Thread: Stupid biceps will not grow...

Stupid biceps will not grow...

I got back into weight training in April after a long hiatus and since then I have only gained about 15 lbs (I didn't want to bulk and be a fatass through summer). I am now roughly 164 lbs at 5'9" and my biceps are 14" and have been since April. I only do ONE workout specifically for biceps (standing curls).

Also, before my hiatus and when I was on my bulk (probably 2 years ago) I was up to about 177 lbs and my biceps were only 15". Is this genetics that I have super small biceps or am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Morox; 11-26-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morox View Post
    I got back into weight training in April after a long hiatus and since then I have only gained about 15 lbs (I didn't want to bulk and be a fatass through summer). I am now roughly 164 lbs at 5'9" and my biceps are 14" and have been since April. I only do ONE workout specifically for biceps (standing curls).

Also, before my hiatus and when I was on my bulk (probably 2 years ago) I was up to about 177 lbs and my biceps were only 15". Is this genetics that I have super small biceps or am I doing something wrong?
    Whats your entire routine?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

chins are great for biceps too.. BO Rows indirectly hit them

yeah post up your routine that would help

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Whats your entire routine?
    Monday (Chest)

-Bench
    -Incline Bench
    -Fly's

Tuesday (legs)

-Leg extension
    -Hack squat (no squat rack)
    -Leg curl
    -Calve raise

Thursday (back)

-Deadlift
    -Rows
    -Dips

Friday (arms/shoulders)

-Military press
    -Tricep extension
    -Upright rows
    -bicep curl

Well, 177 lbs at 5'9? I can see 15 inch arms. You wont gain weight? or am i reading what youre saying wrong?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Well, 177 lbs at 5'9? I can see 15 inch arms. You wont gain weight? or am i reading what youre saying wrong?
    It just seems like my arms should be bigger than what they are. Isn't 15" pretty damn small for 177lbs at 5'9"? I mean, my arms were 14" at like 148lbs before and it took almost 30lbs of weight to add 1 inch. Doesn't that seem a bit strange?
    Last edited by Morox; 11-26-2009 at 10:23 PM.

It just seems like my arms should be bigger than what they are. Isn't 15" pretty damn small for 177lbs at 5'9"? I mean, my arms were 14" at like 148lbs before and it took almost 30lbs of weight to add 1 inch. Doesn't that seem a bit strange?
    Maybe? 15 some isnt too bad at that height / weight. And of that 30 lbs, I mean, how much do you honestly think was solid muscle? Especially, how much of that 30 could have possibly been added to your arms?

My best advice would be to keep lifting heavy nd start eating more. I think you may need some weight on your frame (speaking without pics of course)

A 16 inch arm on a lean physique is an impressive measurement. Shoot for that and you'll be doing good.
    Don't compare yourself to the pro bodybuilders with 18 and 20 inch drug bloated arms.
    Last edited by Off Road; 11-26-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Get bigger, all over.

I know you don't want to hear this but getting to 200lbs is a MUCH better strategy for getting bigger arms than trying to specialize on your arms at your current bodyweight.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I only do ONE workout specifically for biceps (standing curls).
    I often see people state "my biceps" won't grow "I only have * arm" and the first thing that comes into my mind is "what do you do for your "triceps". Want big arms you need two things.

1. Get bigger all over like Daniel said.
    2. Get bigger Triceps.

Work on your lats it will push your arms out ha ha. I agree with Dan and Dmedley. I was like you, but I was 5'9" 158 lbs with 14 inch arms. I stared eating like crazy and doing compound lifts. I dont do anything specifically for arms really except weighted chins and dips and im still at 5'9" BUT 179 lbs, I havent measured my arms but I can tell you.. there bigger. Im staying at 180 lbs right now cause im going to california next month but when I get back ill finish my bulk for winter.
    Stats

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 179 lbs (Bulking) up 19 pounds !!

BP: 225 lbs
    Squat: 305 lbs
    DL: 345
    **Currently away from the gym due to working up north, but still eating like a horse.**

Wannabebig Member Pumping Manny's Avatar
    From what I read somewhere, normal man have between 11 and 14 inch arms.

With 15 inch arms it's already above average.

I'm about the same size has you (with 15 and a half). Don't loose any sleep on this. Like the others said, you have to take the whole body in perspective.

Build a simetrical physique, and then if your arms lack a bit behind try to improve them, not the other way around.
    5'8''
    180 pounds

Bench: 245*8
    Squats: 310*8
    Deads: 245*8

If you want bigger arms you are gonna have to get bigger.Period. With that said your routine isn't bad,however how many sets/reps are you doing? Are steadily adding weight to the bar? Especially in the big lifts (Dead,Squat,Bench,OHP) if you keep adding weight the rest of you will grow! Tom Mutaffis has some pretty slick ideas about "hybrid" training,low reps on main lifts for max strength gains and higher reps for acc work for size and strength! Seems to make sense!

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130783

If you haven't read this!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Get bigger, all over.

I know you don't want to hear this but getting to 200lbs is a MUCH better strategy for getting bigger arms than trying to specialize on your arms at your current bodyweight.
    quoted for truth.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Wannabebig Member
    I think eating and compound lifts/exercises are the only way. Dips, Chins, Pullups included with this. If you want to be 190 lbs muscle, you gotta go up to 210 lbs first then cut down to that. In other words, gain muscle while you put on fat, then cut back down to lower BF %. That's what I've learned so far...maybe it'll help you.
    Name: Adrian
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 142 lbs

Goal: To be 175-180 lbs @ 10% body fat.

If at first you don't succeed, YOU WERE TAUGHT BY LOSERS!

Your arms are not small.

Mine are ****, I can do 3 board board presses with 600 and my arms are only 16 @ 210-213.

You have just made the issue up in your head.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

In looking at your routine, you could put chest and shoulders together for awhile and then have a dedicated Tricep / Bicep day. This is what I did for years and it worked pretty well. I also let myself put on size all over. When I started my arms were 12.5 inches. After about 4 yrs. they were 18 flexed. Now they're 18.5 cold and 20 flexed. Here's what my routine looked like for a long time:

Tri's
    Close Grip Bench
    skull crushers
    pushdowns (various forms)
    one-arm reverse grip cable pushdowns (added in sometimes)

Bi's
    Barbell curls
    Alternating D-bell curls
    Hammer curls or Preacher curls

Here is a better question... OP, how much do you squat, DL and Bench press?

Quite frankly, at 5'9'' and 165 you need to worry about those three movements and not your biceps. At that height and weight anyone's arms would be small.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

You need to eat like everyone else said. I would also add one more exercise directly for your biceps and triceps. Do this exercise for 2 sets of 20 reps after your heavy work with curls and whatever you are doing for triceps. This will help with hypertrophy specific to the arms. With that said, you have to fuel the potential growth with sufficient calories.