always have a choice though, just depends on how much you are willing to sacrafice to get it. Most of us who train with big teams often sacrafice time with the family, job, vacation time, lots of money, what have you.

Always better to be safe than sorry though

And don't be mistaken, there are a LOT of 500lb raw squatters on this board

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

Training alone isn't a problem at all. It's not ideal, but it certainly can be done.....raw

Training in gear alone is a mistake. Training in multiply gear alone is a super mistake. A lot of us on here have been doing this for a long time and one thing you learn is that when things go wrong in gangster gear, it happens super fast, in the blink of an eye and people get hurt, sometimes even when you have the appropriate safety precautions in place, so doing it alone only increases the risk of getting hurt badly tenfold.

You always have a choice though, just depends on how much you are willing to sacrafice to get it. Most of us who train with big teams often sacrafice time with the family, job, vacation time, lots of money, what have you.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I have had to sacrifice a lot in my life for sports, see my signature.

Out of interest how many can squat 500@160 raw?
    Are there really a LOT here?
    Last edited by NickAus; 11-30-2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Not to thread hijack but since this thread is already up and running might as well throw it in here. If I am sizing out a new Metal Pro suit and already have a pair of Ace briefs to wear underneath should I be going up an additional size to accommodate for fitting the briefs underneath?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Not to thread hijack but since this thread is already up and running might as well throw it in here. If I am sizing out a new Metal Pro suit and already have a pair of Ace briefs to wear underneath should I be going up an additional size to accommodate for fitting the briefs underneath?
    Yep for sure, the briefs are meant to be very think and bulky.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    The pro stuff stretches likes hell, take that into consideration. May not have to get a size bigger...
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I agree with bell on the safety part of it all...It can def be dangerous and made alot harder by not having anyone around to help...I know/know of a cpl ppl that are really good multi ply lifters that train alone. Chris Hiage(sp?) hes a 275 lifter and is around a 2200 total...does most of his squating alone and from vids looks like he does the same as you with bands to hold boards even with a shirt. His best is 710...I think hes got a 800 squat too. and jason adams..I know him...he doesnt powerlift anymore but trained alone the whole time he did it...he was close to 2k at 198.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I agree with Travis. I wish you the absolute best, but the bottom line is it is dangerous to train in gear by yourself or with minimal/inexperienced spotting.

And yes, your friend has very good raw strength for his size....but that has nothing to do with training in gear alone.

Good luck with whichever route you take!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I have had to sacrifice a lot in my life for sports, see my signature.

Out of interest how many can squat 500@160 raw?
    Are there really a LOT here?
    you sound like one of the guys who you run into while you're lifting who say how much their cousins sisters boyfriend squatted back in highschool. not very becoming on your character. who cares how much your friend squats? and why are you insulting the guys on this board because you honestly don't know how much they can each lift. sure there are new lifters here but this site also carries more high caliber lifters than any other forum so i'm sure other people have equally impressive lifting abilities. stop asking what you should do because before you even posted this you chose the metal ace. sorry for the rant it just ticked me off when you insulted the members on this board.

i know you may not have meant for it to be insulting but to me personally it was. i used to think you were a decent poster but you really sounded pompous.
    Last edited by endymion88; 11-30-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Don't mean to hijack, but out of the 3 suits Boss, Ace, or Pro, what would he the best to also pull sumo in? I'm at the same point as the OP, but only have cash for 1 suit. Sorry for imposing. Just didn't want to start a new post on same issue.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Brian an ace is really good for sumo

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I agree with Travis. I wish you the absolute best, but the bottom line is it is dangerous to train in gear by yourself or with minimal/inexperienced spotting.

And yes, your friend has very good raw strength for his size....but that has nothing to do with training in gear alone.

Good luck with whichever route you take!
    Thanks, I do see what people are saying and safety has to been top priority.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by endymion88 View Post
    you sound like one of the guys who you run into while you're lifting who say how much their cousins sisters boyfriend squatted back in highschool. not very becoming on your character. who cares how much your friend squats? and why are you insulting the guys on this board because you honestly don't know how much they can each lift. sure there are new lifters here but this site also carries more high caliber lifters than any other forum so i'm sure other people have equally impressive lifting abilities. stop asking what you should do because before you even posted this you chose the metal ace. sorry for the rant it just ticked me off when you insulted the members on this board.

i know you may not have meant for it to be insulting but to me personally it was. i used to think you were a decent poster but you really sounded pompous.
    Listen, all I was doing is pointing out that you can do very well training alone, I do see now that raw strength and training alone with gear is different.

It really was not meant to insult.

I also said I had learnt the shirt on my own and gone from 350 to 525 in a pretty short time, ME not my friend.
    I said this to illustrate that you can learn and train in gear with-out a team.

Yes I was leaning towards the ace from the start big deal, people confirmed for me that canvas was a bad idea alone.
    Don't ****ing tell me not to ask, if I had not asked I would not have known.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I will hold off on the idea until I at least have my training partner back, no point getting hurt and not being able to train at all.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Just be sure to take some really good safety precautions when training alone in gear. Early on I had a couple of instances in gear where I was trying to get depth in the SQ and kind of "collapsed" because I got out of the groove. Thankfully I had good spotters and everything turned out fine.
    I've only had one training partner for the last 3.5 years or so. We are both reasonably experienced in gear and haven't had any big issues. When we go heavy we often hook up some spud straps as a spotting device on the monolift in case something goes wrong. Another thing we sometimes do is put a short box underneath us when we SQ in heavy gear in addition to the spotting straps. This would allow us to sit down on the box and lean forward to get the straps to catch the bar if we miss. We've never had any major incidents, but we put these safety measures in place anyway.